Original wheel nuts won’t work on aftermarket wheels (for winter tires) ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 01:33 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Original wheel nuts won’t work on aftermarket wheels (for winter tires) ?

I was told by the tires shop a new set of wheel nuts is needed when I replace my stock wheels of my few months old 17 RDX because “nut teeth may not match” – am I being up sale for unnecessary parts?

The selected wheels (Fast Wheels Innovation) should fit for my vehicle as per few web sites that I checked. I hate the idea of having to replace the security wheel nuts that I purchased from Acura with the vehicle.

Thanks for your inputs and comments.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:44 PM
10th Gear

I should have mentioned the wheels/tires I am replacing matches with the original.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:50 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts

lug nuts HAVE to match wheel mating surface.
MOST factory wheels and wheel lug nuts use ball seats, while aftermarket wheels will use a tapered or acorn style
The following users liked this post:
hanko (10-29-2017)
Old 10-26-2017, 03:24 PM
10th Gear

"MOST factory wheels and wheel lug nuts use ball seats, while aftermarket wheels will use a tapered or acorn style"

Great info and thanks justnspace. Your explanation made perfect sense. So it has nothing to do with the nut teeth as I was explained by the tires-shop guy. He doesn't sound like a newbie there and I am wondering why didn't he just say the new nuts are needed due to different mount surface between factory and aftermarket.

By the way that tires shop is highly rated in our local area and that is why I didn't really think they would sell us things we don't need.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:55 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,576 Likes on 6,626 Posts
Seat type = teeth for laymen maybe
Old 10-26-2017, 04:33 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by thoiboi
Seat type = teeth for laymen maybe
Thanks thoiboi, and it must be as I found the tires shop guy trust worthy. He basically put his lunch aside to serve me even after I asked him to finish his lunch first (as I can wait by wandering around the shop looking at rims). I felt guilty because I think everyone (except owner ?) deserved an uninterrupted lunch. Well, it sounded like a language gap - technical vs. laymen term - now that I am looking back.
Old 10-26-2017, 04:37 PM

Received 16,260 Likes on 11,971 Posts
That's not even the correct term either, I just looked at the pictures and came up with that term, mating surface.
I also googled to make sure that Honda uses the ball seat type of lug nuts, just to be sure.
Old 10-29-2017, 01:14 PM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by justnspace

lug nuts HAVE to match wheel mating surface.
MOST factory wheels and wheel lug nuts use ball seats, while aftermarket wheels will use a tapered or acorn style
I replaced my original wheels with the aftermarket, and looked at the lug nuts and ball seats of both -- sure enough just like justnspace said Also looked at few old factory rims of different manufactures (German, Japanese, etc...) on displayed at the tires shop, and they seem to match with your comment as well. Thanks again.