2014 RDX Transmission shudder (judder) not fixed after second attempt.

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 12:11 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2014 RDX Transmission shudder (judder) not fixed after second attempt.

My 2014 RDX FWD first developed the known transmission shudder with shifts between 3 and 4rd at about 21000 miles. I had the Acura TSB three transmission fluid flush but the shudder returned after about a week. I then had the transmission fluid flush completed again which included the now available software update. I will be now bringing in the car to have the service department obtain data on the shifting which will be sent to Acura for evaluation as to what to do next. I was wondering who has had their transmission replaced in their RDX and did it fix the problem? I was told that the flush usually works to fix the shudder and that transmission replacement is rare.

Thanks!
Old 07-31-2017, 02:00 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
I don't think they'll replace the transmission, but I do think it's possible they'll replace your torque converter.
Old 07-31-2017, 09:32 PM
Intermediate

Thanks Beak14. I'll know next week.
Old 08-10-2017, 08:00 PM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So, what's the word. Your tranny, changed fixed??
Old 08-10-2017, 08:24 PM
Intermediate

Car is still at dealership. Today I was told that there may have been a computer glitch when they attempted to load the updated transmission software fix last time. Car appears to be shifting without the shudder now. They want to hold it for several more days to make sure.
Old 08-11-2017, 03:10 AM
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Interesting!

Well, please update, as these threads (in my opinion) help to educate others, who might be going thru what you're going thru.

Anyway, I wish you the best! Hopefully, this will be resolved, quick-like, right? Good luck!
Old 08-11-2017, 09:26 AM
Cruisin'

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Can someone explain what 'judder' feels like? My brand new 2017 (350 miles) feels like there's a subtle bump or hesitation on some shifts. Especially coasting downshifts or mild acceleration.
The following users liked this post:
Kenkanif (08-01-2023)
Old 08-11-2017, 12:15 PM
Intermediate

Hi Beak14: Will do and thanks. The dealership's service department have been great. I have been VERY impressed. I am hopeful that the issue has been permanently fixed. Being very mechanically inclined (cars, boats and planes) the source of the problem interests me. The thought of having to remove the transmission is not appealing.

SilverRDX2017: The "judder" or "shudder" for me is a very sensation of going over a grated pavement. It basically is a shudder. It only occurs in my RDX when shifting through 3rd gear to 4th. It does vary in intensity. I have had no problems during down shifting. The dealership has provided me with a 2017 RDX with the advanced package as a loaner. It shifts perfectly.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:39 PM
Intermediate

Well got my 2014 RDX back after a week in an attempt to fix the shudder/judder problem when shifting from 3rd to 4th gear. This was he third attempt. The first time was a 3-flush procedure....the shudder came back after about four days of driving. The second attempt was when Acura came out with the transmission software update. That did no fix the problem. I dropped off the car for what I thought was to take a transmission data snapshot. They found that the software update was not being recognized by the car processor. They re-updated the software and rode tested the car for about 30 miles. The mechanic concluded that the shudder was gone. I picked up my car and within a mile I noticed that the shudder, while greatly reduced, was still apparent during "normal" acceleration. One difference was that when heavily accelerating, the shudder would disappear. Previously, when heavily accelerating, the shudder would sometimes be very apparent. The process has been frustrating but the dealership have been doing their best to diagnose/fix the problem without tearing down he car to change out the torque converter. I will be bring back the car and drive the car while the mechanic takes a "snapshot" of the computer shifting data. With the shudder, while reduced in intensity, there is still a concern of the actual long-term reliability and durability of my transmission. Still love my RDX!
Old 08-28-2017, 02:22 PM
tal
Advanced

I had this issue on my 2013 Acura RDX. I had this TSB done to eliminate the judder:

TSB 14-001 - Vibration at Highway Speeds During VCM Operation
Applies To: 2013 RDX - AWD - ALL
2014 RDX - AWD - From VIN 5J8TB4...EL000001 thru 5J8TB4...EL019936
http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B14-001.PDF
http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/B14-001.PDF
Old 09-29-2017, 09:59 PM
Intermediate

What really frustrates me is that Acura sells RDXs (and other models) which have either defective TC or transmissions. I am going to take a big hit when I have to sell it.....22,000 miles! Every time the transmission judders, I wonder if this is when it will fail I would like a full refund minus mileage deduction but that wont ever happen. What a shame, automatic transmissions have been manufactured for almost 100 years.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:21 PM
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you think it would be the vcm? The pilot, oddsey, ridgeline all have the vcm vibration and causing the piston ring fail, failing the spark plug. Disable the vcm could temporally fix that. I have the honda pilot and I could feel the vibration when vcm kick in, the heistation try to get out of vcm.

