Acura RL or Infiniti M35 sport

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2005, 03:35 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Acura RL or Infiniti M35 sport

Hey im in the market for either the RL or the M35 sport and im sure someone in this forum has been in the same quandary as i am in currently. I just wanna know why you would choose the RL over the M35 or vice versa. Also do they offer an A-SPEC body kit for the RL like they do for the TL?
Old 10-10-2005, 05:44 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
With the current discounts, go with the RL

Here is a member's beautiful A-spec RL:

Old 10-10-2005, 08:06 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by kpat82
Hey im in the market for either the RL or the M35 sport and im sure someone in this forum has been in the same quandary as i am in currently. I just wanna know why you would choose the RL over the M35 or vice versa. Also do they offer an A-SPEC body kit for the RL like they do for the TL?
The M Sport w/ Aero Kit would be equivalent to RL A-SPEC.

Try these threads:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=817

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=601

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=529

Also visit a new dedicated M Forum: www.infiniti-driver.com
Old 10-10-2005, 09:11 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
If I was in the market for something AWD, I'd get the RL.

If I was in the market for something with a powerful V6, I'd get the RL.

I was in the market for RWD and a V8. I got an M45 sport. If Acura offered the RL with what it has now, but with a V8, I probably would've gotten the RL.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Choosing a car is such a personal thing that it's hard for me to believe that there are people who care about the reasons why others choose this vs. that - in the end, one has to live with one's choice. My advice to you would be to buy what makes you happy based on whatever qualities/attributes you deem most important, and regardless of what others thought when they made their choice.
Old 10-10-2005, 10:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 996 Likes on 530 Posts
I'll say what I always say, drive both cars and buy the one that YOU like better. My decision to by the RL over the M was based on MY preference of the exterior styling of the RL and MY preference of the interior of the RL. The only thing that I will mention is that, if AWD is an important feature for you, don't equate the M's AWD system with the RL's - the SH-AWD is a wonderful technology that is definitely a step above standard AWD systems. Once you drive the RL aggressively (something not always possible during a test drive) on dry pavement OR on wet snowy roads, you will feel the difference that it makes to the handling and you will understand exactly what I mean. Good luck in your choice.
Old 10-10-2005, 11:05 AM
office monkey

Got to go drive both.

If you want an AWD car and IMO the nicer interior then the RL would be yuor best choice. If AWD isnt important and you want RWD then go for the M35.

Aside from those two things both cars seem to be pretty similar.

Now if you dont need a car the siz eof the M and RL and want a nice sports sedan i say go get a loaded Lexus IS350.

I wouldnt mind trading my RL in on the IS350 but I dont want to take the damn resale hit especially since I havent had the RL for a year. hehehe
Old 10-10-2005, 11:05 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by hondamore
I'll say what I always say, drive both cars and buy the one that YOU like better. My decision to by the RL over the M was based on MY preference of the exterior styling of the RL and MY preference of the interior of the RL. The only thing that I will mention is that, if AWD is an important feature for you, don't equate the M's AWD system with the RL's - the SH-AWD is a wonderful technology that is definitely a step above standard AWD systems. Once you drive the RL aggressively (something not always possible during a test drive) on dry pavement OR on wet snowy roads, you will feel the difference that it makes to the handling and you will understand exactly what I mean. Good luck in your choice.

Very well put. Also, use the search function, you will find several threads with the exact debate - M vs RL.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:30 PM
Banned

Of course you are on a Acura forum, but I will say the M35 is one hot ride. That car is a better looking, better handling, better overall car than the RL.
Old 10-11-2005, 08:35 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tunerman
Of course you are on a Acura forum, but I will say the M35 is one hot ride. That car is a better looking, better handling, better overall car than the RL.
What does a Tunerman drive?
Old 10-11-2005, 08:37 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hothonda
What does a Tunerman drive?
Depends, had many cars. But right now a 05 G35.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:27 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

That car is a better looking, better handling, better overall car than the RL.
I disagree.
Old 10-11-2005, 09:41 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I disagree also - but that is also a reason why I bought the RL.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:11 PM
The Yankees SUCK !!!

Ok so I guess this is going to turn into a "burn the RL" thread. I on the other hand, will have to bow-up and defend the RL. There is always someone from someother board, be it the Lexus board, or the Infiniti board, that comes on this site and takes cheap-shots on the RL. While I havent frequented other message boards, my guess is that there isnt alot of RL fans going onto their boards and posting flames. This can only be for one reason...........they cant stand that their cars arent as complete a package as the RL, and they cost more. It's kinda like the whole "small dick=fast car" analogy.

