2018 RDX Quality and Fit (noise) Issues

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 01:42 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2018 RDX Quality and Fit (noise) Issues

Hi,
I recently purchased brand new 2018 RDX base. Within 3 weeks of driving the brand new car, I had steering wheel ticking noise issue. I've gone to the dealership and this issue has been partially addressed.
I am now having clunk noise from rear suspension as well as brake squeaking noise when I apply brake lightly at low speed. I noticed all of these issues were known issues since 2013 model. I found the technical service bulletins released for 2017 RDX for these issues e.g. for brake noise, brake pad should be replaced with new one with chamfer on one side and for clunk noise, bushing rubber should be replaced. It's surprising to see these issues persist through 2018 RDX. Does anyone have 2018 RDX and experienced these kind of poor quality control issues? Regarding brake noise, foes anyone know if 2018 RDX uses the same brake pad as 2017 model? This is very stressful and frustrating.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:13 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by leemso
Hi,
I recently purchased brand new 2018 RDX base. Within 3 weeks of driving the brand new car, I had steering wheel ticking noise issue. I've gone to the dealership and this issue has been partially addressed.
I am now having clunk noise from rear suspension as well as brake squeaking noise when I apply brake lightly at low speed. I noticed all of these issues were known issues since 2013 model. I found the technical service bulletins released for 2017 RDX for these issues e.g. for brake noise, brake pad should be replaced with new one with chamfer on one side and for clunk noise, bushing rubber should be replaced. It's surprising to see these issues persist through 2018 RDX. Does anyone have 2018 RDX and experienced these kind of poor quality control issues? Regarding brake noise, foes anyone know if 2018 RDX uses the same brake pad as 2017 model? This is very stressful and frustrating.
We have a 2013 RDX and it has been a solid reliable car. Our other car is an Acura sedan that is a couple years older. What I have found in general is that the materials Acura is using seem to be getting cheaper. Most noticeably is the paint quality in the 2013 is markedly inferior to our older Acura. While still a fan of Acura and Honda products due to their historical reliability and resale value, I think they like most auto manufacturers are adding significant amounts of technology to their vehicles while attempting to take out costs as much as possible. Acura has a bit of middle child syndrome as they are not a mass market car nor are they a luxury brand and most of the service departments fall a bit below that of near luxury dealers.

Check your states lemon laws. If the same problem festers, many states have laws that give you significant leverage but unfortunately, most dealers won't respond without a formal letter from your attorney.
Old 11-28-2017, 11:51 AM
Administrator

Received 1,001 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since this is a topic/technical issue which will require replies, and not a "New Member Introduction", I moved this thread to the model specific forum.
Old 04-02-2018, 11:08 AM
8th Gear

Steering ticking noise

yes, we just bought a 2018 RDX Elite about a month ago and it had developed a ticking sound from the airbag area. Brought it in and thank god it made the sound when the mechanic was in the car with me. It would make the sound in low speeds and high speeds randomly.

The mechanic took off the steering components and fixed something - it doesn’t make the sound anymore but I notice that the space/gap between the airbag part of the steering wheel and the side plastic is not perfectly even. Annoying to a detailed oriented person.

Our second car is a bmw and I have none of these issues - really disappointed that on a last year model for the generation - you are getting really crappy quality control issues. A 2018 model should be flawless. It’s slightly stained our purchase and I keep the fingers crossed that the major mechanical systems live up to the Honda reputation. If not I’ll never buy another Honda product for life.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:35 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 390 Likes on 236 Posts
Originally Posted by leemso
Does anyone have 2018 RDX and experienced these kind of poor quality control issues?
On my 2017 RDX Elite, the only issue I have is the slight squeaking from the horn button. I'll get around to fixing that.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:12 PM
3rd Gear

I have noticed the clunk noise from rear suspension as well as brake squeaking noise when I apply brake lightly at low speed. This is seriously very annoying for brand new acura. Does this noise go away after a while?
Old 07-14-2018, 07:10 AM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For my 2018 RDX, I hear a humming noise when stopped at the traffic light. The noise sounds similar to the one in this YouTube link
https://youtu.be/iej6wjh9ORI

Anyone getting this noise? Wondering what is the cause of the noise.

Last edited by alert; 07-14-2018 at 07:21 AM.
Old 08-31-2018, 05:31 PM
2nd Gear

I got my 2018 RDX Elite around the end of April, since around 4,000 km I have been noticing a ticking noise coming from the bottom of the driver seat. I originally though it's coming from behind the dash, but a tech at the dealership pointed it out that the noise might be coming from the seat. So I recorded the following 2 videos by placing my phone under the driver seat. The noise is more obvious on a warmer day (20C +), and usually comes on after about 15-20 mins of driving.

Does anyone else have this issue?