About to get new tires

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 01:31 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
About to get new tires

My 2014 has 55K miles on it and I am about to change tires with Nokian WRG3 SUV tires. When tires are changed, is there a need to change the valve stems or do anything related to TPMS? Thanks.
Old 06-12-2015, 02:11 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 303 Likes on 211 Posts
Originally Posted by wallmike
My 2014 has 55K miles on it and I am about to change tires with Nokian WRG3 SUV tires. When tires are changed, is there a need to change the valve stems or do anything related to TPMS? Thanks.
Given the fact that the TPMS sensors are relatively new (less than 2 years old) their batteries are still pretty fresh, and since you're not changing rims, you shouldn't need new mounting hardware for the TPMS sensors - so they should be able to be re-used as-is. A reputable shop will make sure that they're still tight on the rim, and make sure that the valve core is properly seated when they re-install after dismounting the old tire. So ask them how they think the sensors look just to have them pay attention. So I'd think you'll be all set.

You'll have to tell me how you like the WR G3 SUV's during the summertime and how they compare to the factory tires. I live in NH and am contemplating putting on the WR G3 SUV's before winter and running them year-round. We have a local shop that specializes in Nokian and I can get a decent deal, and they do lifetime balance/rotation/repairs and use the Hunter Roadforce balancing.

andy
Old 06-12-2015, 06:50 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Most reputable shops will remove the sensors prior to removing the tire to keep them from being damaged.

That will require the replacement of the two little o-rings - about $2 per wheel.
Old 06-13-2015, 08:44 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ceb
Most reputable shops will remove the sensors prior to removing the tire to keep them from being damaged.

That will require the replacement of the two little o-rings - about $2 per wheel.
With modern tire removal equipment that was designed with tpms sensors in mind, removal of the sensors after the bead seal is broken is no longer required. At least that's true with competent tire techs that know how to use the equipment.....
Old 06-13-2015, 10:00 PM
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts
I have been using Nokian WR G3 SUVs for 20k kms now. I live in Edmonton and I can tell you guys that they are the best tires out there if you guys do not like switching to specific winter tires during winter season. I have driven from Alberta to Ontario with them through summer and through winter as well. During the winter long drive, I drove through a winter storm and I made it out alive. The conditions were sketchy to the point that I debated on pulling over. I did push through in the end but I would not even dare try driving through that storm with OEMs. They are really quiet but nobody beats the quietness of the OEMs. They are really good in rain and slush. You guys will not be disappointed in winter either, I use my RDX to go to mountains for snowboarding and I have a lot more confidence driving with them. That being said, a dedicated winter tires are still better than the G3s. Overall, really great tires. I think all SUVs and CUVs should come out the factory with these tires.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by andysinnh
You'll have to tell me how you like the WR G3 SUV's during the summertime and how they compare to the factory tires.
andy
I heard good things about them from some people I know. I don't plan to pay $200+ for the OEM tires. I had good experience with Hankook in the past for my VW Touareg, but was looking to do something different this time around. Hence the decision to buy this "all weather" tire which supposedly is good in snow. These are quite expensive themselves but still cost about $30 less per tire than OEM.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:12 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
I heard good things about them from some people I know. I don't plan to pay $200+ for the OEM tires. I had good experience with Hankook in the past for my VW Touareg, but was looking to do something different this time around. Hence the decision to buy this "all weather" tire which supposedly is good in snow. These are quite expensive themselves but still cost about $30 less per tire than OEM.
I don't need the winter capabilities; so, I'm likely to go with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde or Conti CrossContact @ $140 and $153 each...OR...the Goodyear Assurance Comfort Tred Touring(might be a price mistake @ $149 ea...all from Discount Tire...unless Goodyear(across the driveway, literally) will match the Comfort Tred price++rebates. I'm going for better wet and dry traction and a quieter ride. Not a chance I would replace the OEM Michelins with the same tire(except at an exceptional price), since it looks like we will drive the '13 for another year or so. We are down to the minimum tread on the OEM tires after only 36K miles of at least 1/2 highway driving.
Old 06-16-2015, 07:43 AM
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Just replaced the OEM Michelin's after 52,000. Got the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus. Initial review is whisper quiet and a slightly better ride. Haven't gotten the chance yet to run it thorough hard corners, but very impressive so far, and a great deal from Tire Rack. Took them to the local Mr. Tire and had them installed for $20 each.
The following users liked this post:
RedWood (06-16-2015)
Old 06-17-2015, 07:00 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Been using the WRGs since 2008 on my CSX and they have been great in summer to winter. Here in Winnipeg we get snow and they do the job, not as well as dedicated winters, but darn close. The warranty has been great, in 2013 one of my WRG2 tires developed a bulge and the dealer said "I hate to replace one tire as they are almost five years old." Then he offered to replace all four for $300 Cdn all in with new five year warranty. I took it.

