A tale of two navs

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts
A tale of two navs

We took our first trip last week where we relied on the nav for directions. Before we left, I entered the destinations (most were found by name – nice). And the nav performed as it should. (I only listen to the voice when navigating through a city, otherwise I just rely on a visual.) So far so good.

Then it all fell apart.

On the way home, we decided to grab a coffee at the nearest Dutch Bros., a local chain. None showed up in a "Find nearest coffee" search. And, of course, while driving, Mrs. DAVISinLA couldn’t enter the name, so I tried to say it, with laughable results. Then I tried to spell it.

After each letter, several choices came up on the screen, forcing me to take my eyes off the road, read the list and say the number or word. Now who in the world didn’t realize how distracting that process would be?

At times the letter I said wasn't understood and wasn't even a choice on the list. So after a few very frustrating minutes and a brief outbreak of profanity, we wound up using her iPhone to quickly find the nearest location.

$40K+ for a vehicle with such a lame GPS.

Last edited by davisinla; 09-21-2013 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-21-2013, 01:48 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
I've had the same experience. The GPS is so, so, so bad! GPS is supposed to give you confidence to explore places you've never been, but I have no confidence in the GPS in my '14 RDX. The database is awful, the routing can be awful, and for some reason, sometimes it "speaks" street names and sometimes it doesn't. I also hate that it doesn't tell me when it's recalculating the route, so if I miss a turn, sometimes I don't even realize it and keep looking for a street I already passed. Oh -- and the lag in the Bluetooth streaming and the voice recognition are awful too. Acura should be embarrassed.
Old 12-12-2013, 02:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They should be embarrased, but I don't think they care. If they did, much more thought and common sense would have gone into this system.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:03 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by blueorchid12
They should be embarrased, but I don't think they care. If they did, much more thought and common sense would have gone into this system.
Unfortunately blueorchid12 I cannot find ANYTHING that I disagree w/ above, you seemed to have nailed it.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:36 PM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts
similar experience with a container store lol kept giving me texas locations but i was in NJ!...

The worst is when you see the address is on a N,S,E,W OR a RT or highway of some kind... its like a rubiks cube you just keep at it until it finally is done
Old 12-28-2013, 09:53 AM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The GPS is a TOTAL JOKE. I can be 3 miles from home and on the road that goes directly there. The GPS tells me to turn left and go 7 miles out of the way. On another route it adds 93 miles to a 300 mile trip. Other times it will try to take you off main roads and thru towns. TOTAL POS.
It is by far the worst nav unit I have ever seen.