WORLD FIRST (??): Bagged 2nd Gen RDX - Air ride is crazy on this car!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2024, 02:49 AM
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool WORLD FIRST (??): Bagged 2nd Gen RDX - Air ride is crazy on this car!

TLDR:
> handling performance somewhere between a civic SI and CtR (What??)
> Nobody makes a kit for this car
> Air controller from Airlift
> Bags from airtekk, took 5mo+ to ship, didnt fit car
> Bags needed multiple engineered parts

Summary: Read the above. Let's get into it!

Handling: Handling now is absolute insanity, It's aggressive, it's angry. It's DEFINITELY faster than my 09 civic SI around turns. My mom (lol) Has a 17 civic type-R. I'm not sure if it's as fast as that CtR around turns, but it is definitely close. it's lowered about 2-3 inches from stock, and almost all body roll is eliminated. Laying on the throttle, like most FWD cars, adds some extra grip when accelerating out of or through turns. Testing is done on real colorado mountain roads. Not only does this no longer feel like an SUV, it no longer feels like an acura. Comfort and feel-wise, if you blindfolded me, i'd feel like I was driving a CTR. It's definitely slightly stiffer in the suspension, more responsive, you move around in your seat slightly more over bumps, likes to drive straight a little more and requires more steering wheel force to cruise on the highway or be on broad turns. I did not expect this level of performance from air suspension.
KIT: (Part 1 of 2 to add air suspension to your car) Nobody made an airstrut&spring kit for this car, and the only company that would respond was Airtekk. They said they could make a kit for this car, and 5 months later after paying, a 2008-12 RDX kit arrived at my door.
Controller: (Part 2 of 2 to add air suspension to your car) i ordered an airlift 3h controller from Bagriders (10% off), which came with the controller, and I chose 3/8in air line to fill and lower the car faster. I chose a 2.5 gallon tank because I knew it would fit into the spare tire compartment. I chose dual compressors to compensate for my small tank which was a good move, 0-150psi in about 45 seconds. I opted to skip their 120$ dual compressor relay kit and instead installed my own relay for 5$ (lol)
INSTALL NOTES: It was fairly easy to install, provided you have the parts, tools, and engineering know-how to get parts made.
Electrical install notes: I already had spare-tire area power since I have power lines for audio. Ran the controller to next to my steering wheel near the vent. Ran all wires under the seat and inside left floor plastics. Air controller connects to compressors.
Air install notes: Controller has air release for the tank to lower the car, then has 4 air ports and 4 electrical connectors. one air line and one height sensor goes to each tire.
Mechanical install notes: Swapping the front struts is easy. and, once you get the rear springs out, the rear is too. the front strut and shock is one piece, meanwhile the rear has an air spring that inserts and a simple replacement shock (That's adjustable!) Adjust it so it hit's the max extension stop when your spring is almost fully extended.

INSTALL WOES:
FRONT STRUT TOP PLATE: HAD to get this part custom made for it to fit AT ALL. Dimensions and file are on my etsy for viewing or download. You can have this made by Xometry for 60$ each, then you add your own bolts. CONTACT ME and i can get you all dimensions for free, I just dont have time to upload it now. https://www.etsy.com/listing/1739792...berstrut-tower
Front strut bolt for height adjustment: This stupid aluminum bolt kept getting loose. it's ** * tight * * now. and has threadlocker.
Front strut height in general: The front struts really arent long enough. They could be longer. Basically, the shock part feeds into the bracket part to where the flat bottom of the shock tube juuuust is aligned to the top of the plate where the hub bolts on to. AKA, a little too far for comfort. since the shock does not travel into the tube where the welded plates are for the hub mounting, if the tube shears here that could mean trouble.
Front strut too short/shoddy construction?: As an engineer, the 1/8" steel welded to the threaded tube where the shock mounts to is too thin. I'd want AT LEAST this metal plate to completely wrap around the tube to prevent shearing of welds.
Air line protection: I added wire loom over my air lines to protect them. They currently run under the car. My next project will probably be steel C channel to protect them from Colorado rocks.
Rear Shocks: The only thing i didnt have problems with. lol. I don't like how the boot/bellows doesnt completely seal-off the shock though. it's like the shock rod diameter is 10mm and the boot hole is 11mm.
Rear bags: Well, they didnt fit but I made them and they've been staying. There's a 3/4" cone thing sticking out on the car frame that the 1.25" air spring loosely sits around. And on the bottom, its even worse, the flat spring sits on the uneven coil-shaped recession for a spring. it's centered by the large 3" disc that came with the suspension kit and centered by a 3-d printed 3.25" cone shaped piece to center it and hold it tight.

TO DO:
upper rear spring centering cone: I have the file for this and test printed it, it's too big, i'll print two more when my printer comes in wendsday and update yall, also, i'll add the file for free on my etsy.
lower rear spring centering washer: This part will also get designed wednesday/thurs. Using my Creality 3D scanner I'll design a plastic washer to sit snug into the coil spring seat and keep the cylindrical air spring centered.
Front coil spacer: To help the front shock tube go lower and closer to the front hub mount plates, i'll add a strut top spacer about 1-2" thick so I can lower the shock more into the tube. I can probably get away with this being plastic. I can also raise the car.
Old 06-18-2024, 02:50 AM
7th Gear

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

The following 3 users liked this post by StephensEngineering:
altair47 (06-18-2024), dopeboy1 (06-18-2024), Poolman (06-24-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 07:11 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 398 Likes on 311 Posts
The following 2 users liked this post by altair47:
Alex Medeiros (06-18-2024), Poolman (06-24-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 02:35 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 8,747 Likes on 6,748 Posts
Pretty bad ass!!

Now to work on your wire management skills!

The following users liked this post:
altair47 (06-18-2024)
Old 06-18-2024, 05:13 PM
The inconvenient truth

Received 438 Likes on 323 Posts
How you going to do us like that posting only one nice picture of the finished product. Let's see more!
The following users liked this post:
Poolman (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 01:38 PM
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts
20 years younger and I might would have jumped into this blind folded . Great job and great to hear how the ride feels like
it's on on rails now. With all that going for you , there might be a great hoard of cars yours will be surprising.
That front grill , liking that also..where might that part might be had?
Keep up the good work and send more pics out when ya can.