1st 2005 RL Service -Type B Cost

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2006, 11:45 AM
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
1st 2005 RL Service -Type B Cost

Finally had the 05 RL in the shop for servicing. The display noted Type B Service was required. Dropped the car off.

I just got a voicemail for the service and it came out to $164.

I thought Type B Service was just an Oil Change? Am I paying for somebody's Valentine Roses?

Any help would be appreciated. I am in Central Jersey.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:55 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by static808
Finally had the 05 RL in the shop for servicing. The display noted Type B Service was required. Dropped the car off.

I thought Type B Service was just an Oil Change? Am I paying for somebody's Valentine Roses?

I haven't had the RL in for service yet but with my S2000 I took it to the Honda dealship for it's first maintenance, which was an oil change and the checking of the rest of the fluids, and it cost me around $130 iirc. With the Acura cost offset that sounds about right. I never took the S2000 back to the dealership again and did all of my own maintenance, just like I always have, but I do plan on using the dealership for the RL as I just don't have the time anymore. I can't believe that they charge so much for a glorified oil change but I think what you paid is probably about right. I would think that Jersey would be cheaper then out here but maybe not.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
This is from the AcuraLink Owners website, it says 2006 but I can't imagine it would be any different from 2005

Maintenance Minder B Scheduled Maintenance
Recommended service for your 2006 Acura RL:

Replace engine oil and oil filter

Inspect front and rear brakes

Check parking brake adjustment

Visually inspect tie rod ends, steering gear box, and boots

Visually inspect suspension components

Visually inspect driveshaft boots

Visually inspect brake hoses and line (including ABS)

Visually inspect all fluid levels and condition of fluids

Visually inspect exhaust system#

Visually inspect fuel lines and connections#

#: See information on maintenance and emissions warranty in the first column on page 356 of your owner's manual.
Old 02-14-2006, 12:47 PM
Racer

Looks like they do a few additional things other than Oil & Filter. Thanks for the information Treblig.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:10 PM
Racer

Yeah that's the same for Honda as far as I remember. I still think it's overpriced for a glorified oil change but that's how they make their money I guess.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:46 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
I never paid more than $35 for a TL service and expect the same with my RL.

Others got raped (as much as $200 for B1 or A2 or whatever they are) and it's just plain foolish.

Just ask for the core services and pay by each one. The A, B, etc. are ways to mask an oil change and checking fluids....
Old 02-14-2006, 02:03 PM
bkw
Death to Dave Marek.

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig
This is from the AcuraLink Owners website, it says 2006 but I can't imagine it would be any different from 2005

You forgot this one:

Bend customer over and have him/her grab their ankles.

Old 02-14-2006, 04:54 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by lindros2
I never paid more than $35 for a TL service and expect the same with my RL.

Others got raped (as much as $200 for B1 or A2 or whatever they are) and it's just plain foolish.

Just ask for the core services and pay by each one. The A, B, etc. are ways to mask an oil change and checking fluids....

Others get raped when they get A, B, C services done. I had never paid more than $30 for my CL-S service, unless I needed something special done like trany fluid change, or brake pads. Also I expect the same for my 05 RL. Our car's now have oil life indicators, I think on average they go off at 8500 miles. So you can’t get sucked in anymore for oil changes every 3500K, like they used to indicate on a service sticky that was glued on your window.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:22 PM
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Treblig

#: See information on maintenance and emissions warranty in the first column on page 356 of your owner's manual.
You know what... when I get my oil changed at my usual garage (been going there for 15 years) they do all that with every oil change, and I dont get charged for it either.
Most places will do that because since they have it on the lift, its in their interest to find anything wrong, because if there is something wrong and it causes an accident or issue after leaving their shop, they could get sued, so they want to know its ok before it leaves, and if there is an issue, either its warranty-but they have identified it for you and they dont have liability, or its not warranty and maybe they get more work ($$$) from you.
Old 02-14-2006, 10:39 PM
Registered Abuser of VTEC

Received 115 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by sotiri
You know what... when I get my oil changed at my usual garage (been going there for 15 years) they do all that with every oil change, and I dont get charged for it either.
Most places will do that because since they have it on the lift, its in their interest to find anything wrong, because if there is something wrong and it causes an accident or issue after leaving their shop, they could get sued, so they want to know its ok before it leaves, and if there is an issue, either its warranty-but they have identified it for you and they dont have liability, or its not warranty and maybe they get more work ($$$) from you.
Our Acura dealer in Edmonton charges a lot less than what that guy is paying, even in Canadian money.

