2013 RDX Siri Eyes Free Mode- beta email

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Smile 2013 RDX Siri Eyes Free Mode- beta email

Look what I just received via email. Did anyone else get this?

--------------------------

As an owner of a 2013 model year Acura RDX, we need your participation and feedback.

Acura is pleased to offer you an opportunity to add a new Siri Eyes Free Mode ability into your vehicle free of charge in exchange for your review of the feature. (Availability of this offer expires January 28, 2013.)

Siri Eyes Free Mode integrates the Siri feature into your vehicle, allowing you hands free access to many of the Siri functions through the vehicle’s audio and HandsFreeLink systems without having to handle your iPhone.

Acura is conducting a limited market trial with current 2013 model owners who own an Apple iPhone.

As a part of this trial, Acura will update your RDX with software that will allow the new Siri Eyes Free feature to work in your vehicle. The update will be installed by your dealer at no cost to you and you are welcome to keep and use the Siri Eyes Free feature after the trial is complete. All we ask from you is participation in an online survey after Siri Eyes Free is installed and you have had a chance to experience the feature.

There has been some compatibility concerns with the iPhone 5 and the RDX. This update will correct these concerns if you qualify for the trial.

To get started, please click on the link below to qualify for the trial. If you qualify, you will receive a welcome letter approximately 48 hours after completing the survey with instructions about how to have the Siri Eyes Free software installed into your vehicle.

Thank you for your participation. Your voice is important. We greatly value you as a customer and appreciate your feedback.

To start the qualification survey, please click on the link below.

Link removed for forum posting.

Sincerely,

American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
Acura Automobile Division.

All information contained herein applies to U.S. vehicles only. See our Privacy Policy

(C) 2013 Acura, 1919 Torrance Blvd. Torrance, CA 90501
Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 PM
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
no - I didn't receive it. Could you PM the link, or is the link specific for you?
Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bh9712
no - I didn't receive it. Could you PM the link, or is the link specific for you?
The link is serialized to me. I hope it is legit. I'll keep everyone in the loop.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Maybe I'm missing something but Siri already works through bluetooth for me... I wonder what this feature is all about.
Old 01-23-2013, 03:55 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by BlackDogRDX
Maybe I'm missing something but Siri already works through bluetooth for me... I wonder what this feature is all about.
From Apple's website:

Eyes free.

Apple is working with car manufacturers to integrate Siri into select voice control systems. Through the voice command button on your steering wheel, you’ll be able to ask Siri questions without taking your eyes off the road. To minimize distractions even more, your iOS device’s screen won’t light up. With the Eyes Free feature, ask Siri to call people, select and play music, hear and compose text messages, use Maps and get directions, read your notifications, find calendar information, add reminders, and more. It’s just another way Siri helps you get things done, even when you’re behind the wheel.

Last edited by Lanman; 01-23-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Instructor

According to Acura, the beta test is only in LA and Orange County... Sigh
Old 01-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 101 Likes on 88 Posts
I hope they don't steal your car.
Old 01-23-2013, 06:09 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by bh9712
According to Acura, the beta test is only in LA and Orange County... Sigh
I'm in San Diego.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 PM
10th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't know how, but I would LOVE to be in on this beta...
Old 01-29-2013, 01:45 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by cdev
I don't know how, but I would LOVE to be in on this beta...
My RDX is at the dealer now being updated. I should be able to pick it up at 2:00pm.

I'll ask when the software will be available to the public.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Alright Lanman sub'ed to this, looking forward to you keeping us in the loop especially since we drive identical RDXs & are both Mac guys.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
So It's Twice Now You're A Mac Beta Dude?

Alright Lanman sub'ed to this, looking forward to you keeping us in the loop especially since we drive identical RDXs & are both Mac guys.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by RDXinNETX
I'm an IOS, Mac and Acura beta dude.

I've only had a little time playing with the new firmware and it's pretty cool.

For example:

I sent a text to my wife and a coworker and had Siri read their responses without any issues at all. It understood the commands I gave it first time every time.

Then put my iPhone 5 in front of the Nav unit and said "I need directions", Siri asked to where and I gave it an exact address and then the iPhone lit up in Nav mode and began guiding me. Really cool and again it worked flawlessly the first time I tried it.

