Reading the DTC's

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2017, 02:21 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Reading the DTC's

Is there a way to get and read the DTC from the dashboard? I could do it with my Cadillac with the push of a few buttons.
Old 10-28-2017, 07:25 AM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
There's probably a way to press some buttons and get the check engine light to blink out the code. That's really old school though. To efficiently read codes for your RDX you'll need a code reader that plugs into your OBDII port (under the dash). You can purchase the dedicated type with a display connected to a cable or (better) get a stand alone reader that uses either Bluetooth (Android) or Wifi (ios) then use an app or program to display the codes and their meaning. Apps are often free, the readers can be under $10 but, beware, you get what you pay for.

Cheers!
Old 10-28-2017, 09:09 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for the reply

Any recommendations what to get and where? I'd like to buy the right one first time, rather than trial and error.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:09 PM
Inveterate Tinkerer

Received 110 Likes on 73 Posts
Originally Posted by Elaine S
Any recommendations what to get and where? I'd like to buy the right one first time, rather than trial and error.
I don't have much experience with the Wifi readers (required with iOS) but if your phone choice is Android I can offer a couple of suggestions.

1. I've had good experience
 with this unit with this unit
. It reads all available codes and works with a lot of (free or paid) apps. I use the reader to mirror my phone to the nav screen of my other car so the reader stays plugged in all the time. I installed a switch to power it off when not in use to avoid draining the battery. If you'll only be using a reader for occasional code reading/clearing then this is probably a good unit for you.

2. If the reader will stay plugged in then
 this is my choice this is my choice
. It automatically powers down after 10 minutes of no use then powers back up when the engine is started. It also comes with (pc and Android) software.

Cheers!
Old 12-04-2017, 10:58 AM
10th Gear

Thanks for the info. Will look into getting the first one, just want to make sure everything is working as it should.