Tinted the front windows

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2017, 04:52 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Tinted the front windows

Just thought I'd share my experience for anyone looking to tint their front windows to match the rear factory tint. I just got mine done over the weekend by a local shop and they had a few brands to choose from. The cheapest one being the Madico Charcool (which is a pretty decent film if you ask me), then Madico Black Pearl, Suntek, and Huper Optik. Out of all of them I think the Black Pearl (ceramic) matched the best however, they were charging like $150 for just the front 2. The Huper Optik (also ceramic) was also $150 but it has a reflective quality to them. Since I was on a tight budget, I opted for the Charcool for $75.

I chose the 20% and from the outside it actually doesn't look bad at all and matches pretty well. I'll try to post some pictures up later. The real kicker is the difference from the inside looking out. The color difference is definitely more noticeable. It sort of has a slight greenish hue to it compared to our factory. I'm sort of OCD so it kind of bothers me a tad but at the end of the day it's in the inside and it's not bad for the price for a good quality film.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll go back and redo it to the Black Pearl. Or pick another tint shop who might have other tint options. Btw, I do live in sunny southern CA and it is illegal here to tint the front windows but seriously, literally almost everyone tints their windows here and most cops won't fuck with you unless they really feel like it. It's just one of those things here most cops usually just let slide. If you're in a fixed up ride with some limo tint then you're just asking for it. Being in my family car RDX I'm hoping to fly under the radar.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:14 AM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
Do you have auto dimming side mirrors? If so, how's the visibility at night? That's my main concern.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:25 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Netforcer
Do you have auto dimming side mirrors? If so, how's the visibility at night? That's my main concern.
I don't think my 2013 has auto dimming side mirrors. Only the rear view mirror.
Old 09-09-2017, 03:16 AM
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by t0md0
Just thought I'd share my experience for anyone looking to tint their front windows to match the rear factory tint. I just got mine done over the weekend by a local shop and they had a few brands to choose from. The cheapest one being the Madico Charcool (which is a pretty decent film if you ask me), then Madico Black Pearl, Suntek, and Huper Optik. Out of all of them I think the Black Pearl (ceramic) matched the best however, they were
charging like $150 for just the front 2. The Huper Optik (also ceramic) was also $150 but it has a reflective quality to them. Since I was on a tight budget, I opted for the Charcool for $75.

I chose the 20% and from the outside it actually doesn't look bad at all and matches pretty well. I'll try to post some pictures up later. The real kicker is the difference from the inside looking out. The color difference is definitely more noticeable. It sort of has a slight greenish hue to it compared to our factory. I'm sort of OCD so it kind of bothers me a tad but at the end of the day it's in the inside and it's not bad for the price for a good quality film.

Who knows, maybe one day I'll go back and redo it to the Black Pearl. Or pick another tint shop who might have other tint options. Btw, I do live in sunny southern CA and it is illegal here to tint the front windows but seriously, literally almost everyone tints their windows here and most cops won't fuck with you unless they really feel like it. It's just one of those things here most cops usually just let slide. If you're in a fixed up ride with some limo tint then you're just asking for it. Being in my family car RDX I'm hoping to fly under the radar.
Thank you for the detailed info ! I got my RDX 5 days ago and I'm dying to tiny my windows! So where did you go????
Old 09-09-2017, 04:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Faozat
Thank you for the detailed info ! I got my RDX 5 days ago and I'm dying to tiny my windows! So where did you go????
There's a spot in OC called Perfect Window Tint. Check em out if you're nearby. They have great reviews on Yelp.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:21 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by Netforcer
Made little difference when I did mine. You can still see the mirrors just fine with the increased tint. If anything, it's better at night.
Old 10-06-2017, 01:25 PM
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
in CA - you are just asking to get pulled over with dark tinted front windows - I think 35% is the legal limit
Old 10-06-2017, 01:41 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by srpuywa
in CA - you are just asking to get pulled over with dark tinted front windows - I think 35% is the legal limit
Do you live in CA? Because if you did, you would/should know that having any tint on the front side windows is illegal.

And yes I agree, dark tints in the front like limo is asking to get pulled over. If you want to be safe, 35% or higher. But again, I'll be real honest, living in CA is see 20% all the time. It's almost the norm.
Old 04-24-2019, 05:39 PM
Advanced

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
I use 3m Crystalline 70% transmission on my two front windows. The tint lets in 70% of the visible light through, but block most of UV and IR light. I never have to worry about being pulled over since you can barely see the tint, you get all the befits of a dark tint (minus the privacy) I like the extra light so extra bonus for me.
The following users liked this post:
vile10 (07-18-2021)
Old 06-16-2019, 12:11 AM
Strike Hold

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by ronvanr
I use 3m Crystalline 70% transmission on my two front windows. The tint lets in 70% of the visible light through, but block most of UV and IR light. I never have to worry about being pulled over since you can barely see the tint, you get all the befits of a dark tint (minus the privacy) I like the extra light so extra bonus for me.
How much cooler do you feel it makes your RDX? I'm thinking of doing this myself. It gets to 120 here.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:10 PM
Advanced

I don't have any data on how cooler the car is, but with the 3M and a sunshade, I notice the car cools off much quicker. Also, the 3M makes driving more comfortable as the sun is less intense on my body with the tint in place.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:12 PM
Strike Hold

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
That's a good point. I have to put a towel over my arm sometimes to get it out of the sun. Thanks for your input. Mind if I ask how much that costed you? Just the two front windows?
Old 06-17-2019, 06:53 AM
Advanced

I think I paid around 200 for the two windows.
The following users liked this post:
DUCRDX (06-17-2019)
Old 07-18-2021, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
+1 for 3M 70% crystalline, I think it helps a lot, now it makes me considering 90% windshield
Old 07-18-2021, 09:05 PM
Touring

Received 77 Likes on 61 Posts
Originally Posted by DUCRDX
That's a good point. I have to put a towel over my arm sometimes to get it out of the sun. Thanks for your input. Mind if I ask how much that costed you? Just the two front windows?
$159 on a new 2021 RDX.
Old 07-27-2021, 01:30 PM
Instructor

Received 78 Likes on 59 Posts
I had my front 2 windows tinted in June. I can't remember the brand but it was the ceramic tinting. They matched the rear windows.

Like others said, it does help with keeping the interior cooler, glare reduction, and over heating of the arm while driving. I paid $159.