AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G RDX Tires, Wheels & Suspension (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-tires-wheels-suspension-410/)
-   -   Replacement Tire Recommendations (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-tires-wheels-suspension-410/replacement-tire-recommendations-891136/)

smarty666 07-04-2013 12:42 PM

Replacement Tire Recommendations

Hello, I've had my gripes with the ride quality/road noise on the RDX since getting it. The problems are most severe on secondary/tertiary roads.

I'm at the point, I need to do something to improve the ride quality/road noise and am looking at replacement tires.

Does anyone have recommendation for the best tires I can get (regardless of price) put on the RDX that can give me a smoother/quieter ride, than the OEM Michelin Primacys?

rosen39 07-04-2013 01:30 PM

On my last car, an RX-350, I used Toyo Versado CUV's and they were just as good as a Michelin. I think the dealers give you a 30 day test drive. You can get something else if not satisfied.

http://toyotires.com/tire/pattern/ve...l-season-tires

TLtrigirl 07-04-2013 02:30 PM

i recently had the conti lx20's installed on my MDX ( i know it's not an RDX, but...the ride is probably somwhat similar). quiet, comfortable ride so far. i like them much better over the OEM michelin latitude HP's.

my other choice i would have optioned are the toyo versado CUV tires.

CoachRick 07-04-2013 09:16 PM

We went from Scorpion A/T on the XC60 to the Goodyear ComforTred and absolutely loved the difference in road noise and highway ride. Only put about 10k miles on them before trading, so I can't say if they lived up to their 60k mile rating(actually, I'm looking at some I believe have 70k rating now).

hadokenuh 07-05-2013 05:20 PM

Wow this is not good.

I thought the OEM Michelins (Primacy MXM4s) are getting very good reviews for road noise and ride comfort. Could be something wrong with the suspension, e.g. wheel bearings?

geocord 07-05-2013 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by hadokenuh (Post 14564589)
Wow this is not good.

I thought the OEM Michelins (Primacy MXM4s) are getting very good reviews for road noise and ride comfort. Could be something wrong with the suspension, e.g. wheel bearings?

I have absolutely no complaints re. the stock RDX tires. Quiet on hwy and fine on bumpy roads. 99/100 seem to be satisfied. Don't get excited because one person doesn't like them.

CoachRick 07-05-2013 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by geocord (Post 14564654)
I have absolutely no complaints re. the stock RDX tires. Quiet on hwy and fine on bumpy roads. 99/100 seem to be satisfied. Don't get excited because one person doesn't like them.

I think the OEM tires are fine but they are a bit whiney on concrete...much quieter on asphalt(as one would expect, but the high-pitched whine on concrete is pronounced).

hand-filer 07-12-2013 12:00 PM

I concur with post #2. I did not like the Michelin's at all and switched to the Toyo Versado Cuv's after hearing good things about them.
They are much quieter and smoother riding.

yamaha123 05-05-2014 07:11 PM

hi how are yor toyos working?

Originally Posted by hand-filer (Post 14575541)
I concur with post #2. I did not like the Michelin's at all and switched to the Toyo Versado Cuv's after hearing good things about them.
They are much quieter and smoother riding.

I am looking to switch to the Toyo ... do U still like them....I have them on my 2003 accord very quiet and good corning.... looking to get some for my new 2014 rdx... I hate Michelin tires generally....

rosen39 05-05-2014 07:58 PM

I don't have my RX-350 anymore, but on my wife's C280 Mercedes and my daughter's Audi A4, both have Toyo tires. They ride and handle great. One had a bubble on the side, and was replaced under the road hazard warranty. The tire store in Massachusetts gives a free alignment with a 4 tire purchase.

yamaha123 05-05-2014 08:28 PM

Thanks.... I am a big fan of several toyos..... looking for summer tire..cheers

ipribadi 05-09-2014 09:23 AM

Same here, I'm always on the quest to find the quietest and comfy tires.
Road noise is a weak point on the RDX but it seems from TireRack that the Michelin Primacy is the best there is.

