$42600 a good deal today? 6/4/06

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006 | 09:50 PM
I stick sick people

$42600 a good deal today? 6/4/06

Went to the dealer today. The service mgr confirmed the tech package has a different lug nut pattern and can not swap out a flat tire, only to bring it in to pay $400 for a new tire/wheel set.

They didn't have the color combo I wanted in tech, which the internet offered $47K so they said $42600 for the non-tech. Is that a good deal? He says he can't put it in writing for me but will honor it verbally. He says he'll give me $2000 of the manufacturer to dealer rebate and he'll take $1000.

Oh yeah, I checked out next door at the Lexus and the GS hybrid takes up half of the trunk space when compared to the regular GS.

So is it worth it? Should I jump on it?

A
Old 06-05-2006 | 10:02 PM
Instructor

If you live in a competative market (L.A., S.F., Chicago, etc.), you can pick up an RL for $41,000. Possibly $40,500 if the dealer is truly desperate to empty his lot. But $41,000 is a very fair deal and very 'do-able'.

If you uump on it, heavily consider leasing if the numbers work for you. The resale value on an RL 4..5..6+ years ahead doesn't look promising.
Old 06-06-2006 | 04:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tully44
. . . . . . The resale value on an RL 4..5..6+ years ahead doesn't look promising.
I agree . . . . , however, the resale value has less to do with the model of car you have than with the condition it is in at the time of resale. I sold my 2000RL for a heck of a lot more than the payoff on my lease was at the time with many more miles than the lease allowed - the 2000 RL was not only not popular or liked by people but it was languishing on dealers lots when new.

Also, what good does it do to have a great resale value on a Lexus/BMW/MBZ (fill the blank) if you pay through the nose to purchase the car in the first place? A new '06 RL for 42K is a bargain, no . . a giveaway!! when you compare it to a Lexus IS250 or IS350 at 42K to 50K and some. Have you looked at the interior of a BMW lately? Or a Mercedes C or E class? Their interiors are looking GM quality or less . . if that's possible.
Same goes for the paint - lots of orange peel and just plain cheap looking.

My advice: Buy the RL and forget about it not selling or a possible bad resale value. In the end it does not matter, if the reason for buying the car is your pure enjoyment.
Old 06-06-2006 | 05:10 PM
AcurAdmirer

Originally Posted by 1HOT NSX
I agree . . . . , however, the resale value has less to do with the model of car you have than with the condition it is in at the time of resale. I sold my 2000RL for a heck of a lot more than the payoff on my lease was at the time with many more miles than the lease allowed - the 2000 RL was not only not popular or liked by people but it was languishing on dealers lots when new.

Also, what good does it do to have a great resale value on a Lexus/BMW/MBZ (fill the blank) if you pay through the nose to purchase the car in the first place? A new '06 RL for 42K is a bargain, no . . a giveaway!! when you compare it to a Lexus IS250 or IS350 at 42K to 50K and some. Have you looked at the interior of a BMW lately? Or a Mercedes C or E class? Their interiors are looking GM quality or less . . if that's possible.
Same goes for the paint - lots of orange peel and just plain cheap looking.

My advice: Buy the RL and forget about it not selling or a possible bad resale value. In the end it does not matter, if the reason for buying the car is your pure enjoyment.
I think you're missing the point. On a lease, resale value - expressed as the residual - is hugely a function of the car model, and each model of car has its own residual calculated (and recalculated over time) for it.

Dealers/mfr's would be nuts to base a lease on anything but ultimate (predicted) resale value, since the car will sooner or later be theirs again and they have to get their money back out of it. And since the RL's resale isn't stellar right now, the residuals are reflecting that.

As for purchasing, resale value is likewise a big issue, since most of us won't die before selling or trading our cars. It's almost a given you will be "upside down" on trade value on any car you purchase, but some cars - with low resale value - will really kill you. I bought a brand-new Cadillac a few years ago and it lost over 50% of its value in less than a year. Dealers just shook their heads and said "Poor resale value."

You obviously were lucky with your old RL, but it's widely known the new RL has punk sales and low resale. Anyone going into a sale or lease not factoring that in is going to get creamed.
Old 06-06-2006 | 05:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike_TX
I think you're missing the point. On a lease, resale value - expressed as the residual - is hugely a function of the car model, and each model of car has its own residual calculated (and recalculated over time) for it.

Dealers/mfr's would be nuts to base a lease on anything but ultimate (predicted) resale value, since the car will sooner or later be theirs again and they have to get their money back out of it. And since the RL's resale isn't stellar right now, the residuals are reflecting that.

