View Poll Results: How do you like 'em?
I love them! They are neat
82.54%
They are a bit annoying...
4.76%
Don't care either way
12.70%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Active Front Headlights: do you like it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 10:58 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
Look at this catfish...

Originally Posted by TLXLR8S
check out this $452,500 supercar.
and its a mercedes SLR mclaren. i wonder why they did that

i quote from the web site "Bi-Xenon High Intensity Discharge low-beam headlamps with automatic level control, halogen high beams, clear high-impact polycarbonate lenses, and heated headlamp washers."

wierd that it says bi-xenon and has halogen high beams

http://www.mbusa.com/brand/container...R&class=05_SLR
'Cause that car is too low and needs more wider light source like halogen to help with???

Old 01-07-2005, 07:49 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phile
Very few cars actually have 2 xenon bulbs. I only know of the Maserati Quattroporte using 2 xenon bulbs for each of its 2 headlight clusters (most cars have one xenon, one halogen).
I thought so too. My sales rep also told me it is illegal to have a bi-xenon where one is for the high beam.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:09 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 8-)
If the low beams were halogen instead of Xenon, would they even bother with the active headlights? I'm thinking the active headlights are used only because of the directional nature of the Xenons. I'm still not digging the Xenons.
I dunno, when I saw the difference between my dads 03 maxima xenons and my halogens, I was converted( kinda felt like I had been in the dark ). The xenons are far superior. Directional, not at all, the xenons cover the road from left to right. Xenons coupled with active headlights would just offer even more of a superior angle as the car was turned.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:11 PM
Safety Car

Think the poll should be, "they are functional" not "they are neat."
Old 04-21-2005, 03:42 PM
Instructor

Turning off the DRL?

Ok, after all I've read on here, I can't determine whether you CAN or CANNOT turn off the Daytime Running Lights (DRLs).

PLEASE tell me you can disable them in the menus someplace. I hate those things. If not, has anyone found the right fuse to pull or wire to cut?

I would *think* that you'd be able to turn them off in a $50K car...
I hope my thinking is right!

Randy

P.S. - I know some people think they add safety, e.t.c., but I hate the way they look, and hate seeing them on other vehicles as well. I don't like not having control over my own lights; I'm someone who has never and will never used the "auto" feature for turning on your headlights when it gets dark...
Old 04-21-2005, 04:42 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by RandyChicago
Ok, after all I've read on here, I can't determine whether you CAN or CANNOT turn off the Daytime Running Lights (DRLs).

PLEASE tell me you can disable them in the menus someplace. I hate those things. If not, has anyone found the right fuse to pull or wire to cut?

I would *think* that you'd be able to turn them off in a $50K car...
I hope my thinking is right!

Randy

P.S. - I know some people think they add safety, e.t.c., but I hate the way they look, and hate seeing them on other vehicles as well. I don't like not having control over my own lights; I'm someone who has never and will never used the "auto" feature for turning on your headlights when it gets dark...
I know with Volvo you can have DRL's deactivated for a fee. M-B offers to have or not have them but I'm not sure if it is something the driver can do on a whim. BMW can be programmed to have them based on which key is used. So you could have them off and a second driver could have them on. I doubt the RL gives owners the choice. It is all or nothing.

Now for the Auto thing. Well it is a plus for me to drive my TL at night and not deal with switching on the lights. It's one less thing IMO. Auto wipers would be great as I hate switching between the speed sensing INT settings. No one setting seems that good. Now I do like Acura giving owner the choice to have auto on or off unlike the majority of GM cars/trucks. Lights just come on when they feel like it. Of course few GM cars have electoluminescent gauges.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:16 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 180 Likes on 129 Posts
I too would really like to eliminate the ding-ding for the lights on and the door open. I have called 2 service departments and they cannot tell me how to remove it. I think the ding ding is dedicated to this function therefore it could be removed from the circuit board if somebody could tell me its location. All my other cars I did this to and its a large project to find the thing, the audio is very non-directional.
Help please.
Old 04-27-2005, 09:29 AM
Pro

Why Acura put the ding-ding in their modern cars is beyond me. All Acuras minus the NSX have Auto off lights. That in and of itself makes the warning stupid.

You'd think when they bought any Lexus to evaluate that they discovered then you leave the lights on and open the door, the lights go out. When you set the lights to auto, open the door there is no ding-ding and after 30 sec the lights go out. Open the door and no ding-ding. I would even guess that the "pathway" lighting M-B uses doesn't make any dinging sound when the door is opened and the lights are on.

But we all have to admint, Acura does some odd things.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:05 AM
Three Wheelin'

Is there any evidence that anybody at Acura monitors this forum?
Old 04-27-2005, 10:10 AM
Pro

Originally Posted by db22
Is there any evidence that anybody at Acura monitors this forum?
I do know they monitor Temple of VTEC forum as Honda execs have made comment of that.

That is not to say they don't monitor this site as well. There are some Honda employees on this board as well as those who are "close" to the company is some way.