I also put the WRG3s on both of the 2015 RDXs we bought in April and they run quiet. Quieter that the original Michelins and a slightly better ride over flat & pot holes. Paid $1,035 all in for four (Canadian) and sold the Michel OEMs for $550 so it cost $485 to go back to one all weather tire, no storage, no PITA change overs etc and a reasonable warranty (WRG3 SUVs have five year 80,000 km warranty).

We also have them on or 2013 Honda CR-V and had them on our 2010 Accord, nary a complaint in any season or road condition.
Old 06-19-2015, 08:54 PM
Pro

Well, I scored the Goodyear Assurance ComfortTred Touring today for $150 ea. Getting a $90 rebate as well. According to the Goodyear shop, their cost on this tire is $188; but Discount Tire stood by the online price of $149. For those of us who don't deal with snow and slush, I think it's an excellent option. Installation is Saturday...I'm sure they will be a great improvement over the worn-out OEM tires. Happy to spend $750 all in(including the super-warranty) instead of $1000+

Guess this is another excuse to hang on to the '13 for a while.
Old 06-22-2015, 06:50 AM
Instructor

Is there a need to change the Valve stems when installing new tires?
Old 06-22-2015, 09:31 AM
Pro

Is there a need to change the Valve stems when installing new tires?
In my experience, yes, no and maybe so. Seems the valve stem isn't the most robust part of the system; so, many shops recommend their replacement routinely. However, it isn't necessary every time, especially if they are deemed to be in good shape. Now, the TPMS is a different story.

Life used to be so simple...
Old 06-23-2015, 07:36 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by CoachRick
In my experience, yes, no and maybe so. Seems the valve stem isn't the most robust part of the system; so, many shops recommend their replacement routinely. However, it isn't necessary every time, especially if they are deemed to be in good shape. Now, the TPMS is a different story.

Life used to be so simple...
With TPMS, the valve stem is NOT replaced, but if they are removed then you'll need new O-rings (two per valve stem) - every tire place has them and they are a dollar or two per wheel
Old 06-27-2015, 07:16 AM
Instructor

Had the tires put on. The shop asked me if I knew these were winter tires. I said they are all-weather. The first thing I noticed was a different kind of noise, nothing like I heard before. It was a little muffled compared to the OEM but not much quieter. Sounded a little odd. Haven't yet driven at highway speeds. Hopefully I made the right choice to drive on these outside winter times.
Old 06-27-2015, 08:46 AM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
The Nokian WRG3 is in fact an all weather tire, but also carries the severe weather Mountain Snowflake symbol. Please note all weather and all season tires are two different things. I don't know where you live but you will now be well equipped to handle winter / snow conditions. My guess is the more aggressive tread pattern is going to be noisier than an all season tire tread. If this isn't what you wanted or needed, you should see if your tire dealer has a "test drive" period.
Old 07-03-2015, 07:34 AM
Advanced

Having had Nokian WRGs for 10 years on various vehicles, I have never found them nosier than the OEMs.

You may be very sensitive to the differences (real or imagined) as you are paying more attention to road noise with the new rubber.
Old 07-03-2015, 08:45 AM
Pro

Speaking of noise, the Goodyear Assurance tires are very quiet compared to the OEM tires. Very different sound on concrete, not as noticeable on asphalt. Of course, the new rubber is grippy and responsive; but I believe these tires are a couple of notches above the original Michelins...very pleased with this purchase.
Old 07-04-2015, 03:16 PM
Instructor

False alarm. There was a lot of rain on the day I had them installed. So, the noise was kind of odd but still less than OEMs. Now, on dry days, the noise is definitely a lot less than OEMs. So far, I am pleased. I live in PA, so expect a little snow and hopefully the tires do well in that.
Old 07-04-2015, 08:17 PM
Burning Brakes

False alarm. There was a lot of rain on the day I had them installed. So, the noise was kind of odd but still less than OEMs. Now, on dry days, the noise is definitely a lot less than OEMs. So far, I am pleased. I live in PA, so expect a little snow and hopefully the tires do well in that.
Thanks for sharing. Nokian directional tires always 'sing' in the rain and get quiet on dry pavement, so what you noted isn't surprising. Let us know how the wear and perform as you get some miles on them.

