05 rl total malfunction need help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2014, 08:58 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 rl total malfunction need help!!!

So I was driving yesterday and all of a sudden I noticed the needle on my speedometer is jumping back and forth form 0mph to my current speed. Then it gave out and stayed at zero. Then every single light appears on my Dash.

Check Transmission, AFS, VSA, Power Steering, SH-AWD. I mean everything you can think off.

Then I noticed my D light kept blinking and my car would not shift over last 3rd gear. I pulled over disconnect the battery and try to reset the car. Did not work. As soon as I drive again it same thing happened.

So, I'm really worried about my transmission at this point since it couldn't shift past 3rd. Fluid is good on it. I had to limp it all the way home from Fort Dix to North Jersey.

Wishful thinking from reading other posts is it's because of my Acura Battery that was replaced almost 2 years ago. However I never read or seen any symptoms displaying transmission problems like mine (D kept blinking and not shift past 3rd gear). I do have extra electronics in the car to maybe cause this extra strain on battery, I'm not sure. I have a hardwired Valentine One with Savy & Conceal Display, Roadhawk HD dash Cam, and Phillips LED DRL kit (sits perfect under the foglight)

So what do you guys think the problem is? I was planning to buy one of those Optima yellow top and call it a day
Old 06-17-2014, 10:09 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
My speedometer did the same thing (and the blinking "D3") in Legend #1 for years. The transmission mounts gave up and some sensors were damaged. New mounts and a new speed sensor (may be different in the 2G RL) and I never experienced another transmission issue. You will likely need a highly experienced independent Honda mechanic or a dealer.

Good luck. Paging sOLLEx.

Last edited by oo7spy; 06-17-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 10:15 AM
Drifting

Received 591 Likes on 427 Posts
Personally, I would just take it to Acura and pay the $89 to have them diagnose it. If it is the battery, don't get an Optima. My car ate two RedTops. Just get the Acura 100 month warrantied battery.
Old 06-17-2014, 05:40 PM
4th Gear

So I just changed the battery out hoping it would fix it. It drove great for a bit but then I got the Christmas Tree again. D keeps blinking and same outcome and speedometer does not work. I have to assume its a speed sensor at this point
Old 06-17-2014, 06:37 PM
4th Gear

Ok... So I just plugged in an OBD2 reader and it said "P0722 Output shaft speed sensore cirucuit no signal."

Now that problems make a lot more sense. However i still dont know why all the other lights are coming on AFS, VSA, Power Steering. Has anyone ever had issues like this?!?!
Old 06-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 7,249 Likes on 4,859 Posts
Almost all of these systems require the speed of the car for calculations. Get your tranny/speed sensor squared away, discharge the car, and start from there. I bet everything goes away after that.
The following users liked this post:
projektvertx (06-18-2014)
Old 06-18-2014, 07:42 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by NJToany
Ok... So I just plugged in an OBD2 reader and it said "P0722 Output shaft speed sensore cirucuit no signal."

Now that problems make a lot more sense. However i still dont know why all the other lights are coming on AFS, VSA, Power Steering. Has anyone ever had issues like this?!?!
This probably won't help, but I do wish you luck. I had the same Christmas tree effect after I hit a baby deer...it plunked the driver's side hood and destroyed the driver's headlight. It also pushed back the radiator and leaked.

A short time after the damage, the everything went all Christmas tree.

Here's the point: Damage to the sensor's can make that ECM freaky. oo7spy is right...get those sensors fixed and go from there.