2005 Acura RL Issue Doors will lock Evey 5min while driving or at a stop

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 01:29 PM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2005 Acura RL Issue Doors will lock Evey 5min while driving or at a stop

Hi,

I Have a 2005 Acura RL and the Doors will lock Every 5min while driving or at a stop this happend most in hot weather. The Acura Dealers are not able to locate the problom.
Has anyone with a 2005-2008 RL has had this issue?

Regards,

Norcal94116
Old 10-30-2008, 01:59 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
It sounds to me like there is a problem with the power door lock actuator, possibly a short. It may even be related to the touch sensitive door handles, which have been reported to have problems.

The behavior you describe does not align with the power door lock auto modes. You can alter these settings via the MID's personal settings.

One auto lock mode is when shifting out of PARK to loc the doors.
Another is when the vehicle reaches 10mph to lock the doors.
The third is OFF (no autolock mode).

Similarly there is a setting to UNLOCK the door(s) when you shift into PARK.

None of these really cover the issue you describe, which makes me think there is an issue with the power door lock actuator. I believe another member here (GoHawks?) had a similar situation where the touch sensitive door handle had a short causing the doors to lock and unlock sporadically, closer to what you describe.

What you may try is: Change the personal settings for the power door lock / unlock that your MID is currently set. If that changes the behavior, it may narrow the diagnosis for the tech. If it does not change the behavior, then the problem is more universal than the MID personal settings for auto door lock / unlock.

If your service center cannot diagnose it, simply call Acura Customer Care and report the issue and the ineffective service you have experienced. They will either monitor your service center until you are satisfied or arrange an appointment with a regional Acura rep.

This is not an issue that should be left unaddessed.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:17 PM
7th Gear

Hi all four power door lock actuator has been replaced,

I have tested all setting

1. auto lock mode is when shifting out of PARK to loc the doors.
2. vehicle locks when it reaches 10mph to lock the doors.
3. is OFF

no changes the doors still lock every 5min i think it could be a BCM Body Control Module because it happend when its hot. i told the dealer this and the have been able to trace the problom and advised them to find the the correct BCM and give me the part number and ill replace it myself. i got this car new in 2005 and this issue stated the second year of ownership and now the car has 97k and the Acura extended warranty will be up at 100k. I have call the acura/honda main office and has not been able to help with this issue.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:20 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by TampaRL
It sounds to me like there is a problem with the power door lock actuator, possibly a short. It may even be related to the touch sensitive door handles, which have been reported to have problems.

The behavior you describe does not align with the power door lock auto modes. You can alter these settings via the MID's personal settings.

One auto lock mode is when shifting out of PARK to loc the doors.
Another is when the vehicle reaches 10mph to lock the doors.
The third is OFF (no autolock mode).

Similarly there is a setting to UNLOCK the door(s) when you shift into PARK.

None of these really cover the issue you describe, which makes me think there is an issue with the power door lock actuator. I believe another member here (GoHawks?) had a similar situation where the touch sensitive door handle had a short causing the doors to lock and unlock sporadically, closer to what you describe.

What you may try is: Change the personal settings for the power door lock / unlock that your MID is currently set. If that changes the behavior, it may narrow the diagnosis for the tech. If it does not change the behavior, then the problem is more universal than the MID personal settings for auto door lock / unlock.

If your service center cannot diagnose it, simply call Acura Customer Care and report the issue and the ineffective service you have experienced. They will either monitor your service center until you are satisfied or arrange an appointment with a regional Acura rep.

This is not an issue that should be left unaddessed.

3. is OFF

no changes the doors still lock every 5min i think it could be a BCM Body Control Module because it happend when its hot. I told the dealer this and they have not been able to trace the problom and advised them to find the the correct BCM and give me the part number and ill replace it myself. i got this car new in 2005 and this issue stated the second year of ownership and now the car has 97k and the Acura extended warranty will be up at 100k. I have call the acura/honda main office and has not been able to help with this issue.

Thanks For the Reply
Old 10-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

There is no reason for you to replace it yourself if the car is under warranty (extended). Even if Acura has to attempt to rectify under trial and error, they need to correct this issue. I would assume you have made no modifications to the car, especially electronically related, that they coul use as an excuse to dismiss this?

If not, there is no reason ACS should NOT be following up until this is resolved. I would contact them again, request a case be opened, document the prior attempts to fix and arrange a regional Acura representative be engaged until the situation is rectified. The Service Center seems to be duped. That is no reason to pass the buck.

It is your car, your time and your frustration threshold, but I would not allow this to be deflected any further.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Instructor

During the first few months I had it, my '05 would randomly re-lock the doors. But that got fixed with the first BCM flash. You might see if that flash has been done to your car.
Old 10-30-2008, 03:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
Originally Posted by Norcal94116

3. is OFF

no changes the doors still lock every 5min i think it could be a BCM Body Control Module because it happend when its hot. i told the dealer this and the have been able to trace the problom and advised them to find the the correct BCM and give me the part number and ill replace it myself. i got this car new in 2005 and this issue stated the second year of ownership and now the car has 97k and the Acura extended warranty will be up at 100k. I have call the acura/honda main office and has not been able to help with this issue.
You have lived with this problem for 2+ years?
Old 10-30-2008, 04:12 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by scottj
During the first few months I had it, my '05 would randomly re-lock the doors. But that got fixed with the first BCM flash. You might see if that flash has been done to your car.
The BCM was replace when that TSB was release back in 05 or 06 i think it started when that was replaced.

thanks for the feedback.
Old 11-01-2008, 12:23 AM
Racer

is there a chance your battery is going bad? Acura locks start going haywire when the battery goes bad. I know this because my car locks on my cl started locking when the battery was going bad. The car didn't have an auto-lock feature.. the battery would still run the car, but it was a sign that the battery was dying. The battery never stopped working completely, but once I changed the battery it resolved.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:23 PM
7th Gear

The RL is finally fixed they Flashed the main ECU not the BCM. I told Dealer to do for the past three year and finally did it corrected all my other issues like Mirror returns back after being in reverse and the Locking issues. Ill keep my fingers crossed it was done at 96k and now im at 99k yes i drive alot im in the Military and travel to alot of west coast states.

Thanks Guys for all the help!!!!!!

norcal94116

only one other major repair on this car was the Transmission it was making a high pitch noise whe you let you foot of the slightly off accelerator it was replaced at 95K the has been flawless. Three Sets of Tires
Old 11-14-2008, 06:24 PM
7th Gear

Originally Posted by gcook
is there a chance your battery is going bad? Acura locks start going haywire when the battery goes bad. I know this because my car locks on my cl started locking when the battery was going bad. The car didn't have an auto-lock feature.. the battery would still run the car, but it was a sign that the battery was dying. The battery never stopped working completely, but once I changed the battery it resolved.
Thanks for the feedback the battery was replaced early this year at 75K
Old 11-14-2008, 06:30 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Originally Posted by Norcal94116
I told Dealer to do for the past three year and finally did it corrected all my other issues like Mirror returns back after being in reverse and the Locking issues.
Glad the RL is fixed.

If my dealer deflected me over three years, especially for factory paid warranty work, there would be nothing to find except a burnt out crater where the dealership once stood.

You should do a service to any and all who may fall victim to that dealership and clearly explain the above situation to Acura C/S. Acura rates dealerships on service levels and that bozoship needs 3years of hurting for the DISSERVICE they did to you and Acura as a brand.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:38 PM
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TampaRL
there would be nothing to find except a burnt out crater where the dealership once stood.
These door handles are wonderful when they work-when they work.