2010 RL - Will Acura Finally Get Their Sh** Together

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 7 Posts
i like the 09 RL. i get to drive one whenever I want since I work for an acura dealer. The inside is almost identical but the outside looks great I think. my wife likes her 06 better but it's a matter of opinion. I think the 09 looks more high end
Old 06-21-2009, 05:10 AM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm for a restyle too.

The current styling is "ok" but its nothing to drool over. The only good thing they have going for them is technology and interior design but not buyers have seen the interior because they are already turned off by the exterior which makes these cars rare on the streets because they actually never gave it a chance to like it.

The benchmark is set high for 2010, if their plan is to try and stick out and "look different from the others" that plan needs to be smashed and just make something that looks good.

I would be satisfied if the 2010 had 2 trim levels, "1: a rugged mean douchebaggy look that has been to jail multiple times and is currently on probation" and "2: a conservative looking family sedan but f**k with it and its on (which it is currently)"

Also it would be nice if the options list was updated with things like heated steering wheel, lane blind spot assist, heated rear seats, active suspension control, maybe even a short and long wheelbase.
Old 06-21-2009, 08:48 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by BigKat103
I would be very surprised if Acura really changes anything about this car over the next 2 model years. That hasn't been Honds/Acura's MO on any model in the past.
I have to agree. There are several operational components to the next RL which have all been put in flux.

The new assembly plant in Yorii plant (also in Saitama prefecture) was to open in 2010 has been cancelled, delayed. It was expected this plant would take on assembly of the RL/LEGEND, ODYSSEY, ACCORD/TSX and the Sayama plant would be closed for rehab and retool.

The new engine plant in Ogawa (again in Saitama) was rumored to produce the V8 (and NSX V10) is also canceled / delayed.

The large engine green diesels are cancelled, delayed. There was speculation these would be implemented in the MDX, RL and possibly PILOT and RIDGELINE.

The next gen RL was to also coincide with the Acura brand launch in Japan and Russia. Both canceled. Further, the timing of the brand launch with a next gen RL would have prevented redundancy of the Honda LEGEND and the Acura RL in the same market (being the same car). I further suspect the intent was to market the flagship sedan only under the Acura brand and discontinue the Honda nameplate. There has been much press overseas that LEGEND is too much for the Honda brand .... hence the shift to Acura only. But again...a Honda version could continue to sell in other world markets where Acura is unknown.

Add this all up and I think the ramp up time would put us into 2011 (the earliest), possibly as a 2012 model. Honda may just want to play the waiting game on the market and economy. And as usual..we will likely get very little info as to what we can expect.
Old 06-21-2009, 10:07 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Yes, there has been at least one article on a website that stated 2013 or 2015 would be the earliest for RWD and V-8. I would have to search for that article. No time now.

But Tampa is right, supporting info on production facilities as well as past history does not support anything earlier than 2011. And it is not as if they have a market position to preserve at this point.
Old 06-21-2009, 11:43 AM
Safety Car

Received 88 Likes on 79 Posts
Originally Posted by ssim3
They also need to offer a rwd option, because the awd only costs them a lot of sales.
Audi offers both and I barely see one without quattro...
Old 06-21-2009, 12:55 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
Yes, there has been at least one article on a website that stated 2013 or 2015 would be the earliest for RWD and V-8. I would have to search for that article. No time now.

But Tampa is right, supporting info on production facilities as well as past history does not support anything earlier than 2011. And it is not as if they have a market position to preserve at this point.
Here it is, Nov 2008

http://www.egmcartech.com/2008/11/26...ed-until-2015/
Old 06-21-2009, 01:28 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am seeing he start of publications getting us ready for $6 gasoline in years to come, will change everything at a faster pace. Honda with THEIR new president is after 100 mpg cars, or equivalent. I think this is mostly old Honda that is being discussed here.
It will take 3-5 years for his role to be really felt.
Old 06-22-2009, 08:25 AM
05 slate grey e500 AMG sp

Originally Posted by 037
Audi offers both and I barely see one without quattro...
Audi offers FWD not RWD. In the south I do not see any awd M's, E's or 5's only RWD. People want a cheaper, simpler, lighter more efficient rwd option.
Old 11-18-2009, 04:03 PM
I never mind driving

2010 RL Test Drive

I test drove the 2010 RL from my local dealership several times this last week and I pushed the car hard on and off the highway. I am extremely impressed with the car front to back and spent two 20 minute stints exploring the car after the test drives. It is by far the best RL I have seen or driven to date. I've owned Acura's my whole life, test driven every generation of the TL and RL and trully feel this time they may have gotten it right.
Old 11-22-2009, 10:04 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
This article expands on Ito's comments that the Acura brand is not focus going forward. Changes in direction and products (again). In the interim, slow moving, slow volume.

http://www.autoweek.com/article/2009...NEWS/911029995

The points I noted were one new model per year in this transitional stage to smart, efficient luxury. Would this translate to....

2010 ZDX
2011 TSX wagon
2012 Rumor of entry level RSX replacement
2013 RL ???

If Acura is to zig into efficient luxury and zagged away from V8 RWD....would the next RL be the showcase model to do this?

