2006 Acura RL 84-01 code

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2017 | 11:33 PM
8th Gear

Unhappy 2006 Acura RL 84-01 code

Hi everyone!.. I have a 2006 Acura RL (love my car!) and for about a week or so, I have a VSA light that comes on when ever I start driving the car. I drives normal and I can't feel anything different but that lights really bothers me and I am afraid of a situation getting worse. It says that error 84-01 Sensor logic failure. Don't know where to start looking for that issue, I am not really a mechanic but I enjoy fixing things myself when I can, besides I don't think I have the money dealers want for any little job. Looks like everything takes 4-5 ours just to trouble shoot, 100 dollars an hour..

I will greatly appreciate any indication on where to start looking for this logic sensor or maybe how to troubleshoot the situation. There are no other codes. When I ride the car hooked up to the computer,it shows all sensors working on the wheels. The ohms reading goes up as I pick speed. That leads me to believe that the sensors are OK. HELP!!!!
Old 03-19-2017 | 08:07 AM

How old is your battery?
The following users liked this post:
Dario (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017 | 09:52 AM

I had the same thing but it was after I replaced a wheel sensor. I had to do the VSA neutilization. Google FTW
projektvertx (03-19-2017)
Old 03-19-2017 | 06:02 PM
8th Gear

The battery is fine. Not sure how old it is but I don't see the relation, and I don't mean to be a wise guy.

one owner car, me being the second one. Well taking cared of, with new timing chain among many other things. Car has been a charm sin I got it. Just today I took a ride to West Palm Beach and when in the express way, you have to be careful because yo will feel like you are doing 60 and you are doing 100. Best car I ever had.

The light just came on, I didn't replace anything..

It would be great if when they tell you 84-01 it's a sensor logic failure, they would tell you where to look for and locations..It's like giving half an answer...

Thank you for your answers.
Old 03-19-2017 | 06:06 PM
8th Gear

Any idea what these logic sensors are? where are they?, already tested the wheel sensors with the car moving hooked up to a computer and they all give about the same reading...
Old 03-19-2017 | 07:22 PM

The reason I mentioned battery is 90% of the time when random sensors fail for no reason on the RL, it can be chalked up to a bad batter
Old 03-20-2017 | 01:38 PM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by projektvertx
The reason I mentioned battery is 90% of the time when random sensors fail for no reason on the RL, it can be chalked up to a bad batter
With these highly electronic cars, I am even afraid to disconnect the battery and find out it was disconnected the wrong way and now I have to change the computer. LOL.

The thing is that I had not battery issue whatsoever. I tried to clear the code with my scanner but it won't go away. I am reluctant to remove a perfectly working battery as the cause of the problem, unless there is an indication that it is a possible cause.. I can't see it being that! but I've been proven wrong before..

Will wait to see if anyone has another idea before I go that route. Something scares me about disconnecting the battery and finding out how many things lost programming afterwords

I do appreciate your input and will consider it as a last option...

Thanks you.
Old 03-20-2017 | 07:38 PM
Suzuka Master

start with the easiest thing, check the battery status if it in good shape then work with. If you too afraid to do anything then your local dealer will be the best bet, we show you the potential solution and you kinda steer away from it. I had so call "i don't have that problem" after my local Acura dealer state the battery is bad need to be replace, at the time the battery is Duralast Max 1 year old and did show NO sign of failing (long crank time, funky light on or being sluggish). When the 3rd time they told me the battery is bad I went to a trusted mechanic have a second opinion. He did the test and it turn out the battery did go bad and Autozone replace for FREE under the warranty, I just felt like total idiot trying to prove the dealer tech wrong (not saying they are always right).
Old 03-20-2017 | 09:06 PM
8th Gear

truonghthe , Don't take me wrong. I am not discarding any advice, All I said is that I am not sure or doubt the battery is bad given the fact that shape wise it looks great, head lights are nice and strong, cranking power is A1 and nothing indicates a battery failure. Having said that, I did not total discard the possibility. I am not afraid per say, I would call it cautions. Any little mistake can be costly on these cars and I am not a wealthy guy.

How did they determine you battery was bad? Did you notice anything, any signs before the test that something was not right?... I guess I will run a test on the battery. It would be great if you can tell be what kind of test they did.

Like I said, the code I get is 84-01 and that code means a logic sensor failure. Then again, It is very possible that a bad battery can cause a sensor to not work properly when you come to of it.

I would love to have some type of idea where these sensors are, where to start looking. IT is a great thing that scanners give you an error code but do no tell you where exactly where is the problem or where to look. When you search the internet, you get the same thing the scanner tells you and you run into a wall.

I am not very optimistic that battery is the culprit although I will look into it. Would love to here other options..Maybe logic sensors locations so I can at least test them..

I will get back after the battery test...

I am very appreciative of any answers.

Thank you.
Old 03-21-2017 | 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by teh CL
I had the same thing but it was after I replaced a wheel sensor. I had to do the VSA neutralization. Google FTW

Old 03-21-2017 | 06:52 PM
8th Gear

LOL... OK I will try and find out info on how to do it..

Thanks
Old 03-22-2017 | 10:24 AM
8th Gear

I try googling it but I keep getting everything about VSA but how to do the neutralization. Do you remember how you did yours?

Sometimes trying to get answers on the web you could spend ours going from page to page, reading answer that have nothing to do with the question or someone giving wrong information.
How someone saves me some digging time.. Been around but have not found answer...

It is a possibility that this is the problem. Originally I got a code for a right front wheel sensor issue. I took it out, gave it a good cleaning and now that code doesn't come up but they, like you said, this VSA light came up.
Old 03-23-2017 | 08:32 AM

I Googled "VSA Neutralization" & it was the first thread that popped up..

I did the same thing as posted in that thread. Good luck
Old 03-23-2017 | 11:31 AM
8th Gear

Red face

I Googled "VSA Neutralization" & it was the first thread that popped up..

I did the same thing as posted in that thread. Good luck
I wish I had your computer... This is what I get when I do the serch https://www.google.com/#q=acura+vsa+neutralizacion&*

I spins my wheels and ot one thing that talks about how to do it.

another search https://www.google.com/#q=vsa+neutralizacion&*
Again! nothing.

I don't mean to be annoying but the reason I am here is to try and save some time without looking through 1000 pages before I find what I want. I do appreciate your help very much.

If you have the link to that page I would a appreciate if it's not too much to ask. I don't want to look or sound dumb but sometimes that is hard to accomplish. Time is precious and this issue is taking a lot of my time. Sometimes when we do searches on the internet, some computers come up with different stuff depending on what your browser knows..

mine is coming up with unrelated links.

Thank you Teh CL
Old 03-23-2017 | 12:06 PM
Suzuka Master

its neutralization not "neutrualizaction".... just saying.
Old 03-23-2017 | 01:46 PM

Thought I posted the link..

Error Code 84 - VSA sensor neutral position memorization - Acura TSX Forum
truonghthe (03-23-2017)
Old 01-14-2020 | 09:39 PM

I had the same thing but it was after I replaced a wheel sensor. I had to do the VSA neutilization. Google FTW
Bump, Alan you’re my hero right now. I had to change a wheel speed sensor and I tripped the exact same code OP did. Followed the VSA neutralization procedure, boom problem solved!
The following 2 users liked this post by projektvertx:
HEAVY_RL (01-21-2020), teh CL (01-17-2020)
Old 01-17-2020 | 12:34 AM