Andy
Old 07-29-2015, 11:30 AM
Instructor

I have about 1500 miles now after the installation. Very pleased. Noticeably quieter than OEMs in all conditions, especially at Highway speeds.
Old 07-30-2015, 12:34 AM
Pro

And...after the wettest June on record, it hasn't rained a drop in July. I haven't been able to give the Goodyears a good wet grip test; but I'm liking them so far!
Old 07-31-2015, 12:37 AM
J37A5

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
2013 RDX AWD will need new skins soon, so this has been helpful. I don't want directional tires. Here in Nebraska, the all season will suffice I think. I want quiet and tread life. This is my wife's car.
Old 08-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Pro

Originally Posted by HondaOwnerForLife
2013 RDX AWD will need new skins soon, so this has been helpful. I don't want directional tires. Here in Nebraska, the all season will suffice I think. I want quiet and tread life. This is my wife's car.

Well, I did it again. For the third vehicle in a row, I've purchased new tires and then traded that vehicle before the tires were paid off!!!

For two months, I really enjoyed the Goodyears...Check with Discount Tire if they are in your area. They had the Assurance model for less than the Goodyear dealer right across the driveway(in fact, the Goodyear guy showed me his invoice for that model that Discount Tire was selling for $149. His COST was $188 per !!!) Very quiet and dry grippy. As I mentioned, I did not rain a single day in July, so my wet traction experience was limited to a couple of times just after they were installed. I was pleased, but didn't really push them.

Had the deal on the Goodyears not be available, I was looking into the Contis recommended up-thread.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:51 PM
Make it #7!

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts
Is anyone going with a wider tire on the OEM rims and if so, what's the widest you can go and what's the advantage of going wider? Thanks
Old 08-02-2015, 08:26 PM
Stay Out Of the Left Lane

Received 1,236 Likes on 1,023 Posts
The advantage of wider is larger contact patch for increased stability and road handling. Keep in mind, this is somewhat offset by lower fuel economy and higher acquisition cost.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:21 PM
Intermediate

Received 39 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 2014RDX
Just replaced the OEM Michelin's after 52,000. Got the Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus. Initial review is whisper quiet and a slightly better ride. Haven't gotten the chance yet to run it thorough hard corners, but very impressive so far, and a great deal from Tire Rack. Took them to the local Mr. Tire and had them installed for $20 each.
We just put the Scorpion Verdes on our car, and I'd call them a big upgrade over the Michelins. I believe the "Plus" is the new generation of this tire, so for anyone buying, make sure you know what you're getting (the prior generation is still out there).

These tires are a major improvement in handling over the Michelins. We've been on several mountain runs here in AZ through some high-speed corners that made me pucker on the Michelins, but now feel confidence-inspiring. Steering response is much better, feedback is much better, there's less squirm, etc. I'd chalk some of that up to the XL load rating and a generally stiffer sidewall than the MXM4. We find them quiet, and we haven't noted a change in gas mileage. I'd say that there's a tiny increase in harshness over pavement seams and whatnot, but nothing to be concerned about.

And at $155'ish each, they are a bargain compared to the OEMs.
Old 08-21-2015, 12:27 AM
J37A5

Decided on the Bridgestone Dueler H/L Alenza Plus P245/60/18 for the 2013 AWD RDX after extensive research and back and forth. I could probably make it to December on the current MXM4 tire but don't want my wife driving on the last 32nd's in the Nebraska winter. Will post my feedback after putting a few hundred miles on'em.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:34 PM
J37A5

Will be one year on 9/4/15 that I picked her up in KC with 17,400 miles. Now almost 33,000. Man we drive a lot.....which is why we wanted this one....
Old 01-31-2016, 09:28 AM
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wish I had joined this forum sooner.

Sorry if this was asked before on another site but once you change from the OEM Michelin wheels to another btand, do you still continue to follow the recommended psi on the door sticker? I ask because I just got new tires and the dealer inflated mine to well over the Acura recommended psi.
Old 01-31-2016, 10:00 AM
Pro

Received 109 Likes on 87 Posts
Originally Posted by LoneRogue
Wish I had joined this forum sooner.

Sorry if this was asked before on another site but once you change from the OEM Michelin wheels to another btand, do you still continue to follow the recommended psi on the door sticker? I ask because I just got new tires and the dealer inflated mine to well over the Acura recommended psi.
Yes, use PSI setting on door post, and set when cold.
The following users liked this post:
LoneRogue (01-31-2016)
Old 03-13-2016, 06:39 PM
Instructor

Has anyone put wider tires on their RDX?

I was thinking of getting 255/55/18 tires and putting them on the stock rims (I like the Advance stock rims).

Anyone do this to their RDX?
Old 09-16-2016, 01:45 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It seems that the OEM Michelin Primacy MXM's are either not make any more, or are very hard to find now.

Which tires have people found are good from the point of view of road quietness, and reasonably soft ride compared to the OEM Michelins?