Justin comes to mind. In the past he as been a wealth of info. There are others too, but I remember Justin the most as he goes back to the old days when many of us were a part of the "other site" and did a mass exodus to this one.
Old 04-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Three Wheelin'

Talking of Acura doing some odd things - Why can you not display instantaneous fuel economy when the cruise control is on?
Old 04-27-2005, 11:04 AM
Pro

Talking of Acura doing some odd things - Why can you not display instantaneous fuel economy when the cruise control is on?
That is odd. I wished the TL had instantaneous fuel econ in stead of the average econ that mean NOTHING as it up dates ever so slowly.
Old 04-27-2005, 11:14 AM
Three Wheelin'

BTW - Yesterday the AFS light came on and flashed on the dash, another warning on the display in the dash and a diagnostic message appeared! It suggested that I cycle the ignition to reset the system and if it did not clear, to contact my dealer. The reset worked but the diag message is retained for Acura to reset at the next visit. This all happened during the daylight so no headlights were necessary! May I assume from this that the headlights move with the steering even though it is light outside? With so many warnings and displays there is no doubt that you have a problem.
Old 05-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by phile
This got me thinking when I was in traffic behind a new 5-Series...it doesn't have LED rear lights, yet the 3-Series does.
Manufacturers know that LEDs are cheaper, more effective and safer so why don't they use them? They could easily tout them as a safety feature (which some companies have done already.
The most effective use of LEDs is the CHMSL and the use of Yellow LEDs for turn signals.
Can anybody explain to me why the TL has red indicators instead of the world standard of yellow. It puts the car in the "Detroit" catagory, not an import and as previously stated; red is not as safe.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:01 PM
Pro

Manufacturers know that LEDs are cheaper, more effective and safer so why don't they use them? They could easily tout them as a safety feature (which some companies have done already.
The most effective use of LEDs is the CHMSL and the use of Yellow LEDs for turn signals.
Can anybody explain to me why the TL has red indicators instead of the world standard of yellow. It puts the car in the "Detroit" catagory, not an import and as previously stated; red is not as safe.

The TL does not have LED turn signals. Only the CHMSL, tail/break lights, front and rear side marker lights are LEDs.

I'm not sure of what empirical evidance their is to support that claim. Red is not that distinctive compaired to yellow.

Also Infiniti's G35/35c have red turn signals.

You can tell when the blinker is on as you can with the TL, TSX, and RSX.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:13 PM
1st Gear

Active Headlights Are Hot. Wish The Left Headlight Turned Too
Old 05-03-2005, 01:48 AM
Instructor

Both left and right headlights turn up to 20 degress as part of the new RL's Adaptive Front Lighting System (AFS), with an important exception. From a dead stop the right headlight will turn right, when you make a right turn. But from a dead stop the left headlight will not turn as you make a left, to prevent it from pointing at oncoming traffic. When you make a broad left turn while driving, however, the left headlight does turn. Also, the AFS system works in conjunction with an automatic vehicle height system to adjust the vertical aim of the front headlights, in case the car is not level. The AFS system can be turned off via a button on the dash.

There are lots of special settings/features for the RL's lighting systems. With the "auto" setting you can have the lights come on and turn off as you please (you can even adjust the sensor's reaction to light) and you can have the fog lights come on and off with the headlights. You can set the interval for the headlights to turn off and the RL will even turn off all the exterior lights and instrument panel lights if you leave them on (provided you turn the ignition switch to lock).

Check the owners manual for even more features with regard to the lighting system.
Old 05-03-2005, 09:42 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
The TL does not have LED turn signals. Only the CHMSL, tail/break lights, front and rear side marker lights are LEDs.

I'm not sure of what empirical evidance their is to support that claim. Red is not that distinctive compaired to yellow.

Also Infiniti's G35/35c have red turn signals.

You can tell when the blinker is on as you can with the TL, TSX, and RSX.
I did not state that the TL has LED's, I stated that it has red indicators. I made two points: 1, the LED's are faster reacting and therefore safer and 2, Yellow turn signals are safer bacuase, as you stated, red is not as distinctive as yellow.

I cannot find evidence of this in the USA but I'm not sure that it is necessary. Drive in traffic, while it is raining on a 5 lane freeway and watch people changing lanes. In the unlikely event that they use their indicators you will notice the yellow ones as a lane change and the red ones as either a brake or a lane change. The subsequent determination from the two possibilities is what takes the additional time and therefore reduces the reaction time. It is so obvious that even the NHTSA didn't think that a study was necessary. Of course, it could be that the rest of the driving world is wrong, it it a well known fact that the USA is noted for its autobahn expertise!

I would expect red turn signals on a Nissan that is why most of the people in this group owns an Acura.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:15 AM
Pro

The only car I am aware of that uses LED turn signals that are yellow is the current 3 Seriers coupe.

For the sake of aesthetics yellow may have looked odd. Now if Acura were to do what VW and Audi has done which is have yellow indicators with red covers then looks would not have mattered.

Who knows what the update will bring.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Precision Crafted
The only car I am aware of that uses LED turn signals that are yellow is the current 3 Seriers coupe.

For the sake of aesthetics yellow may have looked odd. Now if Acura were to do what VW and Audi has done which is have yellow indicators with red covers then looks would not have mattered.

Who knows what the update will bring.
So you noticed the yellow LED's on the Beemer, then they obviously made an impact.

BTW Cadillac Catera '00 = yellow LED's and I've seen others too.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:21 PM
Three Wheelin'

So you noticed the yellow LED's on the Beemer, then they obviously made an impact.

I was just imagining a TL with SH-AWD. My imagination added a few toys, more luxury, a little prestige and voila - an RL appeared!
Old 05-03-2005, 02:08 PM
Pro

I didn't think the Catera had yellow LED's. I've missed that one!

Even the red blinking LED's on the Infiniti FX and Caddy DTS and STS looks distinctive due to the rate at which they flash.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:24 PM
Pinky all stinky

Received 189 Likes on 117 Posts
I think they do, too. It also looks more expensive to have LED blinkers along with LED taillights, because you can tell when the blinkers are non-LED while the rest of the lights are LEDs. But I'm one of those who belive yellow turn signals are more noticeable than red.