2006RL Homelink Programming

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 04:47 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2006RL Homelink Programming

If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Bought a 2006 TSX and a TL in December of last year. Had no trouble programming the homelink on either car the day we brought them home. Two weeks ago, I traded the TL for an 2006 RL, and all my problems began.

I have been unable to program the homelink in this or two other new RL's the dealer gave me to drive.

I have followed to the letter - and I mean to the letter, the instructions from the owners manual, the Homelink web site, and other forum posts. I have tried with the ignition off, on, and on my $%^& head.

It is a rolling code transmitter, has anyone experienced this issue, and if so, did you find a resolve.

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-11-2006, 05:32 PM
Racer

The only thing I can think of is whether you hit the learn buttin on the garge door opener and the hit the button in the car. But if you said you did everything I am sure you did that as well
Old 06-11-2006, 06:28 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by jfprl
The only thing I can think of is whether you hit the learn buttin on the garge door opener and the hit the button in the car. But if you said you did everything I am sure you did that as well
[IMG]2006RLandTSX[/IMG]
Thanks for your help. Did that too. Still no luck.
Old 06-11-2006, 07:08 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by dirkpitt
If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. Bought a 2006 TSX and a TL in December of last year. Had no trouble programming the homelink on either car the day we brought them home. Two weeks ago, I traded the TL for an 2006 RL, and all my problems began.

I have been unable to program the homelink in this or two other new RL's the dealer gave me to drive.

I have followed to the letter - and I mean to the letter, the instructions from the owners manual, the Homelink web site, and other forum posts. I have tried with the ignition off, on, and on my $%^& head.

It is a rolling code transmitter, has anyone experienced this issue, and if so, did you find a resolve.

Thanks for your help.
Yes, I have experienced the same thing. All I can tell you is that you keep trying until it works. In the end, I don't know what I finally did to make mine work. It happened to me with my old RL (a 2000) and my new one too (a 2005). I had no problem, however, programming it to open my in-laws door that is also a rolling code opener. Pull the plug on the garage opener unit and leave it unplugged for a while. I think that or the resetting of the red button on the opener a couple of times is what eventually made mine pick up the code. Sorry I cannot be more precise.
Old 06-11-2006, 08:06 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Strange. Our Homelink #1 is set for our garage door. #2 is set for the front gate at my parents home, which is about 15 years old, and #3 is set for my inlaws garage. No problems at all when programming.
Old 06-11-2006, 10:27 PM
Intermediate

Thanks for your help.
I'm having the same trouble. I've linked my two garage doors easily. Then I tried it with the third door with a rollling code and still have not been able to make it work. Will try it another time when I'm less frustrated.
Old 06-11-2006, 11:02 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by jfprl
Go here http://www.homelink.com/training/train.taf
Old 06-12-2006, 03:21 PM
Advanced

I had the same issue with mine I had no problem with my MDX and with the TL, but for some reason it didn't want to take with the RL. All I can suggest is to keep working at it. I reset my transmitter also a couple of times just so I could start from scratch. I have both garage doors and my front gate all using rolling codes. It took a while, but I finally got them all to work
Old 06-12-2006, 03:55 PM
1st Gear

I'd go to the Homelink URL posted by MikeGY. I have a 2004 MDX that I was never able to get the Homelink working with my rolling code garage door opener. My husband just bought a 2003 Lexus that he couldn't get working. With that, we looked online and found that we had to 1. clear the memory 2. use the handheld transmitter pointed at the homelink AND 3. use the train button on the garage door opener. We had only tried doing 1 and 2 and then 1 and 3 because our owner's manuals seem to indicate that was what the procedure was. We found out better online. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2006, 07:22 PM
9th Gear

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by hoofandclaw
I'm having the same trouble. I've linked my two garage doors easily. Then I tried it with the third door with a rollling code and still have not been able to make it work. Will try it another time when I'm less frustrated.
Though I still haven't had success with the programming of the Homelink, I am beginning to experience other issues. Drinking. This also was not a problem for me prior to the RL / Homelink adventure.

I will now do the following, cancel all codes, unplug the unit. Have a beer. Use hand held first, plug in the unit, have a beer, hit retrain button, and do this three times. Have another beer. Cancel all codes again, hit retrain button, have a beer, complete steps 1-3 four times. Have a beer.