Interested to know if anyone has compared the Michelin Primacy against the Toyo Versado or any other quiet tire.

musty hustla 05-10-2014 10:25 AM

I was thinking about getting some General Grabbers when our RDX is due for new tires.

CoachRick 05-11-2014 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by ipribadi (Post 15002627)
Road noise is a weak point on the RDX but it seems from TireRack that the Michelin Primacy is the best there is.

Interested to know if anyone has compared the Michelin Primacy against the Toyo Versado or any other quiet tire.

Hey neighbor! I've posted in the past about the Goodyear TripleTred tires I put on our XC60 and later on our '11 C70...what a fantastic difference in road noise! The Pirelli Scorpions on the XC60 were very aggressive, much more so than the stock rubber on the RDX; so I expected quite a reduction in noise and was very pleased! The dry gripping was a great improvement, also.

Obviously a very different vehicle, the C70 changed personality when I replaced the stock Michelins with the Goodyears...wow! Again, dry grip was improved considerably, but the reduction in tire 'whine' was dramatic.

If we decide to buy out the RDX lease next year, I'll definitely look at the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred again. With the oft-available rebates from Goodyear, the price is pretty reasonable...even from Lamb's (not known for their low prices:rolleyes: )

I wonder what sort of mileage folks are getting from the stock tires on the RDX...I'm thinking 36-40K is decent and would be a good time for some new rubber. We're at 21k miles now, so we'll be right at 36k miles at lease-end.

hand-filer 05-21-2014 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by ipribadi (Post 15002627)

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...41&postcount=8

MEGAREP 05-28-2014 08:49 PM

I just turned 40K on my RDX the Michelin's look like the will give me about 10K more, I figure I will replace in the fall before state inspection & bad weather are do. They are much, much louder now than at 30K.

Int3gr1ty 08-09-2014 09:28 PM

I have 51k on the OEM Michelins and will probably replace with the same at 55k. They are definitely louder now but where very quite when new. The problem with tire reviews is they review the tire when new but it would be nice if they also reviewed at 50% tread life but I guess that is asking a little too much

MEGAREP 08-10-2014 09:26 PM

I'm at 48K now, I probably will replace before the end of month. I am looking at Pirelli Verde, good price, looks like a good tire ( CJ's tire in Limerick )

Flyboyrls 09-01-2014 10:49 AM

I just put a a set of Firestone Destination LE2s on my 2014 RDX to replace the OEM Michelins that were driving me crazy with their road noise. Tires came with a 30 day trial period from Tires Plus, if I don't like them, they will replace with something else.

I only have a few around town miles on them, but will be doing a 200 mile road run tomorrow so will let you know about the noise level. The Firestones were recommended by two different tire shops as being a quiet ride at a good price, about $100 per tire less than the Goodyear Triple Treads. They also suggested Bridgestone as another one to try for a quiet ride at a lower price than the Goodyears. So, if I don't like the Firestones might try the Bridgestones.

Will keep you guys posted.

Flyboyrls 09-03-2014 10:28 AM

Just a quick update to my previous post, Firestone Destination LE2s are quite a bit more quiet than the OEM Michelin tires on my RDX.
200 mile highway trip and very happy with the diminished road noise.

They were $750 installed and balanced with lifetime free rotation and balance from Tires Plus. Probably a better deal out there somewhere, but our Tires Plus actually has a pretty good reputation for customer service.

2014RDX 09-04-2014 02:33 PM

Haven't seen anyone mention the fact that the RDX was designed with Low Rolling Resistance (LRR) tires. If you replace them with a tire not designated as LRR, your mileage will drop.

dgerry2 10-01-2014 03:49 PM

Have about 35,000 miles on my 13 RDX and road noise is TERRIBLE. So loud I thought I had a bad wheel bearing. Brought it to the dealer, was told wheel bearings were fine and my "road noise" is from the tires. I am to the point of replacing the OEM Michelins, can no longer stand the noise. Still not convinced its not something to do with the drivetrain or a wheel bearing, may bring to my local mechanic to verify dealer conclusion before dropping $800 on new rubber!

dc5k20z1 03-20-2015 02:16 PM

Its about time to replace my OEM Michelin Primacy's with 38,000 on them. Any other recommendations? I'm thinking about the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring, the Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology, or the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus.

