06 vs 07 RL

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 06:29 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 vs 07 RL

I'm struggling over an 06 or 07 RL from the same Acura dealer. Here are the cars:
-06, 40k miles, meteor silver metallic (aka light blue) on ebony -- has some hood chips and minor scrapes (can only see on close inspection), interior is clean but some knobs like the light switch are a little worn, no mods -- $24k
-07, 7k miles, platinum frost metallic (aka silver) on taupe -- creampuff, has 18" wheels, tech package -- $32.7

These prices are inline with KBB.

I will be driving about 30 miles round trip daily in the city (rough roads, many stop lights), taking my 2 kids to school in the morning (ages 4,7). With no garage, I will be parking in the driveway

Both are CPO and Acuracare is offered for $1000 over prices listed above.

With Tax/title/financing it's about $175/month difference in price. Any thoughts?
Old 08-13-2009, 08:43 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 4,614 Likes on 2,193 Posts
I'd do the 2006. You can buy 18" wheels for the 2006 and still be well under the $32.7k for the 2007.

If you want the newer ride with very few miles, get the 2007.

You can't go wrong either way.
Old 08-13-2009, 09:23 PM
Instructor

It all depends what are your preferences. I would go with the newer model but that's just me. The other hand the lighter interior is more noticeable with dirt than darker ones. I have 2006 RL CPO with the taupe interior and I have a 4 year old who ocassionally spills stuff but not much. At least the leather is easier to clean than cloth seats.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:00 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I would continue to search. The 2006 is ok but I don't care for that color. If your spending money like this you should be getting everything you want. Sounds like you prefer the 2007 but not the price. I think additional searching will yield even a better deal. At least another 2006 for the same money but better condition and a different color. You may have to drive a few hundred miles to get the dream car.
Old 08-13-2009, 11:42 PM
Advanced

Great points.

There's another 06 with same mileage that just came up yesterday in my area. They're asking way too much (28.8), but I want to see the condition - who knows what they'll really offer too. I don't know how common chips on the hood are. The 06 that I'm considering had about 3 or 4. They weren't too easy to see, but I could feel the indentation when I rubbed my finger over them. The detailer at the dealer said they had been pinned (?), so there wasn't much he could do (he had done some nice work buffing out two other scratches that I saw earlier in the day). As to the color, meteor silver metallic is fine - but there's no wow!

I really like the 07, but as you surmised I'm choking on the price. I can wait another week or two at the most before committing. Eyes wide open!
Old 08-14-2009, 12:58 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

Received 1,806 Likes on 793 Posts
Hood chips are inevitable unless you have the clear bra and or never drive it.

At least those colors are good to hoide those type of blemishes.

Minor details... 06 has ONSTAR, not on 07. 06 backup cam was dealer installed, center mount and removes the trunk release lever and replaces with a touch 'nipple'. 07 cam is off center mount and has original trunk release lever above rear tag.

Don't recall, but I don't think 07 yet had the AUX jack for ipod and also releied on an aftermarket connection?
Old 08-14-2009, 01:09 AM
9th Gear

Smile

Originally Posted by TampaRL
Don't recall, but I don't think 07 yet had the AUX jack for ipod and also releied on an aftermarket connection?
actually 07 does have aux jack.
Old 08-14-2009, 08:51 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
you are in northern CA - I just bought an 06 in So cal. My 2006 had 29k miles, carbon gray on ebony. it is 100% immaculate inside and out. i looked at several so cal dealers and saw many that were "nice" but had minor cosmetic issues here/there andI even saw a couple that honestly I thought were *really* poor in that they had numerous problems - scratches, gouges, dings/dents....

you have to look a while to find a nice one, especially in a car as uncommon a the RL.

I ended up paying $26,500 for my 2006 which I think was a fair deal...they were asking something liike 28k...I got them down to 26,500. maybe ic ould hav gotten them to do lower.... i felt like my price was fair.

my car has the stock 17s. it did have the mudgaurds and a trunk tray...smalll stuff..nothing $$... ia dded a spoiler and tinted it. makes a huge difference in how it looks.

don't compromise on color. I really wanted the black interior...i didn't want the taupe or parchment as they show dirt much easier, and Ij ust preferred the black. i'm glad I got the color I did. I'd be unhappynow had I settled...and bought a car with the wrong color.

just be patient.

my car was CPO at a dealer,a nd like yo, i paid 950 more to get the wrap warranty. i felt thqat was a good deal.

i'd pass on an 05, and look for an 06 with low miles. when I was looking, the 07 sall were over 30k, and the 05 swere all in the low to mid 20s,a nd 06s were the best "bang for the buck" in terms of finding one with low miles, burt still keeping the price at or near about 25k for a clean CPO car. you just have to look hard.

when I was looking eld grove Acura, up near you, had a white 07 on ebony. it looked flawless and i LOVED that color combo. very very hard to find. they still have it? i haven't looked on cars.com/autotrader lately... i bought my car only a few weeks ago....

