2006 GS--all that in a bag of potato chips?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005, 01:31 PM
has been here awhile

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 GS--all that in a bag of potato chips?

With the official introduction of the new GS to the public, Lexus has finally updated their website to show off everything there is to know about the RL. From what I've seen, it appears that the GS is the most direct RL competition. I have yet to drive it, but it appears the GS is delivering what is promised--the passionate pursuit of perfection. Reviews are heralding this car as absolutely wonderful.

But the RL is a superb vehicle, as well. Heck, it scored second place on Edmund's review, which stacked the RL against the V8 competition. That is definitely saying something. Feature for feature, the RL is amazing. The GS is also great, however. But it seems that you can't have it all, considering it's give-and-take for special features between the two cars.

Could it possibly be that the media is a little biased towards the "well-established" vehicle in this segment? Edmunds review in particular had me wondering why it even got second place, just how they were talking about it. Motor Trend's review, on the other hand was absolutely great. Where do you guys think the GS would have fit in their review?

With all of this being said, what do the RL enthusiasts think about the GS? What do you like about it, what don't you like? For those of you who have driven it already, how would you compare it to the RL? Am I the only one who thinks the GS is THE closest competitor to the RL? Is the new GS making anyone on here start to think twice about the RL?

Happy posting
Old 03-04-2005, 01:37 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 2,329 Likes on 1,309 Posts
Both are GREAT cars, cant wait to try the GS. Its all about preferences and if anything, will only make Acura work harder. The customer wins in the end.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:47 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 70 Posts
Yeah, Lexus has been stepping up the commercials on the new GS. The car lo0oks pretty nice from my home. I will get out and look at it ths weekend if I have time.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:46 PM
Advanced

I've seen 3 GSs today! It was quite freaky to see so many on my drive to work. As for RL sightings, I've seen two in SF, one in between LA and SF, and one in northern LA and this is within a 5 month period. Where are you 05 RL owners hiding?

In the pictures, I thought the GS looked more like a Nissan Maxima and that is one of the reasons I didn't like it initially, but after seeing it in person, it has definitely grown on me. IMHO I think it has a nice classy / sporty style. As for the interior, even though it seems somewhat minimalist in design, the quality of materials are top notch.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:47 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 86 Likes on 30 Posts
GS will sell more or better than RL for sure... but...

I have lost my interests in new GS. Since I have 99 GS300, I was looking forward to seeing something very special from its new version. When the Press revealed the spy pics, I was kind of disappointed with its exterior style, too unadventurous and old fashion. Then, I saw the car personally weeks ago, nothing exciting, especially while the dealer had new GS and old GS displaying in front of me in the showroom.

Definitely, the interior is much much better, and I bet the performance and driving experience would be much better, too. However, I didn't feel any excitement or passion from that car yet.

Maybe it's only me. But I'm not the fan of this new GS so far. (Instead, I have to see M...)
Old 03-04-2005, 02:55 PM
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hello Spudmtn,

I saw your post on the GS forum as well, but I didn't want to respond because it would have started a "turf war". I know you're still trying to make a decision between the GS and RL, and I hope you've been able to get some unbiased info. I will preface my response by saying I am very unbiased because I trade cars frequently, so I'm hard-pressed to knock a car I may own in the near future. Here's my ...

I've owned my RL for almost 4 months now, and I've test driven the new GS300, M35, and M45 Sport. I'm a 4-time Lexus owner (that includes an '01 GS3 and an '03 GS3) so I obviously have an affinity for Lexus, and for the GS. During my test drives, I was actually the LEAST impressed with the GS. This is all subjective, but I found the interior less luxurious than the RL and the power to be lacking. The car definitely handles better than the previous GS, but so does the RL. The only thing I felt the GS had going for it was "curb appeal". I found the exterior really attractive, but to me that didn't justify a price that was actually higher than the RL. The GS300 I drove had an MSRP of over $50K.

