Replacement Tire Recommendations

Old 04-07-2016, 02:18 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
no one mention of Continental ExtremeContact DWS at all? just traded in a 12 for a 16, so I should be good for a few yrs, but for the first generation RDX, conti DWS was the tire to get, did something change or they are too sporty for 2nd generation? just fall out of favor?
Old 07-30-2016, 06:43 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
any new recommendations to replace the OEM Michelin Primacys? I believe the Primacy MXV4 is no longer made, and need to change my Michelins on my 2014 RDX soon...
Old 07-31-2016, 07:48 AM
Instructor

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts
Primacy's are still standard on 2017 RDX's.I bought Michelin Premier LTX's for My 2013.Great ,quiet and supposed to be the best tire in the rain.
Old 08-17-2016, 09:41 PM
Intermediate

Had to reply.....just replaced the original Michelins on my 2014 with Pirelli Scorpian Verde Plus and I can feel and hear the difference already. Given the Michelins had 51,000 plus on them, they were much louder and harder even when they were new. I researched Tire Rack's comments and found the Pirelli's were what I was looking for and were half the cost of the Michelin's.
Very happy so far!!
P.S. While looking for a new car for my wife, I noticed that all of the CPO Lexus RX's had the Pirelli's on them, good enough for the RX, good enough for my RDX.
Old 09-11-2016, 11:52 AM
Dedalus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Okay, this feels like an elephant in the room and the reason I searched this thread out. I have always had issues getting/finding the OEM MXM4. I live in Southern California, so not the sticks. When I first got my '13 (new) I had two issues within just a few months. One was a screw that was in the edge and not patchable. Next, there was some small poke on the side, not patchable. Each time I was told something about why this tire was hard to find--a new model or something. One time, no one, including the dealer had it but the guy at the Sears automotive said he looked at some obscure database and found one--just one--and it took a week to get, a week I couldn't drive the car. Now, sure the dealer has it, but only one place, Just Tires, that I've tried can get it. Costco "caries" it but they don't when I will actually be able to go in and get it. The side effect of this is that I can't get any kind of deal or sale. I have a Pep Boys coupon for 25% off tires when I buy 4 (all need replacing, original set with 50,000 miles--besides the earlier issues), but they can only get MXV4. And this is a rare coupon that doesn't require the overpriced road hazard warranty. Only $600 for four MXV4 tires installed. Over a grand for the one place that can get the MXM4, same with the dealer. Why the freak does this one tire gotta be just a little more common than bigfoot? I'm not saying I can't get it, but I can get lots of tires with deals, tires that start out cheaper and get a lot cheaper from there. By the way, the price tends to be $220-240; is that what you've seen?
Thanks,
Mike
Old 09-11-2016, 03:50 PM
Racer

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts
Tirerack has OEM for 235 each, and $70 off from Michelin.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:10 PM
10th Gear

thanks for the info - in addition to being quieter, do the Pirelli's give a bit of softness to what can otherwise be a bit of a harsh RDX ride?

Originally Posted by Doug's RDX
Had to reply.....just replaced the original Michelins on my 2014 with Pirelli Scorpian Verde Plus and I can feel and hear the difference already. Given the Michelins had 51,000 plus on them, they were much louder and harder even when they were new. I researched Tire Rack's comments and found the Pirelli's were what I was looking for and were half the cost of the Michelin's.
Very happy so far!!
P.S. While looking for a new car for my wife, I noticed that all of the CPO Lexus RX's had the Pirelli's on them, good enough for the RX, good enough for my RDX.
Old 10-01-2016, 02:02 PM
10th Gear

does acura truly recommend a V rated tire for the RDX? if so, some tire places might refuse to put on H rated tires.
But personally I think having a V rated tire is overdoing it. This is a 149 MPH tire!!

Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
Coach Rick...I'm pretty much with you. Nothing wrong with an "H" tire with the proper Load Rating

Speed rating is one thing...but, the Load Rating is the key. Esp. when it comes to heavier type of vehicles and what they are designed for. A 107H tire is overall a better tire than a 102V tire...with other factors plugged in too. IF speed is a factor then refer to that...BUT, when it comes to our RDX's....a proper H tire is perfectly fine...in fact better as in the Continental LX-20 Crossover/SUV Touring All Season tire that was made for vehicles like ours....the rating...107H. Much higher Load Rating than the Mich. Primacy MXV4's factory tires.

