13 RDX, a/c goes warm.

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 05:32 PM
7th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
13 RDX, a/c goes warm.

S/o was driving home earlier with cold air. Turned hot/warm somewhere on the way home. I got home about an hour later and it was blowing cold, pressures were reading normal. We then drove about 10 minutes away with cold air. On the way back after stopping for gas it went back to warm air.

First issue we've had with the car, it has just over 50k miles thus just outside warranty.. Both fans are on under the hood but doesnt look like the compressor clutch has kicked on while blowing warm air. I couldnt find any diagrams showing which relay does what to check them.

This is my 3rd Honda/Acura with a/c problems under 100k and is very disappointing
Old 08-17-2017, 06:46 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Interesting. We've had 3 RDXs with AC issues - 2007 with 86K miles, 2007 with 95K miles, and finally a 2017 with just 600 miles. I'm thinking maybe it's worth getting an extended warranty after all.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:27 PM
7th Gear

Was able to diagnose further. Both fans came on when a/c was requested so checked to see if the coil was getting signal.. it was. So the issue is either in the clutch or coil assy. Will dig into it further.
Old 08-22-2017, 09:13 PM
7th Gear

The clutch looked pretty smoked, couldnt get the coil to engage at all. I installed a new clutch and coil, good as new
Old 06-15-2019, 11:03 AM
7th Gear

Received a pm but their box is full. Heres my reply.

Originally Posted by genero89
AE_Racer,

I am currently having the exact same issue with my RDX and have come to the conclusion that the clutch and coil need replaced. It is fairly difficult to find info on this repair/procedure, as well as find parts. It seems that most people just replace the entire compressor. I would rather not open the system so I do not have to recharge it. I have listed a few questions below if you can help.

-Do you have any tips or tricks on how to go about this repair?
-Part numbers?

Thanks,

-Anthony

Hello,

The clutch was either really expensive or unavailable standalone from acura. I bought a full denso compressor from amazon (around $300 IIRC) and just swapped over the clutch itself.

I went on alldatadiy and purchased the rdx manual (it lets you use it for a period of time). I recall having to remove the radiator fans which required the front upper plastics being removed. This was to gain access to the compressor mounting bolts. There was some difficulty removing the clutch assembly even with the compressor loose but I was able to manage it. Not sure how much experience you have working on cars but it was a bit of a pain for me with some 16-17 years experience as a hobby.

let me know if you have any more questions and hopefully this helps.