2006 RL warranty bought...seems like a good deal

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 11:10 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 RL warranty bought...seems like a good deal

Howdy all,

NEW ACURA RL owner now!!!

I ended up going w/ the Black one w/ Ebony interior, and had to drive 3 hours to pick her up...it was definitely worth the trip!

Here is something interesting...I usually never buy any warranties, sealants, etc...

but the finance guy told me about the warranty. normally $1995, he offered it for $1695 for 84 months/100K miles.

Here is the kicker: it's called a GPR program...if I don't file a claim to fix anything in that 84 month/100K mile window, I get all $1695 back MINUS $50 clerical fee.

The first repair would be a $100 deductible and that's it. essentially, this kicks in after the 4 years/50K miles is up. I thought about it, and it made sense...in case a computer went down, the $1695 would not be too bad...and if I'm lucky, nothing breaks and I get back my money.

He then told me about the $499 tire/wheel hazard protection. This also covered replacement of windshield, as well as door ding fixing! 5 years....we negotiated to $425.

So I spent an extra 2K yesterday, of which, I hope to get back the $1695 later on The $425 seemed good, b/c if I muck up a rim (bend/scrape) I get a new one. If I blow a tire, puncture in sidewall, I get a new one. If an idiot hits my car w/ his door in the lot, I get the door ding taken care of....

What do you all think? This is the first time I've ever heard of a "refundable" warranty, if I don't use it during the term.
Old 12-03-2006, 11:42 PM
Advanced

First of all, congratulations. I've had mine just over a month and the feeling is still there.

There have been a few discussions about extended warranties, check the archives. I think this is the most recent:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2961

I believe there are two competing Honda / Acura dealerships selling the factory extended warranties on the web at a reduced price, which you can either buy directly or use to pressure your dealer to a more competative price.

Though I am not, in general, an extended warranty type of person, the level of technology in my RL scared me into buying one.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:14 AM
Advanced

If you got the Tech package, the runflats come standard with a road hazard warranty.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:20 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
The tire/wheel hazard protection will not cover rim scrapes from curbing. I specifically asked that question when I got mine. I covers road hazards, not mistakes by the driver.
Old 12-04-2006, 08:53 AM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Received 95 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mtam08
Howdy all,

NEW ACURA RL owner now!!!

I ended up going w/ the Black one w/ Ebony interior, and had to drive 3 hours to pick her up...it was definitely worth the trip!

Here is something interesting...I usually never buy any warranties, sealants, etc...

but the finance guy told me about the warranty. normally $1995, he offered it for $1695 for 84 months/100K miles.

Here is the kicker: it's called a GPR program...if I don't file a claim to fix anything in that 84 month/100K mile window, I get all $1695 back MINUS $50 clerical fee.

The first repair would be a $100 deductible and that's it. essentially, this kicks in after the 4 years/50K miles is up. I thought about it, and it made sense...in case a computer went down, the $1695 would not be too bad...and if I'm lucky, nothing breaks and I get back my money.

He then told me about the $499 tire/wheel hazard protection. This also covered replacement of windshield, as well as door ding fixing! 5 years....we negotiated to $425.

So I spent an extra 2K yesterday, of which, I hope to get back the $1695 later on The $425 seemed good, b/c if I muck up a rim (bend/scrape) I get a new one. If I blow a tire, puncture in sidewall, I get a new one. If an idiot hits my car w/ his door in the lot, I get the door ding taken care of....

What do you all think? This is the first time I've ever heard of a "refundable" warranty, if I don't use it during the term.
You can do MUCH better than that. In may I negotiated a $1,170 price for the exact same warranty. In the end, I ended up getting it for close to cost (~$970), but that's another story.

As for purchasing one, as others have said, with the level of tech in this car, a $1,000 repair bill is a given if any of these components fail outside of the warranty.

