Data Connection with Android Phone

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 02:43 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question Data Connection with Android Phone

Has anybody had any success getting a data connection to work between the RDX and an Android phone (specifically I'm trying to use a Verizon Galaxy Nexus)?

I know the Handsfreelink website says everything but data works with this phone, but I was wondering if anybody has found any settings that do work? I have the mobile hotspot package from Verizon and have tried enabling Bluetooth tethering but that didn't help.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I use the Bluetooth (HFL) and audio with my Galaxy Note. The owners manual doesn't show data tethering which would link via USB or WIFI, and so I haven't tried to link that from my phone.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:19 AM
Intermediate

No, the manual doesn't mention data tethering (though that is possible via Bluetooth, but not supported on all phones, I don't know about the Galaxy Note), I was just trying it as the data connection wasn't working, the bit where the RDX tests the connection to Acura's servers, for AcuraLink messages I believe.

If you go into the Advanced settings on the RDX for the data connection, there are various settings such as the PPP username and password and the defaults it uses for Verizon certainly don't work, so I was wondering if anybody had found settings that do.

As its a long since obsolete method of getting a data connection via Bluetooth I suspect there probably isn't a way to get it going though .
Old 08-01-2012, 11:50 AM
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by PaulH2
If you go into the Advanced settings on the RDX for the data connection, there are various settings such as the PPP username and password and the defaults it uses for Verizon certainly don't work, so I was wondering if anybody had found settings that do.
Those settings are not to connect directly to your Verizon (or other data provider) account but to connect to your device such as your phone. It is the user-name and password you set in your phone to access the phone blue-tooth.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by GRDX
Those settings are not to connect directly to your Verizon (or other data provider) account but to connect to your device such as your phone. It is the user-name and password you set in your phone to access the phone blue-tooth.
No, the Dial String, PPP Username and PPP Password are definately to connect data, they are Bluetooth DUN properties. Basically the car is using your phone as a modem. The PIN to access Bluetooth on the phone is elsewhere in the settings (for the phone connection I think, not in the AcuraLink settings).

My suspicion is, Bluetooth DUN is an old protocol that is generally not supported any more (as its been supersceded by direct tethering, be it WiFi, USB or Bluetooth).