CRV vs RDX

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CRV vs RDX

Hi Everyone,

I currently have a 2005 Acura TSX and looking to add a family car into the mix. Contemplating a new CRV or new RDX. I haven't done the touch/feel/drive with the RDX but wondering your take.

I really enjoy my TSX. I like how everything feels solid and owning an RSX and then TSX has made me appreciate this vs the lower end.

However i'm disappointed that Acura put things that seem to have been standard on base models only in tech. If I got a CRV it MUST be EX-L. The price it just over 30k. If I get the RDX, it would be the base which is around $6k more then the CRV.

The turn offs are the premium gas and the higher price. Also i'm hating that HID's are not in the base model and neither is the power liftgate. My TSX BASE even has HID's. Seems like they should be standard now.

What are your thoughts? Go to CRV or go to RDX for the extra approximately 6grand?
Old 06-17-2013, 03:29 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
First, welcome to the forum, I see you are relatively new here with the few posts you have on your belt

Second, you posted this in the "Photograph Gallery" section, which I am sure the moderators will move for you.

Finally, and the most important part...I agree that the RDX should have had a few more standard features. In Canada, fog lights, splash guards, AWD and HID are standard but already built into the price...you don't get nothing for free so for those to be standard in the US, the base price would have been more. I would have paid extra to get the passenger seat height adjustable, that is my biggest annoyance.

As far as quality, the RDX will feel more refined, the naturally aspired V6 is efficient and powerful, the best of both worlds with its VCM. There are a few quirks but if you can afford the RDX, don't hold back, especially being familiar with the Acura quality

Keep us posted
Old 06-17-2013, 11:33 PM
Instructor

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts
Hi there and welcome!

I was in your shoes 8 months ago.
Well I'm in the Acura RDX forums now and have no regrets with my base RDX FWD.

Here are some things that swung me towards the RDX:
1. The RDX runs regular gas. I drive 50-50 city hwy mix with regular and getting 23mpg. Yes there are plenty of discussion on this and I'm 100% certain running regular 87 oct on the J35Z2 engine in the RDX is fine with no perceptible performance difference in daily driving.
2. Did a DYI HID upgrade for only $125
3. Quieter & way more powerful
4. Love the keyless entry with linked memory seats, BT handsfree, better leather seats
5. Looks better IMO inside out (I added the wood trim package)
6. Better warranty & dealer service

Hope this helps you decide
Old 06-18-2013, 09:12 PM
Advanced

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hello and welcome

Before I purchased my RDX, I too looked at the CRV. I sat in a 2013 CR-V EX-L w/Nav and I felt it was too small. No power liftgate, a lack of power, and I felt cramped in the car in both the front and back seats. I'm 5' 9" and even with the seat lowered in the CRV, I almost hit my head on the roof. I test drove other 4 cylinder cars that had more power than the CRV.

If you are on the fence, test drive both, but once you sit / drive the RDX, your decision will be made.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:50 PM
Intermediate

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I bought the 2012 CRV EX-L when it first came out. The 2013 RDX wasn't out yet.

I liked the CRV just fine and it was nice that there weren't many of them on the road...yet. Here in Alaska, the AWD CRV is EVERYWHERE because of all the snow. The mileage was great (30 hwy for me). I probably would have kept it but the wife never liked the way it looked for some reason. I owned it for about 7 months.

The 2013 RDX came out and I drove it just for fun. Well, I am on the Acura forums now...

I look at it this way: The RDX is everything the CRV is but better and a little bigger. Bigger, better engine. More room. Nicer materials. Nicer sound system. Quieter. Everything is just nicer!

And now...the 2012/2013 CRV's are EVERYWHERE up here but I only see the RDX a couple of times a month around town.

Hope that helps.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:39 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dime5150
Hi Everyone,

I currently have a 2005 Acura TSX and looking to add a family car into the mix. Contemplating a new CRV or new RDX. I haven't done the touch/feel/drive with the RDX but wondering your take.

I really enjoy my TSX. I like how everything feels solid and owning an RSX and then TSX has made me appreciate this vs the lower end.

However i'm disappointed that Acura put things that seem to have been standard on base models only in tech. If I got a CRV it MUST be EX-L. The price it just over 30k. If I get the RDX, it would be the base which is around $6k more then the CRV.

The turn offs are the premium gas and the higher price. Also i'm hating that HID's are not in the base model and neither is the power liftgate. My TSX BASE even has HID's. Seems like they should be standard now.

What are your thoughts? Go to CRV or go to RDX for the extra approximately 6grand?
I have an 06 CRV and just purchased an 07 RDX/tech
there is very little comparison. The RDX is more comfortable, more power, alot more features. It looks and feels like it has as much if not more room than the CRV, though I have not really tested this yet.