'09 RL: improvements compared to '06 RL

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2010, 07:26 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'09 RL: improvements compared to '06 RL

Last week traded an '06 RL with 42kmiles for a '10 TL sh-awd with 6 speed manual transmission. As luck would have it, the new car has a transmission problem (see my "transmission pops out of 1st and 3rd" thread in the 4gen TL technical fixes category). The dealer is attending to the problem and has given me an 09 RL as a loaner, which I have been driving for the last two days. This gave me an opportunity to compare this car with our 06, as well as with the new TL. Here are my (very) subjective impressions:

'09 RL vs. 06 RL:
- enormous improvement to the automatic transmission logic: in D the significant hesitation indownshifting that I was experiencing on our car upon kickdown is greatly reduced. The S mode is even better, it holds the gear much longer and the downshift is smoother. This must be primarily software, I wonder if it could be flashed to upgrade older RLs.
- more wood on console: nice.
- Front seats cooled as well as heated: nice.
- Weather forecast: very nice.
- Steering wheel partially wood: very nice.

'09 RL vs. '10 TL awd stick shift:
- Engine/road noise: clear advantage RL
- Cabin/dash appearance: advantage RL, though the TL is close.
- Ergonomics: advantage TL (especially navigating in/out of info, messages, map). Also, navi screen is much more recessed, which greatly enahnces visibility especially in daylight.
- Suspension: RL is much softer, TL much firmer and rolls a lot less on cornering. This is a matter of preference: if you prefer smooth and isolated from the road the RL is your car. If you go for sport and like to feel the road, the TL is your car. I prefer the TL.
- Steering: ditto. The TL's is more direct, more responsive, although the RL's is also quite precise for a luxury car and thankfully devoid of the vagueness and over-assistance of many other cars.
- Tech package: clear advantage TL: much better rear view camera, better integration of weather, othr functions in navigation, more logical keyless start with button and keypod receptacle in dash.
- Interior room and trunk space: draw.
Bottom line: both are great cars, they fulfill very well somewhat different missions. In the area of technology, however, the TL clearly belongs to a new generation: amazing how fast tech evolves!
Old 01-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Safety Car

Received 38 Likes on 29 Posts
Great review, thanks!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:09 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
Great double review, thanks!
Old 01-12-2010, 09:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 719 Likes on 201 Posts
not bad, but don't forget:

ugliness factor: '10 TL wins!

Old 01-12-2010, 10:29 PM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
i'd be very interested to know if the 06 RLs can have some sort of transmission software reflash to gain those benefits you observed....

is it possible to upgrade the software of an 06 to something more current or are we stuck with what we have?
Old 01-13-2010, 03:05 PM
Safety Car

I think that is called planned obsolescence. Gotta get the upgraded model....beak included!
Old 01-13-2010, 05:41 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife's 2010 RDX has the enhanced transmission, which is sweet. On demand paddle shifting (no need to move the stick into s) and returning to auto is real nice. I really miss that in my RL. The S mode is great too, either as an aggressive auto or as a mean for lasting manual control. Anyway, that's probably what I miss most in my RL vs a 09+, though my wife would argue for the ventilated seats.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by 23109VC
i'd be very interested to know if the 06 RLs can have some sort of transmission software reflash to gain those benefits you observed....

is it possible to upgrade the software of an 06 to something more current or are we stuck with what we have?
I plan to check with the service manager at my dealer shortly. Over the weekend I will also check the transmission section of the 06 RL service manual, which I still have. If I find anything I will post.
Old 01-13-2010, 06:58 PM
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Motorista
I plan to check with the service manager at my dealer shortly. Over the weekend I will also check the transmission section of the 06 RL service manual, which I still have. If I find anything I will post.
That would be great to know.

JDM Legends had the straight gate, much the same looking as the 09-10 RL

You wonder if you have to get the straight gate shifter in conjunction with the software upgrade.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:51 AM
.... .... .... ... ....

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Originally Posted by synth19
not bad, but don't forget:

ugliness factor: '10 TL wins!

Old 01-14-2010, 03:58 PM
Drifting

Received 218 Likes on 174 Posts
Originally Posted by Chas2
That would be great to know.

JDM Legends had the straight gate, much the same looking as the 09-10 RL

You wonder if you have to get the straight gate shifter in conjunction with the software upgrade.
The report from my service manager is that my computer, and I assume all 2006 vintage computers, is not able to accept the flash upgrade. If anyone finds out otherwise, please let me know. I would love to have it done if it can be.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:07 PM
LIST/RAMEN/WING MAHSTA 짱

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Nice comparison!
Old 01-15-2010, 10:47 PM
8th Gear

I accomodate the slow transmission by flooring it a second sooner than I need to. Just think of it as turbo lag. I do hate the way that the auto up shifts just when the vtec kicks in at the top of the rpm range though.