My suggestion to you GS and M fans is to go drive your car around and try to pick-up girls, although it might be tough with your GS looking like a Nissan Maxima, and your M looking like a bloated G35.

In all reality it doesnt matter what I think, or what the first or last person to rip on me for this thread thinks, all that matters is what you feel is the best car for you. Take it from a member with an SCCA license, drive the RL a few times=) !!!
Old 10-11-2005, 10:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mrdeeno
If I was in the market for something AWD, I'd get the RL.

If I was in the market for something with a powerful V6, I'd get the RL.

I was in the market for RWD and a V8. I got an M45 sport. If Acura offered the RL with what it has now, but with a V8, I probably would've gotten the RL.
Why do you say that?
On paper the RL has more hp, but in road tests, the M35x is faster and feels stronger.
Old 10-11-2005, 10:59 PM
Racer

The gearing on the M35 is more agressive than on the RL. If I recall correctly and they printed it right the rpms at cruising speeds are a buzzy 3K in the M but only a tad over 2K in the RL. I haven't dared step on the RL yet (sub 200 miles) but it's no slouch. Very responsive when blipping the throttle at 70 Mi/h. I can only imagine how much fun it'll be once properly broken in.

Honestly I see no need for a V8 in an RL yet. More parts that can break. This engine is so smooth and refined there's no need for more cylinders. It seems to fit the car just fine. You could argue that Acura had balls to produce a car like this and dare to put a V6 in it because in fact it is 'good enough' for most people. If I wanted pure muscle I would have gone for a GTO or Cobra. The RL is fast yet refined. Excellent.

Of course all of the above is IMO but you know that already
Old 10-11-2005, 11:18 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by psteng19
Why do you say that?
On paper the RL has more hp, but in road tests, the M35x is faster and feels stronger.

Because if I was in the market for an AWD v6 car, my preferences would be much different than what they were when I bought the M45...I like the RL's interior better than the infiniti and I like the sh-awd better than the M35x's system.
Old 10-11-2005, 11:51 PM
Instructor

You are absolutely right! Now go sell the G and buy the M.
Old 10-12-2005, 08:48 AM
office monkey

Why do you say that?
I didnt even know the M35X has been tested by mags. I have seen the M35 reviews but not M35x...I highly doubt the 35X is quicker than the RL since the RL is not that much slower than the 35.

Despite this, who cares? They are so close nobody should really notice a difference in real world driving. 2 tenths of a second in 0-60 acceleration or 1/4 mile acceleration isnt going to be really noticed.

I also think the "feels stronger" stuff is useless. WTF cares what a car "feels" like if it isnt actually doing what it "feels" like.

IMO the RL is a hard to beat overall package at its current discounted prices (even at its MSRP it is hard to beat based on its competitors) even if it is a whopping couple tengths slower in acceleration than a competing model and anyone who really would buy a 40-50K luxury sports sedan based off a couple tengths of quicker acceleration has some serious issues...I'd say small dick complex like venom mentioned.

Having said that, I am sure the M35, M35x, or whatever else is a good overall car as well so you cant go wrong.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:13 AM
8th Gear

Edmunds.com had a comparison test of all-wheel drive sedans and the RL came out #1. M35X received 3rd place.
Old 10-12-2005, 12:59 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Rob L
I didnt even know the M35X has been tested by mags. I have seen the M35 reviews but not M35x...I highly doubt the 35X is quicker than the RL since the RL is not that much slower than the 35.
FYI: Consumer Reports had an AWD Comparo.

Infiniti M35x:
0-60 MPH - 7.0 Seconds
60-0 MPH - 128 Feet
Fuel Economy - 18 MPG

Acura RL:
0-60 MPH 6.9 Seconds
60-0 MPH 131 Feet
Fuel Economy - 18 MPG
Old 10-12-2005, 05:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Fatalvenom
While I havent frequented other message boards, my guess is that there isnt alot of RL fans going onto their boards and posting flames. This can only be for one reason...........they cant stand that their cars arent as complete a package as the RL, and they cost more. It's kinda like the whole "small dick=fast car" analogy.