while these cars are fairly rare, and not super popular with the masses - i do think that there are enough people out ther who have realized what a great car it is for the money, thaty they do not sitg on teh dealership forever - fi they are clean and priced right.

there aren't a lot out there so people will drive a ways to find these cars.

good luck!
Old 08-14-2009, 09:31 AM
Advanced

I'm of the same mind as you 23109VC - your vehicle is exactly what I'm interested in (clean 06 with lower miles). Clearly it would be more convenient to find a car that is local though. I drove 80 miles to look at the 06/07 combo. So that took most of a day with lunch in the middle (was on my motorcycle in the blazing central cal heat). There are two more 06s for me to check out - one is only 30 miles away the other 80.
That 07 you mentioned is still here, but in the mid 30s.
Old 08-14-2009, 04:34 PM
Advanced

Update - just checked out an 06', blue on taupe also with 40k miles. The condition was about the same as the 06, meteor metallic on ebony -- but you could really tell where the chips were on the blue one. Once again proving that lighter colored cars tend to hide imperfections better. I didn't get into the price negotiation dance.

Tomorrow I'm going to check out an 06 Carbon Grey on ebony with 21k miles. Wish me luck!
Old 08-15-2009, 03:26 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

I love my OBP / Taupe color combo...rare to see them. But you are correct CDR A, it reveals every blemish as would NBP. I have some Dr. Colorchip awaiting me when I return from Europe (ad Chas' advice ). Hopefully it will do a better job of hiding the chips than globbing on touch up paint, which I have tried and failed.

I'll tell you about the sub I got to tour on the Neva when I get back. I am a little worried, however, I may glow at night.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Advanced

Got one!

Finally found the clean one I was looking for! It's an 06 with 22k miles.

https://acurazine.com/forums/members/cdr-a-249376-albums-alameda-rl-3667/

I'll post the details on the new member sign-in page.

Yipee!
Old 08-16-2009, 10:20 PM
2017 TLX AWD Adv FBP/EB

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by CDR A
Finally found the clean one I was looking for! It's an 06 with 22k miles.

https://acurazine.com/forums/album.php?albumid=3667

I'll post the details on the new member sign-in page.

Yipee!
Gorgeous! Love that carbon gray.
Old 08-19-2009, 05:54 AM
Torch & Pitchfork Posse

It's about time!
\

Plan to spend the next few weeks thinking of reasons to go into the garage and admire it. Plan to spends hours arranging your drivers settings and presets, learning the NAVI, practicing the Voice Recognition, noticing the flush fit windows and tight panel gaps. Then there are the small details....the solid thunk of the doors, the use of materials and fit. And for me, I admire how every detail seems to have been thought out, rethought and refined.

Yep...I miss my car!
Old 08-19-2009, 09:15 AM
Drifting

Received 103 Likes on 79 Posts
hey you bought my car! ha ha ha.

seriously, we have almost the same car. my 2006 is carbon gray on pearl. 29k miles.

what did you pay? if you don't mindme asking...

CPO?

tint it - it will look TONS better! I also added the spoiler to mine shortly after buying it and feel it was a good value. it looks really nice. you can get the spoiler online for about $275-280 and install is 150-200 at a dealer. so figure 500ish to get it and have it put on. it makes the car look a lot sportier.

you will really enjoy they car. i find that every day I like it more and more.
Old 08-19-2009, 10:21 PM
Advanced

^^ I told you that I agreed with you - so of course I bought your car. I paid 27K plus 950 for Acuracare. I think the dealer paid 25k and spent about 1k - even if I could have gotten a better deal, I got to where I needed to be.

For options, it already has the backup camera, which I wanted. I really want to get the 18" alloy wheels one day -- maybe when I need new tires. The spoiler doesn't do much for me. Maybe it will later. Since I don't have a garage, I decided to get the Acura car cover. lstevennl has an extra cover that he's selling me -- thanks!

Tint -- not too much sun the in Bay Area. Maybe the back windows.

I do want to get the 3M film on the nose -- what's the scoop, anyone?

TampaRL -- watch out for the rocket propellant in those subs... I've been reading the 08 RL Owners manual that was posted online (easy to read off the laptop while surfing tv at night). Been having mild issues -- like why won't the steering wheel settings save with the seat setting? My phone works but when I tell it to call, it doesn't so I hit the call button, then it says dialing but doesn't. The third or fourth time it does call (iphone).

Another newbie question - what is the value, if any, of the "my acura" site? It looks like I have to manually enter anything in there that would be of any help (service record, eg.).

Loving it so far!
Old 08-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^My Acura site is extremely valuable for the following reasons.

1) You can look up any part to the RL and it will give you the dealership retail price.

2) It shows you 3 dimensional views to help you locate the part you are needing.

3) You can zoom in on these drawings and actually use them to figure out how all those parts go back together again.

I use it quite often to check prices and as an assembly aid.