What else did you consider prior to your RDX purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 12:22 PM
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
What else did you consider prior to your RDX purchase?

I doubt very few of us buy the RDX without giving some amount of consideration to the competition.

What else did you consider and why did you ultimately chose the RDX?
Old 09-30-2014, 08:22 PM
Advanced

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
GMC Terrain V6 - This was the competitor we most seriously considered. Sliding rear seats are nice. Has several features unavailable on RDX. The narrowness of the cargo area was the deal breaker.

Nissan Pathfinder - Felt like I was driving a bus.

Nissan Maxima - I really liked the way it drove, but the wife wanted a CUV.

Accord V6 - Nice, but not a CUV

If it had been strictly up to me, we would have gotten a sedan, but I've come around to appreciate the versatility of the RDX.
Old 09-30-2014, 11:29 PM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Murrow
GMC Terrain V6 - This was the competitor we most seriously considered. Sliding rear seats are nice. Has several features unavailable on RDX. The narrowness of the cargo area was the deal breaker.

Nissan Pathfinder - Felt like I was driving a bus.

Nissan Maxima - I really liked the way it drove, but the wife wanted a CUV.

Accord V6 - Nice, but not a CUV

If it had been strictly up to me, we would have gotten a sedan, but I've come around to appreciate the versatility of the RDX.
My wife dislikes Nissan with a passion but even she doesn't understand. I think a friend of hers had one that was problematic.

We were looking at higher end vehicles but the thought of putting more than a RDX costs into a vehicle that will see about 75 a day wasn't appealing.

We did look at the CX-5 - nice vehicle but not as comfortable as the Acura. If we hadn't gotten the Acura at the right price, we'd probably be in it.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I haven't purchased yet as I am still in shopping around mode, but I have been looking at the RDX and the new Subaru Outback.

We have decided we want an AWD car for those rare wintery moments we get north of Dallas that can shut the city down for a couple of days. We are both in healthcare so we need to be able to get to work regardless of weather and road conditions. Seeing as I drive a Subie Legacy right now (and love it), that is why Subaru is on the final list. Reliability is top-notch, dealer service is luxury car level, and the 2015 Outback is soooo much nicer than before that it warrants consideration. With a whole slew of updated safety technology and radical improvements in the quality and design of interior materials the Outback is in the running. Equipped as I would want it the price is in the RDXs neighborhood.

The RDX is on the list because of Acura's reputation for quality, looks, performance, and pricing. There are a number of things it lacks in comparison to the Subaru (technology and feature-wise) that I am hoping the MMC will fix (and considering the extent of the refresh of the CR-V just announced, I am confident the short-comings will be corrected). The level of dealer service in a luxury brand is also a factor in my purchase. If they get the feature set right on the refreshed RDX, I wouldn't mind a commensurate increase in price.

Other cars that blipped on the radar were the Lincoln MkC, but we own a 2013 Ford Explorer and it is a piece of junk, so Lincoln is knocked off the list. The X3 and Q5 also garnered some investigation but I don't trust German reliability/dependability. I also like the MDX especially for its looks and features but am looking for something a bit more compact.

Decision time will come later after the MMC is revealed and a set of extensive test drives of both vehicles occurs.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:22 PM
Intermediate

I once was stranded at a truck stop just outside of Dallas due to an ice storm. And then, there was the time I was driving from Shreveport to Dallas and the interstate was literally one piece of ice. Ah....good times. I would have killed to have a 4WD or at least, an AWD.

We considered an EU delivery of the Macan, a Q5 or a GLK but my concerns were similar to yours re reliability. Of a larger concern was piling on the miles to a vehicle that cost more than $50k. The RDX was more or less in the sweet spot of cost, comfort & engine performance. Of course, my previous commuter car was an '07 Honda Civic Hybrid with 106,000 miles so anything is pretty much a step-up from it.

