2005 RL - best styling of any Acura so far

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 03:52 PM
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 RL - best styling of any Acura so far

That's what the reviewer at MSN had to say. I prefer the TL based on looks, but the RL looks so much better in person than many think based on pictures. Just the other day, I saw a new black RL with 18 wheels and deck lid spoiler, quite the head turner.

Anyways, here's the rest the article:

Bottom Line:
Acura's flagship sedan, the RL, drops its conservative looks for something more modern and sporty, and while the only RL engine remains a V6, power is increased substantially. Calling younger luxury sedan buyers …

Pros:
Arguably the best styling of any Acura so far
More power than ever
Packaged with just about everything standard
Cons:
V6 and automatic transmission only
Voice recognition still needs work
Mixed sporty/refined personality

Expert Review
It probably doesn't shock anyone that buyers of the 2004 Acura RL had a median age of 55. The car, Acura's flagship sedan, had a conservative look and mostly conservative demeanor.

Time for a change—a lot of change.

Indeed, the successor RL, which debuted as a 2005 model in fall 2004, has sleek, sporty styling that caught other drivers' attention during my test drive—something that has never happened with an Acura test car before.

The new-generation RL also is the first with all-wheel drive. It's standard. The '05 RL becomes the first with a 5-speed automatic transmission and paddle shifters at the steering wheel, too—a feature that's reminiscent of race cars.

There's also a lot more power. The '05 car goes into the history books as the first RL with a full 300 horsepower, which is more power than any other Acura. There's only one engine, though, and it remains a V6.

Redesigned and re-engineered, the 2005 RL carries a new, higher starting price, too. Manufacturer's suggested retail price starts around $49,000 and compares with $43,000 for the '04 RL. But note the RL is packaged so completely, there are scarcely any add-ons.

The new model includes an automatic transmission, which is a more than $1,200 option on the 2005 BMW 530i. The RL includes rear and side window sun shades, too, which cost another $500-plus on that 530i. A power moonroof can be a $1,200 option on the V6-powered Cadillac STS but is standard on the RL. Ditto for heated front seats.

And in contrast with the Audi A6, every RL comes with a standard Bose Surround Sound system. It's an option on the A6.

The RL's lengthy standard equipment list also includes fog lights, tire pressure monitor, speed-sensing, intermittent windshield wipers, navigation system with voice recognition, genuine maple trim, electronic stability control, traction control, curtain airbags, anti-lock brakes, brake assist, one-year's subscription to the OnStar emergency notification system, solar-sensing, dual-zone climate control, trunk pass-through and adjustable lumbar support for the two front seats.

New, no-key entry
Be aware that drivers of the '05 RL don't need keys to start their cars, get inside or open the trunk. Instead, the RL has keyless access that means all a driver has to do is have the keyless fob with him or her—in a pocket, purse or in a hand. Then, a driver just walks up to the car and with a touch of the door handle, the car door opens.

There's no usual ignition key, either. The RL has what looks like a stump of a key that's permanently in the dashboard and needs to be turned, like a key would. But in the event that fob should fail, Acura includes a backup, mechanical key.

I heard the test car's engine start, but it was a faint sound, and even hard acceleration brought engine sounds that seemed to be far away. This is how insulated the RL's interior is.

In fact, when I shut the driver door, I immediately noticed how the RL doors closed with a solid "thud"—the kind of sound you expect from a German luxury sedan—and how quiet the interior was overall.

300 horsepower now
The engine remains a 3.5-liter 60-degree V6, but it's a new design and can develop 75 more horsepower than the 6-cylinder in the '04 RL.

Torque is up, too, to 260 lb-ft at 5000 rpm and compares with 231 lb-ft at 2800 rpm in the predecessor RL. The new RL is heavier than the old one, thanks to the all-wheel-drive addition and new features. Curb weight now is nearly 4,000 pounds.

But the new engine still surprised me as it moved the RL powerfully. I found myself traveling at highway speed while I was still on a short highway entrance ramp and had yet to merge into traffic. The engine sounds good, too, in a refined, almost Lexus-like way.

But if you prefer a louder engine note, the RL might not be as pleasing as you like. There's something of a mix of sporty/refined message in this car. I mean, there are the paddle shifters, and then there's that engine note that's not exactly noticeable much of the time.