I am a big fan of Michelin's and the OEM tires are more expensive than the 3 I am looking at. I also know that "you get what you pay for" and am wondering if spending less is going to give me a better tire.

Would love to hear what everyone thinks and what tire you replaced the OEM's with

Thanks

CoachRick 04-11-2015 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by dc5k20z1 (Post 15374375)
Its about time to replace my OEM Michelin Primacy's with 38,000 on them. Any other recommendations? I'm thinking about the Goodyear Assurance ComforTred Touring, the Continental CrossContact LX20 with EcoPlus Technology, or the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus.

I am a big fan of Michelin's and the OEM tires are more expensive than the 3 I am looking at. I also know that "you get what you pay for" and am wondering if spending less is going to give me a better tire.

Would love to hear what everyone thinks and what tire you replaced the OEM's with

Thanks

I'm going to go with the Comfort Tred Touring or Triple Tred when the time comes. I put them on the XC60 and really enjoyed the improved grip and noise level; but we swapped vehicles just a few months later. I need to replace the OEM tires on the C70 and will likely go with the ComfortTred Touring or Triple Tred All Season for that vehicle. Same thing, I replaced the OEM tires on our '11 just a few months before trading. The wet traction and noise levels were improved on that vehicle as well.

Doesn't hurt that Goodyear has $120 rebate if you use their card. IF I could find a suitable tire for significantly under $800 total, I'd certainly take a look(for either vehicle). I've looked at Kumho in the past; but haven't researched them lately...seemed to offer a good value.

Have you made a decision?

seaman116 04-22-2015 08:49 AM

We have the Firestone LE2's on our RDX and hate them!Lots of road noise and you can feel every bump.I probably have about 10-12,000 miles on them but can't stand them anymore
and am looking at the pirelli scorpion all-season plus but still haven't made a final decision.
They were horrible in the snow and we bought the Michelin Ice-they were great!But like some other readers felt that the Michelin Primacy were too noisy and changed them out at about 42,000 miles.

rosen39 04-22-2015 07:00 PM

Seaman116, your best bet is to go onto Tirerack.com and put in the particulars of your car. Then as the tires come up, click them on one at a time, and read the reviews as far as noise, handling, and tread life. am partial to Toyo tires. They handle and wear as good as a Michelin, but don't have the road noise. If you go on their web site, they have a 45 day/500 mile test ride. If you don't like them, bring them back.

http://toyotires.com

The Versado CUV tire is more like a car tire tread than a light truck tread. Should be quieter.

jtkkbk 05-01-2015 12:30 PM

Speed Rating Question

My 2014 RDX is at 40K and I was just told that the Michelin Primacy OEMs need replacing in the next 1-2 months. Tread depth is down to 3/32 which surprises me because I am a conservative driver who does a lot of highway driving. I am considering the Goodyear Assurance TripleTred All Seasons. Over the years we have put these TripleTreds on 3 different Hondas, and we have been extremely happy with the tread life and reduced road noise.

My question has to do with speed rating. The load and speed rating on the TripleTreds is 103H vs the Michelin Primacy OEMs at 102V. Does the difference in speed rating cause a problem? I am replacing all 4 tires. Thanks!

rosen39 05-01-2015 10:02 PM

The number is the load rating, and the letter is the speed rating. See page from The tire Rack :

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

The "H" rated tire will ride a little smoother, and the "V" rated tire will handle better. The car came with "V" rated tires, so you might want to stick with them.

CoachRick 05-03-2015 10:51 PM

Originally Posted by rosen39 (Post 15424169)
The number is the load rating, and the letter is the speed rating. See page from The tire Rack :

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete....jsp?techid=35

The "H" rated tire will ride a little smoother, and the "V" rated tire will handle better. The car came with "V" rated tires, so you might want to stick with them.

