3 channel brake control
3 channel ABS

as implemented on the RL

Thanks
Old 07-02-2009, 10:20 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
*sigh*

Chas....I thought YOU were the brake, wheel and tire supreme being?

I have been worshipping a false deity.

VEHICLE STABILITY ASSISTTM WITH TRACTION CONTROL

Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®) is standard equipment on the RL. It uses electronic traction control and ABS functions, combined with yaw and longitudinal/lateral acceleration sensors to quickly detect if the vehicle is about to understeer or oversteer. It then reduces engine output and applies one or more individual brakes to stabilize the vehicle—often before the driver is even aware of the instability.

4-WHEEL VENTILATED DISC BRAKES WITH ABS AND ELECTRONIC BRAKE DISTRIBUTION (EBD)

In keeping with the athletic capabilities of the RL, Acura designers upgraded the 4-wheel disc brakes to create a true high-performance system. They targeted the braking performance of top-level competitors from Audi, BMW and Mercedes-Benz as the benchmark to meet or exceed.

Up front, 12.6-inch diameter cast-iron ventilated front rotors team with 4-piston aluminum brake calipers. These multi-piston calipers are extremely rigid and are derived from racing applications. In back, 12.2-inch diameter cast-iron ventilated rotors, attached to their hub via lightweight aluminum collets, are gripped by one-piston aluminum calipers.

The RL includes Electronic Brake force Distribution (EBD) that automatically adjusts the front/rear brake pressure to suit conditions, while an anti-lock braking system (ABS) helps the driver retain directional control in hard braking situations. Also included is 4-channel Vehicle Stability Assist™ (VSA®).

BRAKE ASSIST

Brake Assist helps drivers apply full braking pressure in an accident avoidance situation. To do so, a microprocessor continually analyzes and "learns" the driver's normal braking habits—monitoring both the rate of pressure applied and the total pressure that the driver normally applies to the brake system.

If the driver suddenly applies the brakes, Brake Assist brings the system to full ABS activation to help stop the vehicle in the shortest distance possible. It is only activated when the microprocessor detects that certain brake pedal speed and pressure thresholds are reached.

Importantly, Brake Assist helps the driver obtain full braking performance in an emergency. The Brake Assist system deactivates when the driver releases pressure on the brake pedal.

It may not explain the exact detail you request...but the best I can find on short notice.

http://corporate.honda.com/press/article.aspx?id=4203
Old 07-02-2009, 10:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 378 Likes on 198 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
I think I know the answers, but can someone explain the differences between

4 channel VSA
3 channel brake control
3 channel ABS

as implemented on the RL

Thanks
4 channel VSA means that each of the four wheels is controlled independently as a part of the stability control system.

3 channel abs means that the abs system is set up with each of the front wheels with an independent abs channel while the rear wheels share a single abs channel (check the abs pump in the engine bay and you will see only 6 lines leading to it, 3 are for flowing out, 3 are for flowing back in).

I presume that the 3 channel brake control is in reference to this as well.
Old 07-02-2009, 12:16 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Thanks for the inputs.

This is what I thought, but I had seen these specific references in several Acuranews.com articles or Acura.com web sites, particularly the use of "3 channel ABS" when describing the braking system, but switching terminology when describing how the 4 channel VSA works with "3 channel brake control". I presume the brake references are one in the same, but wanted to do some fact checking.

And Tampa, we are all false deities, most especially me!
Old 07-02-2009, 02:33 PM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
Thanks for the inputs.

This is what I thought, but I had seen these specific references in several Acuranews.com articles or Acura.com web sites, particularly the use of "3 channel ABS" when describing the braking system, but switching terminology when describing how the 4 channel VSA works with "3 channel brake control". I presume the brake references are one in the same, but wanted to do some fact checking.
Not sure if they are "one in the same". The 3 channel ABS works with the 4 channel VSA but they have different functions. The ABS modulates braking when panic stops are sensed. The 4 channel VSA strives to keep control of the vehicle when the traction is compromised. At least that is my understanding of how it works.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:11 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
I was actually surprised that the RL only uses the older, less capable three channel ABS systems, rather than a 4 channel system, and how they overlay that with the 4 channel VSA and SH-AWD, which in itself is kind of a 3 channel system.