Aftermarket Parts that Don't Fit

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 11:40 PM
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Post Aftermarket Parts that Don't Fit

Maybe this kind of thread already exists, but I haven't seen one. I was thinking we could list aftermarket parts that we've bought at AutoZone or wherever that didn't fit. It seems like the store computers just aren't right or something in a lot of cases. I have a few already for my 05':

• New drive axles at NAPA
  • Drive belt tensioner pulley at CarQuest and O'Rielly

What are some others that you've had to take back to the store? Maybe we can help prevent others from making the same mistake.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:17 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
Why not buy Acura parts from an Acurazine sponsor? The correct part for a good price without the return trip to a parts store selling inferior product.
Old 06-20-2012, 07:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,043 Likes on 848 Posts
I guess there could be some value here if you were stuck road side and needed a fix, but wouldn't it be better to post what does fit and the part numbers?

Also, you should have gotten a tensioner at the 105 service unless it failed before... right?
Old 06-20-2012, 09:09 AM
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts
Thanks, I was hoping this wouldn't turn into an argument about where to buy parts, or exactly what parts to buy. Every situation is different, and I guarantee that in some cases it makes more sense for someone to run down to their local Pep Boys to grab a part. I was hoping this thread might be a good way for that person to quickly check to make sure he wasn't getting the wrong part.

If we only give what does fit, this locks people in to one particular part/store. For example, I could say I got my pulley at AutoZone and give their part number, but what if someone doesn't have an AutoZone nearby? They'll try their luck at some other place. If we at least eliminate the parts we KNOW won't fit, this might in the very least prevent the frustration of making several trips to different stores looking for the right part. Process of elimination.

As for the 105 service, I'm not sure. It was performed at a dealer by the previous owner. But that was 55k miles ago, so perhaps it just failed again. I could definitely feel a wobble in the bushings, and the two pulleys were from different manufacturers, so one was apparently changed at least once before. I probably could have made the first two fit, but would have had to get a new washer, as the OEM dish washer would not clear the pulley housing.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Suzuka Master

I was thinking more for warranty purposes on the part/labor.

We have a thread for the cabin filter that lists all the part numbers at each store for the filter rather than going to the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
RL Chi-town (06-20-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 10:35 AM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
This is AcuraZine buddy, so arguments come with the territory buddy lol...

just ignore it and move on... people will jump on board...
Old 06-20-2012, 11:03 AM
Suzuka Master

haha, take your lumps and keep moving... unless its ramblings, then
Old 06-20-2012, 04:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
A size 24 battery that has fill caps that are not flush with the top of the battery will not fit from any store.
Old 06-21-2012, 01:47 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Oil filters NOT by Honda

Nearest Acura dealer 310 miles. Took my RL into a local "national" quick lube chain.

Hours later on the driveway..... LOTS and LOTS of fresh oil.

Ordered the correct filter (and washer) and a couple days later went back and handed them the CORRECT filter.

Barely got an apology.

Had a good friend (a lawyer) send a less than kind letter to the corporate office and local lube outfit. Corporate said "talk to the local franchise owner". Local franchise owner offered one free oil change. I explained the cost of a new RL engine and he shrugged. Some times I would like to

Moral - if you have other than Acura do the oil change skip the Fram, etc, and heaven forbid their no name no marking "just as good as the others" and just buy a few Honda filters.
Old 06-21-2012, 04:56 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
^^^^€
Is there a Honda dealer nearby? I understand your dilemma with no Acura dealer nearby, but I'd go to a Honda dealer as they can source Acura parts, before I went to Jiffy Lube.

The fact is, this car is so uncommon that good aftermarket parts are had to find. I see value in this thread if parts that are marketed as for the 2G RL don't fit....and in that case the manufacturer has to be notified too.
Old 06-21-2012, 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
NEVER GO TO JIFFY LUBE!!! Let your daughter change your oil before going to Jiffy Lube! Know why? See here: https://acurazine.com/forums/car-talk-5/another-jiffylube-nightmare-839065/

There are plenty of aftermarket filter makers that carry a Honda filter. I used Mobil 1 every time. Also, notice that I said "A Honda filter". Honda universalized their filter a few years back, so the same filter that fits a Civic DX also fits our RL and everything in between. If it is that hard to get to a dealer and doing it yourself is not an option, just buy a package of Honda filters online and bring them with you to the shop.
Old 06-21-2012, 10:55 AM
Chapter Leader (Chicago)

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
JIffy lube is bad... i work in the insurance industry... and i had a client go to JIffy lube to get an oil change. and well she is was so happy that they were nice to her...

When they were apparently done. she got in the car. and drove off. paid her bill. a few days later her car died. took it to the dealer...

and to her surprise lol... Her car had no oil lol... New Filter but no oil... WEnt back to Jiffy lube to cry and complain... And well they denied that ever happening and told her she should have checked her car before leaving the Jiffy...

sucks but true story....
Old 06-21-2012, 11:38 AM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
most part stores show the wrong wiper blade replacements
Old 06-21-2012, 12:01 PM
Suzuka Master

I would say all part stores have the wrong listing...
The following users liked this post:
RL Chi-town (06-21-2012)
Old 06-22-2012, 02:03 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Long time ago!

Originally Posted by neuronbob
^^^^€
Is there a Honda dealer nearby? I understand your dilemma with no Acura dealer nearby, but I'd go to a Honda dealer as they can source Acura parts, before I went to Jiffy Lube.

The fact is, this car is so uncommon that good aftermarket parts are had to find. I see value in this thread if parts that are marketed as for the 2G RL don't fit....and in that case the manufacturer has to be notified too.
LOL. That happened over 6 years ago, I was just saying..... don't use crap weasel oil filters.

In 'that' instance, it was a Sunday and I was planning on leaving for a short vacation (planning being the operative word) on a Monday and the local Honda shop was not open, otherwise I would have gone there. And that particular quick lube has been out of business for at least 4 years. Gee I wonder why?!?!

I bought my Integra in 95 knowing that it was a long distance to any Acura dealership. However, 11 years later that distance was one of the determining factors in selling my RL. Too many letters from Acura saying to drive to my nearest Acura dealership for "authorized" work got to be frustrating, the RL was not what I hoped it would be, and a few other reasons had me sell it to a friend in Arizona. That's why I'm hoping the next generation scratches all my itches and doesn't

Sorry if you all thought this was a recent happening

Last edited by Benush; 06-22-2012 at 02:06 AM.