FYI, I've found the fit/finish/performance of my RL to be superior to any Lexus I've ever owned (SC3, SC430, GS). I found it amusing that one of the respondents to your question in CL said his friends couldn't see spending $50K for an Acura but they could see spending $50K for a Lexus. Do you really buy based on what your friends think? Who's $$$ is it? Who's going to be driving the car? Sounds like a major case of insecurity to me. If you really need "street cred", as he put it, a Lexus isn't going to cut it either.

I still plan on test driving the GS430. That won't change my impressions of the interior, but it could certainly change my impressions of the performance. IMO, it might be worth an additional $8K for a V-8 GS430, but it certainly isn't worth more than an RL for a GS300.

FYI, although I don't find the exterior nearly as attractive as the GS, the M35/45 Sport is the performance bargain of the bunch. You may want to test drive drive one of those as well. It really is very subjective and depends on what you want in a car.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:14 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by dseag2
Hello Spudmtn,

I saw your post on the GS forum as well, but I didn't want to respond because it would have started a "turf war". I know you're still trying to make a decision between the GS and RL, and I hope you've been able to get some unbiased info. I will preface my response by saying I am very unbiased because I trade cars frequently, so I'm hard-pressed to knock a car I may own in the near future. Here's my ...

I've owned my RL for almost 4 months now, and I've test driven the new GS300, M35, and M45 Sport. I'm a 4-time Lexus owner (that includes an '01 GS3 and an '03 GS3) so I obviously have an affinity for Lexus, and for the GS. During my test drives, I was actually the LEAST impressed with the GS. This is all subjective, but I found the interior less luxurious than the RL and the power to be lacking. The car definitely handles better than the previous GS, but so does the RL. The only thing I felt the GS had going for it was "curb appeal". I found the exterior really attractive, but to me that didn't justify a price that was actually higher than the RL. The GS300 I drove had an MSRP of over $50K.

FYI, I've found the fit/finish/performance of my RL to be superior to any Lexus I've ever owned (SC3, SC430, GS). I found it amusing that one of the respondents to your question in CL said his friends couldn't see spending $50K for an Acura but they could see spending $50K for a Lexus. Do you really buy based on what your friends think? Who's $$$ is it? Who's going to be driving the car? Sounds like a major case of insecurity to me. If you really need "street cred", as he put it, a Lexus isn't going to cut it either.

I still plan on test driving the GS430. That won't change my impressions of the interior, but it could certainly change my impressions of the performance. IMO, it might be worth an additional $8K for a V-8 GS430, but it certainly isn't worth more than an RL for a GS300.

FYI, although I don't find the exterior nearly as attractive as the GS, the M35/45 Sport is the performance bargain of the bunch. You may want to test drive drive one of those as well. It really is very subjective and depends on what you want in a car.
Ah yes...this is what I've been looking for all along. Thanks for the response.

I'll probably at least get a chance to see the new GS in person in a week and a half or so. I'm definitely looking forward to it. My expectations are pretty high, considering how great the RL is. The status thing isn't really an issue, because a nice car is a nice car. Quite frankly, I wouldn't dare tell anyone how much it costs--in fact, I avoid it. I found that response rather stupid...but wasn't worth wasting my breath on

I'm probably going to have to test drive the GS430 as well...and I'll get my dad and mom as well (it is the parental's car, afterall--don't want to give the impression that I am getting a $50k+ car...I'm not THAT spoiled ). My dad has wanted a GS400 since they came out, but we've needed FWD or AWD with where we live. However, we are soon no longer going to ABSOLUTELY need FWD or AWD, so the GS430 and M45 may be a possibility. Who knows...we'll probably go with the RL in the end; the dealership is just too nice to us.

I'm surprised to hear people mentioning the lack of a luxury feel inside the RL cabin--that just astonishes me. I felt the RL was on par with far more expensive vehicles (think S-class, etc...) But then to hear you say that the GS is not terribly impressive shocks me...so I'm confused. I guess I'll just have to see it for myself.