There also is no manual transmission offered in the RL, while BMW's 5-Series offers a 6-speed manual as well as a Sequential Manual Gearbox.

No V8
Many competitors—the STS, A6 and BMW 5-Series, among them—offer V8s as well as 6-cylinder power plants. But Acura officials, while aware that a V8 can help a luxury car's image, said these bigger engines account for only 15 percent of the sales in this luxury sedan segment.

Besides, the RL's V6 has more power than the 6-cylinder power plants of the 255-horsepower STS, the 255-horsepower A6 and the 184- and 225-horsepower BMW 5-Series sedans.

The RL isn't exactly thrifty with fuel, though. Premium is the recommended fuel for optimum performance, and the RL is rated at 18 miles a gallon in city driving and 26 mpg on the highway. I averaged only 20.1 mpg during a mix of city and highway driving.

Called super-handling all-wheel drive
The RL's all-wheel-drive system does more than transfer power between front and rear wheels. It can modulate the power between the left and right rear wheels to help make cornering more precise and stable and thus contribute to sporty handling.

The all-wheel drive is on all the time and doesn't need to be activated by the driver. Previous RLs have been front-drive, but these days, more luxury cars, in particular, are adding all-wheel drive.

In any event, the RL moved through slalom without fuss, took curves and mountain roads confidently and had a pleasant highway cruising demeanor.

I didn't notice much wind noise, but there's some road noise that comes via the 17-inch, Michelin high-performance tires. It wasn't bad in the test car, and I was able to keep my radio at a moderate level.

Note the RL has Honda's Active Noise Cancellation in the interior which is designed to neutralize low-frequency booming sounds.

Fine interior
The interior of the test RL was pampering and pretty. Seats have perforated leather on them, there's nice-looking wood trim, and the audio system's surround sound is awesome.

At night, a soft bluish light illuminates the RL's floormats and joins map lights in offering a welcoming interior. A pale blue light also shines down on the center console, and the instrument gauges have a blue light that seems to emanate from the center of each one. I just wish the Xenon High Intensity Discharge headlamps didn't have such an abrupt horizontal line at the top of their beam. It's distracting and takes some getting used to.

The RL is the first car in North America to put real-time traffic information about construction zones, congestion and crashes on the navigation system map. The system uses XM NavTraffic and is available for freeways in 20 major metro areas including Los Angeles, New York City and Chicago.

Another highlight: The car's information system includes Zagat ratings of restaurants. But the RL voice recognition that can be used to adjust interior temperature and the radio as well as dial the phone didn't always understand what I asked it to do, even though I spoke loudly and slowly. It was frustrating.

Safety a priority
Safety is noteworthy. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration said the 2005 Acura RL is only the third vehicle in the history of the agency's crash testing program to achieve the top rating of five stars for rollover and for all seating positions in frontal and side-impact crash tests.

The car comes standard with a new body structure that's designed to keep crash forces away from passengers. There also are standard curtain airbags, anti-lock brakes and stability control, among other things.

The major competitors in the segment—the Cadillac STS, BMW 5-Series, Audi A6 and Mercedes-Benz E-Class for the 2005 model year—had no reported test results.

Acura officials look for the new RL to post annual sales of around 20,000, which is significantly higher than the 6,829 sales for the previous generation RL in calendar 2003, its last full year.

And as you might have guessed by now, target buyers for the 2005 RL will have median age of 50 or less.
Old 04-29-2005, 08:42 AM
office monkey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I think the RL is a great looking car I too feel the TL is the best looking acura car.
Old 04-29-2005, 10:24 AM
Advanced

I hate to admit it, the TL is nice looking, I was behind one last night and was like, "damn, that car does look sexy", but I think the RL is just sweet all around, people are noticing the RL more and more and know that it's not just a cheap car anymore, woohoo!
Old 09-22-2005, 10:37 AM
2nd Gear

Hi Guys:

I find this thread very interesting and needs some help/advice

I used to own a 1990 GS Special Edition Acura...they only made 500 and i loved it
It black and loaded with features that are now common place but it was cooooool

Anyways I'm seriously looking at the RL or TL . I am leaning to the RL yet my freind, who is a senior guy at Acura in Canada, basically said the $20K difference in price is too much for the slight differences. He himself drives ther TL and I was wondering what your thoughts are on this?