I posted in another thread about the navigation screen dying on my '04 Land Cruiser. The part alone costs $5,000 and if I hadn't purchased the extended warranty ($1,400), I would have been stuck with the repair.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:13 AM
Safety Car

Received 148 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by miner
The tire/wheel hazard protection will not cover rim scrapes from curbing. I specifically asked that question when I got mine. I covers road hazards, not mistakes by the driver.
Actually partially right. If the driver hits a POT hole and blows the tire out and bends the rim, it covers replacement of the tire and rim. Even if its aftermarket. Which is nice.
Old 12-04-2006, 09:33 AM
06 RL - Carbon Gray Pearl

Originally Posted by shoppit
I believe there are two competing Honda / Acura dealerships selling the factory extended warranties on the web at a reduced price, which you can either buy directly or use to pressure your dealer to a more competative price.
I just checked one of the online Acura sites for a 7 yr/100K extended warranty and they are quoted as follows:

7yr/100K with $100 deductible = $1.035
7yr/100K with $0 deductible = $1,135
Old 12-04-2006, 10:24 AM
Advanced

As far as I know, the premium for the AcuraCare warranty issued by American Honda is not refundable in the event of no claims being made duning the warranty period.

mtm08, does this mean that your warranty was issued by a company other than Honda? If so, the refund feature may account for some of the price difference.
Old 12-04-2006, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ed111
As far as I know, the premium for the AcuraCare warranty issued by American Honda is not refundable in the event of no claims being made duning the warranty period.
You CAN get a refund on the AcuraCare warranty but it is "prorated". I'm not sure how they calcualte it....I'm still waiting for the paperwork from AcuraCare to arrive.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:16 PM
Safety Car

My F&I guy did tell me the new policy for AcuraCare now is to refund full amount if not used. This changed in 2005. I did get back $370 on my TSX warranty when i traded in.
Old 12-04-2006, 12:24 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
I believe you get a refund of the full cost of the warranty once the time or mileage limit has passed and you have not had any calim or use at all. If you use any of the "convienience" features (i.e. the auto club type stuff), you don't qualify for the refund. Also, the refund is not automatic. You must formally request it within thirty days of becoming eligible.

LL
Old 12-04-2006, 12:51 PM
Cruisin'

Correct, you notify the company when your term is up, if you haven't used the warranty.

To me, that is a WIN WIN situation....cuz if I got stuck w/ some navigation issue, i might be inclined not to fix it if it was a few G's....

I believe the ones found online do not offer this money back option. i for one never buy extended warranties...but this time would be silly to pass on a refundable one pending no claims, on a car so full of technology as this beauty.

As for the rims, yeah, if you blow out your tire and bend the rim, then they replace it....i'm kinda regretting getting this for $425, but i was more interested in door ding fixing....

i can't wait to get off of work to hop into it again!!!
Old 12-04-2006, 01:29 PM

As long as it is an "AcuraCare" extended warranty, they all offer the same contract with the same specifics whether you buy it from the dealer or online.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:40 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Also, I believe the AcuraCare warranty is transferrable (one time, for a $50 fee) to a new owner. A nice benefit when you go to sell.

LL
Old 12-04-2006, 03:47 PM
Advanced

mtam08, I'm still not clear from these posts whether you purchased an AcuraCare warranty issued by American Honda and sold through both Acura and Honda dealers.

mtam08 (or anyone else with American Honda warranty), is it stated expressly in the printed warranty that the premium can be refunded in full if no warranty services are used once the end of the warranty period has been reached?

Could you clarify, please?

Thanks.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:47 PM

Ok, I just called AcuraCare and spoke with a rep. You get 100% of your money back if you cancel with 60 days of the contract. Anything after that is PRORATED. Even if you don't use the extended warranty after 4 years or 50K of the original warranty, you won't get 100% back.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by FromTLtoRL
Ok, I just called AcuraCare and spoke with a rep. You get 100% of your money back if you cancel with 60 days of the contract. Anything after that is PRORATED. Even if you don't use the extended warranty after 4 years or 50K of the original warranty, you won't get 100% back.
That makes sense and it's consistent with what I experienced when I bought my Land Cruiser in '04.

I had a '98 Land Cruiser that I purchased used in '01 with 45K miles on the clock. I bought a Toyota warranty that covered it up to 100K miles.

When I bought my '04, my '98 has 89K mile on it and I was refunded close to $400 on my original warranty.
Old 12-04-2006, 06:06 PM

I just got home and in my mail is the Vehicle Service Contract from Acura Care. It is a small booklet. What the rep told me on the phone (see my earlier post) is exactly how it is explained on page 7 of this booklet/contract. After 60 days, any refund will be prorated based on time or mileage.

The other thing that got my attention is on page 4 under the section III "Your Obligations".

I quote...

