Tire Pressure

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 06:03 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Tire Pressure

Does anyone know what the recommended tire pressure amount is?

Thanks!
Old 11-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Recommended tire pressure is printed on the door frame sticker. And it's in your Owner's Manual. That # is: 33 lbs, front and rear, read when tires are COLD. Also, remember that tire gauges are calibrated at sea level. I'm at 6,200 feet and have to add approx. 3.5 lbs reading to what I want in the tires. So, if I want 32 lbs my gauge has to read 35.5 lbs. I cheat a little on that. I've been putting in 34-35 to have an altitude adjusted 31-32. I know...a little less than what Acura says. Generally I try to stay at 32 lbs cold reading.
The following users liked this post:
mbm0420 (11-05-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 03:53 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Recommended tire pressure is printed on the door frame sticker. And it's in your Owner's Manual. That # is: 33 lbs, front and rear, read when tires are COLD. Also, remember that tire gauges are calibrated at sea level. I'm at 6,200 feet and have to add approx. 3.5 lbs reading to what I want in the tires. So, if I want 32 lbs my gauge has to read 35.5 lbs. I cheat a little on that. I've been putting in 34-35 to have an altitude adjusted 31-32. I know...a little less than what Acura says. Generally I try to stay at 32 lbs cold reading.
Hi CO guy AF Ret, I'm another old AF guy. I think you've made an error in your analysis here - but then again, I may be wrong, so, I welcome your thoughts. Here's the way I understand things:

A tire pressure guage shows the difference between the pressure inside the tire and the outside/ambient air pressure. Note that a tire gauge on the stem of a flat would show 'zero' pressure, not the usual 14.7 psi at sea level or 11.7 psi at 6000' MSL.

Consider this: if you inflate your tires to 33 psi at sea level and then drive to 6000', your tire gauge would indeed read 36 psi - but the tires would now be overinflated, with a narrower tread contact pattern, and a stiffer, harsher, more unyielding ride. At 6000', you still want to read 33psi on your tire pressure gauge (assuming you like OEM recommendations), temperatures being equal. So, as we drive to higher altitudes (and the difference between internal tire pressure and ambient pressure increases), we would have to release air from tires, not add more, to maintain tire shape.

Here's a website discussion of this topic: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...jsp?techid=167

With all that said, like you, I prefer a slightly higher tire pressure - maybe 2psi above recommended, cold.

hope this is helpful. Smooth driving,

woody
Old 12-06-2012, 11:09 AM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cold Out

I live just outside of DC and in the am I get the warning that my tires are low. Later in the day after driving on them, they warm up and info warning disappears. Should I fill them up in the am to 33lbs in the am when it is cold? What is the best approach?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,518 Likes on 1,184 Posts
I am also a high altitude RDX driver with my elevation varies between 5000ft-8000ft in ABQ, up to 11,000 feet in Colorado, and sea level when I visit my bro in LA. I've noticed there is a 2-3 psi higher reading on the hand held gauge compared to the TPMS in ABQ (5200 ft average).

I tend to rely on the TPMS to be more accurate and I adjust up on my hand held gauge to "try" to equal the suggested PSI. I usually put in 33-34 in the summer with the hand held gauge because the psi always goes up when the temp is +95 degrees. I usually put in 35-36 in the winter months because of the cold mornings to read 32 psi on the TPMS when below freezing.

I started doing this because I took the kid skiing in Pagosa Springs, CO, a few years ago and the morning temp was about 7 degrees. I had the recommended 32 psi when I left ABQ the day before; but, the TPMS alarm when off with a warning of low tire pressure at 27 psi. It wasn't until lunch time and 40 degrees warmer when the TPMS stop alarming and the TPMS read a normal PSI. No warnings since I started adding the extra 2-3 psi in winter months.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:31 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by stepmback
I live just outside of DC and in the am I get the warning that my tires are low. Later in the day after driving on them, they warm up and info warning disappears. Should I fill them up in the am to 33lbs in the am when it is cold? What is the best approach?
I think it's smart to keep tire pressure between 30 and 35 at all times, to the max extent possible. When it's very cold, a couple additional pounds of pressure won't hurt (34-35 psi at start); and then when it's hot, you might have to let some air out, to get the recommended reading on your tire gauge and TPMS. I sure wouldn't mess with it during the day, but would try to average things out.

PS Low tire pressure is a bigger problem than higher pressure. Tire pressure that's very low creates serious problems with vehicle handling - so, if you're gonna be off, be high.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:23 PM
not an SUV ...a Big Hatch

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts
I had to let air out going into the high desert on a VERY VERY hot day.

...extra pressure and extra heat..
Old 02-21-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Just to keep this on your minds as you bring your vehicles in for the first A1 service, know that some dealers (like mine) add air above the rating plate 33 psi during the cold months. I picked mine up reading 35-37 psi. I called up the dealer and questioned this and the service writer stated that it was intentional to keep the cold temps from setting off the tpms alarms, which is actually code for preventing idiots from calling them all winter about the tpms alarms. I'm annoyed by the practice because it may lead to premature center tread wear. Yes, I'm the dork with a digital gauge that actually checks his pressure regularly.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
AmberB mind sharing the brand & where you picked up the digital tire gauge?
Old 02-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXinNETX
AmberB mind sharing the brand & where you picked up the digital tire gauge?
I'm not Amber; but I got a gauge at Radio Shack?, IIRC. Decent digital gauge, window buster and seat-belt slasher all in one. I'm sure there are cheapies that don't work worth a nickel; but this one seems to be accurate(when compared to the analog reading on the inflator).
Old 02-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Thx for weighing in Coach., got the strap cutter/glass break covered w/ a Benchmade Triage but will take a look @ the RS gauge the next time I'm @ the Shack.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:11 AM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Amazon Amazon

I have this gauge, but I got it as a gift/hand me down. Obviously you can get it from Amazon but I have no idea if the price is competitive.
Old 02-25-2013, 08:37 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by RDXinNETX
Thx for weighing in Coach., got the strap cutter/glass break covered w/ a Benchmade Triage but will take a look @ the RS gauge the next time I'm @ the Shack.
I reckon the Benchmade is a little higher quality...
Sears had their digital gauge at half price for a bit over the weekend(check SlickDeals and maybe set up an alert). Our little multi-tasker is in the door pocket...likely with dead batteries since I haven't checked it in a while.