On completion of final beer, I won't give a damn if it works today. Will follow same programming process again tomorrow.

Will keep you folks advised of my progress.

Old 06-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Advanced

The instructions are incorrect. Call the Homelink 800 number in the Acura manual that should help.
Old 06-14-2006, 05:39 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
I had some issues when I first tried to program my rolling code opener. Finally did a complete reset of the in-car unit to make sure I had a "clean slate" to work with. From what I remember, that seemed to do the trick.

The OTHER thing I've run in to is that the rolling code receiver (garage door opener etc - Genie in this case) had a limit of how many tranmistters it would pair with. But I believe that resulted in the last one programmed working (and the next to the last one dropping off - say it could hold 8 codes...#8 programmed and worked fine until #9 was programmed, then #8 would no longer work while 1-7 remained working).
Old 06-18-2006, 10:15 PM
9th Gear

Well, I just picked up my new RL on Friday. Friday evening, I thought I was going to shoot myself trying to get the Homelink buttons programmed. I have a rolling code system and though I followed the instructions to the letter, I couldn't even get past the first step. I finally gave up. Until Saturday, when, on a whim, I reset the Homelink buttons and, surprise, surprise, everything worked fine after that. I think that if the buttons get programmed before you get to them, they won't recode without clearing the memory first.

Try holding the #1 and #3 buttons for about 20 seconds or so. The Homelink light will flash quickly indicating that the buttons are reset. Then try following the instructions.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:05 PM
10th Gear

Arrow 2006RL Homelink Programming

Yep, been there, done that. I too had problems getting the Homelink to work my Genie garage door opener. It too uses a rolling code xmitter. Followed the directions to the letter many times. No luck. Finally, one of 2 things finally got it to work:

1) I got on the phone with Homelink customer support. Good people. We tried everything he could suggest and finally he said he would send me a different garage door remote and I should try programming with it. The unit came, I tried it and at first it didn't seem to help.

2) However once, for no good reason, after going through the whole procedure, I pushed the Homelink transmitter button for a few seconds rather than just a quick push. Viola, it worked.

My best guess is that #2 was the fix. On my old garage door remotes, a quick 1 second pop is enough to work the door. It seems the Homelink unit requires one to hold the button for 3 or 4 seconds. Give that a try. If not, call Homelink.
Old 06-24-2006, 06:53 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

I've seen the same thing jaykimba (? not sure I got that right) has seen. The Homelink transmitters in the RL (and the TL for that matter) require a longer press than a (Genie at least) remote button. Seems you get used to the button "quick press" and think that the buttons in the car are not working.

I find that for best results, I push and hold until I see the door start to go up - or at least it seems that long to me. <g> FWIW I think that the transmitter in the RL needs to be held yet longer than the one in the TL. Impression, not research on that.

Tom
Old 07-05-2006, 10:17 PM
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Solution

Here's a post that I made after I fixed the Homelink issue with my TL. I hope you find it useful:

Definitve Guide For Homelink Set-up

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People:

The manual for our TL leaves out important steps for programming the car's Homelink system for those of us that have "Rolling Code Systems"- any newer garage goor opener. I was on the phone with Wayne from Homelink for an hour to get my system up and running for my 2 Acura vehicles.

1-800-355-3515
www.homelink.com

1. Position vehicle within 10 feet of garage door- engine off and battery on.

2. Press/hold 2 outside buttons of Homelink transceiver until red indicator starts flashing rapidly, then release button. This should take about 20 seconds. This erases any previuosly learned codes.

3. Press/hold remote control button and press/hold button of Homelink transceiver simultaneously. Slowly move remote control from 5" away to 1" away. Release both buttons after red indicator starts blinking rapidly. This should take about 5 seconds. I discovered that the Homelink in my TL is a bit faulty because it took much longer to accomplish this than when programming the Homelink in my MDX. My TL's Homelink may "unlearn" it's code in the future and the needed proximity of the TL to the garage door may be much closer than desired until I get the Homelink fixed.

4. Press training button on garage door opener unit until the indicator lights illuminates- this should be immediate.

5. Wthin 30 seconds press/hold the Homelink button for 2-3 seconds until the red indicator starts flashing rapidly. Repeat a second time. It should now be programmed. Check it by pressing programmed button on Homelink transceiver.