The ComforTred Touring is V rated; but I wouldn't have a problem putting 130mph rated TripleTred All Season tires on our RDX.(Costco wouldn't do it; but the Goodyear folks should). Don't forget to use your Goodyear card for the double rebate!:thumbsup:

rosen39 05-03-2015 10:58 PM

Not that you will ever be driving 130mph in an RDX, but when you take an exit ramp you will feel the difference between an "H" rated tire and a "V" rated tire. By the time spring rolls around, I can't wait to take off my snow tires and get the OEM tires back on.

Colorado Guy AF Ret. 05-04-2015 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by rosen39 (Post 15425502)
Not that you will ever be driving 130mph in an RDX, but when you take an exit ramp you will feel the difference between an "H" rated tire and a "V" rated tire. By the time spring rolls around, I can't wait to take off my snow tires and get the OEM tires back on.

Well, not so sure about that analysis. But here are some tire stats to ponder.

I went to Continental tires a few yrs ago. They have outstanding tires in many different categories...in many cases are rated better than Mich. and others....and are cheaper to buy in most cases.

Example about H and V rated and Load Ratings.

Mich. Primacy MXM4...normal factory tire on our RDX's 102V. OK..that's a tire with 1874 lb load rating per tire. Speed factor of 149 mph.

Continental LX-20 -- 107H. This tire has a Load Rating of 2,149 lbs per tire. Speed factor of 130 mph.

This Conti tire is HIGHLY rated and loved by many who have been using it for millions of miles. Read the Tire Rack reports.

It is also a....Crossover/SUV/Touring All Season tire.

I've been running this one on my '13 RDX and love it. Wear rating is very high..and I've proved that with taking tread depth measurements.

This tire will NOT be an issue on highway ramps etc. I have pushed it and they can take it. Built to take it. Check the numbers again. Plus...am I concerned that the V is good till 149mph....vs the H at 130mph.....duhh....NO....You don't buy a luxury SUV to drive over 130....uhhh...not even hardly over 100...!

So, just passing on what I've learned...in my "older years" and many years of buying tires...running different ones over the years in my many, many vehicles.

I used to stick with Mich. Not now. Don't need to. Contis have their stuff together...are less costly to buy and to own. Warranty is great. Buy from Tire Rack all the time. Contis on my Mustangs, CRV's, Accord Cpes, RDX, Acura TSX.

I know..there are loyalists for other tires...etc, I'm just giving FACTS and showing how the H vs the V rating is just not true when it comes to SOME tires. In this comparison...the 107 Load Rating is superior to the Mich. 102.

Speed??? OK....did you put a V8 in your RDX...so you now need V rated or higher so you can drag race it? LOL!!!!

Colorado Guy AF Ret. 05-04-2015 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by CoachRick (Post 15425491)
The ComforTred Touring is V rated; but I wouldn't have a problem putting 130mph rated TripleTred All Season tires on our RDX.(Costco wouldn't do it; but the Goodyear folks should). Don't forget to use your Goodyear card for the double rebate!:thumbsup:

Coach Rick...I'm pretty much with you. Nothing wrong with an "H" tire with the proper Load Rating

Speed rating is one thing...but, the Load Rating is the key. Esp. when it comes to heavier type of vehicles and what they are designed for. A 107H tire is overall a better tire than a 102V tire...with other factors plugged in too. IF speed is a factor then refer to that...BUT, when it comes to our RDX's....a proper H tire is perfectly fine...in fact better as in the Continental LX-20 Crossover/SUV Touring All Season tire that was made for vehicles like ours....the rating...107H. Much higher Load Rating than the Mich. Primacy MXV4's factory tires.

Got to really dig in to the "weeds" when researching tires now. Much more sophisticated than yrs past. Many are over hyped and over priced and suck in a lot of buyers that really can go with high quality tires from other manufacturers at a lower cost.

Michelin prices have really gone up the past couple of years. Contis have...a little...but, not like the Mich. I've had more than one talk with Tire Rack about this...prices and comparisons in quality, etc.