My suggestion to you GS and M fans is to go drive your car around and try to pick-up girls, although it might be tough with your GS looking like a Nissan Maxima, and your M looking like a bloated G35.
Well Fatal,
I will not digress to your level of trashing, I will say I love both cars.
In the end, I bought an M35x (1 week old now), despite the great cashback deal on the 05 RL's.
I do not regret it for one second, my only regret is that I cannot own one of each!
In the end, cooled seats, backup cam, split screen/birdview NAV with DVD player & video/audio inputs were a few of the many reasons I went with the M despite paying more $$$.
I aslo like the choice of Satellite systems in the M, I prefer Sirius.
I also like the fact they they offer a full size spare option, (complete with proper wheel). That is a must 4 me!
I like the real time tire pressure display also. It reads out pressures of all 4 tires.

I do not care for NAV traffic or Onstar, & would not opt to pay for a subscription to either one.

Is the "M" a better car than the RL? Absolutely not, just has features that suit me better.
You can't go wrong with either one!
I am impressed with what the Japanese are doing at both Acura & Infiniti!
I feel a bit of remorse not purchasing American, but with cars like these, GM can kiss my ass goodbye for the forseeable future!
Old 10-12-2005, 05:13 PM
Racer

Congrats on your new car Steve! I was just telling a friend of mine over lunch that the M has the RL beat for the features you can add to the car. It's just that the M gets to be so darn expensive once you load it up with the goodies you need. Actually a billboard with the M got me started considering a Japanse car to replace my S. I sat in an M45 but never drove it. Too spendy for me (M35x) when you add nav and some other toys. Lane changer stuff and backup cam I can do without.

Actually one other reason I didn't seriously consider the M35x was the apparent high rpms at cruising speeds. Had I been more serious about the M I would have tested it myself but I think I read this in the review that Infinity gave me a copy of when I checked out the car. What rpms do you spin at when you're doing say 70 Mi/h? In the RL it's a touch over 2K.

Thankfully there are different cars to choose from.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by msu79gt82
FYI: Consumer Reports had an AWD Comparo.

Infiniti M35x:
0-60 MPH - 7.0 Seconds
60-0 MPH - 128 Feet
Fuel Economy - 18 MPG

Acura RL:
0-60 MPH 6.9 Seconds
60-0 MPH 131 Feet
Fuel Economy - 18 MPG
Edmund's comparo

RL:
0-60 - 7.4s
1/4 mi. - 15.2s
1/4 trap - 92.6

M35x:
0-60 - 6.9s
1/4 mi. - 14.9s
1/4 trap - 90.1
Old 10-12-2005, 06:13 PM
Instructor

Before I purchased my RL a few months ago I visited the Infiniti dealer for a comparison. In addition I have been keeping up with the car magazine reviews.

It seems that in general, the RL is a Luxury car that is sporty. The interior is so comfortable and the overall feel with the quality wood confirms that.

The M35 was a Sports cars that offered some luxury. It were fine, except my priority was luxury in my AWD vehicle. The sporty aspect and 0-60 time was secondary.

As many of the previous posts point out, it's more than just a comparision of features. You need to pick the car that meets your criteria and it's up to you to set your own objectives.

The vast majority of people on this board would make the same decision again because this car is a good match for their objectives and critera. The same goes for people on the Infiniti boards.

Hope that helps.

Just remember YMMV,

Dave
Old 10-12-2005, 08:45 PM
Instructor

IMO the M35/45 and RL are far from sport sedans, they are mid level luxury sedans with more than enough power for public driving. The 545i, S4, and CTS-V are sport sedans (I see plenty of them at the AutoX and SCCA sessions where their power can be put to safe use.. I have yet to see a M35/45 or RL at the track).
Old 10-12-2005, 09:00 PM
office monkey

Edmund's comparo

RL:
0-60 - 7.4s
1/4 mi. - 15.2s
1/4 trap - 92.6

M35x:
0-60 - 6.9s
1/4 mi. - 14.9s
1/4 trap - 90.1
edmunds got the slowest 0-60 yet for the RL...they should feel proud.

Edmunds is such a rag site...some of the crap they come up with just amazes me.
Old 10-13-2005, 09:57 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by WhitePearl_RL
IMO the M35/45 and RL are far from sport sedans, they are mid level luxury sedans with more than enough power for public driving. The 545i, S4, and CTS-V are sport sedans (I see plenty of them at the AutoX and SCCA sessions where their power can be put to safe use.. I have yet to see a M35/45 or RL at the track).
White Pearl RL hit the nail on the head.......these cars are not high
performance sedans! I considered the TOTAL PACKAGE when I purchased; Styling of both the interior & exterior, Honda quality & reliability, the experience I've had with my dealer's service dept, SH-AWD, Price, gas mileage etc... I decided the best car for me for around $50K was the RL. You want a sedan with speed and power for cheap?
Get a CTS-V and receive all the wonderful benefits of owning a GM
vehicle....
Old 10-13-2005, 06:30 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ASP
I disagree.
Unless you can prove otherwise you are wrong. All the tests show the M35/45 kill it in every catagory.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:53 PM
Instructor

M35/45 kill it in every catagory.
The M45 should not be compared because it's in a different class. V8, no AWD and priced much higher when comparably equipped. IMO the M35 and RL are pretty much alike - power, looks, quality, etc. We would be splitting hairs one way or the other - you obviously like the M35 and more power to you. Many of us in this forum obviously prefer the RL and we showed it by buying it.