I got the timing belt and all accessory belts changed for $198 CDN on my first gen TL.
Old 02-14-2006, 11:12 PM
kgd
Instructor

Mine was about $120 and also included rotating the tires.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:26 AM
Racer

I'm in the South...had 3 scheduled oil changes...2 in Shreveport, Louisiana and one in Jackson, Mississippi...each ran between $65 and $75. Along with the regular services, I'm having the brakes/door lock warranty work done...(I need to update my progress on the warranty work in another thread). I'm taking the RL in when the maintenance system says to...ie, no unscheduled oil changes.

Does your ticket indicate what all was done?
Old 02-15-2006, 10:11 AM
Cruisin'

Service B for me was about $120 and I know it's a rip-off.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:46 PM
Advanced

In January, I had my first oil, filter change. They checkedl fluids, tires, rods, etc. cleaned interior and washed the exterior. The service from Bell Acura (the dealer who sold me my 2005 RL) was super. Two full pages listing the services that were performed were checked on the report presented to me when I paid. Cost: $32.

Oh yes, the coffee was hot and good, the pasteries fresh and delicious and the HDTV programs excellent.
Old 02-15-2006, 01:26 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by shepsan
In January, I had my first oil, filter change. They checkedl fluids, tires, rods, etc. cleaned interior and washed the exterior. The service from Bell Acura (the dealer who sold me my 2005 RL) was super. Two full pages listing the services that were performed were checked on the report presented to me when I paid. Cost: $32.

Oh yes, the coffee was hot and good, the pasteries fresh and delicious and the HDTV programs excellent.
Wow, so I guess each stealership must make up their own prices instead of having some standard per hour labor rate or something for scheduled maintenances. Worthless. Some of us get screwed and some of us don't.
Old 02-16-2006, 02:27 PM
Black

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Honestly I'm at 3150 miles and my oil life recently went from 70% > 60%. If you extrapole (let's say I've used 35% of my oil) I'm not due for first service until 9375 or so miles.

Like a moron I did my first TL service at 3800 miles. Not again - these cars are more in tune with what they need and when than I am.

And, yes, I'm going to have them itemize all service work performed. $24 for an oil change is more realistic than $120 for an "A1" (which is a steak sauce, no?).
Old 02-16-2006, 10:07 PM
Racer

For my $164 service it was as follows:

$121 for labor..
$33 for parts
$1 misc. charge
$9 tax

Changed the oil & filter
Rotated the tires
Inspect Steering, Suspension, Exhaust, Lights, Belt & Hoses
Road Test Vehicle for Proper Peformance (Visit Local McDonalds)

So, in other words...this dealer just lost a customer...I mean this is ridiculous for a car with 6,500 miles. I view it as a lesson in life. Chalk it up to being naive and "trusting" a dealer.

By the way, this isn't the dealer where I bought my RL. I moved after getting the RL and got my car serviced at the nearest dealer in the NAV. Not anymore, I'll drive the 25miles to my dealer.
Old 02-16-2006, 10:36 PM
Instructor

For my $164 service it was as follows:

$121 for labor..
$33 for parts
$1 misc. charge
$9 tax

Changed the oil & filter
Rotated the tires
Inspect Steering, Suspension, Exhaust, Lights, Belt & Hoses
Road Test Vehicle for Proper Peformance (Visit Local McDonalds)

So, in other words...this dealer just lost a customer...I mean this is ridiculous for a car with 6,500 miles. I view it as a lesson in life. Chalk it up to being naive and "trusting" a dealer.

By the way, this isn't the dealer where I bought my RL. I moved after getting the RL and got my car serviced at the nearest dealer in the NAV. Not anymore, I'll drive the 25miles to my dealer.
I think your RL and you got RAPED!!!!!! Oil change should only be under $30. Local tire place can rotate your tires for fraction of the cost, maybe even free. The rest should be included with your oil change price!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 11:21 PM
goodbye RL for now...