Remember...or know this...the sales folks at Tire Rack are required to drive and test all the new tires out each year in dry, wet, icy conditions so they know and can feel the differences in the tires they sell. That's "objective" testing...not "subjective" speculation. They have no favs due to "name brands"....only in what they have personally observed by driving...and the feedback of customers putting miles on all the tires in different conditions and driving styles.

My "guys" that I have used over the past years have no problem saying a certain tire is just not as good as another brand they have tested. They tell it like it is.

Junior and Tanner...great guys and "friends" going back a few yrs now...have been great in providing hands on knowledge. Tanner is back in Sales...Junior has gone to another division within Tire Rack.

visiter555 05-28-2015 01:53 PM

I pulled the Primacy's at 1,967 KM and replaced with Nokian WRG3 SUV due to the winter rated tires. We get a lot of snow, and I am tired of storing and doing the change over twice a year. Many years ago when most of the tire shops started charging $75/season ($150/yr) for storage, I went to the one tire rules them all.

LOL

I have been using the WRGs since they came out and they have been great on our '13 Rav 4, '13 CR V, '08 CSX, '10 Accord etc. Warranty (if necessary) has been superb.

YMMV

CoachRick 06-03-2015 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by visiter555 (Post 15451925)
I pulled the Primacy's at 1,967 KM and replaced with Nokian WRG3 SUV due to the winter rated tires.

I'd be tickled to find someone who didn't want their original tires in the Austin area. Our lease is almost up and I will likely buy the '13 at lease-end. Problem is, the tires won't last until I find a '16 model that I like(maybe even a '17 since we are pretty happy with the '13); so, I need new kicks but don't want to drop a grand just to have good tires for less than a year. Dang!:annoyed:

rosen39 06-03-2015 07:08 PM

CoachRick, Try looking on Craig's List for a set of tires if you only need something for a year.

CoachRick 06-03-2015 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by rosen39 (Post 15458878)
CoachRick, Try looking on Craig's List for a set of tires if you only need something for a year.

Thx...I tried to do something 'in reverse' a few years back...had the tires and wanted just a piddly amount for the Pirelli Scorpions; but it really brought out the wackos on CL.:annoyed::annoyed:

I'll keep an eye out. Actually don't want the OEM tires if we plan to drive more than a few months. I haven't been too crazy about the Michelins since day one.

visiter555 06-04-2015 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by CoachRick (Post 15458757)
I'd be tickled to find someone who didn't want their original tires in the Austin area. Our lease is almost up and I will likely buy the '13 at lease-end. Problem is, the tires won't last until I find a '16 model that I like(maybe even a '17 since we are pretty happy with the '13); so, I need new kicks but don't want to drop a grand just to have good tires for less than a year. Dang!:annoyed:

It's an hour to the border here...sold the Michelin's for $500 cdn and my partner just got her '15 RDX and is waiting right now at Kal tire for hers to be swapped.

$500 Cdn = ~$420 US$...

A pretty good price for you...

CoachRick 06-04-2015 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by visiter555 (Post 15459490)
It's an hour to the border here...sold the Michelin's for $500 cdn and my partner just got her '15 RDX and is waiting right now at Kal tire for hers to be swapped.

$500 Cdn = ~$420 US$...

A pretty good price for you...

Working on the logistics of that 1400-mile drive...sounds like a long weekend.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Colorado Guy AF Ret. 06-07-2015 04:27 PM

Mich. take offs

I've got the Mich. Primacy MXM4's that came on my '16 RDX for sale. They will be taken off this coming week with approx. 400 miles. PM me if anyone is interested.

Masta120 02-22-2016 04:17 PM

Curious, anyone try to swap out the stock size tires (235/60-18) and put on wider tires?

245 or 255?

Does it improve the look of the car? Does it impact the handling, or the computer systems of the car?

I'm in the market looking to buy a new RDX (AWD with Advance pkg), and I like the look of an SUV with wider tires. Trying to see what others have done to their RDX's.

If you have pics...please post them. Thanks.