Thanks again for the reply--keep them coming, guys
Old 03-04-2005, 04:16 PM
office monkey

hehe anyone who looks for "street cred" is either some young punk or grew up broke and thinks it is mature tosay to the world "look at me! I can afford this now!!"

I wish I didn't get booted form CL. I'd LOVE to put my 2 cents in there.

Anyway, I havent driven/sat in the new GS yet but I hope to one of these days. I will say of all the people who could fofer an opinion, dseag2's is the one I put the msot value in simply because I know he is a previous Lexus owner and he has shown his view has been pretty unbiased. NOt to toot my own horn but I feel when I get to see the new GS my opinion will also be pretty unbiased as I love Lexus so I wouldn't trash their cars.

I can say the RL's interior is honestly on par with the LS430s interior with respect to material quality so if the new GS interior isn't as good as the LS then by logic the RL's interior is superior to the new GS.

I also would agree that you'll find media outlets favouring Lexus models when comparing them to other Japanese brands since Lexus is the more established brand and mags like the established brands
Old 03-04-2005, 04:23 PM
office monkey

'm surprised to hear people mentioning the lack of a luxury feel inside the RL cabin--that just astonishes me.
Yeah I think anyone who says that is basically saying this:

"I am biased and do not want to like this car"

Because the RL's interior is very luxurious as you have seen. In my mind anyone who criticizes the RL's interior has their opinion automatically void since I knwo how wrong that criticism is.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:36 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm disappointed in the GS styling - it really leaves me flat. Granted Lexi have never been at the leading edge of styling but the GS300 my sister use to have I always thought was quite handsome. I was looking forward to them building on that for the new model and it just doesn't work for me. Obviously styling is a very subjective thing (just ask Chris Bangle).

Oh yeah - I also think you mean "and a bag of chips".
Old 03-05-2005, 08:49 AM
Instructor

member back when the legend was made and they has the L LS and GS models well the new RL is like the legend LS model now if they made GS model of the RL mmmm i think it would be insane

BTW: anybody getting the jdm badges and correcting the RL and nameing it a legend
Old 03-05-2005, 11:01 AM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
when i first saw it in person at auto show i didnt like it.

the commercials have me lusting over it tho...

but im sure if i see it in person again ill be underimpressed.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Karl_in_Chicago
I also think you mean "and a bag of chips".
When I first saw the title I was trying to figure out how anyone could fit a GS into a bag of potato chips.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:24 PM
The Creator

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by saabfan
When I first saw the title I was trying to figure out how anyone could fit a GS into a bag of potato chips.
Old 03-05-2005, 03:06 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by soopa
Yeah yeah yeah...so I screwed it up this time. I feel like such a dork
Old 03-05-2005, 03:32 PM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Originally Posted by SPUDMTN
Yeah yeah yeah...so I screwed it up this time. I feel like such a dork
It's just that our expectations are so high for you, Spud. :wink:
Old 03-05-2005, 05:16 PM
has been here awhile

Originally Posted by 8-)
It's just that our expectations are so high for you, Spud. :wink:
I thought about that when the first comment arose...hopefully this doesn't ruin my reputation on here (or--GASP--destroy my credibility)
Old 03-05-2005, 05:35 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
I thought the new GS looked hot (for a sedan and a Lexus). The only previous Lexus I liked was the original SC coupe. Most are kind of bland. The GS interior was top notch and Lexus puts the $50Gs right in your face and hands.
If I was buying a $50k sedan, it'd be a tossup with the RL. The RL exterior is not appealing to me, but I like the goodies in it otherwise.
Most buyers in this segment will go the more established GS IMO.
Old 03-05-2005, 06:34 PM
8-)
...just another stooge...

Originally Posted by soopa
the commercials have me lusting over it tho...
Lexuszine?
Lexazine?
Lexzine?
Lexuzine?
Old 03-07-2005, 07:54 PM
Racer

I just saw my First GS in the dealer's lot today. Damn, this car is sweet, especially comparing it to the older GS, it's alot better car.