Damn Acura and the stealership. Don't they realize that they can get volume with charging less. I don't trust that "inspect" bullcrap or look at stuff, that's just heresey and lying and all that other con stuff. I mean, there might be some newbie service guy that hasn't learn the trick or the trade that you get paid the same amount for however long you take on what service and really checks everything, but the majority just put it through their own quicky looks. This is coming from a service tech of another dealership. I can't speak for Acura, but lets just hope that they do something about the price.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:38 AM
Racer

Its funny how our friends at ACS haven't call me yet. They will call me when I buy the car, but don't they want to know how the service experience went?

Hopefully they call.
Old 02-17-2006, 10:50 AM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
I never understand why you pay someone to see if a part is broken. I'd rather have them fix the broken part AFTER it is broken.

Also the oil life indicator is not correct for the syn oils. I use Mobil 1 and will not get it changed every 7500. It will be more like 10K.

One thing I did get in the B service was the rear dif fluid changed.
Old 02-17-2006, 02:03 PM
goodbye RL for now...

Originally Posted by Professor
I never understand why you pay someone to see if a part is broken. I'd rather have them fix the broken part AFTER it is broken.

Also the oil life indicator is not correct for the syn oils. I use Mobil 1 and will not get it changed every 7500. It will be more like 10K.

One thing I did get in the B service was the rear dif fluid changed.
Why did you get the above mentioned service? (rear dif) Did your vehicle require it, etc. TIA
Old 02-17-2006, 03:06 PM
Карты убийцы

Received 125 Likes on 100 Posts
Originally Posted by tyrael
Why did you get the above mentioned service? (rear dif) Did your vehicle require it, etc. TIA

Yes, I had a B6 MID reference at about 15K miles. The strange part is that I have 35K and no B6 yet?????
Old 02-17-2006, 04:02 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Professor
Yes, I had a B6 MID reference at about 15K miles. The strange part is that I have 35K and no B6 yet?????
That's b/c it's due to they way it's driven.

Every1 will have a different schedule.

B Service @ Courtesy Acura is 60 bux.

As far as the 1 dude saying that the 2 is $200 bux or so, it should be about $130 (as is @ Courtesy) b/c it includes the engine air filter & the a/c pollen filter(s).

Oh &, there is no C service.
Old 02-17-2006, 07:33 PM
goodbye RL for now...

Originally Posted by R J Poseidon 6
That's b/c it's due to they way it's driven.

Every1 will have a different schedule.

B Service @ Courtesy Acura is 60 bux.

As far as the 1 dude saying that the 2 is $200 bux or so, it should be about $130 (as is @ Courtesy) b/c it includes the engine air filter & the a/c pollen filter(s).

Oh &, there is no C service.
I like the B service quote for Courtesy Acura. I'm still debating on whether to head back to Orange Park. They've always been nice, but now I'll have to call and see the price difference.
Old 02-20-2006, 01:26 PM
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
6,254 miles and triggered 'B' service. Requested Courtesy Acura in Littleton, CO do an oil/filter change. They inspected and topped off fluids. Didn't need the tire rotation as I had recently put on snows. (They did 'check and adjust' my tire pressures, this after I had just set them up how I wanted them a few days earlier 34front/32 rear)

Total cost $29.95.

Also mentioned to the service advisor I was heading over to their parts dept. to get some new wiper blade inserts. He said don't bother, they'd put some new ones in under warranty.
Old 02-20-2006, 07:02 PM
Racer

I had a coupon for 84.95 for the B service. Because I had some accessories installed they did it for $65.
Old 02-21-2006, 12:06 AM
goodbye RL for now...

Wow!!! That's a freaking steal for $29.95. I called Acura of Orange Park and they wanted $219.95 for the Service B and then an additional $89.95 for the Differential Fluid Brake In Change.

Courtesy still hasn't gotten back to me. Hopefully I'll be able to save. This is ridiculous! This service costs more than it does at Mercedes for my C55!!! I'M PISSED!!!
Old 02-21-2006, 06:18 AM
Instructor

Wow!!! That's a freaking steal for $29.95. I called Acura of Orange Park and they wanted $219.95 for the Service B and then an additional $89.95 for the Differential Fluid Brake In Change.

Courtesy still hasn't gotten back to me. Hopefully I'll be able to save. This is ridiculous! This service costs more than it does at Mercedes for my C55!!! I'M PISSED!!!

I think you should call and ask for oil change only! Hello???????? Read the post above.
Old 02-21-2006, 08:38 AM
goodbye RL for now...