I have not test driven either but he is going to set this up for me. Money is not the issue but I dont want to be the guy that simply paid for the higher price and didnt get the equivalent extra value++

Thanks

Gman66
Old 09-22-2005, 10:53 AM
My Garage

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
nsx>*
Old 09-22-2005, 05:57 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by GIBSON6594
nsx>*
I couldn't agree more. NSX = best looking Acura ever! I would bet the new one will not be able to achieve the timeless design of the old one.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:40 PM
Racer

THe Legend is the best looking Acura Sedan ever, the 3rd gen TL 2nd and other other Acura should even be mentioned for having styling.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:12 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,854 Likes on 14,002 Posts
Big fan of RL's look. However, best Acura design ever is still the NSX...
Old 09-22-2005, 09:23 PM
ASP
Earl Shod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the RL is perfect looking; especially from the front.

Take a look at this member's photo next to the TL. In my opinion the RL steals the show.
Old 09-22-2005, 09:52 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts
I like the looks of both the new TL and RL. I think they purposely look very different since they are meant for different demographics.

The Infiniti M and G look very similar to me, on the other hand, at least from the side.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:06 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ASP

Take a look at this member's photo next to the TL. In my opinion the RL steals the show.
I actually prefered the TL to the RL (looks wise) until I saw this. Much better idea of looks and I like the RL a lot more now. Both are great looking though!
Old 09-22-2005, 11:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 22,854 Likes on 14,002 Posts
Originally Posted by vp911
I actually prefered the TL to the RL (looks wise) until I saw this. Much better idea of looks and I like the RL a lot more now. Both are great looking though!
The lower stance of the RL makes it look better.

Great car and definitely my #1 choice for sure if I was in the market for a sedan in that price segment.
Old 09-22-2005, 11:57 PM
Instructor

Pictures don't do the RL justice. This car simply looks fantastic when moving.
Old 09-23-2005, 12:02 AM
Three Wheelin'

I agree, photographs don't do the RL justice. You have to see the car in person to really get the subtle details of the car. Magazine photos are especially inadequate, in my opinion.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:14 PM
office monkey

Hmm yeah for any Acura I would say the NSX but I keep forgetting it exists. For sedan I'd still say the new TL. I like the RL look but overall I thinkt he TL looks better. I do agree the RL front is better though.
Old 09-23-2005, 01:44 PM
5th Gear

Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
THe Legend is the best looking Acura Sedan ever, the 3rd gen TL 2nd and other other Acura should even be mentioned for having styling.

Acura dropped the ball on styling from '96 until the new TL. The TL-S before that looked alright, but not the eye grabber the new one is.
Old 09-23-2005, 03:27 PM
Racer

Styling, almost by definition, is defined as "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"

All cars: RL, BMW, M, GS, STS, etc. have those who love their looks and those who do not.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:27 AM
5th Gear

Yeah, that's true that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I mean come one, let's be frank. A Mercedes clone definitely constitutes a lack of effort. They really weren't trying to make anything exciting to look at. Most people out of the Honda circle didn't even know what they were and from a distance actually thought RL's were Benzes. I'm glad Acura has something again to remind us of the fact that they started the whole Japanese luxury car idea.
Maybe they can actually get their RL or TL annual sales back up as high as Legend annual sales were.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:03 AM
Three Wheelin'

Speaking of looking like a Mercedes, Toyota purposely designed the Lexus LS to look like a Mercedes and it worked for them. My assumption is that, in the 1990's, Honda decided to follow Toyota's lead, which is why the original Acura RL looks like a Lexus LS which looks like a Mercedes.

The new RL, on the other hand, looks like a quintessential Japanese car, which is not a bad thing.

One more thing, I believe the second and third generation TL's both far outsell the Acura Legend during it's peak. Acura is actually doing quite well as a brand, it was the 5th most selling brand in the US last year with the highest percentage growth. This model year, Acura might even outsell the 4th largest brand: Mercedes.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:40 PM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Best looking Acura after NSX was the 2nd gen Legend Coupe (91-95).
Best Sedans were the 2nd gen Legend and the current TL.
I don't find the RL styling very interesting at all. For that price range I want more money in the looks.