"YOU must perform maintenance services, at the proper intervals, according to the requirements of YOUR Owner's Manual or as otherwise specified by AMERICAN HONDA. YOU must retain all MAINTENANCE RECORDS (the original receipts or invoices confirming all maintenance has been performed during the period YOU have owned or leased YOUR vehicle) as they may be requested from YOU."

Of course it goes on and on...

This is the first time I bought an extended warranty. I guess I will need to pay more attention to the maintenance guide ;P
Old 12-04-2006, 10:27 PM
Advanced

I just got home and in my mail is the Vehicle Service Contract from Acura Care. It is a small booklet. What the rep told me on the phone (see my earlier post) is exactly how it is explained on page 7 of this booklet/contract. After 60 days, any refund will be prorated based on time or mileage.

The other thing that got my attention is on page 4 under the section III "Your Obligations".

I quote...

"YOU must perform maintenance services, at the proper intervals, according to the requirements of YOUR Owner's Manual or as otherwise specified by AMERICAN HONDA. YOU must retain all MAINTENANCE RECORDS (the original receipts or invoices confirming all maintenance has been performed during the period YOU have owned or leased YOUR vehicle) as they may be requested from YOU."

Of course it goes on and on...

This is the first time I bought an extended warranty. I guess I will need to pay more attention to the maintenance guide ;P
How long ago did you buy yours? I bought mine from Curry Honda at the end of October and still waiting for the paperwork.
Old 12-05-2006, 01:29 AM

Correct, you notify the company when your term is up, if you haven't used the warranty.

To me, that is a WIN WIN situation....cuz if I got stuck w/ some navigation issue, i might be inclined not to fix it if it was a few G's....
The problem as was the case with my Land Cruiser is that the touch screen controls not only the Nav, but audio, climate control and other functions. You basically lose all functions. Now the RL's isn't a touch screen, but if it dies, there are many things you will lose besides the nav.
Old 12-05-2006, 08:42 AM

11/17/2006

Originally Posted by shoppit
How long ago did you buy yours? I bought mine from Curry Honda at the end of October and still waiting for the paperwork.
Shoppit - I bought mine on 11/17/2006 from the dealer. That's a little over 2 weeks ago. Here's the number for American Honda Finance Corporation: 1-800-999-5901. This number is listed in the front cover of the booklet/contract. Give them a call, maybe they can tell you what is happening.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2006, 02:03 AM
Instructor

Does anyone know, if you buy the Acura Care extended warranty, does the warranty period start from the day of purchase of the auto or the warranty. So if I buy a 7yr/120k mile warranty 6 months after I buy the car, does that give me 7 1/2 years from the date I bought the car before the warranty expires (assuming I don't go over the 120K miles)?
Old 12-07-2006, 06:12 AM
Safety Car

Starts from the day you take delivery of the car.
Old 12-08-2006, 04:06 PM
Advanced

Shoppit - I bought mine on 11/17/2006 from the dealer. That's a little over 2 weeks ago. Here's the number for American Honda Finance Corporation: 1-800-999-5901. This number is listed in the front cover of the booklet/contract. Give them a call, maybe they can tell you what is happening.

Thanks!

I called them, they looked it up by my VIN and said that it was in place. They said they mailed my contract and card a couple weeks ago and would send me another, which I would get in two weeks.
Old 06-30-2007, 04:59 AM
Intermediate

This sounds like the service contract my dealer sold me - called "Carefree Car Protection" from Fidelity Warranty Services. For what its worth I got him down to $1600. I still plan to cancel it in the next few days.

There are some land mines in the refund terms:

1) Make a claim and no refund (fair enough)
2) Sell the car before the Term/Mileage is up and no refund for either you or the new owner.
3) When you do reach the end of the term/mileage you have one month or 1000 miles to do a dance involving going back to the original dealer with the car (lets hope you didn't move out of state) and getting to sign off on the refund and confirm the mileage on your car. Miss this window, or screw up otherwise and no refund.

I suspect not a lot of people get their premiums refunded after the 7 months/84K miles.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:47 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Extended warranties are money cows for the dealers. The actual policies only cost them a few dimes on the dollar. I have never had an extended warranty on any car that I have driven since I trade so often. I am already looking foward to my next Acura with HD radio, DVD video, and a hard drive. I laughed when I was offered the "Tire Protection" plan (they even had a bent rim with a blown tire in the office to scare me) when I bought my RL. The finance manager was really po'd when I asked him whose rim and tire that was. He had to admit it was a prop. However, if I lived in a big city with a lot of potholes the plan might be good, but no way was I going to pay $499.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:24 PM
Intermediate

Extended warranties can be a 'rip-off' if you don't research before you buy one.

