18" Wheel option - finally...well....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 02:47 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
18" Wheel option - finally...well....

OK - good news and bad news on a great 18" wheel option (and, if anyone can tell me how to post a photo here I will put one up):

Good part: I found ROH Adrenaline wheels - made in Australia - they look awesome! I had put on another set (can't remember the name now for some reason), but had quality issues as well as design issues. The center of these wheels were still 'open' too close to the center of the hub so you could see the rust on the hub. These newer ROH have a center that just about perfectly matches the center hub of front and back.

If anyone is interested (in LA) I recommend going to American Tire Co. on Torrance blvd about 1/4 mi west of Western. They are really nice there and back-up all of their work (in writing and for real). See Kevin (the head manager) and tell him 'Dave the soap king with the RL sent me' and for sure he'll remember me.

Anyway - back to the bad news. The new wheels can't take the air pressure monitors so I don't have them anymore. On top of that, there is, so far as I know to-date, no way to turn off the feature, so every once in a while the center multi-function display comes on telling me to check the TPMS system. And, in addition, the 'flat' idiot light stays on constantly. I am hoping/waiting to hear back from Acura with a solution, but I can't imagine I'm the only one to put on aftermarket wheels without being able to re-instal the sensors....?????

Anyone?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? Thanks....
Old 03-13-2005, 07:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by soapkng
Anyway - back to the bad news. The new wheels can't take the air pressure monitors so I don't have them anymore.
Why didn't the air pressure monitors not fit on these ROH's? Also, what tires did you get and how do you like the overall ride?
Old 03-13-2005, 01:00 PM
Racer

Regarding you being the only one to put on aftermarket rims and have the tire sensor problem, I think that there are quite a number of RL owners waiting to get decent fitment information from the wheel dealers. The TireRack has said they are about to do this work, but we're still waiting......

Pete
Old 03-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by SoCalCarDude
Why didn't the air pressure monitors not fit on these ROH's? Also, what tires did you get and how do you like the overall ride?
It depends on the sensor but typically the wheel needs to have some type of boss on which to mount the sensor. If the wheel wasn't engineered with that there may not be any way to affix the sensor. For example on my '99 'vette the sensors are bolted into a boss on the inside of the wheel. While most aftermarket wheels for the 'vette today support TPM sensor mounting it wasn't always the case. As new as the '05 RL is and as different as the wheels are - coupled with the low volume car that it is - there's an understandable ramp-up time for the aftermarket suppliers to deliver 'plug compatible' options.

My ideal would have been to be able to buy the car from the dealer with the very attractive 18" wheels WITH high-perf tires as a factory option and a dealer option for cheap 17" (or 16" if they clear) STEEL wheels for mounting snows.

Since I already have the car I'm just waiting to see what Tire Rack comes out with for snows. Good thing I have a big basement and an understanding wife as I currently have 3 complete sets of wheels/tires for my 'vette, so one more set for the RL shouldn't be a problem.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:29 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by soapkng
OK - good news and bad news on a great 18" wheel option (and, if anyone can tell me how to post a photo here I will put one up):
One way to post your pics is to create a profile on www.cardomain.org and then upload your pics there and then create a link to it from here.

Looking forward to seeing your wheels!
Old 03-14-2005, 11:24 PM
Advanced

My tire pressure monitors are 2-3 PSI off on a good day, judged by measurements with two very good digital gauges of different makes. If it's big wheels you want, have the tire vendor toss in a good digital gizmo. You'll be OK.