Crooked Steering Wheel

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2014, 02:03 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Crooked Steering Wheel

I noticed a while back that when I'm driving my steering wheel is turned a few degrees to the right. Not much, but noticeable. If I drive with the wheel exactly straight the car drifts to the left.

So two weeks ago I paid for an alignment at the dealer hoping it will solve the problem, but it was still the same. Then I took the car back again the following week, they checked again, and said maybe its a wheel pulling the car to the left. They rotated the tires, and nothing changed.

After the second alignment I noticed the base of the steering wheel was not lined up with the dash. It's slightly crooked as shown in this picture:

Crooked Steering Wheel-img_1894c.jpg

Then while driving I noticed that if I line up the wheel to the crooked base the car goes straight. So I dont think it's a problem with the wheels. I think the steering wheel itself is crooked. Then I remember last year I had a ticking sound inside the wheel and the dealer took it apart to find the problem. I'm thinking maybe they didnt put it back correctly?

I brought the car back to the dealer and explained this to them. They kept it for 3 days and said they found something wrong with the steering subframe and they fixed it. When I got the car I noticed the steering wheel base is still crooked, and the car still drifts left when I straighten the wheel. Nothing was fixed.

I'm thinking this problem is specific to my car, but does anyone else have a crooked steering wheel base?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:18 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Does the whole molding turn with your wheel?
Old 03-03-2014, 02:20 PM
Instructor

No it's fixed. The TL loaner I had last week has the same steering wheel. The base was perfectly straight on that.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
This should have been a simple 30 minute fix (test drive included).
When explanations include the word "maybe", I start to worry.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:58 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Ottoman...I saw another thread where someone had the exact problem as yours (this is your first post on this correct?)....I will try and find it for you.

I found it:

https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-rdx-2013-2018-404/steering-wheel-tilt-issue-902532/

Last edited by weather; 03-03-2014 at 07:02 PM.
Old 03-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
Ottoman...I saw another thread where someone had the exact problem as yours (this is your first post on this correct?)....I will try and find it for you.

I found it:

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902532
Thanks. Yes that's the same problem I'm having, and others claim to have the same issue there. So it's not just me.

I'm wondering if it might just be the plastic cover that is crooked. I'm going to try to play around with it and see if I can loosen some screws and readjust it.

It still doesn't answer why I have to drive with my steering wheel tilted right though.
Old 03-04-2014, 02:51 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 268 Likes on 202 Posts
Originally Posted by ottoman101
No it's fixed. The TL loaner I had last week has the same steering wheel. The base was perfectly straight on that.
If the base is fixed then why did you think an alignment would fix it? Its a problem with the molding. Take it off, put it on and just readjust the plastic trim.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by d1sturb3d119
If the base is fixed then why did you think an alignment would fix it? Its a problem with the molding. Take it off, put it on and just readjust the plastic trim.
I didnt realize the base was crooked until after the 2nd alignment.

When I line up the steering wheel to the crooked base, the car goes straight. That's why I suspected the entire steering assembly might be crooked. If it is just the plastic molding then I can fix the asthetic problem.

But still the steering wheel will not be straight when I'm driving.

I dont want to take the car to the dealer service a 4th time. I've contacted Acura Client Care about it and they left me a message. I have to call them back and hear what they say.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:30 PM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,277 Likes on 952 Posts
Don't obsess about the trim piece. That just muddies the issue and most are a bit crooked. Focus on the steering wheel. If the car doesn't pull in one direction when on a perfectly flat road then the alignment is probably OK and the wheel just wasn't centered when they did the original alignment at the factory and didn't bother fixing it at the dealership alignment.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
I dont want to take the car to the dealer service a 4th time. I've contacted Acura Client Care about it and they left me a message. I have to call them back and hear what they say.
In another thread, you mentioned you've ordered a Porsche to replace your RDX. I'm a little curious as to why you continue to pursue this issue with Acura. Seems like you could let this one go.

Last edited by davisinla; 03-05-2014 at 08:20 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:11 AM
Instructor

Letting it go crossed my mind, but I have a dilema. I commute 50 miles a day to work and dont want to put all those miles on the Porsche. So I might keep the RDX to split the miles. Plus I paid for 8 year/120k extended warrantee, although they told me I can get my money back since I'm still in the standard warrantee period.

Another (not so thrilling) option is to sell the RDX and lease a plug-in hybrid electric car, and use that for the daily commute. The way I figure, I'll be saving the $450 a month I spend on gas and that money can go towards the lease. It's close to breaking even. Plus there's a tax break. Plus I can ride the HOV lane alone and get around the traffic.

Whatever, the Porsche comes the week of May 26. I'll cross that bridge when I get there.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:01 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
Letting it go crossed my mind, but I have a dilema. I commute 50 miles a day to work and dont want to put all those miles on the Porsche.
No offense, but besides all the problems you've had with your RDX, you've complained in other threads about the features it was lacking. So you decide to purchase a Porsche (which, presumably, will have all the features and quality you want) to "replace" it, but you are considering NOT using it for your daily commute?

I speak (er, write) with a little experience here. For eight years, my daily commute was 55 miles EACH WAY, racking up nearly 30,000 miles a year. When I did so, I wanted to be in the most comfortable, safest vehicle I could afford at the time.

Obviously YMMV. But if you decide to keep the RDX, I guess it can't be all that bad after all.

And hopefully you will not become as familiar with the Porsche service department as you are with Acura's.
Old 03-24-2014, 07:44 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did you get any feedback from Acura client care? My 2013 rdx has the same issue, which is extremely annoying to me. I have to constantly fight with the steering wheel and feel that I can not control the car some times.

Please advise if you get any updates from Acura or if you have this issue fixed?

I didnt realize the base was crooked until after the 2nd alignment.

When I line up the steering wheel to the crooked base, the car goes straight. That's why I suspected the entire steering assembly might be crooked. If it is just the plastic molding then I can fix the asthetic problem.

But still the steering wheel will not be straight when I'm driving.

Old 03-26-2014, 09:36 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by bluelili2000
Did you get any feedback from Acura client care? My 2013 rdx has the same issue, which is extremely annoying to me. I have to constantly fight with the steering wheel and feel that I can not control the car some times.

Please advise if you get any updates from Acura or if you have this issue fixed?
They contacted me on Monday and said to just bring it back to the dealer again...for the 4th time. I still have to make the appointment.

It's obvious the dealer doesnt know how to fix it so it feels like a waste of my time. After everytime they attempted to fix it I was told the steering wheel was now straight when I picked up. Then I drive a few miles and its exactly the same.

If it ever gets fixed I'll post it.
Old 03-26-2014, 01:46 PM
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for the updates.
I will go to my local dealer to see if they know how to fix it.
Will keep posting the progresses.

They contacted me on Monday and said to just bring it back to the dealer again...for the 4th time. I still have to make the appointment.

It's obvious the dealer doesnt know how to fix it so it feels like a waste of my time. After everytime they attempted to fix it I was told the steering wheel was now straight when I picked up. Then I drive a few miles and its exactly the same.

If it ever gets fixed I'll post it.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:57 AM
Instructor

So I dropped my RDX off at dealer service last week. They said it's out of alignment....after they aligned it three times already. This time they wanted to charge me for another alignment. I basically said screw you. I already paid for an alignment that was never satisfied. Acura Client Care was no help, and they are taking the dealers side.

Long story short...I'm getting rid of this car once my new one arrives. The new RDX has been nothing but a hassle since day one. It'll be decades before I even think about buying another Acura. Best of luck to all.