Shock sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 08:25 PM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Shock sensor

Hey all,

I purchased a 2013 RDX in December and less than 3 weeks later, somebody broke the front passenger window, crawled into the trunk area and stole my laptop. I was irritated to find out that there isn't some sort of shock sensor in the factory alarm system. I've been looking for somebody to install one and tie it to the factory alarm, but everyone around wants to sell me a new alarm. I'd much rather tap into the factory alarm. Does anybody know how to do this? I found a how to for a TL and I suppose I can figure it out from there, but some guidance on my car would be much appreciated.

Thanks
-Rob
Old 04-25-2013, 08:54 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
just curious, what would the alarm do to stop the thief? He clearly didn't care about making noise because he smashed your window. Who pays attention to a car alarm now days?
I 'm sorry I can't help actually answer your question, but it's possible you are on the wrong path with an alarm and should instead be looking into a secure storage space for valuables?
Old 04-25-2013, 11:11 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
My son is a cop..highly decorated one at that. I have been to a police academy and have spent hundreds of hours with cops, riding with them, been to many prisons and jails, etc, etc.

You NEVER leave anything of value in your vehicles. Period. The thief knew what was in the back area. That's why he targeted you. I've owned over 60 vehicles in my lifetime.

I can honestly say....I have never left anything valuable in a vehicle and have never had a vehicle broken in to. I don't trust anyone.

Changing the alarm....IMHO...and learned opinion.....is up to you. Cheaper thing to do. Don't leave valuables in your vehicle!!

Thieves thrive on folks like you. And, even IF you changed your alarm system....and left your camera....or....heaven's forbid.....your laptop in the vehicle again......they will still smash and grab it. That's the bottom line.

We are...most of us....are here to help.....I just helped you.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 AM
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Fuoco, I'm sorry to say I can not help you as I am not savvy enough to do this.

Have you checked with Best Buy? I know it sounds funny, but the guys at their vehicle department are SOMETIMES knowledgeable enough and nice enough to guide you and tell you how you could do this. Out of the guys at my local Best Buy, I know at least two are pretty experienced and have no problems helping you with advice without charging you.

What happened to you could've happened to anyone! So don't worry too much there.
The following users liked this post:
fuocozero (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 08:17 AM
Instructor

Received 36 Likes on 12 Posts
If you have to occasionaly leave something of value in the back of the car at least purchase that pull over cover that the dealer sells. Won't stop all of the scum but it will at least keep things out of sight.
Old 04-26-2013, 08:23 AM
Advanced

We are assuming the thief saw the item before deciding to break the window, folks!

I believe it's quite hard to see into the trunk area even without the cargo cover since the back windows are all tinted out.

However, the OP is asking a specific question on alarm wiring.
fuocozero (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:44 AM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
[quote=Sose;14447728]We are assuming the thief saw the item before deciding to break the window, folks!

I believe it's quite hard to see into the trunk area even without the cargo cover since the back windows are all tinted out.

However, the OP is asking a specific question on alarm wiring.[/quote

^^ +1! Some folks have jobs which require them to carry stuff around(computers, cameras, specialized equipment, tools, etc) with them and at times have to leave it in their vehicle. Or when on vacation and you have a car full of stuff it is a little hard to never leave anything of value in the car when stopping for a break. If the thief saw the laptop why didn't he just break the rear glass and grab it versus crawling through a front window and crawling to the rear? That said, should you leave something that is of obvious high value laying out in plain sight? Absolutely not if you can possibly avoid it.

In regards to wiring a new motion sensitive type alarm into the alarm system of the RDX I'd be leary of voiding warranty or causing system problems. If I had the real need to have that added protection I think I would just add it on top of the exisiting system and not try to integrate it.

Last edited by geocord; 04-26-2013 at 10:46 AM.
fuocozero (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm a dude you reprobates

Received 60 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by geocord
^^ +1! Some folks have jobs which require them to carry stuff around(computers, cameras, specialized equipment, tools, etc) with them and at times have to leave it in their vehicle.
Yes, that's why i suggested he instead look into secure storage for inside the car.

So far as I know the shock sensor was replaced by the proximity sensor. If the car has to sustain a blow of some kind before the alarm goes off isn't it already too late?
Old 04-26-2013, 01:58 PM
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by AmberB
Yes, that's why i suggested he instead look into secure storage for inside the car.