Legend sales were strong from 88 to early 90's but by 95 the Legend Coupes were hitting $43k due partially to yen exchange rates, that's almost $10k more than the TL, so sales were lower.
I had both gens of Legend Coupes and I still miss my 95 coupe.
Old 09-25-2005, 09:50 PM
5th Gear

I've always liked the new TL, and I'm glad they're selling well. Hopefully the quality of it and the RL will hold, even though I think they're made in the U.S. now. I'm pretty sure TL sales are higher than Legend's, but I don't think RL sales are. It's a decent looking car, but probably it's best abilities are more on the technological side, which is probably where they have to be with more and more luxury cars going that way. I am curious though what the current TL and RL will look like to us in 10-15 years. Will they get compliments left and right like a good looking Legends does? Especially some of those tight 6-speed coupes (123456Speed) Hopefully, because I am considering the new TL to be my second car. It of course would be my daily driver, and probably not my show car. The RL wasn't a choice with no option of a manual tranny. But a Mugen M1 would definitely change my mind. Any word of a coupe in the works, on either the RL or TL?

123456Speed, what are you driving now?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:22 AM
Three Wheelin'

The Acura TL has been manufactured in the US since fall of 1998, but the RL has always been manufactured in Japan. It seems that the build quality of the TL is okay though. By the way, the CL and MDX have always been built in the US.

I wonder auto sales of the Acura Legend can be found anywhere on the Web?
Old 09-27-2005, 12:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

I found some information from this web site:

http://www.automobear.com/AcuraRLToo...nnovative.html

[Sales of the] "Legend, which soared to 70,770 at its peak in 1988. In 2000, Acura sold just 14,827 RLs." Those 2000 sales seem a little high to me, but oh well.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:21 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by jhr3uva90
By the way, the CL and MDX have always been built in the US.
The MDX is built in Canada I believe; I KNOW it originally was anyway.
Old 09-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by msu79gt82

Our 04 MDX was assembled in Ontario (Canada, not CA) as I believe all are. I think the Oddyseys are or at least were assembled the same place.

I agree with the comments on the Legend Coupe and also miss my 93 Coupe, though not so much for the styling as the performance. Great handling and fast car. Good to look at too.

The RL appearance is fine imho. Very nice features particularly with the small rear deck spoiler and the "mud flaps" or whatever they are called. The interior is well beyond most of the competitors, particularly with the extra wood of the optional shifter and steering wheel. The interior is the part I see the most as the daily driver. After nearly a year it still gives me smiles for the nice clean appearance, the great interior, the awesome electronics and the fun of driving it either in traffic or opening it up in a spirited manner when traffic allows. Great fun. Oh yeah, its reliable too, particularly having had European cars most recently before the RL.
Old 09-27-2005, 02:54 PM
office monkey

oh yeah the legend coupe in 90s was a sweet looking ride. A guy at my high school had a dark green one with gold emblem package and it was niiiiiice.
Old 09-27-2005, 05:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Yes, the second generation Legend coupe is a classic!
Old 09-28-2005, 02:10 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by AcuraGT-3
Amen, now and forever. I love my TSX, and the G2 RL/G4 Legend (depending on how you view it) and RDX are show stoppers, but the G2 Legend was their finest hour. Don't forget the 3-year run of the Vigor, either ... no mistaking that one for anything but a Japanese thoroughbred.
Old 09-28-2005, 10:28 AM
CLS 6MT Navi

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
Vigor - a 'Japanese thoroughbred'?! I call it a poor design decision and a flop, but I prefer coupes.

Telafonic,
I now drive an 03 CL Type S 6MT. previously-
95 Legend Coupe,
88 Legend Coupe,
83 Honda Prelude.
All were great coupes. The CLS is a great car. It was an 8 year wait from the 95 Legend for Acura to offer a shifter in a 6 cyl coupe, (besides NSX). Still waiting on a new Acura Coupe off the RL or TL, I hope it's the TL styling, but don't know why they are waiting so long for a new coupe.

