MDX roof rails for my RDX

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 09:54 PM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MDX roof rails for my RDX

I prefer the low profile mdx roof-rails to the higher profile rdx (2016) / can the mdx rails fit my rdx ??
Old 08-13-2017, 12:34 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 875 Likes on 669 Posts
Originally Posted by Ed206
I prefer the low profile mdx roof-rails to the higher profile rdx (2016) / can the mdx rails fit my rdx ??
In older Acura/Honda models the roof rack was cross applicable across many different cars (the roof rack on my 2007 RDX was the same as the MDX, CRV, and Pilot. I'm not so sure that is the case anymore.
Old 09-11-2017, 08:44 PM
5th Gear

+1

Originally Posted by Ed206
I'm researching a roof rack setup too, and don't care for the stock RDX rails. If you get some confirmation on the more contemporary MDX rails working, please report back!

Has anyone installed roof tracks or direct mounts, bypassing Acura rails altogether? Yakima and Thule make both, but I haven't seen an RDX install.

JC
Old 09-12-2017, 12:44 AM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JCRDX
I'm researching a roof rack setup too, and don't care for the stock RDX rails. If you get some confirmation on the more contemporary MDX rails working, please report back!

Has anyone installed roof tracks or direct mounts, bypassing Acura rails altogether? Yakima and Thule make both, but I haven't seen an RDX install.

JC
when I was looking into buying a roof rack, I went back and fourth on either getting factory rails and crossbars or going with Thule bars. Cost was probably the biggest factor for me when deciding so I ended up with the Thule bars.

In order to get Thule bars to work for the rdx, you need three things:
thule rapid traverse footpack
thule aeroblade bars (53" is recommended but you can go longer)
thule fit kit - KIT1724

the best thing about these bars is that it can be easily removed if needed and thrown onto a different car, as long as you have the proper fit kit for the car you're installing them on

Not the best pic but hopefully it gives you an idea
The following users liked this post:
JCRDX (09-14-2017)
Old 09-14-2017, 06:08 AM
5th Gear

Gutter mount vs fixed rails

Originally Posted by johnnyytruong
when I was looking into buying a roof rack, I went back and fourth on either getting factory rails and crossbars or going with Thule bars. Cost was probably the biggest factor for me when deciding so I ended up with the Thule bars.

In order to get Thule bars to work for the rdx, you need three things:
thule rapid traverse footpack
thule aeroblade bars (53" is recommended but you can go longer)
thule fit kit - KIT1724

the best thing about these bars is that it can be easily removed if needed and thrown onto a different car, as long as you have the proper fit kit for the car you're installing them on

Not the best pic but hopefully it gives you an idea
That looks pretty good! What is the maximum spread (distance between crossbars)?

I would prefer permanent rails or fixed mounts and nothing that clamps inside the door opening. (I had a bad experience with gutter mounts previously.)
Old 09-14-2017, 07:15 PM
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by JCRDX
That looks pretty good! What is the maximum spread (distance between crossbars)?

I would prefer permanent rails or fixed mounts and nothing that clamps inside the door opening. (I had a bad experience with gutter mounts previously.)
this was installed a while ago so I'd have to double check the distance I installed them at. You can technically spread them as far as the door seal can allow but it apparently voids the warranty with Thule if something were to go wrong.

they recently made the black rails and crossbars available to purchase separately (in Canada) and not part of the accessory package along with the wheels and running boards. Definitely liking the look..