Certainly if an extended warranty was $1,500 and you ended up having $3,000 in repairs paid for by it, I think you would consider it a good value.

It provides peace of mind, way to budget your repair expenses. The value decision up to each owner based on their needs and desires.

We all pick different insurance levels and deductibles based on our needs. If you haven't gotten in an accident in 10 years, why have collision insurance? self insure!

I agree, if you pay $3,000 for $1,500 extended warranty or get one with many exclusions, then it is a bad decision.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by Rexorg
Extended warranties are money cows for the dealers. The actual policies only cost them a few dimes on the dollar. I have never had an extended warranty on any car that I have driven since I trade so often. I am already looking foward to my next Acura with HD radio, DVD video, and a hard drive. I laughed when I was offered the "Tire Protection" plan (they even had a bent rim with a blown tire in the office to scare me) when I bought my RL. The finance manager was really po'd when I asked him whose rim and tire that was. He had to admit it was a prop. However, if I lived in a big city with a lot of potholes the plan might be good, but no way was I going to pay $499.
See my post in the other thread. It has not been a rip off to me.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:41 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
See my post in the other thread. It has not been a rip off to me.
It may have worked out for you, but what GoHawks is say is that statiscally speaking it is a real money maker for the "insurer". Obviously, they offer these extended warranty policies to make money. They've clearly figured out the chances for breakdowns and the average costs. They charge you that amount plus their profit. They know they will win more then they will loose on average. It's just an insurance policy. Just like any insurance policy, you're gambling something is going to happen and their gambling it won't.

Personally, I try and stay away from Extended warranties because I know the odds are against you. I only get them when I truly worry about being able to cover the cost of something if it breaks. Otherwise, I "self insure" myself by saving on the extended warranty cost and just being sure I have the cash on hand to handle these unexpected expenses.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by SpicyMikey
It may have worked out for you, but what GoHawks is say is that statiscally speaking it is a real money maker for the "insurer". Obviously, they offer these extended warranty policies to make money. They've clearly figured out the chances for breakdowns and the average costs. They charge you that amount plus their profit. They know they will win more then they will loose on average. It's just an insurance policy. Just like any insurance policy, you're gambling something is going to happen and their gambling it won't.

Personally, I try and stay away from Extended warranties because I know the odds are against you. I only get them when I truly worry about being able to cover the cost of something if it breaks. Otherwise, I "self insure" myself by saving on the extended warranty cost and just being sure I have the cash on hand to handle these unexpected expenses.

It depends on what you pay. I was originally quoted $3,300. That is a ridiculous price, and in my opinion not worth it. I too would take my chances.

I ended up paying $1000 for a 7yr/100K mile $0 ded warranty. It takes nothing to ring up a $1000 repair bill. I'm sure I'll get my money back during the remaining 30K-40K miles from when the factory warranty expires and the extended expires.
Old 06-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Go Big Blue!

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GoHawks
It depends on what you pay. I was originally quoted $3,300. That is a ridiculous price, and in my opinion not worth it. I too would take my chances.

I ended up paying $1000 for a 7yr/100K mile $0 ded warranty. It takes nothing to ring up a $1000 repair bill. I'm sure I'll get my money back during the remaining 30K-40K miles from when the factory warranty expires and the extended expires.
Agree, that's a great deal. Reduces your odds of loosing out significantly.

By the way, I meant to write "what RexOrg is saying", not "what GoHawks is saying".
Old 06-30-2007, 06:49 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Exactly.
Old 07-04-2007, 02:16 AM
Intermediate

make sure you read your contract... dealer did a bait and switch on me...

I asked for acura care he printed up a contract and made me sign... it was a different company... I asked him if this was acura care and he changed the topic before I realized it....

I've already cancelled that warranty.... going online to buy mine...

what's 1500$ after plunking down 40+K on a tech car... my yearly collision insurance is more than that (both cars) and I've never been in an accident....

but one thing amazed me... they sell their warranties for not much money online... goes to show how well they think of their quality that they don't expect to spend much even on a 7 year old car...

it does show IMHO...