Oh yeah, nice car RDXinNETX.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:04 AM
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I wonder if this will be free to everyone ?
Old 01-30-2013, 06:32 AM
Cruisin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This would be an excellent selling point to buying the tech package.

For those lucky enough to beta test it, please update us with news for this feature.

@QN52, I'd also be curious about the cost. If it'll cost to purchase the app, or if there is a subscription for the service, or if it's a combination of both.
Old 01-30-2013, 10:05 AM
Advanced

One minor complaint so far.

When I got in my RDX this morning and started to stream via Bluetooth my iPhone had defaulted back to my music instead of Pandora. So I thought "No problem". I held my button in and said "Open Pandora". Unfortunately, Siri then told me something like "To maintain the safe operation of your vehicle, I can't do this for you". Bummer.

This is not an Acura issue, it is a limitation that Apple has put on Eyes Free. I'm not too worried because the biggest advantage of just using your car to access the features on your iPhone is that changes and enhancements come out all the time instead of being stuck with a fixed set of features in your car.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM
Advanced

Siri Eyes Free coming to 2013 Honda Accord, along with Acura RDX and ILX

Honda and Acura to offer Convenience of Apple's SiriTM Eyes Free on Select 2013 Vehicles

TORRANCE, Calif., Jan. 30, 2013 – American Honda today announced it will integrate support for Siri, the intelligent assistant that helps you get things done just by asking, into its 2013 Honda Accord and Acura RDX and ILX models as a dealer installed option. Later this year, owners with a compatible iPhone* running iOS 6 can direct Siri to perform a number of specific tasks while they safely keep their eyes on the road and their hands on the wheel. Using Eyes Free mode, Siri takes hands-free functionality even further and minimizes distractions even more by keeping your iOS device's screen from lighting up.

"iPhone has become so integral to people's lives that they continue to use them in their vehicles, " said Vicki Poponi, assistant vice president of automobile product planning, American Honda. "Offering Honda and Acura owners Siri and its Eyes Free mode via Bluetooth is an incredible opportunity to provide next-generation connectivity and meet our customer's ever-changing needs."

Honda recognizes the power of Siri and Eyes Free mode as an in-vehicle tool that will help meet the connectivity and convenience needs of its customers in a responsible manner. Honda has reengineered its software to seamlessly integrate Siri Eyes Free mode into its Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® via the onboard microphone and speakers.

* Siri is available in Beta only on iPhone 4S, iPhone 5, iPad (3rd and 4th generations), iPad mini and iPod touch (5th generation), and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or in all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
I just got this feature myself as well with my iPhone 5. The functionality is great except that you cannot open Spotify (which I use a lot) with the command. Other than that, it's a pretty good feature.

I hope that they can integrate the address to the actual Navigation system later on. That will be great.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:31 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Way cool! Add me to the MacGeek/Amber Brownstone family. I almost postponed buying a car this year until an Eyes Free SUV was available, Looks like I got lucky! Keep posting updates!

One question: what button on the steering wheel directs to the iPhone? Is it the same as the normal voice menu?
Old 01-31-2013, 02:36 AM
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does the old-fashioned way still work too?

Lanman,

Do you still have the ability to access all of Siri's functions (e.g. "Open Pandora") the old-fashioned way -- by holding down the Home button on the phone and then speaking into the bluetooth microphone?

Or does the Eyes Free Mode impose any new safety lockouts on doing things the old way?

Just wondering if there's any downside before I go get the upgrade on Saturday!

Thanks!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:07 AM
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
jbiebes,

You can still use the original functionality using the iPhone's home button. Just won't work when you use the steering control.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:51 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by jbiebes
Lanman,

Do you still have the ability to access all of Siri's functions (e.g. "Open Pandora") the old-fashioned way -- by holding down the Home button on the phone and then speaking into the bluetooth microphone?

Or does the Eyes Free Mode impose any new safety lockouts on doing things the old way?

Just wondering if there's any downside before I go get the upgrade on Saturday!

Thanks!

Yep, using Siri via the iPhone home button works as before.