Enjoy your Nissan, I'll enjoy my Honda. I had a '90s 350Z that I really loved - it was a great and fun car to own.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:55 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

Unless you can prove otherwise you are wrong. All the tests show the M35/45 kill it in every catagory.
What? Did you even read what you typed or the rest of this thread for that matter?

Again, I disagree with your "(1) That car is a better looking, (2) better handling, (3) better overall car than the RL." statement.

Here is why I disagree:

1. The M35 looks like a fat (not phat) G35; which is ugly IMHO. The interior is also very disappointing. The wood looks like crap and there is a ton of plastic "space" in the center console area. Looks like something is missing to me.

2. I actually drove both. The RL's handling was much nicer, particulary when getting on it on curvy highway onramps. No comparison. I can't wait to strap on the A-SPEC suspension and some nicer rubber.

3. Car and Driver, Edmunds, myself and several others disagree.

Enjoy your G!
Old 10-13-2005, 08:23 PM
office monkey

I'd say implying the M45 AND M35 kill the RL in every category is quite a stretch but hey, people can think whatever they want even if it makes no sense like some on the IS300 website trying to imply a loaded IS250 AWD at 40K is a great deal and ignoring my statement about how you cna get a better loaded RL for low 40s and it betters the IS250AWD in every category aside from fuel economy and turning radius...drove a 250AWD last night. Not bad but not worth the price they list it at. Lexus has dropped the ball in general on the new IS pricing but that is a whole diff subject so I shall shut up here...

All I know is I'm done trying to preach logic to people when they make silly comments. heh
Old 10-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Nocturnal
........Actually one other reason I didn't seriously consider the M35x was the apparent high rpms at cruising speeds. Had I been more serious about the M I would have tested it myself but I think I read this in the review that Infinity gave me a copy of when I checked out the car. What rpms do you spin at when you're doing say 70 Mi/h? In the RL it's a touch over 2K.
Eh Noc,
Yes, the "M" hi rev RPM issue has been brought up before. I will check out the RPM's & let you know what they are at 70.

The rev's at cruising speed do not seem to be an issue to me, that is I do not notice them as being high. (I hate high revving buzzers myself)!

What I do notice on moderate to heavy acceleration with the "M" is a nice throaty engine sound eminating from the engine into the cabin. Sounds great for a V6!
In comparing the M to the RL, the engine sounds in the cabin are notibly different. The RL upon acceleration is swift & quite. The M is not as quite, you can hear the engine open up, but it sounds real sweet! Not at all discomforting, load or buzzy, just a nice throaty sound from the engine. I really hesitate to call it "engine noise", and it does not "protrude" into the cabin by any means.

I really do like the way Acura & Infiniti put "souls" into these cars! You guys that love your RL's know what I'm talking about!

Yea, anyone can say an M is a Maxima, or an RL is to Honda Accordish in style.
You can say the M interior has controls that would make an ATM machine proud, or that the RL has a control panel lifted from an AIWA boom box.

FatalVenom reminds me that my M is no chick magnet, & that it is a substitute prosthetic for a male organ of mine that is way too small, thus making me purchase the car to begin with!

In the end, both these cars are far more than that, and those comments are just petty arguments said in the name of brand loyalties!
Old 10-14-2005, 01:26 PM
Racer

i too would choose the M35 over the RL is pricing wasnt the #1 factor. the M is my favorite car out there--but of course that is 100% personal preference. i cannot argue anyone wanting the RL--its a great car, and if the almight dollar was my deciding factor, i beleive it would be a great car/choice. however, if i wanted to be a car in that class and wasnt looking for the lowest dollar, i would choose the M

i prefer the interior...and leg room in the back is, imo, leaps and bounds greater then the RL. my shoes wont fit under the seat in the Rl...of course i wear a 14. but i have plenty of leg room and comfy room in the M.

i alsp prefer the sportier dash in the M. i personally dont car for the wood trim in the M and i love it in the Rl, but in the M i like the aluminum.

fi my next car wasnt going to be in the $35,000 range--either a G35 or TL--i would get the M

but again, this is a win win decision
Old 10-14-2005, 01:48 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by 1HOT NSX
The M45 should not be compared because it's in a different class. V8, no AWD and priced much higher when comparably equipped. IMO the M35 and RL are pretty much alike - power, looks, quality, etc. We would be splitting hairs one way or the other - you obviously like the M35 and more power to you. Many of us in this forum obviously prefer the RL and we showed it by buying it.
Agree. RL should be compared against the M35. Both are very nice cars with their respective pluses and minues. No car is perfect. Personnal preferences will make one choose one over the other.