But again I heard acura have better design and the vcm program, the active engine mount are better than Honda's. My rdx is only 2k miles, I could feel the hesitation during the city drive, but not the vibration when vcm kick in. I search this forum but I don't see many people discuss about disabling the vcm.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:08 AM
Intermediate

I suspect that my problem is with the torque converter. Appears the the TSB (fluid flush and software upgrade is suppose to fix the problem. Dealership is trying to obtain a good "snap shot" of the transmission when it shudders to determine the source of the problem. Its been almost two weeks and still waiting to hear back from dealer. My 2017 RDX loaner doesn't have the problem (at least not yet). Still love the car bit will sell if problem not resolved. It ruins the pleasure of owning.
Old 10-24-2017, 07:39 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I have had the same shudder with moderate to heavy acceleration for years now, with no fix. Happens to me all the way through second gear. They have replaced the propeller shaft, torque converter and the rear end, plus the transmission software update and changing of fluids three times. It's back in the shop now with the technician telling me he can't duplicate the problem!

It's a 2013 RDX with 52,000 miles. Because of all the driveline problems I've had, I got an extended warranty, but I'll unload this lemon long before it runs out. No more Acuras for me.
The following users liked this post:
freddie carr (11-14-2020)
Old 10-24-2017, 10:05 PM
Intermediate

After being at the dealer for two weeks. I was told that now the mechanic can't obtain a convincible snapshot when it shudders. They will not forward the problem to Acura Customer Relations. It as if they are afraid to do it. I have heard two different versions since getting the call yesterday. I have three flushes and two software update. (This was the 4th visit to the dealer). I know that the transmission shudder will be there when I pick up the car tomorrow. I am now getting disgusted. I guess I'll now have to open up a case file with Acura Client Relations.
Old 11-23-2017, 12:25 AM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I also noticed the shutter on my wife's car after driving it a few days. Typical symptoms, seems like it happens from the 2-3 and 3-4 upshifts. There is a TSB to first do the software update, then flush ATF, and finally replace the TC if nothing else works.

Probably will be doing some more research and making an appointment in the coming weeks to address the issue.

Here's a PDF of the TSB I found

http://techinfo.honda.com/Rjanisis/p...nu/B17-017.PDF
Old 11-23-2017, 09:01 AM
Intermediate

I suspect that many RDX owners don't realize that it is a problem or just live with it. The RDX is a great SUV. From my viewpoint, I paid almost $40K with tax for a "premium SUV". The judder at any level (intensity) is simply not acceptable. I have been in contact with Acura Client Relations.and now they are getting the service records from the dealership to review my concerns. Again, it would much easier if I didn't like my RDX! Frustrating at best but I still hold out hope for a fix. Dealership has been supportive. Reading that the problem still exists even after changing out the torque converter is not making me more confident that a permanent solution is available. I wounder if Acura quietly corrected the transmission problem in the 2018 model year? I heard that the 2019 RDX will have a new engine (4 cylinder turbo) and a CVT.

Tegraphile, what year is your wife's RDX and how many miles are on it? Thanks!
Old 11-26-2017, 12:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Plantman4
Tegraphile, what year is your wife's RDX and how many miles are on it? Thanks!
It's a 2014 with about 43K miles on it. I'll be making an appointment for this week and bring a copy of the TSB with me so that can address it quickly.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:09 PM
Racer

They have finally fixed the problem and it turned out to be coming from both CV joints.
Old 11-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dutchml
They have finally fixed the problem and it turned out to be coming from both CV joints.
Glad to hear.

