Key Fob Help - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Key Fob Help

Old 05-28-2015, 08:47 PM   #1

Key Fob Help

Hi everyone i recently machine washed one of my key set, which had my Acura key fob on it, yes stupidity of mine. Currently the key kinda works, when i mean kinda half of the functions work. None of the buttons on the fob works but the vehicle still recognizes the key in its proximity. When inside a hand full times the car will start.

I open the actual key fob and it doesnt seem like and rust has formed. When inserting a battery the red led turns on for a couple seconds then turns off.

Any recommendations they get this back up and running? I know with some other brands you can add a fob if you have two fobs already. Can you do that with Acrua? How much would a different fob? Does i have to be new?d

I havent called the dealership but im already thinking it will be up the arse.
ipodnag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:23 PM   #2
ceb
Registered Member

Thanked 1,123 Times in 833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipodnag View Post
Hi everyone i recently machine washed one of my key set, which had my Acura key fob on it, yes stupidity of mine. Currently the key kinda works, when i mean kinda half of the functions work. None of the buttons on the fob works but the vehicle still recognizes the key in its proximity. When inside a hand full times the car will start.

I open the actual key fob and it doesnt seem like and rust has formed. When inserting a battery the red led turns on for a couple seconds then turns off.

Any recommendations they get this back up and running? I know with some other brands you can add a fob if you have two fobs already. Can you do that with Acrua? How much would a different fob? Does i have to be new?d

I havent called the dealership but im already thinking it will be up the arse.
A few things you can try:

Dry out the fob entirely by removing the battery, wrapping it in a Kleenex and putting it into a Ziploc bag with uncooked rice. Leave it for a few days.

Once dry, use a new battery and see if it works. If not, then you'll most likely need a new key.

You cannot use a "used" fob. It has to be new and will need to be programmed by the dealer.

Yes, it will be expensive, let's hope that the rice and new battery work.
ceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 08:48 PM   #3
Registered Member

Well, if you can remove all traces of water, may be you can bring it to the dealership and have them replace it under warranty.
RSX_Takashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 02:08 PM   #4
ceb
Registered Member

Thanked 1,123 Times in 833 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSX_Takashi View Post
Well, if you can remove all traces of water, may be you can bring it to the dealership and have them replace it under warranty.
First, that would be warranty fraud. Secondly, if you removed all traces of water then the fob would work. If water damages electronics then there always is evidence.
ceb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:04 AM   #5

Hi Guys.. I'm new here.. Just picked up a 2016 RDX. Our fob keeps beeping even though we are in the house. We checked to make sure all doors and shut and locked. What am I missing?! Thanks!
Phillywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2015, 03:36 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillywood View Post
Hi Guys.. I'm new here.. Just picked up a 2016 RDX. Our fob keeps beeping even though we are in the house. We checked to make sure all doors and shut and locked. What am I missing?! Thanks!
I've never, ever heard a noise come out of my key fob.
Desert Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2016, 10:51 PM   #7
Registered Member

i haven't either...
Nitefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 12:23 PM   #8
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phillywood View Post
The fob or the car keeps beeping? If it's the car, maybe you left the engine on.
Al Dente is offline   Reply With Quote