So far as I know the shock sensor was replaced by the proximity sensor. If the car has to sustain a blow of some kind before the alarm goes off isn't it already too late?
Wasn't referring to your post. I agree, secure it, hide it or best take it with you as someone else said. But even if secured, if someone wants it bad enough....well you know the rest of the story. Most crooks take the path of least resistance. If they notice that it has elaborate alarm system they will probably go to next vehicle especially if they don't see stuff laying out in plain sight.

Since the RDX security system only alarms on unauthorized opening of doors or hood, I'm pretty sure it's not a proximity alarm. Proximity alarms are those that sound when a sensor detects movement(ie. motion in the covered area).

Below is from the RDX owners manual"
"The security system alarm activates when the doors, tailgate, or hood are opened without the key, remote transmitter or keyless access system.

Last edited by geocord; 04-26-2013 at 02:01 PM.
fuocozero (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 03:59 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

Received 978 Likes on 803 Posts
i would just layer an aftermarket alarm on top of the factory system. these systems will have the proximity and shock sensors to make noise and deter would be thieves. it's not a guarantee, but thieves generally dont' want to draw attention to themselves or deal with unnecessary hassles. yes, removing valuable items from the vehicle would be the most ideal, but sometimes people don't have that choice depending on where they are. i've read stories of people having been victims of smash and grab jobs, if they want it they'll take it. some were even car jacked (this happened to a 3G TL member here at his house) after having been scouted by the thieves in advance.

i've had two previous cars broken into (way back when) in my mom's driveway in a good neighborhood. the thieves didn't take anything of high value, mostly petty stuff. just proves that they will take anything to make a buck. from that point forward i stopped leaving anything i wasn't willing to part with in the car and added an alarm to both of these cars.

if this was my car and it was violated this way...i'd just add the aftermarket alarm on top of the factory system for peace of mind. then i would stop leaving ANYTHING in the car (if you value it, if possible). would be thugs don't care, they'll take stuff b/c it was free then make a few bucks off your loss (off your person, out of your car, etc).
fuocozero (04-26-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 04:17 PM
4th Gear

Thanks all

I normally don't leave valuables in the car. The alarm would bring attention to the car and the would-be thief would stop in their tracks. I don't want to change out the alarm because it is expensive and installing a sensor would do the same thing. Also, I rather enjoy not having to deal with my key nor an alarm fob. I already had purchased the cover for the back and it was covered. Thanks for the concern over leaving stuff in my car, but I really was just hoping for some advice on wiring this thing up. Perhaps I'll figure it out and post a how-to myself.

-Rob
Old 04-26-2013, 04:32 PM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^try going or asking an electronics/alarm installer. i'm sure there is a way to do it, but with today's electronics in cars...i foresee it being a real bear. good luck.

was this break in a random fluke (well yeah of course it was)? meaning this is not a normal occurence in your neighborhood/area? just curious. i would be a little paranoid after something like this. i'm paranoid street parking my car for fear some random fool hitting it or vandals having a little too much fun.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:37 PM
4th Gear

It was at my friend's house. Not a horrible area, but obviously not the best either. I haven't been to her house since the break-in until last night and I was worried when I got back to my car. I've asked one local installer and they want to install a full alarm. Not ready for that just yet.
Old 04-26-2013, 04:45 PM
Advanced

Good luck man! I look forward to a how-to if you attempt it and are successful (heck, even if you aren't successful!).
fuocozero (04-30-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 01:43 AM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally Posted by Sose
We are assuming the thief saw the item before deciding to break the window, folks!

However, the OP is asking a specific question on alarm wiring.
Most any bright flashlight will go right through the tint! I know, I tried it in the dark using a Maglight...3 D cell. The bright small tactical lights will definitely shine right through the tint. I have one of those too. Thieves have the tools they need.

It's easier to break the door glass than the back hatch glass....that's why they went in that way. Little quieter too.

A cargo cover might have helped....but, again...bottom line....remove anything valuable.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:12 AM
3G TL/2G MDX Owner

^^he had the cargo cover in use when this occurred.
fuocozero (04-30-2013)
Old 07-15-2014, 10:59 PM
2015 RDX Tech AWD

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Back in the day I wired a model a ignition coil to a custom car I owned (1960's). It had a hidden rubber coated switch under the fender well. If anybody touched any metal part of the vehicle they would get a electric shock that would straighten their legs out from under their body and fall back on the ground.

