Adaptive Cruise Not Very Sensitive

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 10:26 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adaptive Cruise Not Very Sensitive

Just got my 2016 RDX Advance a month ago and really like it. There is no perfect auto so I have found few nits to pick. One though is the lazy way the Adaptive Cruise operates. If I am set at 65 mph and get slowed by the cruise to follow a slower vehicle I may change lanes and accelerate with the pedal then just let up after passing and returning to my lane. The cruise then lags maybe 5 mph to 60 before deciding it needs to get back to 65. Then may shift down to 5th and go harder than necessary. If I feather back to 65 from my passing with the pedal, the cruise won't just pick up at 65, it lags the same way. I have a 2014 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid that has a much more responsive Adaptive Cruise and never had a problem like this. Anyone else noticed tardy behavior with their RDX?
Old 03-01-2016, 09:22 AM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 18 Posts
As long as you are providing input to the computer by touching either the brake or accelerator pedals, you are over riding the automatic functions of the system.

The system is recovering from your input, not lagging on its assignment.
The following users liked this post:
gemdc (03-01-2016)
Old 03-01-2016, 02:41 PM
4th Gear

I think touching the brake just cancels cruise and you have to touch resume. Assuming you don't touch the brake, it seems the adaptive cruise should be resuming your set speed once you change lanes and should keep up with the drivers acceleration rather than dropping back to the speed of the slow vehicle you are passing. My RDX seems to drop back to the slow vehicle's speed even though you have changed lanes and passed. I am thinking the set button is going to be necessary to reclaim your desired speed. My Lincoln handles the slow down, accelerate, and automatic resume just fine. Just wondered if anyone else has noticed this with their Acura to know if this is "normal"?
Old 03-02-2016, 11:29 AM
4th Gear

OK - I guess I have to retract my criticism of the RDX Adaptive Cruise for now. Today when I tried to duplicate what I had observed a couple weeks ago, I couldn't get it to show a problem. I set on 70 and approached a truck going 62 and the cruise slowed to match. I pressed the accelerator to gain speed to help match speed in other lane and changed lanes getting back to 70 on accelerator and changing back into the right lane. The cruise picked up at 70 as it should. Tried same thing a couple times and it worked fine. Also found that when entering the Interstate after exiting I could hold the accelerator and hit resume and prevent the cruise from forcing a downshift and wasting gas. It picked up without problem or downshift when I released the accelerator at 70. My previous problems could have been triggered by heavy traffic in both lanes and the radar getting locked on other vehicles. So, will close this out for now. Thanks