The R&D is 'back to the drawing boards' as mentioned in this article. hopefully 'smart' applies to the design school as well instead of vulgar.
Old 11-27-2009, 10:07 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
I have to say I'm disappointed Acura didn't at least drop the new 6spd tranny into the 2010 RL to breathe a little life back into it. It would have helped that miserable 16/22 mpg EPA rating, and probably have given the car a little more lively feel performance-wise.

On top of that, they didn't even upgrade the Nav to TL spec, so there's no improved didplay and no real-time doppler radar. And why on earth the taupe interior is now available only with that fugly charcoal-colored "wood" is beyond me.

This has me waiting for the 2010 Infiniti M - a 7spd AT coupled to either a 330hp V-6 or a 400+hp V-8 look promising. It's not scheduled to debut until April, but I'm getting itchy for something new (not to mention the lease payment on the big Lexus is eating my lunch ).

Old 11-27-2009, 11:18 PM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I have to say I'm disappointed Acura didn't at least drop the new 6spd tranny into the 2010 RL to breathe a little life back into it. It would have helped that miserable 16/22 mpg EPA rating, and probably have given the car a little more lively feel performance-wise.

On top of that, they didn't even upgrade the Nav to TL spec, so there's no improved didplay and no real-time doppler radar. And why on earth the taupe interior is now available only with that fugly charcoal-colored "wood" is beyond me.

This has me waiting for the 2010 Infiniti M - a 7spd AT coupled to either a 330hp V-6 or a 400+hp V-8 look promising. It's not scheduled to debut until April, but I'm getting itchy for something new (not to mention the lease payment on the big Lexus is eating my lunch ).

And it being in the shop with it's engine apart lately too eh?
Old 11-28-2009, 12:25 AM
2013 RL or bust

ATTN ACURA: 2011 RL or BUST.. suckas....

...Audi, Lexus, BMW, Mercedes... All will see me.. IF... you FAIL in FALL 2010.....

Most likely Audi will see me, or Lexus.....

I'm an optimistic man Acura, please.. don't make me leave you behind, please.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:31 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Sorry to hear about issues with the Big Lex, Mike.

Unfortunately, the next RL is MIA for at least another model year. We are hopeful we'll see something for the 2011 MY (e.g. next year) but it's not looking promising. I'm hoping for something that will bring me back to Acura. I'll always have a Honda in my garage, but an Acura too?....we'll see....

In the meantime, the CTS-V is treating me surprisingly well.
Old 11-28-2009, 10:51 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by pimpin-tl
And it being in the shop with it's engine apart lately too eh?
LOL. Yep, it spent the better part of 19 days in the shop, some of waiting for a part, and the rest ... ?

They finally got it back together, and it's like nothing happened, but that was a strange experience for a Lexus!

Old 11-28-2009, 11:08 AM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by neuronbob
Sorry to hear about issues with the Big Lex, Mike.

Unfortunately, the next RL is MIA for at least another model year. We are hopeful we'll see something for the 2011 MY (e.g. next year) but it's not looking promising. I'm hoping for something that will bring me back to Acura. I'll always have a Honda in my garage, but an Acura too?....we'll see....

In the meantime, the CTS-V is treating me surprisingly well.
Yepper - the 2010 is apparently already in dealerships, and I sure thought they'd give it a little boost with the things I mentioned above ... but alas, they chose not to for reasons I can't fathom. I guess they just want it to die and go away.

Seriously, with a 6spd AT and the TL's upgraded Nav, I could give it a go, since there's a lot to like in the RL. But it seems odd to me that they'd just blow off the dust, hang a 2010 sign on it, and suffer through another year with it, unchanged. It looks the automotive equivalent of seppuku (harakiri) to the untrained eye.

Good to hear the CTS is keeping you happy. You may remember I folded my two Acuras into the Lexus, and took a large hit when I did it, so the monthly outlay for the LS has been - shall we say - somewhat distorted for the past two years. I've now reached parity, where I can stop the bleeding without incurring a bunch of negative equity like last time, and as much as I love the LS, I may sacrifice it in the name of fiscal responsibility.

The question is which way to go from here!

Old 11-28-2009, 12:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike_TX
But it seems odd to me that they'd just blow off the dust, hang a 2010 sign on it, and suffer through another year with it, unchanged. It looks the automotive equivalent of seppuku (harakiri) to the untrained eye.
Honda's already made its money on the RL and passed on its more successful attributes (SH-AWD, knob for navi interface, high-quality screen, etc.) down the Acura line, so they can give two rat's heinies about the RL now.

One only hopes they don't let the RL drift for nine years with minimal changes, like they did with the 1G RL.

There is movement on the Power Phlegm beak, however. There's a rumor that Acura is considering making an accessory grille for those who (like me) think the grille looks fugly.
Old 11-28-2009, 08:14 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by neuronbob

There is movement on the Power Phlegm beak, however. There's a rumor that Acura is considering making an accessory grille for those who (like me) think the grille looks fugly.
One can hope ...

Old 11-30-2009, 12:33 AM
2013 RL or bust

I saw a couple TL's with that "chain fence style" grille but they need to put a grille off the MDX or 05-08 RL in the accessory book for replacing their new NASTY NASTY looking grilles.