Good luck with your process.
Old 10-01-2014, 06:36 PM
Resident Metal Head

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Infiniti QX50- Liked the sporty feel, fit and finish was nice, but lack of cargo space was a turn-off(came very close to getting one of these)

Audi Q5- Too expensive to get everthing we wanted. Very nice though. (3rd runner up)

Nissan Pathfinder- Priced too high to get the same amenities as the RDX

Nissan Murano- ^same deal with the pricing and cargo space was too small

Ford Edge Sport- overpriced
Old 10-01-2014, 09:43 PM
OG

Received 163 Likes on 100 Posts
Audi all road
Old 10-01-2014, 09:54 PM
Cruisin'

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I looked at everything from Toyota 4Runner (too rough riding), Subaru Outback (too unrefined, poor braking feel), to Jeep Grand Cherokee and Audi Q5. It ultimately came down to the Jeep, Audi, or RDX. Took the Jeep home for a few days, but then started hearing about a lot of reliability issues and hated the poor mileage (hint: no one is getting the advertised 25 highway). Ultimately I just didn't fall in love with it. The Audi was my favorite, but I couldn't afford the one with all the cool features, the 3.0 with Prestige package, and really wanted the B&O sound system. So the RDX had more features for the price than all competitors. It isn't perfect, I have a lot of mods in mind, but it is a good well rounded car.
Old 10-01-2014, 11:25 PM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We looked at:

Audi Q5 - was pricey for features the RDX had and it had that back seat floor bump which was a deal-killer.
Toyota Venza - probably at the end of its life.
Lexus RX350 - too pricey for what it is... a slightly larger RDX.
Land Rover Evoque - drove very nice and stylish, but was too small and got pricey to have the things I wanted.
Mazda CX-5 - stylish but thought it was underpowered.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Funny. I ruled out RDX during our first around of selection because it uses premium gas. Test drove all types of cars in different price range and brands and finally went back to RDX. Cars we looked at:

RX350 - My next choice. Hesitate to pull the trigger because of: soccer mom's car, last model year, pricey
CR-V - Worst of all the cars test drove. Not sure why people rave about this car. Steering is terrible on the highway - had to constantly adjust left and right and I hate that unstable feeling. Also feels small. I know RDX is actually based on CR-V but it feels a lot wider and drives so much better. Read some reviews saying 2015 is much improved on steering.
Nissan Rogue - Actually liked it. Much better handling than CR-V and more bells and whistles. NHTSA rating is scary and reliability doesn't seem very good.
Highlander - Pricey. For the price, would rather get the RX350. 3rd row seat is a joke.
MDX - too big and pricey for a commuter car.
Old 10-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Cruisin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
oh, and of course, Lexus NX200t - Like the specs, but couldn't wait for its launch.
Old 10-04-2014, 09:21 AM
10th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
When my wife and I finally decided it was time to replace her still-perfectly running 2003 Accord, I suggested a CUV for better visibility and protection. I thought it would also be nice to have larger cargo capacity when we need it.

As a Mazda fan, my favorite going in was the CX-5 because it looked, felt, and drove just right. When the 2.5 model came out, I test-drove the AWD version and - while it didn't have instantaneous response - the car seemed adequate for the mild use my wife would put it through.

Come buying time, I had her just sit on the driver's side and her first comment was that the dash and IP area looked "plain, just like my Accord." I thought that it was more "restrained" than "plain" but, well, it was going to be her car.

Next we looked at the just-introduced Rogue, which she liked. Seeing it on the road, however, the car looked over-styled and forced to accommodate the optional 3rd row. Also, while it had the rear air vents, it didn't have seat memory - the latter being important since I'd drive it 30% of the time.

The current and just restyled RAV4 we didn't even look at because it still seems a segment down from the mainstream CUVs.

Considered pre-owned Lexus RXs but for a bit more we could get a new RDX.

Finally, despite her reluctance to test-drive the RDX, my wife agreed and she fell in love with it. With a clear candidate decided upon, a hard search for the best deal wound us up with the 2015 FWD Tech. Not perfect, but it was the least imperfect of other alternatives at our price point.
Old 10-04-2014, 05:06 PM
2014 RDX AWD Tech

Received 354 Likes on 325 Posts
Originally Posted by benromana
When my wife and I finally decided it was time to replace her still-perfectly running 2003 Accord, I suggested a CUV for better visibility and protection. I thought it would also be nice to have larger cargo capacity when we need it.

As a Mazda fan, my favorite going in was the CX-5 because it looked, felt, and drove just right. When the 2.5 model came out, I test-drove the AWD version and - while it didn't have instantaneous response - the car seemed adequate for the mild use my wife would put it through.

Come buying time, I had her just sit on the driver's side and her first comment was that the dash and IP area looked "plain, just like my Accord." I thought that it was more "restrained" than "plain" but, well, it was going to be her car.

