2005 RL Brake Noise

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 09:24 PM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 RL Brake Noise

Please help me figure out this annoying sound. Car runs and brakes fine but just loud and embarrassing when coming to a stop.
Old 05-16-2017, 09:26 PM
3rd Gear

Old 05-17-2017, 06:39 AM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
That almost sounds like it could be a bad master cylinder since it's happening when you depress the pedal and the car is stopped...

Old 05-18-2017, 09:15 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the same annoying noise. I don't think it's the master cylinder tho. Mine you can clearly hear it comes straight from the caliper. I replaced all four rotors and brand new oem brake pads. The sound stopped for a hot minute but then came back. Took it to the dealership, they told me I had to replace both front calipers. (Total job would've cost me $2,500 ***thank you Brembo***). I want to try and get the caliper rebuild kit and see if that fix the problem. If not, oh well brand new calipers it is. Which I would change myself of course.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:42 PM

Received 612 Likes on 490 Posts
Originally Posted by vtecinside69
I have the same annoying noise. I don't think it's the master cylinder tho. Mine you can clearly hear it comes straight from the caliper. I replaced all four rotors and brand new oem brake pads. The sound stopped for a hot minute but then came back. Took it to the dealership, they told me I had to replace both front calipers. (Total job would've cost me $2,500 ***thank you Brembo***). I want to try and get the caliper rebuild kit and see if that fix the problem. If not, oh well brand new calipers it is. Which I would change myself of course.
Have you tried new brake fluid?
Old 05-18-2017, 11:03 PM
3rd Gear

Thanks for the responses. The video with the master cylinder noise sounds almost exactly like the sound I'm getting but I would think that an issue with the master cylinder would cause some type of a leak and failure of the brake system. I was going to go ahead and replace it tomorrow but now that vtec has replied makes me wonder if I should waste money and time replacing it.

initially my thought was the caliper as well. The noise comes from the driver side front tire, not engine bay. Also similar situation with replacing pads, seemed to solve the noise issue til recently. When I changed my pads about a yr ago i bled the brakes in put it new brake fluids. I'm thinking I should just replace the caliper.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this issue. Let me know if you've encountered this before I start ordering parts.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:57 AM

Received 999 Likes on 650 Posts
Originally Posted by vtecinside69
Tip of the day: RL front calipers are advics, not Brembos.

I have a similar noise but not as loud. I've replaced pads/rotors and I just recently bled the fluid but it's still there.

It's more than likely the calipers IMO. A rebuild would definitely help but if the brakes aren't an issue then I'd buy a used set of calipers with a rebuild kit, freshen them up with minimal down time. Fuck paying brand new prices..

Last edited by teh CL; 05-19-2017 at 07:59 AM.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (05-19-2017)
Old 05-19-2017, 07:41 PM
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Isaac Max
I have the same noise but not as loud and only when I stop the car fully about to put it in park
Old 05-20-2017, 03:11 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by projektvertx
Have you tried new brake fluid?

Haven't changed the brake fluid yet. But it's on the to do list.
Old 05-20-2017, 03:19 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by teh CL
Tip of the day: RL front calipers are advics, not Brembos.

I have a similar noise but not as loud. I've replaced pads/rotors and I just recently bled the fluid but it's still there.

It's more than likely the calipers IMO. A rebuild would definitely help but if the brakes aren't an issue then I'd buy a used set of calipers with a rebuild kit, freshen them up with minimal down time. Fuck paying brand new prices..

Thank you for the tip of the day but my calipers clearly say Brembo. Unless the previous owner changed them from a TL Type S, ummm idk. But yeah, I Know a lot of the grey calipers from the RL's are Advics. But again, mine are black and say brembo.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:04 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,694 Likes on 1,308 Posts
Take a pics of your caliper, I say the Brembo bolts is from inside to out side where the RL bolt is top of the caliper to bottom. I have both car with both caliper on lol and I am pretty sure the RL caliper is not Brembo.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:43 AM
lvw
2nd Gear

Anybody ever figure out what this noise is?
My 2005 is doing the same. 190K miles and Im wondering how much $$$$ I want to put into her.
Old 11-03-2017, 11:06 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2005 with 270K kilometers also just started making this scary noise when pumping the brakes while parked. Today I took it into the local Acura "stealership" and for 200 bucks they told me they couldn't find out what was wrong after the cleaned and inspected the rotors. They suggested that I replace the rotors and pads and start from there......a far cry from a proper diagnosis. My gut felling is also leaning towards the master cylinder being the issue, but I have no way to back this up.

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 11-17-2017, 04:54 PM
2nd Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Took it to the Acura Stealership today and replaced the pads and re-surfaced the rotors. I was advise the aftermarket pads that were in there were the wrong shape for the calipers, and were causing the creaking sounds due to uneven contact.

Seems like it fixed the problem for now.
The following users liked this post:
teh CL (11-17-2017)