Hello from Atlanta

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2017, 07:52 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Hello from Atlanta

Hey guys, The short of it is that i was in an accident that totaled my subaru (no fault) and i have bought a 2015 Acura RDX. Hoping to learn alot and enjoy the vehicle.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:07 PM
Advanced

Also guys, could you point me in the right direction for maintenance intervals for this engine, Currently have 48k miles on the car. Timing belt/ water pump years/miles My vehicle didnt come with a manual.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:13 PM
Administrator

Received 1,002 Likes on 572 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Since this is a technical issue and also a "New Member Introduction" thread, and I believe it is more important for you to get answers for your questions, I moved this thread to the appropriate subsection so you can hopefully get more help.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:23 AM
Racer

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
You can download the manual here.

https://www.acura.ca/owners/manuals

The manual does not give you the intervals. Maintenance requirements pop up on your instrument panel as they occur, on the "Maintenance Minder".

The quick and dirty:

Oil: about every 15000 km if you use synthetic....the Maintenance Minder oil life indication (at least on my RDX) is based on usage of synthetic and how aggressively you drive as well as , of course, mileage.

transmission fluid drain/refill approx. every 28,000 MILES (not km) . I can't comment on the other stuff, other than my transfer case oil came up somewhere around 84,000 km and it was the 2nd time it has come up, so I think it;s done at the same time as the transmission fluid.
The following users liked this post:
auskip07 (04-23-2017)
Old 04-23-2017, 04:06 PM
Advanced

im a little shocked at the frequency of the transmission fluid. Since im a FWD model do i have a transfer case? I bought it used from a honda dealership so everything should be taken care of atleast immediately. I also plan on stopping by the service department and having them check my VIN for the air bag module recall
Old 04-23-2017, 04:08 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by auskip07
im a little shocked at the frequency of the transmission fluid. Since im a FWD model do i have a transfer case? I bought it used from a honda dealership so everything should be taken care of atleast immediately. I also plan on stopping by the service department and having them check my VIN for the air bag module recall

i hope this vehicle last me a long time. I did rush into the purchase since the insurance company is taking my rental away this weekend so i wasnt as prepared for what i found when searching used vehicles.
Old 04-23-2017, 06:42 PM
Racer

Don't assume the dealer changed all the fluids. I bought mine used and upon changing the tranny fluid and transfer case fluid myself (as per the maintenance minder) I found the old fluids to be quite dark (especially the transfer case fluid) making me wonder if they changed the fluids like they said they did (when the previous owner brought the vehicle in for scheduled maintenance)...the only thing they did when prepping the vehicle for re-sale was change the oil, it looked brand new when I checked it)
FWD does not have a transfer case or rear differential. The transmission fluid drain/fill process only replaces a portion of all the fluid in the transmission. There is a TSB here (link below) that kinda talks about how the tranny fluid deteriorates quicker than expected. But dont get all up in arms. The RDX is a good vehicle, you made a very good choice and if you had next to no time to research a vehicle, you got lucky in your choice.
You can drain/refill the tranny yourself, you dont even need to get under the car, since the drain plug is just behind the front bumper.
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B17-017.PDF
Old 04-24-2017, 02:23 PM
Advanced

Ok guys i got a history report on the car let me know what you think ill leave out the frivolous things from the history report
8,028 oil and filter change. tires rotated,
14,898, oil change, tires rotated
21,571, oil change tires rotated
29,766, oil change, cabin filter, trans fluid changed, tires rotated
37,249, oil change, tires rotated
43,621, left airbag assembly replaced
45,170, Oil and filter changed, Tires rotated, Wiper(s) replaced
48,529, Oil and filter changed. preped for sale.

Looks pretty good so far, tires didnt look like they had 48k on them. Im not super concerned about the oil change intervals. i usually follow a very strict 5k synthetic schedule for my personal vehicles since i do it myself.
Old 04-24-2017, 03:53 PM
Racer

Looks good to me. My Acura dealer also did brake inspections on most of those . Your next maintenance minder message (service required) will indicate an A3 service is due which is of course oil change but also trans fluid. This will pop up when your oil life gets down to 10% or something like that.

Since you do oil changes yourself, buy 4 quarts of Honda DW-1 transmission fluid (same as Acura fluid) and a long neck funnel (I used a small funnel with a 12" length of 3/4" flexible hose. A drain and refill requires about 3.3 quarts. I found the fluid was a bit cheaper at the Acura dealer than the nearest Honda dealer. Was around 10 bucks USD per bottle.

Last edited by Skidoor; 04-24-2017 at 03:55 PM.
The following users liked this post:
auskip07 (04-24-2017)
Old 04-26-2017, 08:31 PM
Advanced

Here you go guys, Not perfect in fact the back cargo area plastic is decently beat up on the door in certain places and the body has some scratches. But hey i plan on keeping it a long time so i dont expect to sell it.
Brakes squeel at low speeds, so ill be looking at the brakes closely i may just throw a set of pads on it and see if that helps.

installing my V1 and looking at fitting my existing YAKIMA rack on top this weekend.