Yea, I like Honda coupes and their manual shifters are the best I've ever tried, better than BMW and Infiniti coupes I've driven too IMO.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:26 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by ASP

this is a great picture and has gotten me to like the RL just a bit more. BUT IMO i think the picture doesnt do the TL justice. You cant really see the aggresive lines on it b/c of the shadows. Overall, i think the TL is better. It combines luxury and sport perfectly. Then again, thats not the RLs goal, the RL is the flagship and is supposed to be ultra luxurious (not necessarily sporty)...a job i think it does well.

bottomline, dollar wise...TL wins, hands down IMHO
Old 03-27-2006, 05:31 PM
Advanced

Ummm, everyone talking about Acura's best designs seem to be forgetting something...what about the INTEGRA! im a fan of that...maybe not envelope pushing design but def. a hot car for a young driver! And my response to the CL is --->

just my two cents
Old 03-27-2006, 05:49 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by msu79gt82
My sticker says the 04 MDX was assembled in Alliston Ontario
Old 04-12-2006, 07:44 PM
9th Gear

I had a 2004 tl before having my A spec Black on Black RL. I thought my tl was the greatest car in the entire world its all i talked about/thought about lol, however based on the looks i get now verses before I know the rl is soooo much more of a head turner. The car looks amazing when its moving, when im driving in the plaza I watch my cars reflection in the windows and cant help but smile. From the stance to the shine of the aspec rims the car is stunning. There are next to no RL's in my area of the new body style. I have yet to see someone else with an aspec rl in person instead of pics online. I think alot of the bmw drivers who may have overlooked the rl because it may look conservative need to see an A spec version in person..I really think that if the dealers would start putting aspecs together it would win over alot of buyers from bmw and lexus... Nobody buys a car if they dont know it exists..
Old 04-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Rob L
While I think the RL is a great looking car I too feel the TL is the best looking acura car.
Having owned both I agree. The TL is a sharper, more aggressive-looking car. The RL looks like a Honda.

With that said, the quality on the TL was crap. Paint, tires, brakes, transmission, leather (and plastic), dashboard fading, etc.

The RL has been far superior in every regard (even little things like the RL's purple anti-glare coating on the instruments vs. the TL's unevenly lit cheap-looking dials).

So beauty really is skin deep.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Three Wheelin'

Well, the current TL was designed and buiit in the US, while the RL was designed and built in Japan. That's why the TL's look is more appeling to US tastes, while the RL's look is more appealing to Japanese tastes. I'm going to stay out of the whole built in USA vs. built in Japan controversy, though.
Old 04-15-2006, 12:44 PM
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
My parents just picked up an 06 Opulent blue peal RL and while I don't believe its the best car out there for the $50k sticker price, @ $42.5k vs. ~34k for a TL Navi its a deal that simply cannot be beaten
Old 04-15-2006, 03:57 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
TL owner chimin in over here. I test drove the RL almost 2 years ago in November of 04 when it first came out, and was enamored by the top notch fit and finish and interior. The styling was restrained and classy, but I decided to give it some time to see whether it would look just as good once the "newness" of it had worn off. I gotta say, I just saw one today (white on parchment) and it looks just as classy as they did when they first came out. Very classy, very subdued, and a much tighter (read smaller) looking package than some of the other vehicles in its class that seem more bulbous and bloated.

You guys own a great car, and hopefully I'll join the ranks of RL owners within the next couple of years.
Old 04-16-2006, 11:42 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
My take after researching both cars (TL a couple years ago, RL before buying M)

TL: More aggressively styled but still restrained (More like Usher, less like lil' john).

RL: Best styling of any Acura sedan...just not as aggressive as TL. More refined looking...but add a nice set of styled 18" or 19" rims and that fixes things PERFECTLY. (more like Michael Jordan...in Hanes underwear, without a nice suit on though, less like Rodman thank god).
Old 04-16-2006, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL...I love the lil John reference! That is damn funny!!!

E=mrdeeno]My take after researching both cars (TL a couple years ago, RL before buying M)

TL: More aggressively styled but still restrained (More like Usher, less like lil' john).

RL: Best styling of any Acura sedan...just not as aggressive as TL. More refined looking...but add a nice set of styled 18" or 19" rims and that fixes things PERFECTLY. (more like Michael Jordan...in Hanes underwear, without a nice suit on though, less like Rodman thank god).[/QUOTE]
Old 04-16-2006, 08:38 PM
Indian Acura Driver

The Acura RL itself is a bit plain.

Throw in the Acura RL A-Spec, and you've got yourself a car. The kit gives it a nice aggressive look and then those rims...Wow.

However the sexiest Acura will always be, the 2005 Acura NSX. Hands down.

Quick Reply: 2005 RL - best styling of any Acura so far