A Vent, and Then Some...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 08:31 PM
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
A Vent, and Then Some...

The once trusted shop near work has become the shop I run from.

They were a recommendation when I first got my RDX in April 2016. I got the car checked out and brought it up to my level of understanding of what sound reliability means for this car. I've taken it in whenever the oil read between 5% - 30%, which happens to fall near every 5k to 6k miles. I've taken it in for pre road trip inspections. They've always been candid about their experiences with RDXs. I can't remember a pickup where the parting words were not, "great car; you're taking good care of it."

Today, as usual, I bring it in at 7:30a, with 95,000 miles on it, and have always (in the last 8 visits) heard from them by 11 am for either an update or a "your car is ready for pick-up" call. Always by 11am. I brought it in for just the usual maintenance stuff; there are no smells, slips, shudders, nothing. Just want to be that responsible owner...I've grown to loathe the auto buying experience and want this one to last a very long time.

No call at 11am, noon, or 1pm.

At 1:30 I get a call and they list a slew of not-yet critical services I need:

brake fluid (because the amber message told me so)
rotors
calipers
transmission flush
key fob needs a new battery ($18.00...yes, eighteen dollars for a 2032 battery)
rear differential
filters

AND THEN, the mechanic starts rattling off all the things I'll need at the 105K service
timing belt
water pump

Then without much of a breath, he concludes with, "so, with all that, if you do it today, you'll be about $1600 out the door."

First, there is only 2 hours left in the day.

Secondly, $1600 will include two major events that don't have to happen now?!

There have been no maintenance minders, and I remind them that they already did the differential (which I brought in after I got a second opinion), so where is that coming from. Lickity split, they find the record of it being done and quickly and move on to the other trying to get me to authorize everything else. I've already counted several red flags and plan on authorizing as little as possible with these guys and taking my car somewhere else.

I end the call but call back after about 20 minutes, telling them to do the original request of oil change, fluid check, regular maintenance.

About two hours later, after picking up a new $4.00 batter for the fob, I am walking to the shop to get my car. I get a call that I need a new oil pan because the threaded plug has broken and they can't fix it.

Huh...interesting that THAT happened.

After one simple expletive, I ask "how much"?

$475.00

I can't tell them to put it all together and drive away; so, I tell them to do the oil pan, and then I'll pick it up. I'll wait. The shop manager comes to me and tells me there is no way they will get it done today.

Oy.

Sudden oil pan issue? Didn't see history that differential was already done? Didn't separate the 105k recommended services from current services (authorized or not)? An $18.00 fob battery?!

BUSTED.

I realize that some of these items are legit and will need to be done soon, but ... really? So disappointed.

So, if you live in Denver, please share your Acura mechanic/shop recommendations. Even you recommend your dealer, I'll consider it.

Last edited by 2013rdxbase; 01-23-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:01 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Sorry you had such a foul experience. That oil pan thing sounds suspect. Was it broken when you took it to them? I would say not....so how was it suddenly broken and in need of replacement after they did an oil change? I wager they screwed up the threads when screwing back in the pan bolt plug. Just my 2 cents...

I live in Denver. Have always taken my Acura (TSX, TLX, and now RDX) to the dealer. I have way more experience with Mile High than I do Courtesy. But Courtesy does get great reviews, and since I bought my RDX from them, that's where I'll be taking it. I'll have my first interaction with them here in the next couple of days to have 2 key fobs programmed. I bought the remote start and installed it myself but of course can't program the FOBs. They said they'd charge me $88 to program the pair. I called a locksmith and they were going to charge $150. Usually the cost difference is reversed....
Old 01-23-2018, 09:42 PM
Advanced

@ZAXDude
Thanks. I'll check them out.

Oil pan had no issues before I brought it in.

$88 is better than $150 for sure. Did you post your remote start install? I'm tempted to try it.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:55 AM
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 49 Posts
To be fair about the key fob. They are not going to charge you the same price as if you bought a battery yourself and swapped it. I agree $10 would likely be more fair, but then again, I can buy a 2032 battery on EBay for .50 cents(https://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-cr2032-3v-lithium-battery-x-5pcs-batteries-Fresh-USA-Seller-Exp-2026/253146356875?epid=1757644892&hash=item3af0b2dc8b:g :zFgAAOSwdGFYo28z), does that mean the $4 you paid is a rip off?

As for the oil pan, I would be asking for it to be comped as if they have been doing the oil changes so far with no issues, it should be on them if they broke the oil plug....
Old 01-24-2018, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by 2013rdxbase
@ZAXDude
Thanks. I'll check them out.

Oil pan had no issues before I brought it in.

$88 is better than $150 for sure. Did you post your remote start install? I'm tempted to try it.
I didn't post anything related to the remote start install. I have a 2018 Tech, so if yours is a "Base" (as guessed simply by your user name), your install would be different than my own was I believe. I think the Base uses a different remote start accessory than the Tech.

But I will tell folks that in the end, it wasn't hard at all. Most steps just involve popping off a part - so much is held simply by clips. Hardest part was getting to the screws beneath & behind the center electronics stack. The Acura instructions said to unplug everyone one of the wiring connectors; in the end I didn't do that. Instead I removed only a couple which allowed me the distance needed to get to the connector wire that plug into the remote start control box. Then everything just snapped back into place after. I'm assuming it did it all correctly; won't know until I get the FOBs programmed. The install probably took me 90 minutes, but if I had to do it again, I could probably finish it in about 30 minutes. The biggest hurdle and time consumer for me was being faced with all those wires and trying to figure out if I actually had to disconnect all of them (reconnecting them would have been brutal). I think Acura may have placed that step in the instructions just to scare folks away from doing the accessory install.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:30 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
The dealer does this sort of thing too with all the service offers. You just have to say no like you did. Regarding the oil pan, if they changed your oil before then they likely screwed it up before or the service they just did.. Have never had this problem. Would never let anyone else than Acura do a timing belt. Need someone who knows how to do this labour intensive job.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:05 PM
Advanced

I had one oil change done at the dealer last year, so I couldn't ask for the whole oil pan amount.

Got the car back and asked them to help me out with this, since it wasn't broken when I brought it in, and they did the last oil change in September. He said no, "if you read all the forums, you'll see this is a common issue with this part; the material is aluminum, thin...you'll eventually have to get it replaced..." I asked, what will you do for me, and he said the biggest discount he's allowed to give, which took $50.00 off the entire bill.

Pffft

In wrapping up my paperwork and paying, suddenly, the list of recommendations weren't as critical as initially presented.

I got hold of the shop I used to really like working with (I live farther away from them than before), and they're going to look over the list and then check my car.

Got it back...moving on.

I think I'll leave the remote install to another shop...wires challenge me.