Question ON Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2017, 09:24 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question ON Tires

Right now I have the

PIRELLI SCORPION VERDE A/S PLUS

on my rdx and I got 60K+ miles on them. Time for Change. I can get them for $700 with mounting, balancing, disposal, and 4 wheel alignment.

My only complaint is not great with ice.

Mavis has the BFGoodrich Advantage T/A Sport LT

Are the bf goodrich a better tire? Both comparable in price.
Old 10-24-2017, 10:17 AM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
Tires are pretty subjective.
the best practice is if you like a certain type of tire...keep buying that tire.
or you can experiment and buy different brands to figure out which ones you like..and which ones cater towards you and your driving style and climate.

just to note; NONE of the all season CUV tires will be great for ice.
Old 10-24-2017, 12:47 PM
Intermediate

THink I got my answer none of the all season CUV tires will be great. I got 60K miles on the pirellis.
The following users liked this post:
justnspace (10-24-2017)
Old 10-24-2017, 01:00 PM

tires are full of compromises.
there's not one fit all or one best tire for all.
if you prioritize longer life (60k is pretty long) then I would keep sticking with the Pirellis

I like summer tires and can only get about 10-15k miles out of them. I wouldnt give up the traction for longer life tho
Old 10-24-2017, 01:02 PM
Intermediate

Has anyone used the bridgestones?
Old 10-24-2017, 01:13 PM

I daily drive a Kia Sportage CUV with Bridgestone Dueler's H/L.
it's loud. lots of road noise. okay traction, okay handling, it's just an okay tire that lasts about 30k miles.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Intermediate

I think answer is pirelli scorpion.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:15 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm looking into the Scorpions myself. A fair amount of Tire Rack reviews talk about the tires becoming very loud after 20K, did you have this issue?
Old 06-02-2018, 01:14 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pirelli Scorpion

Originally Posted by D Leopoldi
I think answer is pirelli scorpion.
[QUOTE=tegraphile;16140874]I'm looking into the Scorpions myself. A fair amount of Tire Rack reviews talk about the tires becoming very loud after 20K, did you have this issue?

i just put these tires on my RDX. Quiet ride and bumps are muted. A bit of a softer ride than my last set which were Falken Ziex950 A/S. Try the Falkens if you like a ‘high performance’ (e.g., more responsive) feel.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:58 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
[QUOTE=Djames210;16242985]

Originally Posted by tegraphile
I'm looking into the Scorpions myself. A fair amount of Tire Rack reviews talk about the tires becoming very loud after 20K, did you have this issue?

i just put these tires on my RDX. Quiet ride and bumps are muted. A bit of a softer ride than my last set which were Falken Ziex950 A/S. Try the Falkens if you like a ‘high performance’ (e.g., more responsive) feel.
Sorry to dig up old thread but I'm looking to replace my tires as well and The Scorpions A/S plus has been one of the ones with good reviews I run across but also notice the noise issue after about 20K miles. Any inputs/update would be appreciated.

Old 08-28-2018, 08:41 AM
4th Gear

Tires

Hey Guys,

I will soon be in the market for set of tires for 2015 rdx awd. Which one would you recommend? I am looking for all season tires with good durability. Thanks in advance. Earlier, I was planning on buying Micheline from Costco but I feel that they are super expensive. I like their warranty but I don’t want to pay such a huge premium either.

Old 08-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Advanced

I went with the Pirelli Scorpion Verse All Season Plus. Ride quality is much improved and chassis feels more responsive. I have about 10K on the tires so far and have been really happy. I got them through Tire Rack with a rebate, just needed to find a local installer.

They come with a 2 year hazard warranty (through Tire Rack) and 65K tread warranty.

I can vouch for solid rain handling, but cannot speak to snow skills.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:43 PM
4th Gear

I went with the Pirelli Scorpion Verse All Season Plus. Ride quality is much improved and chassis feels more responsive. I have about 10K on the tires so far and have been really happy. I got them through Tire Rack with a rebate, just needed to find a local installer.

