Winter Testing

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2012, 04:57 PM
9th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Winter Testing

Was the new RDX subjected to the rigorous winter testing in Baudette, Minnesota similar to other models prior to production?

I'm wondering how my new AWD RDX will hold up in the local mountains when the white stuff gets deep. Since it's almost summer I'm positive no one here has driven in the snow yet.
Old 06-15-2012, 08:45 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I would imagine it would be very similar to a CR-V given that its basically the same AWD system/platform (other than the power train/transmission). If you research the CR-V and how that tests in winter weather on a Honda forum or youtube/online, the results should be similar if not identical.
Old 06-16-2012, 01:09 PM
9th Gear

Originally Posted by madrye28
I would imagine it would be very similar to a CR-V given that its basically the same AWD system/platform (other than the power train/transmission). If you research the CR-V and how that tests in winter weather on a Honda forum or youtube/online, the results should be similar if not identical.

Thanks, already tried that route but I think the difference in engine size/tranny would make a real world difference in performance. Maybe I could contact Acura directly but perhaps we won't realize winter performance until winter actually rolls around.

Similar? Probably. But they're is very little info on the new CRV driving in the snow as well.
Old 06-16-2012, 02:44 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Here is an "off road" test. I know its not a snow/winter test, but the reviewer was VERY impressed on how the AWD performed and handled off-road.
Old 06-16-2012, 04:31 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Received 432 Likes on 299 Posts
Maybe I can help with this. I've owned 3 CRV's. An 07, 09, and currently have an '11...which will be gone within a week for my new RDX.

As most know, the new RDX has the AWD system that the CRV has...which is almost exactly the same as my 3 CRV's, but, just improved a little.

I can say....that in all the winter driving here in Colorado I could not praise their system more. I took out the 07 when I first owned it...and found a "lonely road" to just see how the AWD handled on the snow and icy roads. It was great!! It was hard for me to get it "out of shape" and the grip was great. Better tires help too. The new RDX does have a pretty good Michelin tire on it. The overall best....non "snow tire" really is the Continental DWS tire. Unfortunately, even though they make tons of sizes....the RDX tire is an "oddball" size. Cont. does not currently have that exact size. 235/60/18.

I have the Conti DWS's on my '12 Accord Cpe. Great tire in all respects. Read about it and all the specs and reviews on TireRack.com. I was tipped off about this tire from the ex Service Mgr. of my Honda Dealer. He is a friend and has been using this tire on his Acura TL, and his BMW X3. He has told other's about it, and the feedback has always been "thumbs up." I hope Conti comes out with this size.

But, I personally feel the new RDX with this Michelin Primacy MXM4 tire will do great.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:17 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
I have the Conti DWS's on my '12 Accord Cpe. Great tire in all respects. Read about it and all the specs and reviews on TireRack.com. I was tipped off about this tire from the ex Service Mgr. of my Honda Dealer. He is a friend and has been using this tire on his Acura TL, and his BMW X3. He has told other's about it, and the feedback has always been "thumbs up." I hope Conti comes out with this size.

But, I personally feel the new RDX with this Michelin Primacy MXM4 tire will do great.
Similar pov here about the Contis...after about 15k on my TL I have been happy with their all season handling, manners, and relative quietness. That said, the Michelin's that come on the RDX have rec'd similarly positive reviews and they seem matched well with the RDX characteristics. OEM tires are not always so good, but in this case Acura seems to hit the mark for the best compromise between quietness, wet/dry and snow traction, and roll resistance. As we all know, tires (inflation & wear) make a signifcant difference in multi-season handling performance.

I respectfully don't agree with projecting RDX weather & emergency handling behavior/capability based on the performance of the new CR-V. Not only are tire sizes different (profile and radius), but other contributory differences include weight and distribution, length/width/height and suspension tuning. Sharing the same AWD system I would not anticipate a night and day difference in situations where AWD is a predominant factor, but there will be differences. For example, Consumer Reports and another source noted that the 2012 CR-V loses some composure on certain types of cornering that were not an issue in the previous generation. Not a crisis for sure. But I have not yet seen those types of in-depth controlled reviews for the the '13 RDX.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by Doug W.; 06-16-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: typos & syntax correction
Old 06-16-2012, 10:50 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Doug W.......No in depth reviews yet for the RDX....but, I do know this.....Acura takes their newly redesigned vehicles to weather extremes during testing. I am confident that the AWD system...even though it is based on the '12 CRV, will do quite well on snow and wet conditions. As you said there are other factors involved.....and by all accounts the RDX has a much better suspension set up than the CRV. And, the tires chosen by Acura for the RDX are head and shoulders above the "junk" tires they always put on the CRV's. I had the same Michelins on my '11 CRV. They were great in the snow.