6. When programming more than 1 garage door opener unit, disconnect power from unit before programming more units.

Problems:

Battery in garage door remote control may be too weak to program Homelink. However, the battery may be strong enough to operate garage door. One of my remote controls had a weak battery- my system was installed today, fresh out of the box. I had to use the second remote control for the programming of Homelink on my 2 vehicles.

Antenna on garage door opener unit must be hanging down, fully extended.

I hope this is helpful for some people.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:26 PM
1st Gear

No Remote

Trying to program 3rd garage door to work with RL and 4 runner. We don't have the handheld REMOTE for the 3rd door.... can't find it.
Any ideas how to program the homelink without a remote for that door?
Old 10-29-2006, 09:22 PM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by jorillo
Trying to program 3rd garage door to work with RL and 4 runner. We don't have the handheld REMOTE for the 3rd door.... can't find it.
Any ideas how to program the homelink without a remote for that door?
I don't think you can.

You might as well try just pressing the "learn" button and seeing if it will link up with your Car's Homelink button, but as I recall, you have to start the training by using the remote.

May be time to buy another remote!

Old 10-30-2006, 07:10 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
I fought programming by Homelink for two weeks. I fianlly change the battery in my remote and it programmed flawlesly. Even though your remote may be able to open your garage door, it may not have enough juice to programm Homelink. Give a new battery a try.
Old 10-30-2006, 09:30 AM
AcurAdmirer

Received 352 Likes on 164 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
I fought programming by Homelink for two weeks. I fianlly change the battery in my remote and it programmed flawlesly. Even though your remote may be able to open your garage door, it may not have enough juice to programm Homelink. Give a new battery a try.
His issue is apparently that the remote itself has been misplaced.

Depending on the brand and the age of the opener, he may be able to buy a new one at places like Home Depot ... If not, a garage door opener company can handle it.

Old 10-30-2006, 10:22 AM
Intermediate

You just need to depress the circuit button on the back of the opener itself. It will send out the signal from which the Homelink will learn the codes.
Old 10-30-2006, 07:00 PM
06 RL - 04 TL

[IMG]2006RLandTSX[/IMG]
Thanks for your help. Did that too. Still no luck.
I think the BEST thing you can do is to follow the instructions to RESET ALL the codes and THEN follow the train sequence to the letter. At least this is what it took for MINE to start remembering things.

Tom
Old 11-02-2006, 01:34 PM
RL User

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
I have been having difficulty getting HomeLink to work too. Tried all suggestions mentioned here - reset codes, new batteries, etc. I could not seem to get past the first step to get HomeLink to accept the remote before getting the garage door opener to recognize the car.

In my case, my gdo is a rolling code from Overhead Door. Per the instructions, there is only one remote that should be used to program Homelink. Last night I re-read the gdo manual. In small print on the border, I discovered there is a small switch on the side of the remote to change the frequency. For by gdo to work with HomeLink, it needs to train at 390 frequency instead of the 'normal' 310 (going from memory here). Flipped the switch on the remote and viola! Car recognized the remote and then the opener recognized the RL - finally!

So, if you are still having problems, maybe this applies for your situation. Sure had me confused for a while.
Old 11-02-2006, 04:35 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts
Jorillo,
I you have remotes for the first 2 garage doors and they have multiple buttons on them, you may first try to program one of those remotes' secondary buttons to the 3rd garage door. Then with that remote, you should be able to program the 3rd button on your homelink.
My remotes that came with my garage door opener has 3 buttons and I've trained them to operate both openers with 1 remote. With that remote (which controls both doors, I was able to program my homelink to both openers). This only sounds more complicated than it really is. Hope it helps.
Mike
Old 11-06-2006, 05:28 PM
Cruisin'

homelink but for gate sensor - no button to push

hey all -

is it possible to program a gate sensor card - sort of like an HID card to get into office doors and stuff - to the homelink. this card opens the gate to my complex but unfortunately, there is no button to push. i just wave the card under the card sensor by the gate and the gate opens. any possible way to transmit that to the homelink so that i can push the homelink button from my car so as to emit the signal to the card sensor by the gate?
Old 11-07-2006, 06:15 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
Nope, cards can not be programmed into HomeLink. HL needs to be able to rcv a signal in order to be programmed.
Old 11-08-2006, 03:06 AM
Cruisin'

thanks - imma just have to tape it to the back of my rear view
Old 11-09-2006, 10:35 PM
Advanced