And I hate how slow the paddle shifters are to actually shift up/down - you have to lead them too.

I'd say the tranny is easily the most disappointing part of this car.
Old 01-17-2010, 02:13 PM
Proboscis-free zone

Thanks to Motorista for the multi-comparison. I drove a 2009 TL recently as a service loaner. Taut, quick, very nicely equipped...and butt-ugly. The dealer says they are slow sellers. A shame that such a potentially great car got hit so hard with the ugly stick by Acura's clueless designers. Hopefully they will learn. Or not.

I will NOT succumb to the beak.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:45 PM
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i agree, i dont like the newer TLs (3 & 4 G). I also think they are ugly. (i thought it was just me). Im already looking into my future car ( 3 months after buyingan 02 tl-s) and the 05+ RL is the car for me. They simply look great compared to TLs. good write i cant wait to upgrade one of these years.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:32 PM
Advanced

I agree with you Vodoc. I just handed in my loaner 09 RL today after one week and almost 700 miles, including about 400 over mountain roads in Maine: the car was very quiet and comfortable, and the performance subjectively a tad better than our old 2006 RL, probably due to the changed transmission software (and much quicker down- and up- shifts). The aesthetics, on the other hand.....
I'm still exploring the feasibility of flashing updated software to an 05 or 06, through the Service Director at my dealership. '09 or '10 software is almost certainly impossible to flash because the car would send the transmission id to the computer and thereby abort the download (transmission ID mismatch). However, the '05-'08 was also sold in Europe (as a Honda Legend) and especially in Germany: it is not unusual for the European or German version of a car to have different software, typically speeding up up- and donw-shifts and raising the oil pressure a bit. I encountered a similar issue a couple of years ago on my Volkswagen Phaeton, and, upon recommendation of the assembly plant in Dresden, we flashed the European spec software and changed fluid with the Euro spec. The outcome was impressive: much crisper shifts, and almost no hesitation. So, I will keep you all posted as soon as I hear something.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:43 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
I encountered a similar issue a couple of years ago on my Volkswagen Phaeton, and, upon recommendation of the assembly plant in Dresden, we flashed the European spec software and changed fluid with the Euro spec. The outcome was impressive: much crisper shifts, and almost no hesitation. So, I will keep you all posted as soon as I hear something.
You are obviously a man who appreciates a car for what it is....and not what others expect it to be. I have always admired the PHAETON, and similarly the A8. It makes sense you appreciate the RL.

FYI, European & Russian LEGENDS do have different tranny logic and shift points. I have no idea how to go about obtaining that software.

*Back home in Florida....land of dead foliage*
Old 01-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by VOdoc
Thanks to Motorista for the multi-comparison. I drove a 2009 TL recently as a service loaner. Taut, quick, very nicely equipped...and butt-ugly. The dealer says they are slow sellers. A shame that such a potentially great car got hit so hard with the ugly stick by Acura's clueless designers. Hopefully they will learn. Or not.

I will NOT succumb to the beak.

I also just got out of an 09 tl loaner and at first it was fun and sporty, tight accurate steering. then i realized the ride quality was way too stiff and harsh, harsher then my previous 06 tl. I couldnt wait to get back in my rl.

oh and yes it was still ugly, i almost felt embarassed driving it.
Old 01-22-2010, 12:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by TampaRL

FYI, European & Russian LEGENDS do have different tranny logic and shift points. I have no idea how to go about obtaining that software.
[/B]
...I wonder why this is the case? Different target market?
Old 01-22-2010, 01:05 PM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Originally Posted by JPSMAN
...I wonder why this is the case? Different target market?
I would assume so. Most of Europe is congested small roads and do not have the long cruising roads and highways we have (not that I can ever find them). So I assume the tranny logic is tuned for more urban style driving. Just a guess. I do not recall EPA style economy ratings, but my guess is they are tuned not so much for high end mileage on the highway as to suffer less in the lower end city type driving. Maybe something like 20/24 instead of the 18/26 ratings for the 05-08 MY. In Europe consumers are more focused on the low end efficiency (worse case) numbers whereas in the USA they market and push the high end (best case) efficiency numbers. Tranny logic is tuned accordingly to deliver those results. This may be why the RL has such a broad range of fuel efficiency stats.

Also, European & Russian LEGENDS have different tires, I believe Yokohamas which are a model and size we do not have in the USA. Go figure.

And if I am not mistaken, European and Russian LEGENDs have a stiffer tuned suspension and a rear stabilizer bar (pre 2009). Throw in a standard trunk spoiler and it appears Honda was catering to a different audience.

That's my story and I am sticking to it.