As for purchasing, resale value is likewise a big issue, since most of us won't die before selling or trading our cars. It's almost a given you will be "upside down" on trade value on any car you purchase, but some cars - with low resale value - will really kill you. I bought a brand-new Cadillac a few years ago and it lost over 50% of its value in less than a year. Dealers just shook their heads and said "Poor resale value."

You obviously were lucky with your old RL, but it's widely known the new RL has punk sales and low resale. Anyone going into a sale or lease not factoring that in is going to get creamed.
No Mike, I'm not missing the point. I understand perfectly all the ins and outs of buying vs. leasing, money factors, residuals, etc. Residuals are obviously lower on those cars that will depreciate more, so of course those leases tend to be more expensive. My point was to encourage the original poster to go ahead and purchase the bargain of a car that the new RL is - through a buy, lease or whatever means of financing. In the end, all cars depreciate big time and we all take a bath in the transaction - some of us take a bigger bath than others - like the one you took with the Cadillac but in the end . . . . it's only money.
Old 06-06-2006 | 05:32 PM
Three Wheelin'

Really, for that price, he should buy the RL! That's a great deal for a purchase, if you ask me, especially if ACUpunctuRA intends to keep the car for a long time. If I were him (or her) I would buy the RL at that price, pay it off as soon as humanly possible, and keep it until the wheels fall off.
Old 06-06-2006 | 11:51 PM

The OP's price is reasonable...and like others mentioned, could possibly be lower depending on his market. I wouldn't hesitate to take that price...
Old 06-15-2006 | 12:01 AM
I stick sick people

I'm really itching to purchase one. I don't know what's holding me back. Wife? Maybe. Business slowing, possibly. Should I title it in the company or self and what about the interest rate for financing if done, or do i want to pay it in cash?

I want most of what the A-spec has to offer and other goodies: wood wheel and shifter, front and rear spoilers, ipod adapter, rear camera. Did I forget anything?

Now do I want to go to McGrath Westmont with the 42600 offer or go to see my buddy Robert at Continental Naperville to see if he can do something for me? McGrath is closer to work and home for the time being... Decisions decisions...

Can anyone give some suggestions?

Like Opulent Blue Pearl or Celestial Silver? It's going to be Ebony on the inside, no ands, ifs, or buts. I'm sick of cleaning my taffeta white 98 CL's taupe interior. Should I trade my CL in or have Robert try to sell it or sell it on my own? It's only 95900 mi.

There's also the possibility that I may want the LS600hL when it comes out. Should I wait?
Old 06-19-2006 | 03:28 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ACUpunctuRA
I'm really itching to purchase one. I don't know what's holding me back. Wife? Maybe. Business slowing, possibly. Should I title it in the company or self and what about the interest rate for financing if done, or do i want to pay it in cash?

I want most of what the A-spec has to offer and other goodies: wood wheel and shifter, front and rear spoilers, ipod adapter, rear camera. Did I forget anything?

Now do I want to go to McGrath Westmont with the 42600 offer or go to see my buddy Robert at Continental Naperville to see if he can do something for me? McGrath is closer to work and home for the time being... Decisions decisions...

Like Opulent Blue Pearl or Celestial Silver? It's going to be Ebony on the inside, no ands, ifs, or buts. I'm sick of cleaning my taffeta white 98 CL's taupe interior. Should I trade my CL in or have Robert try to sell it or sell it on my own? It's only 95900 mi.

There's also the possibility that I may want the LS600hL when it comes out. Should I wait?
All your questions and more can be answered by the Magic 8 Ball for $7.99 at Amazon.com:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...#more-pictures

Old 06-26-2006 | 06:07 PM
Instructor

I bought in May of 2005 from McGrath of Westmont, for 44,100 including the 3M ClearBra on almost all of the front end (half-way up the hood) and the rear bumper. I told Continental of Naperville the day before that I had a price of $44,100, and if they met it or beat it, they would have my business. They wouldn't budge off sticker! They called me a week later and wanted to know if I was still interested in the car, and when I told them I already purchased it, they were shocked, and demanded to know who I bought it from. I wouldn't tell them.

Randy
Old 06-26-2006 | 06:30 PM
Racer

Went to the dealer today. The service mgr confirmed the tech package has a different lug nut pattern and can not swap out a flat tire, only to bring it in to pay $400 for a new tire/wheel set.