So, for me, so summarize and close this out....again, I firmly believe that the AWD RDX will do just fine this coming winter.
One thing I look at and depend on the most....is MY personal experience with a vehicles performance. Yes, I've read and subscribe to Consumer Reports...as well as reading everything I can find on any subject I'm interested in. Along with owning now my 60th vehicle...and 6 Honda Motor Corp. vehicles in a row....in 6 years actually.....I have some background to use when I express my opinion.

I got word my RDX has arrived early....YEAH!!.....and I will be picking it up later in the week.

Again....great forum and good folks here. It's informative and fun to "toss subjects around" and hopefully....at times....we all may learn a little something that might help us.

Have a Great Father's Day to all the men....and to the ladies....have a great day with your fathers, if that applies.
Old 06-17-2012, 04:04 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Colorado Guy - my apology for not being clear. The point of my comments is that the differences between the two cars is enough that I think we should not presume the same handling characteristics. I think you are basically saying the same. While I anticipate the new RDX to demonstrate at least as good, if not better handling, I suggest one not draw conclusions until credible testing is presented.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:51 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

Doug W.....Thanks...wow you are so technical. I try to keep it simple as possible. No disrespect at all. All I was saying was that based on what I knew already, I felt the RDX would do just fine. And you agreed. No assumptions were being made on my part based on "no RDX test results in winter," but, just my "gut, educated, experienced feelings." Since I could teach most anyone on all the major systems of a jumbo jet....and I did as a profession....I don't think getting too technical here is necessary....unless someone has exact tech. info. to a specific question. And then only keep it to a minium.

So, we agree.....the '13 RDX AWD will "most likely" do great in winter conditions." Right??

Thanks!
Old 06-18-2012, 01:28 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Guy AF Ret.
So, we agree.....the '13 RDX AWD will "most likely" do great in winter conditions." Right??
I agree fully with you but to be honest, as with anything in life, it all boils down to common sense. An AWD vehicle is equipped with technology to ASSIST the driver, not replace it. I have seen a 4X4 truck lose control, flip in the ditch just in front of me two winters ago....Bad weather conditions YES, however, me and my 2008 Rabbit with ALL SEASON tires just proceeded home with no problem.

This is not directed at you Colorado Guy....but rather, as a general statement to all members here. Use common sense when driving and don't put all your eggs in the car basket.
Old 06-18-2012, 01:46 PM
Car Crazy for Sure!

weather..... is totally right. The systems our AWD's have, and the tires, etc, are there to make it somewhat easier to navigate the snowy, icy roads. And they do a great job. To think they will save you in any kind of situation...is wrong...period. How you drive and utilize what your vehicle has to offer is what will protect you the most.

For me, that's why I drive my new cars/SUV's in a safe area....on snowy slick roads to see how they will act/react to acceleration, stopping, turning, etc. You've got to know your vehicles limitations.

And, the same goes on dry roads with all the systems we have now.....Anti lock brakes, etc, etc. They will help a lot....but, if you "overdrive" even these systems you could end up.....upside down!
The following users liked this post:
weather (06-18-2012)
Old 11-08-2012, 09:28 AM
9th Gear

Bumping this one. I figure someone has driven in snow by now. It is November and snow is finally falling somewhere.
Old 11-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Pro

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Donger
Bumping this one. I figure someone has driven in snow by now. It is November and snow is finally falling somewhere.
Unfortunately...for the folks in NY and NJ.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:27 PM
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
I'm in NY but unfortunately I have nothing to contribute since the RDX has been sitting in the driveway for over a week on empty. The gas situation here is awful.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:49 PM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Traveling in north central Idaho this week, I traveled about 100 miles on a highway covered with 3-4 inches of new snow and considerable ice underneath. With the factory stock all-season Michelins, I had no problems with basic traction at necessary slower-than-usual speeds, although turning traction was weak. On several occasions, the icy underlayer was hazardous, and made turning response and handling questionable, at best. Stopping distances were obviously much longer than usual, even with ABS functioning.

For those who will drive their RDX in light or deep snow, or who expect to encounter freezing rain or icy roads, I'd strongly advise purchasing a set of high-rated studless snow tires, like Blizzaks or Michelin Xi2s. For those (like me) who expect to drive occasionally through deeper snows, I'd suggest upsizing from 235 60R18 to 235 65R 18 to provide a bit more ground clearance, with minimal impact on speedometer functions. My snow tires are on order now.

I'll update after my next trip, hopefully with snow tires on all four wheels.
The following users liked this post:
Donger (11-13-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 01:51 PM
9th Gear

Bump!

Hoping someone else in the colder regions will chime in with more info. Thanks backwoody for your input.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:59 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts
I'm from a colder region. It's -8F right now and the heater output is more than adequate. It also warms up quickly. That's whats important to me.
Traction is a function of tire selection. The RDX is going to perform about the same as any of the other AWD Crossovers.