2 Remotes in the Car: Which One Wins?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:25 AM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 2 Remotes in the Car: Which One Wins?

If you get in the car with your better ½ who also has a remote, which one will be recognized by the car for the seat (& etc) settings?
Old 04-10-2008, 06:28 AM
Safety Car

Received 312 Likes on 198 Posts
The one who unlocks the doors wins.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:45 AM
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I believe the car recognizes the Fob when it's within 3-feet of the vehicle. That's why they tell the driver to approach the vehicle first so the seat/steering wheel will adjust to the person who is going to be behind the wheel.
Old 04-10-2008, 07:51 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
If I'm with my wife, I race her to the car. If she gets there first, I end up listening to the Oprah station on XM.

LL
Old 04-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally Posted by lland
If I'm with my wife, I race her to the car. If she gets there first, I end up listening to the Oprah station on XM.

LL
Ha ha, same thing happens to me!

And for us, it is who touches the handle first with the closest fob.
Old 04-10-2008, 09:00 AM
Instructor

Arrow Overriding?

Originally Posted by robarsan
I believe the car recognizes the Fob when it's within 3-feet of the vehicle. That's why they tell the driver to approach the vehicle first so the seat/steering wheel will adjust to the person who is going to be behind the wheel.
I was afraid this would be the case. If the driver is not the first one at/in the car, is there a way for the driver to "override" the setting (other than hitting the appropriate button inside the driver door)?
Old 04-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

Originally Posted by Sylvain
I was afraid this would be the case. If the driver is not the first one at/in the car, is there a way for the driver to "override" the setting (other than hitting the appropriate button inside the driver door)?

You could deactivate her keyfob, but then it wouldn't link to the car at all. And hopefully I'm not missing something here - but why would you want to go through all of the trouble to override the settings? The override is actually to push the driver button. Was there something else you were looking for?

I don't mean that to sound like an ass, I'm just not sure what the big deal about pushing the driver button is?
Old 04-10-2008, 10:06 AM
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts
That would just adjust the seat, wheel, and mirrors correct? It would still leave driver2 climate control, audio and nav preferences in place.
Old 04-10-2008, 10:15 AM
Don't feed the...WTF?

I'm not sure about that one. Now that I think about it - I'm not even sure that my car makes any changes between the two. I think it's more that my wife drives my car once a month (or less) and probably hasn't bothered setting stations and such for the trip to the store.
Old 04-10-2008, 11:14 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
...I'm just not sure what the big deal about pushing the driver button is?
I believe if you push the button, it only moves the seat, mirrors, and steering wheel, leaving all other settings (radio, climate, etc.) alone.

LL
Old 04-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GLowrdr
I'm not sure about that one. Now that I think about it - I'm not even sure that my car makes any changes between the two. I think it's more that my wife drives my car once a month (or less) and probably hasn't bothered setting stations and such for the trip to the store.
Same here. My wife drives the car once a month...if that. But her settings are all different becasue the day we bought the car, the salesman went through the menu and set everything up for us individually. I don't believe any of her settings have changed since, but they are different than mine (hence, a radio preset for Oprah).

LL
Old 04-10-2008, 11:35 AM
Instructor

Exclamation Driver Button Doing it All?

I believe if you push the button, it only moves the seat, mirrors, and steering wheel, leaving all other settings (radio, climate, etc.) alone.LL
That was my concern GLowrdr, I certainly don't want to deactivate my wife's fob, we both use the car (individually) regularly and also ride in it together regularly with our fobs in pocket. Thus the concern to have (all) the appropriate settings even if the driver is not the first one at/in the car. If the driver button does it all, it won't be a big deal. I am just not sure about it...
Old 04-10-2008, 02:07 PM
Safety Car

Received 421 Likes on 315 Posts
Simple solution: Always open her door for her and make sure you get closest to the car first!
There was a thread on this before, and I cannot recall who did the test, but 2007+ models keep setting of who unlocked Driver's side door last. (My 2005 does not behave that way)
Old 04-10-2008, 04:14 PM
Safety Car

Another solution that does not require you to always be the perfect gentleman.