They didn't have the color combo I wanted in tech, which the internet offered $47K so they said $42600 for the non-tech. Is that a good deal? He says he can't put it in writing for me but will honor it verbally. He says he'll give me $2000 of the manufacturer to dealer rebate and he'll take $1000.

Oh yeah, I checked out next door at the Lexus and the GS hybrid takes up half of the trunk space when compared to the regular GS.

So is it worth it? Should I jump on it?

A
IMOP you should get the FULL(3K) mfg to dealer money!
Old 06-26-2006 | 07:19 PM
2012 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe

Depending on where you live, you might want to try Acura of Libertyville. Specifically Steve Hoffman. That's who I worked with when I bought mine.
Old 06-26-2006 | 08:04 PM
Cruisin'

You should absolutely get the full amount of the $3000 dealer incentive. I signed a deal Saturday on my blk on blk RL Tech for 44879! You should also opt for the Tech over the color (if can just can't wait to get what you want). The value is unprecedented in this 'made in Japan' luxury auto at a STEAL. And by the way, your initial savings now more than compensate for any diminished residual. I'm with others: "purchase the car and keep it". It's nice to finally find a situation in favor of the consumer and this is a WIN/WIN. Jump on it now and get the most value by opting for the Tech Pkg.
Old 06-26-2006 | 09:06 PM
I stick sick people

I just called my buddy Robert at Continental and he is going to work on Nick the Sales Mgr to get me a Celestial Silver on Ebony for all $3000 rebate which he punched out to be 41522. With the 2.9% for 36 mos it looks pretty sweet. I'll probably pay it off at the end of the year. Need to call accountant...

Bad news, Continental doesn't have a Celestial Silver on Ebony. Though he states he can get one.

Now he says he can't give me any deal on accessories because it is fixed for everybody, showed me the list, and said to ask the parts dept and the svc dept separately and see what the numbers really come out to. I'm all for my co. paying for everything at once, but don't want to get taken. But I'm sure Robert will be fair with me. Goodies I'm looking for now include front, rear and trunk lip, backup camera, wood steering wheel and shifter, scratch the ipod... what else? The side skirts don't look like it enhances the sides very much for the money...

He also said that next year's TL will have SH-AWD. I haven't looked into this. Hmm. I'm still set on the RL, although I like the styling of the TL much better.

I'm jumping with both feet!
Old 06-27-2006 | 12:49 AM
Instructor

Now he says he can't give me any deal on accessories because it is fixed for everybody, showed me the list, and said to ask the parts dept and the svc dept separately and see what the numbers really come out to.
Frankly I don't believe him [Robert]. No matter how good a friend he is, unless the service and parts departments are owned by someone else, everything falls under the general manager who can make any deal he/she wants. The "you have to ask them [svc/shop] about pricing" is just another cog in the profit wheel. you can go to Ebay and find the going discount price for each accessory and know that every Acura shop pays less than that amount. And installation is NOT done by some guy who is making $50 per hour so paying $80 to $120 per hour of shop time to install stuff is crazy. Add up what you want in accessories, figure a fair price for the labor to install and then go to Robert and tell him what you'll pay. If he still says no, then have him make the journey to sales manager and then general manager. I'll bet the GM says yes.

Just my but you tell sales staff what you'll pay, not ask them. It's still your money.

And jumping on the RL bandwagon is a GOOD thing, both feet and all.
Ben
Old 06-27-2006 | 12:57 AM
Instructor

He also said that next year's TL will have SH-AWD. I haven't looked into this. Hmm. I'm still set on the RL, although I like the styling of the TL much better.
According to Temple of VTec the SH-AWD won't show up until 2008 (not the model year but the actual year) on the TL and that TL will have styling changes. You might ask Robert where he gets his info and how valid any of it is.

Ben
Old 06-27-2006 | 11:55 AM
Burning Brakes

Got my '06 for $40,000 on the lease program. Could have purchased for same amount. Go with the lease.
Old 06-27-2006 | 09:55 PM
8th Gear

Good price?

Rexorg, What state are you located in?
I hope to do my haggling this weekend.
I have been torn between the RL and the BMW 530i, but my 2001CL-S has 94K on it and if I am trading, it probably will not be a better time.
Old 06-29-2006 | 01:07 AM
I stick sick people

Talking

It is finished. My first company car! $ 41522 base plus goodies mentioned plus tax title(free) plus a free set of all season mats! = $48K $3000 for tax! Financed at 2.9% with 0 Down =< $1400. I'll keep it for a while.

Celestial Silver on Ebony. Now I need a clearbra and tint. Any recommendations in DuPage County, IL? Prices? Thx.

A.