2013 RL debuts at 2012 NYC Auto Show

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012 | 01:11 AM
Drifting

The ILX looks GREAT. it looks far more luxurious than I was expecting. The powerplant is not all that inspiring..but then again it is meant to be an entry level luxury car. It has nice lines and looks classy. I am predicting it will sell well.

the new RDX looks like a baby MDX, which is smart. the MDX is a very good product for Acura, it sells well...and the RDX will entice people who like the MDX but either don't need a vehicle that big or can't afford the MDX price.

the NSX is flat out bad A$$. it looks awesome. If they can make it fast enough to run with the big boys... regardless of how well or poorly it sells - it will give Acura some street cred. Even though most Acura customers will never buy an NSX.. the fact that Acura has it on the market... will give the brand some added value.

I think Acura did a great job. I'm very optimistic about the new RL. Not that I plan on replacing my 06 anytime soon...but if these three cars are a sign of what Acura can do - i am betting the new RL is going to be extremely competitive in its segment!
Old 01-15-2012 | 08:57 AM
Alpha Geek

Originally Posted by oo7spy
Apology accepted.
I was aplologizing for you, so that works I guess. I thought it was obvious what I was getting at.
Old 01-15-2012 | 09:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by SSjTrunks112O
It would be a bad move to get rid of the TSX but this is coming from the same people that brought you the beak & let it live on thru the lineup's next generations!

But hey what do we the consumer know..
Acura sounds like it has a plan and is fixing perhaps its biggest problem - that its models are cannibalizing themselves.

Acura is looking to better differentiate their sedans. The ILX is going to a fun compact car. The TL should be shrunk down in size a bit (at least from an exterior stand point) while the RL's successor has to be larger and more powerful to clearly stand above the TL in Acura's sedan hierarchy. There's really no room for a TSX.

Another note on the TSX - rumor is that the next Accord sedan will the same worldwide (no more seperate models for North America and Europe). If true, the TSX is almost guaranteed to be snuffed out.
Old 01-15-2012 | 11:39 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Guy Legend
Another note on the TSX - rumor is that the next Accord sedan will the same worldwide (no more seperate models for North America and Europe). If true, the TSX is almost guaranteed to be snuffed out.
That would be an interesting development. It seems generally agreed that the current U.S. Accord is too big, and the next one will shrink a bit. The TL, of course, is closely based on the U.S. Accord, so that presumably will happen to the TL as well.

However, my understanding was that Europe has very specific tax-based limits on size by car class, including width. To stay within them, the Euro Accord (a.k.a. our TSX) is a bit too small to keep up with the U.S. Camry and Sonata in the space race. Honda tried an Accord here in the mid '90s that was smaller overall and in the back seat than the Camry, and sales suffered for it. I don't think they'd be wise to try it again... although wisdom hasn't exactly been Honda's strong suit the last few years.
Old 01-15-2012 | 11:58 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by lumpulus
I was aplologizing for you, so that works I guess. I thought it was obvious what I was getting at.
I was being a smart-ass. I getcha. Thanks for letting me pick your brain.
Old 01-15-2012 | 09:40 PM
Senior Moderator

I had not seen the other pictures of the ILX until now. Just noticed the LED DRL strip a la MB.

The back as an G35-esque trunk with A5 or XF tailights.

And the profile that gives the IS 250 impressions.

And there are three engine options which seems to be a first for Acura which typically sticks to 2 at most. Also, push to start. For some this means "luxury".
Old 01-15-2012 | 09:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by lumpulus
ILX does it have SH-AWD? couldn't tell. If it doesn't, wouldn't even consider it.
No it doesn't. Remember this car will probably be priced at $25,000 to $32,000 depending on options. Low intro price, high content per dollar and more importantly good fuel economy are essential for a car of this type.
Old 01-16-2012 | 06:18 AM
Three Wheelin'

So it's an Acura IS240?
Old 01-16-2012 | 03:34 PM
Alpha Geek

Looks too much like a 3 Series from direct side on view. If it had an AWD option I would consider it, so I guess I won't be getting one.

BRING BACK THE RSX!!!!
Old 01-16-2012 | 06:30 PM
Senior Moderator

I think the company road map showed a coupe option in the future.
Old 01-16-2012 | 09:29 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by Guy Legend

Originally Posted by TonyCD
That would be an interesting development. It seems generally agreed that the current U.S. Accord is too big, and the next one will shrink a bit. The TL, of course, is closely based on the U.S. Accord, so that presumably will happen to the TL as well.

However, my understanding was that Europe has very specific tax-based limits on size by car class, including width. To stay within them, the Euro Accord (a.k.a. our TSX) is a bit too small to keep up with the U.S. Camry and Sonata in the space race. Honda tried an Accord here in the mid '90s that was smaller overall and in the back seat than the Camry, and sales suffered for it. I don't think they'd be wise to try it again... although wisdom hasn't exactly been Honda's strong suit the last few years.

Wow very interesting rumor.. I suppose it would make sense for Honda from a global standpoint if this actually pans out..
Old 01-17-2012 | 06:31 AM
Racer

per dealer TSX is out. At the NAIAS the Acura display was OK. The ILX and RDX were off to the side a bit with very little fanfare, lights etc. The NSX was center stage on a flat rotating platform. The lighting was conservative as was the model and her presentation.
Compared to the Lexus LF-C concept, or even the new Ford Fusion, presentation Acura was behind in the game. The Lexus was on a tilted highly lighted stand, complete with an over the top interior, doors open to highlight, it really drew a crowd.
The ILX had black cardboard covering the interior so that if you leaned over the railing and peaked inside all you saw was the top of the steering wheel. Was hoping to get a peek at the inside design direction.
Acura rep would not confirm RL at NY show, doubted it would be out this year.