I dropped mine off this morning. I went for a ride with a head tech. Of course, the problems were less sever and frequent on the test drive, which had me worried that he might not say anything was wrong. But after a 10 minutes drive, he agreed there was a jerk in the shifting and explained the process that it would need a software update and ATF changed. He referred to it as a "judder", which gives me confidence he knows the TSB and will see it through.

The only other issue that might come up is the ATF change. The car has 43K, but the maintenance minder never came up for a change, so I don't know they will put me on the hook for the cost, even though it states do it in the TSB and the car is under original and CPO warranty. Can I assumed pre-mature lubricant failure is a warranty issue?

They said they need to run some more diagnostics and they'll call me with an update.
Old 11-30-2017, 09:54 AM
Advanced

Well, I had a very good experience with the dealership (Acura of Pleasanton). I called in the afternoon and they said they had completed the initial repairs by updating the software and completing a ATF flush (though I think they likely meant drain and fill). I also mentioned a squeak coming from the rear end, to which they replaced both rear shocks. All work was done under warranty.

They said to drive it a few hundred miles to let the TCU adjust and let them know.

Pretty hassle free process and happy I have the original and CPO warranty to cover me for a few more years. My SA was friendly and informative throughout the process.
Old 12-07-2017, 04:02 PM
Cruisin'

I just had my 2014 rdx awd for the exact same issue today. Tech duplicated the vibration and performed the software update and 10 qts of trans fluid flush. I just drove it home and after a few minutes, vibration is still here. Heading back again tomorrow for another drive with the tech. Let me know if anyone gets theirs resolved
Old 12-07-2017, 10:11 PM
Intermediate

Good luck. I had mine flushed on three different times and the update performed twice. Although the judder is less, it is still there which is totally unacceptable. My hopes have faded.
Old 12-11-2017, 08:44 PM
Racer

Have them check the CV joints. I had the same problem for two years with shuddering and all the updates and flushing in the world made no difference until the left and right constant velocity joints were replaced.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:01 PM
Cruisin'

Vibration issues not fixed after second visit. Their master tech stated the VCM is causing the vibration and there was nothing they can do to minimize it. When coasting or maintaining speed ~40mpg, vcm drop from 6 cylinder to 3 cylinder. This is why the vibration is happening and because this is federal regulated, there nothing for them to adjust/fix.

let me know what you guys think
Old 12-20-2017, 10:35 AM
Pro

Received 133 Likes on 101 Posts
Federally regulated? Really? I don't think so.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:26 PM
Instructor

I'm going through this filthy judder issue with a '13 RDX with 49K miles. It just started happening within the last 1K miles. Happens with light acceleration around 1,500rpm, between 20-50mph. Feel like you hit grooved pavement for a few seconds. I've done the TSB that requires a software update and 3x transmission flush. It did nothing. I then googled the hell out of this issue and came across many threads pointing at the problem-plagued VCM feature of our engines. I have followed the "diagnosis" procedure listed in yet this other TSB here, which is to disable the VCM feature. Lo and behold, it stopped the judder. I'm now looking at third-party hacks like the S-VCM Controller or VCMuzzler to disable the damn thing. It seems like all other fixes / TSBs take care of replacing parts that have already been partially damaged by having this feature go on and off. Seems like these fixes only suppress the vibrations and potentially delay more serious damage. I'd rather suffer a loss in MPG than face costly repairs down the road.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:14 PM
Intermediate

RDX Transmission Shudder: Final Posting

From my earlier posts above, you know with my 2014 RDX, I went through the transmission fluid flushings on three separate visits to the dealership and also two different software updates. All this did was reduce the intensity of the judder when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I wrote a detailed (not combative) letter to Acura Client Relations. I met with the District/Zone Manager and had a long discussion. The transmission judder problem involves its sensitivity to changes in transmission fluid viscosity. The reality is that Acura has been consumed by transmission quality problems for years now. This has hurt the brand (and now me). Well, Acura approved taking another data snapshot of the transmission shifting and during the holiday informed me that its not the transmission and that it is functioning "normally". The judder occur at exactly the same shift point and then stops as it shifts up. I am convinced it is indeed the transmission. Other owners have reported that completing the TSB procedure just decreases the intensity of the judder. BTW mine is FWD. We have owned 6 Hondas and never had a problem. Every time my RDX shifted I was reminded of Acura's (Honda's) poor engineering. On December 30th, I traded it in and purchased a 2018 BMW X3. Sadly, with the exception of the #$%$ transmission I loved my RDX! Thank you Acura....but never again.Now when I stop at a traffic light and look over and an RDX is next to me I wonder if that one has the judder! Not an ideal situation.:-(