Originally Posted by andrewgg2
I think you should call and ask for oil change only! Hello???????? Read the post above.
I was looking at that, but does that actually fulfill the service req? I always had the feeling that they know and keep track if u don't choose the right service...
Old 02-21-2006, 09:39 AM
Instructor

I was looking at that, but does that actually fulfill the service req? I always had the feeling that they know and keep track if u don't choose the right service...
If you look at this you have oil change only and rest is "visually" You have a new car!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If something is wrong they have to fix it under warranty anyways.
Getting oil change only does not void your warranty. Delaer Rape is service A, B, C due to "Visually".
:

Old 02-22-2006, 03:58 PM
~HondaF1~

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by andrewgg2
If you look at this you have oil change only and rest is "visually" You have a new car!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If something is wrong they have to fix it under warranty anyways.
Getting oil change only does not void your warranty. Delaer Rape is service A, B, C due to "Visually".
The visual inspections usually include adjustment if necessary (which is why the manufacturer recommends it).

...... & as far as them keeping track, you are absolutely right, sometimes there are things normally not covered by the warranty & if you do what the car asks ~ 9 out of 10 times ~ it's going to be taken care of.
Old 02-22-2006, 06:16 PM
Racer

Take the money you save and buy a Helms service manual, which describes the inspections in great detail.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:50 AM
Racer

I called my Acura dealer yesterday to schedule the 15,000 check. Was told the cost is $300. I asked the cost of an oil change and rear differental fluid change. The oil change was $24, Diff. fluid change was $85, for a total of $109. That means $191 to rotate tires and make the visual inspections. Am I missing something?
Old 02-25-2006, 11:03 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by catsailr
I called my Acura dealer yesterday to schedule the 15,000 check. Was told the cost is $300. I asked the cost of an oil change and rear differental fluid change. The oil change was $24, Diff. fluid change was $85, for a total of $109. That means $191 to rotate tires and make the visual inspections. Am I missing something?
Only your money if you hand it over to the dealer.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:17 AM
Racer

I think I'm going to consider some other brand when I trade vehicles again. As much as I like both of my vehicles, I don't like getting ripped off on the service. $300 for the RL and $247 for my Honda Pilot for the 15,000 service is ridiculous. I had a '92 Ford Explorer that had 125,000 miles when I sold it. Never was back to the dealer. All I ever did was change oil and never had any problems.
Old 02-25-2006, 02:57 PM
goodbye RL for now...

Well, I went to Courtesy Acura and met R.J. who was a great Service Advisor. He only charged me 69.95 for the Service B (which is what they normally charge) and even plugged my front right tire. I waited for the car and it was done in no time. It was great! Definitely would recommend CA to anyone in the central frorida area. The treated you good too as compared to another dealership.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:14 PM
'05 Lakeshore RL

Service B Costs

Hi there,
I'm new in this forum. Purchased an '05 RL in Dec, now is due for its 1st B service. I live in San Jose, CA.

Questions:
1. Can I take it to an independent mechanic? any recommendation?
2. Which Acura dealer is good & not over charge in bay area?

Sunnyvale & Los Gatos Acura both charged for $159 + 179 optional service, Autowest Stevs Crk charged for $149 & didn't offer the optional service.

Thanks
Erwin
Old 05-11-2007, 03:43 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
New owner here.....

I searched on oil change trying to find out weights and amounts and got pulled into this thread.

While I agree the numbers (prices) in the upper range ~180 seem very high. But let me try this a different way. I'm assumming a few things here. A filter is probably somewhere around 10 bucks. The Mobil filters I picked up this weekend were that much. And a quart or synthetic oil is 5 - 6 bucks and I"m guessing it's gonna take 6 quarts. I'll research before I start the change. So let's just say the filter and oil is gonna cost you 40 - 50 bucks. I'm thinking it would take an hour for a mechanic to go out to the parking lot to get your car, put it on the lift, drain all the oil and then refill as required and then get your car off the lift and then out into the parking lot. Ok, an hour is generous but you get my drift. What's an hour go for at a dealer?????

So, those of you that are quoting $29 are getting a very good deal. $125ish is probably in the ballpark.....

Now, who changes their own oil????

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-11-2007, 04:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
This is nothing more then a glorified oil change. I refuse to pay upwards to $200 for visual inspections. What are they going to do, void your warranty? LOL

Quick Reply: 1st 2005 RL Service -Type B Cost