Please insure that if you are pushing the button on the

Garage door opener, after it starts flashing you have only so many seconds to gt to car, get in, and press the homelink button of your choice. If you miss the timeframe, it wont ever see the garage door opener. This is how I got mine to work on a Sears Garage Door opener, I just had to get down faster off the ladder, and get to the car outside the garage.. It finally started working after I got the timing faster. Good luck, this made me crazy a few times too! DanF
Old 11-24-2006, 01:04 PM
1st Gear

Talking My fix for the Homelink drama

I finally figured out the issue with the RL's Homelink system. After several failed attempts of trying to train with the remote and the master unit separately, I finally hit the motherload. My garage-door opener is a rolling code system (Chamberlain WhisperDrive). Because of this, I had to go through BOTH trainings for the button. These are the steps that I followed and it worked perfectly.

1. Reset the Homelink button in the RL by holding down the 1 and 3 buttons for at least 20 seconds (until the light blinked quickly).
2. Hold the remote transmitter within 1-5" of the Homelink buttons and hold down the desired button (1, 2 or 3) and the opener button at the same time. It will change to fast blinking within a few seconds.
3. Hit the training button on the garage door master unit (in the ceiling) and quickly get into the RL (which was within 10 feet of the master opener). I held down the button that I have already programmed with the remote (from earlier) for 3-5 seconds until it blinked quickly. In my setup, the garage door master unit blinked the lights when it was programmed. I released the button (in my case, the 1 button) and hit it again for 3-5 seconds to make sure that it was recognized by the master garage unit.

After going through both trainings, the unit worked perfectly. I wish that they would have made this more clear in the documentation!! Yes, after reading it again, it did mention that you had to go through the first step before the rolling code would be recognized, but we are MEN and we need pictures for it to be clear (isntead of words for women)!!!

That's my $.02
Spencer
Old 11-24-2006, 04:33 PM
Cruisin'

Had the same problem linking and finally gave up. I followed the directions to the tee. I was at the dealers to get mu bu camera installed and mentioned the issue. Here is the procedure I used and it worked the first time for a rolling code opener. Open garage door with remote, leave car running. Push learn button on garage opener and within 30 seconds get into the car and push the button on and off as many times necessary until the door goes down. My mistake was holding the button for three or four seconds as the Acura manual said. Also manual said I might need to push the opener button on the car up to three times. I think I actually pushed it about five times.

Now I have to find a place to keep the remote control so I can remember where to find it if ever necessary. Oh well, that's a problem for tomorrow.
Old 11-25-2006, 07:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Maybe the HomeLink unit is bad. We had a bad one in our MDX that was changed under warranty. No problems since.

LL
Old 11-25-2006, 07:55 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by mark47
Had the same problem linking and finally gave up. I followed the directions to the tee. I was at the dealers to get mu bu camera installed and mentioned the issue. Here is the procedure I used and it worked the first time for a rolling code opener. Open garage door with remote, leave car running. Push learn button on garage opener and within 30 seconds get into the car and push the button on and off as many times necessary until the door goes down. My mistake was holding the button for three or four seconds as the Acura manual said. Also manual said I might need to push the opener button on the car up to three times. I think I actually pushed it about five times.

Now I have to find a place to keep the remote control so I can remember where to find it if ever necessary. Oh well, that's a problem for tomorrow.
Take the car and the opener to the dealer and have them program it. My dealer knew exactly what to do in 2 minutes.
Old 11-26-2006, 08:37 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by gdevine
Take the car and the opener to the dealer and have them program it. My dealer knew exactly what to do in 2 minutes.
Been there and done that. It won't work using the remote if you have a rolling code garage door opener.
Old 08-03-2007, 10:14 AM
1st Gear

I had a problem with Homlink about a year ago. As it turned out, the Homelink system was not the problem - the garage door opener was. Some openers only alow a finite number (usually the number is 6) of devices to be programmed for it. Your TL is probably still programmed, and might be taking up a slot that you would like to use to program your RL. Our solution was to wipe the openers memory and reprogram all of the devices that we still wanted to use including Homelink.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:13 AM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Hmmm, I didn't know that. I'm not having any problems with the system but I'll store that info for future reference.

By the way, welcome to the forum