Got to really dig in to the "weeds" when researching tires now. Much more sophisticated than yrs past. Many are over hyped and over priced and suck in a lot of buyers that really can go with high quality tires from other manufacturers at a lower cost.

Michelin prices have really gone up the past couple of years. Contis have...a little...but, not like the Mich. I've had more than one talk with Tire Rack about this...prices and comparisons in quality, etc.

Remember...or know this...the sales folks at Tire Rack are required to drive and test all the new tires out each year in dry, wet, icy conditions so they know and can feel the differences in the tires they sell. That's "objective" testing...not "subjective" speculation. They have no favs due to "name brands"....only in what they have personally observed by driving...and the feedback of customers putting miles on all the tires in different conditions and driving styles.

My "guys" that I have used over the past years have no problem saying a certain tire is just not as good as another brand they have tested. They tell it like it is.

Junior and Tanner...great guys and "friends" going back a few yrs now...have been great in providing hands on knowledge. Tanner is back in Sales...Junior has gone to another division within Tire Rack.
Old 10-01-2016, 06:42 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Hey Bostonsnow........are you in the Boston Mass area? I just replace the OEM Michelins with Pirelli Scorpion Verde if you want to see what they ride like. I stayed with the "V" speed rating.
The $60.00 Pirelli Rebate ends 10/3/16.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:04 PM
10th Gear

used to be in Boston, but now in Los Angeles!
how do you find the ride and road noise compared to the Michelins?

Originally Posted by rosen39
Hey Bostonsnow........are you in the Boston Mass area? I just replace the OEM Michelins with Pirelli Scorpion Verde if you want to see what they ride like. I stayed with the "V" speed rating.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:55 PM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Well the Michelin's were at the end of their tread life, so of course you felt everything on the road. The new Pirelli's have full tread depth and ride very smooth. I find the car has more noise from the outside rearview mirrors than the tires (winter tires make more noise). The tire store did a great alignment and the car tracks straight ahead around town and on the highway. Mounted, balanced, alignment, and with the Pirelli $60 rebate, the four tires ran me $875.00.
Old 11-15-2016, 06:10 PM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I am going with Continental ExtremeContacts and upsizing to 255/50/19. I really like the extra wide tread contact patch, its almost an inch wider than a typical all-season tire of the same width, giving the sidewall a very sporty appearance which will look good with my new fancy 19 x 9 summer wheels.
These tires have decent reviews regarding noise levels but bear in mind all new tires are usually much quieter than the worn ones they replaced. (unless you went to a more aggressive tread pattern) It was either these ones or the Michelin Premier LTX which, based on my reading hundreds upon hundreds of reviews, seems to be the quietest all-season tire you can buy.

And here is my rant for the day...in reading those hundreds of reviews, I couldn't believe how many idiots gave what could have been a decent all-season tire a terrible review because of bad traction on snow and ice. I assume these people have never actually used winter tires. I mean seriously, every 4th review was like that. One guy started his review by saying the tire should be recalled...lol...anyway, just sayin....

Old 11-19-2016, 11:29 PM
8th Gear

I don't see much discussion about Bridgestone. They have always performed great for me, especially on my old RL. Has anyone found a good Bridgestone tire for their RDX?
Old 12-27-2016, 04:52 PM
J37A5

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
I put these on the 2013 RDX, but then traded it (DOH!!!). I liked them enough, in the short time I drove on them, to put them on the 2010 ZDX. Really like them on the ZDX as well:

Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus

Last edited by HondaOwnerForLife; 12-27-2016 at 04:56 PM. Reason: User error
Old 02-11-2017, 06:56 PM
10th Gear

ok, it was time to replace the OEM tires. I shopped around. Prices were reasonably consistent. The Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus was $104 per tire, the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 price ranged from $225-250 per tire. I just could not justify this more than double price for the Michelin. So I had the Pirelli's put on today. So far I like them a lot. I don't remember what the ride was exactly like when the Michelin's were new, but these Pirellis are nice. At least as good if not nicer ride than the Michelins, I think. As for quietness, perhaps not quite as quiet as the Michelins, but still good.
Old 02-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Skidoor
I am going with Continental ExtremeContacts and upsizing to 255/50/19. I really like the extra wide tread contact patch, its almost an inch wider than a typical all-season tire of the same width, giving the sidewall a very sporty appearance which will look good with my new fancy 19 x 9 summer wheels.
These tires have decent reviews regarding noise levels but bear in mind all new tires are usually much quieter than the worn ones they replaced. (unless you went to a more aggressive tread pattern) It was either these ones or the Michelin Premier LTX which, based on my reading hundreds upon hundreds of reviews, seems to be the quietest all-season tire you can buy.