I respect those who say they like one car better than the other, but any who try to claim that EITHER car is not a good car is too biased to be taken seriously. Good luck to all owners of WHICHEVER car they choose and enjoy.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:02 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Rob L
edmunds got the slowest 0-60 yet for the RL...they should feel proud.

Edmunds is such a rag site...some of the crap they come up with just amazes me.
I agree Edmund's is crap, but I think they test cars the way they feel most drivers would, i.e. non-agressive launch from a stop.
Probably explain the slow times they get.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:38 PM
Burning Brakes

I'm not really sure why you guys are arguing. Most of the debate here is about things that are subjective. Exterior and interior styling? Ride comfort? Come on - someone might like the ride in a 1981 civic dx better, it doesn't make him wrong (just crazy!). I think they're both beautiful cars. The RL has very aesthetically pleasing natural lines, while the M35/45 is aggressive looking, and has one of the best rear profiles I've seen in a long time. I personally like the interior of the RL better, but that's just because the M's center console reminds me of my G - too busy. I do kind of wish the RL had more backseat, but I am willing to forgive it because it's not a large car, which I like. I think the M is more sporty (even the 35), handling seems a little tighter, less floaty, however the RL is a better cruiser (in my opinion, of course).

Neither is fast, 6.5-7.x to 60 is not fast, neither are 14.x second quarter miles. Both have good power for daily driving and some occassional fun, arguing over which will kill which at the track is just silly. Hey maybe I'll go watch my neighbors race their Dodge Caravans. You get the idea.

This kind of reminds me of the TL vs G arguing (G owner: What, it's FWD!?! LOL!, TL owner: HAHA nice "brushed alumunium plastic!"), you get the idea - they both have their relative merits. In this case I think the M and RL are even more similar then the G and TL - trying to discredit one just makes you look ignorant.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:28 PM
The Yankees SUCK !!!

My post wasnt intended to scare off potential buyers of the M35/M45. My only point to what I was wrote was to fend-off the potential "sheep" buyers of the M. There are more than enough people who all of a sudden want an "M", but I remind them everytime, how much HP does the Jaguar S-Type R have ??? Or how much better handling is the RL compared to everyother 40,000+ sedan. Case closed =)
Old 10-15-2005, 12:03 AM
Banned

Don't even go there with the interior when it was rated higher than the RL is a few tests. The RL has a lot of plastic interior pieces and the wood isn't REAL WOOD like the Infinit/Lexus has. Wow you really tested the handling of the cars on a test drive.

Originally Posted by ASP
What? Did you even read what you typed or the rest of this thread for that matter?

Again, I disagree with your "(1) That car is a better looking, (2) better handling, (3) better overall car than the RL." statement.

Here is why I disagree:

1. The M35 looks like a fat (not phat) G35; which is ugly IMHO. The interior is also very disappointing. The wood looks like crap and there is a ton of plastic "space" in the center console area. Looks like something is missing to me.

2. I actually drove both. The RL's handling was much nicer, particulary when getting on it on curvy highway onramps. No comparison. I can't wait to strap on the A-SPEC suspension and some nicer rubber.

3. Car and Driver, Edmunds, myself and several others disagree.

Enjoy your G!
Old 10-15-2005, 01:31 AM
Burning Brakes

I don't discount that someone may have had a different driving experience than me, but I strongly disagree that the handling of the RL is better than the M in the corners. I found the RL has more body roll and the steering is a little twitchy, being fwd bias. The M has that typical rwd, point and accelerate into the turn type feel. I am going to drive another RL tomorrow, so maybe my impressions will change. Before anyone takes this the wrong way I don't feel the M is a significantly better handler, or the RL is a bad handler at all - just that right now the M seems like the better of the two in terms of handling, to me.

(oh, and I actually like the interior of the RL better...real wood or not. )

Quick Reply: Acura RL or Infiniti M35 sport