You are Driver 1
Your wife is Driver 2

Let's say you get in the car, twist the ignition and the MID says Welcome Driver 2, naturally, because she got there before you, or whatever other reason.

Turn the ignition off, use your key fob 1 to lock and unlock the car. Twist the knob to ignition on position, and it will say Welcome Driver 1.

Warning:

When you lock the car, you will notice that a red alarm system armed light turns on in the dash. DO NOT open any doors, otherwise the alarm will go off. If you just lock the car and unlock it immediately, it will have the effect of changing the profile to that of whatever remote was just used.
Old 04-11-2008, 06:15 AM
Instructor

Question Unlock Again?

Originally Posted by Chas2
(...)Turn the ignition off, use your key fob 1 to lock and unlock the car. Twist the knob to ignition on position, and it will say Welcome Driver 1.(...)
Thanks Chas2. Would hitting the unlock button on the remote even before opening my door work too? (avoids having to fool around with the ignition) Or does someone have to go through a lock/re-lock cycle to make this process work?
Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
I believe if you push the button, it only moves the seat, mirrors, and steering wheel, leaving all other settings (radio, climate, etc.) alone.

LL
I thought it did.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Instructor

Exclamation Other Related Thread

Originally Posted by getakey
(...)There was a thread on this before, and I cannot recall who did the test, but 2007+ models keep setting of who unlocked Driver's side door last. (My 2005 does not behave that way)
I may have found the thread you referred to: https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=267
Old 04-11-2008, 03:12 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Sylvain
Thanks Chas2. Would hitting the unlock button on the remote even before opening my door work too? (avoids having to fool around with the ignition) Or does someone have to go through a lock/re-lock cycle to make this process work?
Good question. For me, and my 2006, unlocking with remote does work, setting it to Driver 1, but...and I have to test this....

I think what happens is that I can set the car to Driver 1 with my fob by unlocking the door. However, if my wife is ahead of me, even after I set it to Driver 1 with the remote, her touching the handle with her fob in her purse will change the setting from Driver 1 to Driver 2.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:17 PM
Safety Car

Chas - I do not believe that is true. The act of unlocking the car determines the settings. For example, if the car was never locked from previous use, opening the car door (whcih requires grabbing the handle) will not change the settings from the previous use. The settings would inly change if your wife touched the outside of the handle after you unlocked with your FOB.
Old 04-11-2008, 03:24 PM
Safety Car

Yeah, that is another thing, how you open the door. She very often closes her hand around the whole handle locking, unlocking, locking, the car is beeping away and she is cursing it because she cannot get in the car.

The solution, other than trying to train her, is to open the door for her, "as the proper gentleman should"
Old 04-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Safety Car

Chas - totally understand
I just had an interesting thought. I know you cannot lock your FOB in the car, but can you lock FOB2 in car if you have FOB1 in hand? Does it matter whether you use the FOB1 directly or touch the handle?
Similar, can you lock FOB2 in trunk in same situation? (not saying I want to lock my wife in trunk, just her purse.)
Old 05-04-2008, 03:10 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Duh. I'm not giving the wife a fob
Old 05-04-2008, 04:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
connolley, welcome to AZ! .....and I guess that's one approach to the problem.

This will be an issue as we're driving to Colorado in three weeks in the RL (I insist on not taking the Pilot this year!).
Old 05-18-2008, 08:03 AM
Burning Brakes

Another take on the two remote dilemma...

Yesterday I went to my son's baseball game. Dropped my wife and other son at the field and went to park (you don't want to park too close for fear of foul balls).

I tossed her bag in the trunk and tried to shut it. After about five times of it beeping at me and popping back up, I (finally) realized her fob was in the bag and the car wouldn't let me lock it in the trunk.

Wondering what would happen, I took both her fob and mine, locked the car, and held them in my hand as I grabbed the door handle. At first I thought the confused car would simply explode but it just unlocked, so I got in, sat down, and started it up. Got the "Welcome Driver 1" message so I guess if the two fobs "hit" at the same time, the car will just stick with the last one recognized.

LL