Happy New Year to All!
Old 01-09-2018, 03:59 PM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
From my earlier posts above, you know with my 2014 RDX, I went through the transmission fluid flushings on three separate visits to the dealership and also two different software updates. All this did was reduce the intensity of the judder when shifting from 2nd to 3rd. I wrote a detailed (not combative) letter to Acura Client Relations. I met with the District/Zone Manager and had a long discussion. The transmission judder problem involves its sensitivity to changes in transmission fluid viscosity. The reality is that Acura has been consumed by transmission quality problems for years now. This has hurt the brand (and now me). Well, Acura approved taking another data snapshot of the transmission shifting and during the holiday informed me that its not the transmission and that it is functioning "normally". The judder occur at exactly the same shift point and then stops as it shifts up. I am convinced it is indeed the transmission. Other owners have reported that completing the TSB procedure just decreases the intensity of the judder. BTW mine is FWD. We have owned 6 Hondas and never had a problem. Every time my RDX shifted I was reminded of Acura's (Honda's) poor engineering. On December 30th, I traded it in and purchased a 2018 BMW X3. Sadly, with the exception of the #$%$ transmission I loved my RDX! Thank you Acura....but never again.Now when I stop at a traffic light and look over and an RDX is next to me I wonder if that one has the judder! Not an ideal situation.:-(

Happy New Year to All!
Interesting. I have suffered through a similar experience with our 16 FWD RDX. It has had issues for the entire 42k we have driven it. I put some of it on the VCM system. Most say it is imperceptible. I think I can tell you every time it activates. Over the past few months, the roughness during shifting seems to have worsened. Some days it is really bad and other times it is perfect. We took it in Monday for a look as we want the issue documented and they did the expected flush and software update. Like you, I fear this is just a band-aid to get the car out of warranty. I am concerned about the longevity of the tranny. Strangely enough the X3 is on our short list too. I can tell you one thing, Acura will not be our list anytime soon when looking for a new car.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:46 PM
Intermediate

Hi chkdrv,

After seven months I got tired of experiencing the judder and constantly driving 162 miles round trip to the dealership in an attempt to fix it. Vibrations from the VCM, torque converters or defective propeller shafts....etc......."luxury cars should not do this! I have had my BMW X3 for less than two weeks and I am very satisfied. Its a distinct step up from the RDX but so is the price! :-( Satisfaction comes with a price. Time will tell. After owning many Hondas, my Acura experience has now left a very bad taste in my mouth. Their (Honda's) engineers (and component manufacturers) really messed up a good thing (for me).
Old 01-11-2018, 04:31 PM
Instructor

Hi chkdrv,

After seven months I got tired of experiencing the judder and constantly driving 162 miles round trip to the dealership in an attempt to fix it. Vibrations from the VCM, torque converters or defective propeller shafts....etc......."luxury cars should not do this! I have had my BMW X3 for less than two weeks and I am very satisfied. Its a distinct step up from the RDX but so is the price! :-( Satisfaction comes with a price. Time will tell. After owning many Hondas, my Acura experience has now left a very bad taste in my mouth. Their (Honda's) engineers (and component manufacturers) really messed up a good thing (for me).