Go for it!
Old 01-31-2013, 10:52 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by GarrettinSF
Way cool! Add me to the MacGeek/Amber Brownstone family. I almost postponed buying a car this year until an Eyes Free SUV was available, Looks like I got lucky! Keep posting updates!

One question: what button on the steering wheel directs to the iPhone? Is it the same as the normal voice menu?
It is the same button, you just press and hold to use Siri.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:28 PM
4th Gear

Works great! It's nice to ask "how's my calendar" or "set a reminder..." hands-free while driving.
Old 02-01-2013, 03:16 PM
7th Gear

I don't think I'd like it. I'd be telling that beyaach on my wife's phone where to put it and how not being an apple product enthusiast to use the PG rated reference.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:57 AM
10th Gear

This is great news and looks like a great gadget. I use Siri almost daily, mostly for stupid things, just to make sure she is still alive!! LOL So use the normal button on the steering wheel (press and hold) and Siri will be active?

Cool can't wait
Old 02-02-2013, 12:33 PM
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
TSB B13-004 has a small amount of information on Siri Eyes Free. The last page is the sheet that the user receives. I am looking forward to getting it added. I am hoping it makes up for some of the flaws in the navigation / current HFL.

Hopefully it will be general availability soon.
Old 03-22-2013, 10:03 PM
1st Gear

I was wondering if anyone has heard about when this would be available to the public? As a new RDX owner and an iPhone owner I would love to get this installed.
Thanks!
Old 03-27-2013, 06:56 PM
Advanced

Hmm... Siri Eyes Free + Navtool ... I think I have my solution !
Old 04-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Cruisin'

Siri beta

No I didn't so I'm jealous. Any contact info you can share in order to get on the list? I bought my RDX three weeks ago and asked the dealer about the beta program. They were clueless. If you'd rather not be a beta tester can you pass it on to a new friend?
Old 04-22-2013, 01:59 PM
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Any updates on when this will be released?
Old 04-22-2013, 02:03 PM
Advanced

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
My dealer is clueless too. I asked and no joy.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:03 PM
1st Gear

Is this Siri feature similar to what Apple announced today with their new IOS 7 car integration? I would love to get that in my car, but i assume this will only be in new cars with completely different hardware.
Old 06-12-2013, 01:00 PM
OG

Received 162 Likes on 100 Posts
Update should be this fall with the rollout of IOS7
Old 06-20-2013, 03:36 PM
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Type X
Update should be this fall with the rollout of IOS7
Nope.

Siri Eyes Free has nothing to do with iOS7. It just makes the phone button trigger Siri when held down. It works with iOS6+ and many cars already on the market have it. So we're just waiting for Acura to officially release it for the RDX.

The iOS7 feature is "iOS in the Car" which ports an iOS interface to the car's screen. The 2013/14 RDX is unlikely to get that feature since it requires a touchscreen interface. I would guess that the RLX and 2014 MDX will get it, but not the RDX since it lacks the touchscreen.
Old 06-29-2013, 03:40 PM
10th Gear

I've had my 2014 Base FWD (Graphite Luster/Ebony) for a week now and I'm LOVING it, but Siri integration w/ my iPhone5 would just be icing on the cake!

Hope to hear some fresh news about it at some point in the near future! The dealer was clueless as to the time-frame or cost when I was purchasing. The closest I got to an answer was, "later this year... maybe fall?".
Old 07-14-2013, 02:29 PM
3rd Gear

Any news??

Don't you find it extremely upsetting that there is a huge press release on Siri support with RDX 2013 and then 6 month later no word still on how to get it or when it is going to be available?
I'm getting more and more annoyed with how Honda deal with their customers...
Old 07-14-2013, 03:35 PM
Advanced

Folks- I suggest we all start tweeting about it - it seems that Honda is listening on Twitter but enthusiast forums don't get the same attention?
Old 07-16-2013, 07:09 PM
Instructor

I just saw a commercial showing that Siri Eyes Free is available on the Chevrolet Sonic... Surely Acura can't be THAT far behind Chevy...
Old 07-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
We've have a 2013 Accord since Thanksgiving 2012 and our dealer hasn't mentioned anything for it either.

Quick Reply: 2013 RDX Siri Eyes Free Mode- beta email