And here is my rant for the day...in reading those hundreds of reviews, I couldn't believe how many idiots gave what could have been a decent all-season tire a terrible review because of bad traction on snow and ice. I assume these people have never actually used winter tires. I mean seriously, every 4th review was like that. One guy started his review by saying the tire should be recalled...lol...anyway, just sayin....
I'm thinking of the same tire and size on a 19 x 8.5 rim...
Old 02-23-2017, 09:41 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by ViperZ
I'm thinking of the same tire and size on a 19 x 8.5 rim...
As you will see in my other post, I changed my mind about which tires to get. But I did like those.
Old 02-25-2017, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

As you will see in my other post, I changed my mind about which tires to get. But I did like those.
Yes, be sure to post pictures for us to see
Old 02-25-2017, 05:02 PM
Racer

I can't see myself not wanting to do so. The FC04 wheels are somewhat bold for the RDX but the available sizes was a big factor and the price was manageable. ..the Oversteers are gorgeous and pretty elegant looking, so I wouldn't worry about the tuner look with those.
Old 02-27-2017, 12:28 PM
Instructor

I can't see myself not wanting to do so. The FC04 wheels are somewhat bold for the RDX but the available sizes was a big factor and the price was manageable. ..the Oversteers are gorgeous and pretty elegant looking, so I wouldn't worry about the tuner look with those.
I really want to see your RDX with he FC04 on it, and see if what I hypothesis in fitment is correct Thanks, I keep waffling on the whole wheel issue. Another wheel I like is the Vertini RF1.1 . We'll see, it may just be the stock Elites for a while, as I'm suffering from paralysis by analysis
Old 03-14-2017, 09:54 AM
vet
6th Gear

Masta 120, I'm in the same boat. I'm leery of putting a wider tire on the stock 7.5" wide rims. One other thing to keep in mind is that larger tires weigh more and that is the worst kind of weight to add to a vehicle. I know the RDX isn't a race car but I've experienced degraded ride quality after adding heavier aftermarket rims/tires on a family vehicle. A tire that weighs a pound or 2 more isn't a big deal but if you go up by 5 pounds it's perceptible.
Old 03-14-2017, 09:57 AM
vet
6th Gear

Love these tires and wish they came in the stock size. I've also been thinking of going +1 but finding a reasonably priced set of 19's that don't weigh 30lbs is a challenge.
Old 03-17-2017, 01:19 PM
Racer

255/50/19 on Fastwheels FC04

I picked up my new wheels and tires today.

Michelin Premeier LTX 255/50/19 (same size as on BMW X5)
Fastwheels FC04 Platinum 8.5" wide w/ 45 mm backspacing

These wheels were not my first choice but the other wheels I liked weren't available in the specs I wanted.

The wheel finish is loaded with metallic flake and they are brighter than most dark wheels and only (as I recall) 21 lbs.

Old 03-17-2017, 02:25 PM
Racer

sidewall width of tire as mounted: 10-3/4"

Based on how they look, NEVER go wider than a 8.5" wheel on a 255 tire.
Old 03-17-2017, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Thumbs up

I picked up my new wheels and tires today.

Michelin Premeier LTX 255/50/19 (same size as on BMW X5)
Fastwheels FC04 Platinum 8.5" wide w/ 45 mm backspacing

These wheels were not my first choice but the other wheels I liked weren't available in the specs I wanted.

The wheel finish is loaded with metallic flake and they are brighter than most dark wheels and only (as I recall) 21 lbs.

OK! Looking forward to them mounted!
Old 03-20-2017, 08:12 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Nice to see that you finally got your wheels in Skidoor. Spring is now officially here and now you can swap out your winters and put the new ones on.

Is that the 1010 tires in Oakville?
Old 03-21-2017, 07:50 PM
Racer

Yes it is. You got your wheels and tires there too, I think?
Old 03-22-2017, 11:34 AM
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts
Yes it is. You got your wheels and tires there too, I think?
Yes I did.
Waiting for a good day to swap out the winters for the summers!
Old 08-24-2017, 11:32 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
my wife hit the curb with the front right tire, and it nicked the sidewall a bit. It is non-repairable, the other 3 tires have about 7/32 tread left, one place suggested we should replace all 4 tires and one place think we can just replace one, but we are at our own risk and they are not responsible if that cause any damage to the transfer case, etc.... what to do? car is a 16 with about 25k miles, with the way we drive, the other 3 tires should give us another 15-25k miles. if we are going to get 4 new tires, we will most likely get the Continental Extremecontact dws06, looks like they're finally making them in our size now. We got them in our 12 RDX, and they were quieter than the OEM Michelin that came with the 2012.
Old 08-25-2017, 08:52 PM
Racer

What to do? Lose the wife...

