Hood support rod location for servicing. - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Hood support rod location for servicing.

Old 12-05-2016, 05:35 PM   #1
Registered Member

Hood support rod location for servicing.

I guess you guys know about this, just a reminder, just took pictures. Now the rod will be out of my way when I change the spark plugs.

Joe Las Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #2
Registered Member

I didn't know. Thanks!
V6X6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:54 AM   #3

Thanked 13,338 Times in 9,881 Posts
what kind of bs is that!? I thought all acura's had hydraulic hood lifts!!!
justnspace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 10:02 AM   #4

Thanked 5,112 Times in 4,076 Posts
Only the elite ones
thoiboi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:10 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
13-15 RDX have prop rods, 16+ have gas-powered struts. Wife's '12 TL has struts. Kid's '17 ILX has prop rod. All over the map, I'd say :-)
andysinnh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:58 AM   #6
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justnspace View Post
Our 2009 Hyundai Santa Fe GLS has the gas struts and my 2012 Kia Sorento also has the gas struts. The fact ANY Acura has a prop rod past the early 2000's is sad.
RDX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:23 PM   #7
Registered Member

Yup, the surprise on my face when I saw a hood prop in our RDX I was fuckin shocked! My wife's old 2004 Accord V6 had gas struts!
t0md0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 06:36 PM   #8
Registered Member

Curious, has anyone tried to install gas struts/dampeners on the 2013-2015? Is it doable? If so, anyone have a link to a spot to purchase? What about a DIY thread to follow? I might be down to do this if it's cheap.
Old 08-28-2017, 09:49 PM   #9
Registered Member

I wouldn't worry about it having a rod for the hood if that was the only issue. Toyota and Nissan have used twin cams and timing chains in their 6 cylinders for more than 25 years but honda still uses a single overhead cam and a timing belt to this very day. I wouldn't get too upset about a rod for the hood even if many cars have not had for a long time.
snorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 10:17 PM   #10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snorf View Post
I wouldn't worry about it having a rod for the hood if that was the only issue. Toyota and Nissan have used twin cams and timing chains in their 6 cylinders for more than 25 years but honda still uses a single overhead cam and a timing belt to this very day. I wouldn't get too upset about a rod for the hood even if many cars have not had for a long time.
Don't forget the infotainment setup is from the 90's too lmao. But like seriously I still have a mind blown moment when I am reminded that the RDX uses a prop still.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:28 PM   #11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
Don't forget the infotainment setup is from the 90's too lmao. But like seriously I still have a mind blown moment when I am reminded that the RDX uses a prop still.
My neighbor's college student drives an old saturn that has the pistons for hood support.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:52 PM   #12
Registered Member

Quote:
My neighbor's college student drives an old saturn that has the pistons for hood support.
I'm fairly certain that the base 14k Kia rio has gas struts as well. I really don't get it. I mean on the flip side with the RDX you are very unlikely to have to open the hood haha. Any idea if the ILX or TLX or MDX use a prop rod?
Old 08-29-2017, 12:14 AM   #13
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah I did find it odd it was also SOHC. I've been out of the car game for a long time and back in the days I remembered that people made a big deal about DOHC. Honda obviously has made plenty of DOHC engines in the past so why the stop on these later models? TBH, I've read so many good things about this engine I didn't really think too much about it. If I'm not mistaken, the idea behind a DOHC was to have more valves per cylinder.. but this engine does have 24 valves which isn't bad right? Oh and the timing chain thing.. that's pretty lame. My old 2005 Mazda 6 used a timing chain. So I take it the RDX uses a belt right?

​​​​​
Old 08-29-2017, 02:12 AM   #14
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by t0md0 View Post
Yeah I did find it odd it was also SOHC. I've been out of the car game for a long time and back in the days I remembered that people made a big deal about DOHC. Honda obviously has made plenty of DOHC engines in the past so why the stop on these later models? TBH, I've read so many good things about this engine I didn't really think too much about it. If I'm not mistaken, the idea behind a DOHC was to have more valves per cylinder.. but this engine does have 24 valves which isn't bad right? Oh and the timing chain thing.. that's pretty lame. My old 2005 Mazda 6 used a timing chain. So I take it the RDX uses a belt right?

​​​​​
All Honda V6 engines are SOHC and all Honda 4 cylinder engines are DOHC. All Honda V6's use a belt and all Honda 4 cylinder engines use a chain. The SOHC does have certain limitations and I feel that Honda has pushed it to it's max at this point. They really can't push anymore ponies or torque through it at this point and efficiency has hit it's max too. So they need to make the jump to DOHC. There are wid rumours of a twin turbo 3.0 Honda engine with 400hp but I call bologna because SOHC doesn't play well with turbos especially not twin turbos.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:08 AM   #15
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDX10 View Post
All Honda V6 engines are SOHC and all Honda 4 cylinder engines are DOHC. All Honda V6's use a belt and all Honda 4 cylinder engines use a chain. The SOHC does have certain limitations and I feel that Honda has pushed it to it's max at this point. They really can't push anymore ponies or torque through it at this point and efficiency has hit it's max too. So they need to make the jump to DOHC. There are wid rumours of a twin turbo 3.0 Honda engine with 400hp but I call bologna because SOHC doesn't play well with turbos especially not twin turbos.
The 6 cyl in the RDX is the old engine from the accord (they quit using it in the accord in 2013). I wonder if the earth dreams engine used in the accord for the past few years is capable of producing more power of if it was updated solely for fuel efficiency.
Old 08-29-2017, 12:37 PM   #16
Registered Member

Quote:
The 6 cyl in the RDX is the old engine from the accord (they quit using it in the accord in 2013). I wonder if the earth dreams engine used in the accord for the past few years is capable of producing more power of if it was updated solely for fuel efficiency.
Well in theory all J35 engines with DI are the same engine with varying states of tune. The RLX makes 310hp while the TLX and MDX make 290. It would be possible for Acura to give the RDX at max 310hp with the J35 (maybe a couple more ponies, like 315). I think otherwise it's fairly maxed out at this point in terms of efficiency. It even has the cylinder deactivation so like they really have put in pretty much all the fuel
saving tech that they could.
Old 09-18-2017, 10:29 AM   #17
Registered Member

One thing about a good old mechanical hood prop rod....you'll never have to replace it.

I'll be cursing when my pneumatic hood struts no longer keep my hood open.

Nothing like simplicity.
Tech is offline   Reply With Quote