They come with a 2 year hazard warranty (through Tire Rack) and 65K tread warranty.

I can vouch for solid rain handling, but cannot speak to snow skills.
Thanks.
when you made the decision to go with Pirelli, were also looking at other brands like continental cross LX20 or Michelin Premier LTX? I have been hearing some tread related concerns with Pirelli but I am glad that you have positive experience thus far.
Old 08-28-2018, 12:53 PM
Latent car nut

Received 2,005 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Originally Posted by newbee01

Thanks.
when you made the decision to go with Pirelli, were also looking at other brands like continental cross LX20 or Michelin Premier LTX? I have been hearing some tread related concerns with Pirelli but I am glad that you have positive experience thus far.
Keep in mind, every manufacturer has some tire models which have "tread related concerns", Continental, Michelin, and Pirelli included. All three also have other models which seem to defy the mileage put on them and keep the tread looking relatively fresh. What you need to do is get very specific feedback on individual models versus grouping all tires in from any one manufacturer. FWIW, the last four sets of tires I've purchased were (in order) Pirelli, Michelin, Continental, and Pirelli; I carefully selected which model to buy in each case, and all four sets have performed well beyond expectations (which were already set high).
Old 09-04-2018, 11:51 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by horseshoez
Keep in mind, every manufacturer has some tire models which have "tread related concerns", Continental, Michelin, and Pirelli included. All three also have other models which seem to defy the mileage put on them and keep the tread looking relatively fresh. What you need to do is get very specific feedback on individual models versus grouping all tires in from any one manufacturer. FWIW, the last four sets of tires I've purchased were (in order) Pirelli, Michelin, Continental, and Pirelli; I carefully selected which model to buy in each case, and all four sets have performed well beyond expectations (which were already set high).
Picking top level tire manufacturers is usually a safe and reliable option. Glad your sets have worked out thus far.
Old 09-05-2018, 03:57 AM
Latent car nut

Picking top level tire manufacturers is usually a safe and reliable option. Glad your sets have worked out thus far.
Now there's an informative post.
Old 02-24-2019, 04:36 PM
JD8
Advanced

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
The new Pirellis look and handle great, but man are they noisy on the highway. Are new tires typically louder? I was thinking maybe it's the additional tread.

Old 02-24-2019, 05:03 PM
Latent car nut

Originally Posted by JD8
The new Pirellis look and handle great, but man are they noisy on the highway. Are new tires typically louder? I was thinking maybe it's the additional tread.
It typically depends upon tread pattern. My new Pirelli Cinturato P7s were as quiet as can be when new and now 20,000 miles later are still quiet. The Goodrich G-Force Comp-2 A/S tires before them where annoyingly noisy when new and got noisier as they aged.
Old 02-24-2019, 05:26 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
Originally Posted by horseshoez
It typically depends upon tread pattern.
Will be buying new shoes for the Mrs. RDX in the Spring and will go through this tire selection process. Currently riding on Blizzaks and while noisy - I know she is safer
Old 02-27-2019, 06:44 PM
Advanced

I did not have the experience of road noise with the Pirellis; they were a big sound and ride quality improvement from the stock Michelins.

The Pirelli is OEM to high performance crossovers like Porsche and Audi, so I guess road noise may be the trade-off improved performance.
Old 02-27-2019, 07:23 PM
Latent car nut

I did not have the experience of road noise with the Pirellis; they were a big sound and ride quality improvement from the stock Michelins.

The Pirelli is OEM to high performance crossovers like Porsche and Audi, so I guess road noise may be the trade-off improved performance.
The brand is irrelevant; Pirelli, Michelin, Continental, Bridgestone, and many others, ALL make high performance rubber which is all about, well, performance, noise be damned. They also make softer and quieter tires; once again, it all depends primarily upon the tread pattern (and also compound, carcass construction, sidewall stiffness, profile..., the list goes on).