Next we looked at the just-introduced Rogue, which she liked. Seeing it on the road, however, the car looked over-styled and forced to accommodate the optional 3rd row. Also, while it had the rear air vents, it didn't have seat memory - the latter being important since I'd drive it 30% of the time.

The current and just restyled RAV4 we didn't even look at because it still seems a segment down from the mainstream CUVs.

Considered pre-owned Lexus RXs but for a bit more we could get a new RDX.

Finally, despite her reluctance to test-drive the RDX, my wife agreed and she fell in love with it. With a clear candidate decided upon, a hard search for the best deal wound us up with the 2015 FWD Tech. Not perfect, but it was the least imperfect of other alternatives at our price point.
Congratulations on your new car. We're sure you'd like it as much as we all do. Enjoy.
The following users liked this post:
benromana (10-04-2014)
Old 10-04-2014, 07:07 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I had researched all the different vehicles.My wife wanted a more comfy ride than the Tacoma we had,and wanted leather seats.I test drove a CRV,and I liked it,but it felt too cramped,and the seat was uncomfortable.I was having back issues at the time,so I went shopping for a seat that felt great,and if I liked what it was bolted down too,I'd buy it! I sat in every Toyota,too hard.The Avalon was too low.Consumers rated the RAV4 as not a safe vehicle,so I skipped that one.When I sat in and drove my 2015 fwd RDX,that was it! It's got the best seats front and back of all the ones I tested,and I sit up just the perfect height.Now that I've had it awhile,I'm starting to really enjoy it.If I had to go out shopping again,I think I'd buy it all over again.
Old 10-06-2014, 11:53 AM
CBP TLX

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts
RDX was replacement car for wife...

Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Wife really liked this vehicle. Almost bought but dealer was playing BS games during negotiations and we walked.
BMW X3 - Nice CUV but way too pricey when optioned up.
Audi Q5 - See above
Old 10-07-2014, 06:39 PM
Advanced

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
It's a tough call when looking for a CUV/SUV these days. Many people seem to enjoy their new Jeeps, but I just can't bring myself to buy one. It's gonna take a generation or two of solid reliability to convince me they have turned a new page in building quality vehicles.

The Highlander is still near top of my list and I am anticipating big things with the new Pilot coming out soon. In saying all that, my local Acura dealer is hard to walk away from (great past experience) and I will likely go RDX tech in the new year... the question is... can I hold out for the MMC refresh?
Old 10-08-2014, 12:01 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by McMilli501
It's a tough call when looking for a CUV/SUV these days. Many people seem to enjoy their new Jeeps, but I just can't bring myself to buy one. It's gonna take a generation or two of solid reliability to convince me they have turned a new page in building quality vehicles.

The Highlander is still near top of my list and I am anticipating big things with the new Pilot coming out soon. In saying all that, my local Acura dealer is hard to walk away from (great past experience) and I will likely go RDX tech in the new year... the question is... can I hold out for the MMC refresh?
It's almost hard to go wrong once you're above the $30,000 price point. We were in the low end of that amount and I'm reasonably happy with the purchase.
Old 10-08-2014, 11:38 PM
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Test drove the following

2013 Toyota Highlander: Loved the stature of the car on the road (large and in charge). Smooth power delivery and a freakishly roomy interior made it hard to turn down. However, I wanted to lease and they were going to change the body up in under a year so I decided to hold back.

2013 Nissan Murano: Honestly, this SUV was a pretty bad driving experience. My sales agent was a jerk and made me drive it around the parking lot instead of urban streets because he was about to head out soon. I thought he was joking. All terrible service aside, it felt much bigger than it needed to be. I believe the powerplant is mated to a CVT, and it felt like the car was always working hard even for the smallest tasks.

2013 VW Tiguan: Peppy engine and excellent interior. Smallest of the lot though and didnt have the hatch space I needed. Also, the exhaust note of the car is nice except it sounds like deeeeep bass when youre in the 15kmph to 30kmph range. I kept checking the sound system to make sure nothing was on.

2013Acura RDX: The only luxury car I drove in my search because I was getting a killer deal. Powerplant / transmission combo was brilliant. The car exuded elegance compared to what I had test driven so I pulled the trigger on it pretty quick.

2 years later, love it. Wish it had back seat vents though. I still don't get the obsession with passenger height adjust. I've had passengers as short as 5'0 and tall as 6'4 up there and not a single issue.