Anyone else replacing brake fluid at 3 years? - AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

Anyone else replacing brake fluid at 3 years?

Old 05-06-2015, 05:47 PM   #1
Registered Member

Anyone else replacing brake fluid at 3 years?

I got one of the first 2013s (last 4 of my VIN are 0750) and May 31, 2015 will mark 3 years since delivery. I have 26,300 miles and just did the B123 service. I noticed the manual says that "Independent of the maintenance minder information, replace the brake fluid every 3 years." Not a big deal - I have a pressure bleeder and a Mighty-Vac and will do it myself. Just wondering if other early purchasers have done this and what was their experience.
Dorsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:13 PM   #2
Registered Member

I get mine done on all my cars every 3 years at Brake Masters.
Joe Las Vegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 03:14 PM   #3
Registered Member

My dealer tried to pull a fast one on me, but they failed. Have a free brake flush coming at 47,8xx miles and 20 months on the road. They sent a letter saying that they recommended a flush at our last service at 42,000, which they didn't. I asked them why they didn't change it, as our maintenance package covers all recommended maintenance for 48,000 miles. They tried to say that only servicing the reservoir was included in the maintenance plan. I then said that seeing as Acura only calls for a flush every 3 years, regardless of mileage, then there must be something wrong, and it's covered under our bumper to bumper warranty.

They were trying to recommend an unneeded service and get me to pay for it, but oops, they tried it on someone who knows about cars. They painted themselves into a corner and now have to eat the cost of the flush.
2014RDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 11:19 PM   #4
Registered Member

Good question. I've been sucking the fluid out of the reservoir and replacing it every other oil change (once a year) for many many years. Would this be sufficient? I'm also still on the original pads on my 09 at 70k mile with about 3mm left in the rear. I figured if I ever did a brake job, I'd do a full line flush then.
TL Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 10:37 AM   #5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL Dream View Post
Good question. I've been sucking the fluid out of the reservoir and replacing it every other oil change (once a year) for many many years. Would this be sufficient? I'm also still on the original pads on my 09 at 70k mile with about 3mm left in the rear. I figured if I ever did a brake job, I'd do a full line flush then.
this is what i do on all cars. unless i change caliper or SS brake line, i dont. had 0 issues on all previous cars i've owned
inmydream316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 05:13 PM   #6
Registered Member

I don't recommend sucking the brake fluid out of the reservoir and putting new fluid in for brake fluid. This is not effective for keeping the properties of the fluid effective for managing heat. This biggest issue with break fluid is water, not dirty fluid. Break Fluid continuously pulls moisture out of the air into the fluid and degrades it's ability to handle heat that is generated when applying the brakes. The more water it has in it, the less effective the fluid is at managing heat. In a worst case scenario you could actually have brake failure, though that unlikely. The best thing to do is back out all of the old fluid. Use only new unopened containers of brake fluid to replace the old stuff. As soon as you open a container of brake fluid it starts pulling moisture into it. So, it's a bad idea to use any container that has been open for any period of time.
bvogel7475 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bvogel7475 For This Useful Post:
TacoBello (06-21-2016)
Old 06-21-2016, 05:54 PM   #7
I love tacos

Thanked 3,017 Times in 2,271 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TL Dream View Post
this isn't a good method, as a good portion of fluid stays within the brake lines and never changes. The fluid in the actual lines is likely well worn. If you don't drive your vehicle hard, it likely isn't an issue though. If it gets really old, the lines start to rust from the inside. That's not a good thing.

It's actually really easy to bleed brakes. I used to be afraid to touch them, but it's not something you can really screw up. It's easier with two people, but you can definitely do it yourself without issue.

All you need is a plastic coke bottle, a hole through the cap and a rubber hose going through the hole (has to be a tight fit). Just need to make sure the hose fits over the bleeder nipple on you brake calipers. I think it's 1/4", but don't quote me on that. I just get some flexible hose from Home Depot. 2-3 feet of it is more than plenty.

Anyway, put some fluid into the bottle- fill it about 3-4 inches. Make sure the hose is all the way to the bottom. Slap the other end of the hose onto the caliber nipple, unscrew it, make sure the brake reservoir is full, and pump the pedal. Repeat adding fluid to reservoir and pumping the pedal, until the fluid coming out is clean.

The only thing to remember is doing the brakes in the right order. I don't know what it is off the top of my head, but you can easily find it here on AZ.
TacoBello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 01:43 PM   #8
Registered Member

For those who did the flush themselves, how many of the 12 OZ bottles would you need? The Acura DOT3 is over $4 a bottle.
SpencerD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 04:49 PM   #9
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorsey View Post
I have a pressure bleeder and a Mighty-Vac and will do it myself.
I'm interested in learning how to use the bleeder. Could you post some pix and DIY instruction next time you change the fluid? thanks.
emry is offline   Reply With Quote