Melting floor mats?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2012, 04:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Melting floor mats?

With my new RDX, in April, I purchased the OEM rubber floor mats (in black). With the hot summer in Cleveland, the front ones started developing a shiny look to them back in June. Now, they smell like burning oil when I park in the sun and are sticky (and still have a shiny look to them). I will take them back to the dealer next week for hopeful replacement, but was curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue besides me? Thanks.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:01 PM
Racer

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by gbrucken
With my new RDX, in April, I purchased the OEM rubber floor mats (in black). With the hot summer in Cleveland, the front ones started developing a shiny look to them back in June. Now, they smell like burning oil when I park in the sun and are sticky (and still have a shiny look to them). I will take them back to the dealer next week for hopeful replacement, but was curious if anyone else is experiencing this issue besides me? Thanks.
Mine are perfect. Do you park your RDX in the sun during the day? Mine stays in my garage except for trips, to the store, to the mountains, etc.

Regards, Jim
Old 07-28-2012, 07:30 PM
Intermediate

I do. Unfortunately, the parking lot at work doesn't feature any shade. I do park it in the garage at night, though. Maybe it hasn't helped that the temperature has been near 100 degrees many times this summer in the afternoons. However, I've had several TSX models before this and I've purchased the all-weather mats for each one. Never had this happen in any of them before.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:01 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,508 Likes on 1,176 Posts
I've had my OEM black floor mats in my TSX for 6 years and 2 years in my RDX with no problems in NM and with trips to AZ and NV. Hottest temps was 112 degrees in phoenix with the interior about 120-130 degrees with the windows up.

Is there a chance there is some type of coating or residue that might be causing the shiny look and smell in the heat?
Old 07-30-2012, 03:52 PM
Intermediate

I've had OEM Acura floor mats of various colors in the past and have had no issues. These seem a bit more flimsy than the ones that I had on my 2009 TSX, though. I am also watching the black, plastic trim on the door pillars turn gray (I did not apply any wax there...) so it's time to get all of these things fixed. Just made an appointment for Wed. afternoon to have them look at it. I can't imagine that the sun in Cleveland, Ohio is that strong, but who knows. Dealer says that they have to take pictures and send to Acura for warranty claim. If approved, they can have it fixed in a few days. If not, I'll pay for it and they'll have it fixed in a few days.
Old 08-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Intermediate

Just to close this out, the dealer did swap out the front mats without issue and replaced the side sashes as well. Very pleased with the prompt service.
Old 08-27-2012, 08:00 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by hawkeye62
Mine are perfect. Do you park your RDX in the sun during the day? Mine stays in my garage except for trips, to the store, to the mountains, etc.

Regards, Jim
dont park in the sun...its a car/acura...BS answer...take it back to the dealer asap...sounds like the mats are crap
Old 09-03-2017, 08:13 PM
Dedalus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a similar issue. Bought Acura OEM all-weather rubber floor mats in 2013 when we bought the RDX new. We didn't use them for all that time until about a year ago. Then we really liked just leaving them in there full time. I noticed what looked like spilled soda, perhaps. Took a few weeks until I could get them out and try to clean them with a few different types of soap, but nothing fixed it. So I'm guessing they are kind of melted or otherwise deteriorating. I really think the problem developed in the early spring or late winter--clearly not hot enough to cause "melting" I would say.
Mike Todd
Old 09-04-2017, 08:31 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Haven't had any trouble like this in 105° weather. If I can't park facing north, I use a sunshade. Also, all 4 door windows tinted. It sounds like there's a lot of variability in everyone's experiences.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:32 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have the OEM all weather mats in my 2018 - there is a slight oil or rubber smell to them. I expect it to dissipate after some time. Haven't had any issues with warmer weather - only been 71* F as the highest temp since I purchased.