I don't remember how it was wired as my dad helped me put it in a Shwin bike. I transferred it to my first car and every car after for about ten years. It never killed anybody but they had some bruises from hitting the ground (LOL). I believe that you can still buy the coils from JC Whitney. Maybe Google might have some instructions?

I'm going to try to buy a model T coil & experiment hooking it up. I just need a volunteer to help test it...
Old 07-16-2014, 07:06 AM
ceb
Suzuka Master

Received 1,276 Likes on 951 Posts
Originally Posted by ARascal
Back in the day I wired a model a ignition coil to a custom car I owned (1960's). It had a hidden rubber coated switch under the fender well. If anybody touched any metal part of the vehicle they would get a electric shock that would straighten their legs out from under their body and fall back on the ground.

I don't remember how it was wired as my dad helped me put it in a Shwin bike. I transferred it to my first car and every car after for about ten years. It never killed anybody but they had some bruises from hitting the ground (LOL). I believe that you can still buy the coils from JC Whitney. Maybe Google might have some instructions?

I'm going to try to buy a model T coil & experiment hooking it up. I just need a volunteer to help test it...
These days that would get YOU put in jail. How dare you try to harm the poor would be thief?

On a serious note though, that wouldn't be a good idea. Think of some kid admiring your car that gets zapped.

The solution is clearly a multi-part one, recognizing the MO of the bad guys and the limitations of alarms.

As others have said, few people will even bother to look when an alarm goes off - the exception being in a residential area in the middle of the night.

So what can you do? A summary of previous posts and a few new suggestions.

Bad guys will go after the easiest and most obvious target, so hide your stuff - before you get to the place where you'll park the car. I've seen too many people park their car, THEN pop their trunk or hatch and "hide" their purse. The bad guys are looking for this stuff. I've had them tell me "I saw them put their purse under that jacket on the back seat so I knew exactly what to go for"

Lock your car. Most thefts come from unlocked cars.

Be careful where you park. Bad guys like dark and/or deserted areas. If you have a bad feeling about being there then you should think twice about parking there.

Get a legitimate alarm sticker. Most alarm companies sell them.

Think twice about your dark aftermarket tint. Could somebody think that you got it to hide stuff?
Old 07-22-2014, 12:34 PM
Drifting

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts
For around $350, you should be able to get an after-market alarm like Viper with vibration sensor installed.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:39 PM
Strike Hold

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by fuocozero
Hey all,

I purchased a 2013 RDX in December and less than 3 weeks later, somebody broke the front passenger window, crawled into the trunk area and stole my laptop. I was irritated to find out that there isn't some sort of shock sensor in the factory alarm system. I've been looking for somebody to install one and tie it to the factory alarm, but everyone around wants to sell me a new alarm. I'd much rather tap into the factory alarm. Does anybody know how to do this? I found a how to for a TL and I suppose I can figure it out from there, but some guidance on my car would be much appreciated.

Thanks
-Rob
OP did you ever get this installed? I'm interested also. I read the thread on the TL forum about adding one. Seemed fairly easy to do.

https://acurazine.com/forums/third-g...t=shock+sensor
Old 05-30-2020, 12:14 PM
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here's also a good video that explains what you're trying to achieve:

About a year ago, I had both my wife's RDX and the Odyssey wired up (automotive relay, fuse tap, 504 shock sensor) minus the trigger wire connection. I could confirm that the sensor powered up after the ignition is switched off and powered off when the ignition is in the ACC or ON positions. For the Odyssey it seemed easer to wire the trigger to the hood pin switch but unfortunately that didn't work out (I believed I may have needed a diode). The onboard electronics didn't like either on first start up (CEL, BSM, FCW light lit up like a Christmas...lol). May be it was also because I was too lazy to pull the negative when working on it...(not best practice, but these were such small connections and have done so many times with minor work without issue).

I ended up pulling everything on the Odyssey, the warning lights reset on the next drive cycle. I ended up just getting an aftermarket 2 way installed on it instead because I wanted to have it for a road trip we were taking at the time. I'd still like to get the RDX install working one day when I get back at it. If anyone here has their working, let me know where you are pulling the trigger.