I sympathize with you. If I paid for a brand new car and had to go through so much trouble getting an issue diagnosed without a fix, I'd never go back to the brand either. The RDX I own was bought 2nd hand after some research, and it checked off a lot of things on our list. I've never owned a brand new car and I probably never will even though we can afford it. It's a financial choice. I've had nothing but a positive experience with my 2005 Acura TSX which I still drive to date with 170K miles. So the Acura brand still has a good taste in my mouth. I realize that quality is not comparable anymore, and cars have gotten increasingly more complicated. All things considered, I will attempt to see if this judder (at least in my case) can be resolved with the VCM hack. If not, then we'll be considering our options down the line. It's difficult to find a 3-year-old near-luxury SUV in the price range that we like.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:58 AM
6th Gear

Anyone with this judder problem also have a VSA module failure? I took my 2014 69k mile RDX into dealer to fix the judder in Oct17. They performed the software update and flush. 3k miles later the VSA module fails. Dealership had the car for a week and ended up claiming the reason my VSA module died was someone (not them) had swapped multiple fuses. This makes no sense to me as it ran fine for nearly three months since they fixed the judder. I did however find the service bulletin for the judder fix which clearly states that if anything electric is activated during the software update, the VSA module can be damaged. I have a case open with Acura Client relations and I'd like to be as informed as possible for my next contact with them.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:32 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by formeracurafan
Anyone with this judder problem also have a VSA module failure? I took my 2014 69k mile RDX into dealer to fix the judder in Oct17. They performed the software update and flush. 3k miles later the VSA module fails. Dealership had the car for a week and ended up claiming the reason my VSA module died was someone (not them) had swapped multiple fuses. This makes no sense to me as it ran fine for nearly three months since they fixed the judder. I did however find the service bulletin for the judder fix which clearly states that if anything electric is activated during the software update, the VSA module can be damaged. I have a case open with Acura Client relations and I'd like to be as informed as possible for my next contact with them.
Just curious...do you have an update?
Old 03-23-2018, 02:03 PM
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
Look into S-VCM device to shut down your VCM. I am currently researching it for my 2014 RDX tech. So far I have been to Ridgeline and Odysee and Pilot forums. There, more people are swearing by the S-VCM tool. Just my 2cents.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:17 PM
6th Gear

Update

Dealer took no responsibilities. Acura Customer Relations came through and reimbursed all but $500. No admittance of faulty parts, etc just did so as an act of goodwill towards a loyal customer. I have plans to sell soon. Going back to a CVR.
Old 08-07-2018, 10:11 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by tegraphile
It's a 2014 with about 43K miles on it. I'll be making an appointment for this week and bring a copy of the TSB with me so that can address it quickly.
I just took my truck in this morning with the same. Did they put you on the hook for the trans flush cost?
Old 08-07-2018, 11:04 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by thebutcher5
I just took my truck in this morning with the same. Did they put you on the hook for the trans flush cost?
Warranty covered a transmission fluid change, software update, and new rear shocks. I went out with the tech and was worried the symptoms were too mild, but he agreed with the issue and took care of it.
Old 05-14-2019, 09:57 PM
1st Gear

I am a new member looking to replace an 01 Honda Odyssey with an 18 RDX and wondering about possible transmission problems. My Odyssey is now on it's 4th transmission in 198,000 miles. It seems from reading several threads on Acura transmissions that Honda continues to build inferior transmissions. As such, I will take my search for a new vehicle to a different manufacturer. Thanks for all the great info!
Old 05-15-2019, 04:30 PM
Pro

Received 149 Likes on 111 Posts
I do think these issues are related to VCM. Easy enough to disable, it's just that the dealer cannot do that. Honda got credit for Corp Average Fuel Economy from the EPA and cannot disable the VCM.
But you can and probably should. The fuel economy hit isn't even that great. Like an a single MPG.

By the way, the X-3 have some issues as well. The smaller engine has a plastic timing chain guide that breaks. The larger engine has a plastic part in the water pump that breaks. All vehicle have issues.
Old 05-16-2019, 06:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 2017 AWD RDX Advance just developed a sharp buck (I guess it’s a judder?) on my first trip of the day when shifting between 2nd and 3rd gears. Turning the car off and back on makes it go away, which leads me to believe it’s an electronics issue, but reading the entries here makes me feel like the updates may not help — and that scares me since my car is less than 2 1/2 years old and has less than 20K miles on it. I bought the car with the anticipation that I’d have it for a decade especially since it’s a luxury SUV, but I’ve been less than thrilled with the electronics and performance on my RDX. I’ve got a dealer appointment on Tuesday morning, we’ll see what they say.

Quick Reply: 2014 RDX Transmission shudder (judder) not fixed after second attempt.