Seriously, that's a real tough call . I would look around for a used tire that has the same amount of wear as the front left. It doesnt have to be the same brand and type. Failing that, buy 2 and replace the front left as well.
Old 09-26-2017, 07:27 AM
3rd Gear

Has anyone put the Toyo Tires on there RDX? The OEM Michelin tires are 235/60r18 102v and the Toyo's are 235/60r18 107v, does the 102 versus 107 make that much of a difference? Any info today would be great.

thedears
Old 09-26-2017, 07:33 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by rosen39
Hey rosen39, are your Pirelli's 107 v or 103 v tires? Looking at Toyo as I have them on my Outlook and love them but they are 107 v versus OEM 102 v.

the dears
Old 09-26-2017, 07:44 AM
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Bostonsnow
ok, it was time to replace the OEM tires. I shopped around. Prices were reasonably consistent. The Pirelli Scorpion Verde Plus was $104 per tire, the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM4 price ranged from $225-250 per tire. I just could not justify this more than double price for the Michelin. So I had the Pirelli's put on today. So far I like them a lot. I don't remember what the ride was exactly like when the Michelin's were new, but these Pirellis are nice. At least as good if not nicer ride than the Michelins, I think. As for quietness, perhaps not quite as quiet as the Michelins, but still good.
https://simpletire.com/catalog?select=1&year=2014&make=Acura&model=RDX&op tion=Base&brand=72&query=catalog

Bostonsnow,
which Pirelli's do you replace, here is a list from simple tire.

thx, the dears
Old 04-21-2019, 06:09 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Reviving an old thread -

Starting to look for new sneakers for the Mrs. 2016 RDX Advance. I know tire selection can be very subjective, but am looking for recommendations and experiences from fellow Aziners. I've been on tirerack.com and there is no clear head and shoulders above the rest tire on there. We have a dedicated set of snow tires and rims so, snow traction isn't a concern. Looking for a good overall tire in dry and wet with a comfortable and quiet ride.

Let me know your thoughts and experiences - thx.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:05 PM

Bueller?? Bueller??
Old 04-26-2019, 03:22 PM
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
There are a lot of recommendations in the posts above. The 2016 we just bought had new tires installed by the dealer. It was odd, because every RDX they had, except for a couple of really low miles ones, had replaced tires. The tires, that we are happy enough with, are Nexen N FERA RU5. They are V rated and quiet so far. Have not had them long enough to comment on tread wear or noise as they age. We are quite the Michelin family, and I was disappointed that here I was buying a car that actually came with them and the one I found had them replaced! My son-in-law, who is in the tire business, says the Nexens are an OEM on many Korean cars. At $136. MSRP, i would consider them a good bargain for these vehicles, depending on how they age. They are rated for 65k.
Old 05-02-2019, 12:30 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Last month, I replaced a set of conti 4x4 contacts that were basically bald and really loud with a set of michelin defender ltx.

The defender ltx was not my first choice but I read a lot of good reviews saying the treadlife is amazing. Traction on wet and snow conditions are apparently really good as well. I was sold on the treadlife since I didn't get much mileage on the contis. I also read that there might be a bit of road noise due to the tread pattern and how much beefier they look. I thought I would be able to put up with it since my contis were really loud.

Almost a month later, I have now swapped out the defender ltx for my original choice, the michelin latitude tour hp. Such a huge difference. Rides much smoother and quieter and seems like it grips the road a bit better as well. There are reviews that say the treadlife on these aren't great but I can live with that if these tires are better in every other category.

Moral of the story, go with the first instinct and don't look back
Old 05-06-2019, 07:36 PM

johnny -

Thanks for your feedback. My daughter has had the Michelin Defender on her CR-V and likes them. I will need to do some more research, but thanks!
Old 05-07-2019, 05:06 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
Check TireRack reviews of Pirelli Cinturato P7. This is very highly rated tire.
Old 05-08-2019, 08:41 PM

Thanks for the recommendation but Tire Rack site is telling me the Pirelli Cinturato P7 isn't available in the RDX OEM size of 235/60/18.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replacement Tire Recommendations