Using CRV airbag recall as leverage for trading into RDX?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2016, 10:19 AM
Cruisin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Using CRV airbag recall as leverage for trading into RDX?

Hi all,

New member here so this may be wishful thinking...

We have an '09 CRV and received the airbag recall a few weeks ago. My wife drives the CRV and has been a little freaked out to drive this car, especially after reading about the terrible story in Texas this week.

We've been talking for a while about trading up to an RDX - the Honda dealer where we purchased the CRV has a few 13-15 RDX's that would fit the bill. I'm thinking we're either going to trade up to the CRV, or keep the CRV and ask the dealer to provide a rental while the parts are coming in (sounds like mid-late summer).

Assuming $30/day rental x 90 days, that's $2700 of expense if we were to keep that somebody will have to pay.

Would it make sense to make this point if negotiating for a trade? I suppose it really depends on who shoulders the rental cost, Honda or the dealer (I'm assuming Honda, but any insight would be great).

Any other strategies on how you would approach this trade would be appreciated...thanks!!
Old 04-08-2016, 11:02 AM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by airlyss
Hi all,

New member here so this may be wishful thinking...

We have an '09 CRV and received the airbag recall a few weeks ago. My wife drives the CRV and has been a little freaked out to drive this car, especially after reading about the terrible story in Texas this week.

We've been talking for a while about trading up to an RDX - the Honda dealer where we purchased the CRV has a few 13-15 RDX's that would fit the bill. I'm thinking we're either going to trade up to the CRV, or keep the CRV and ask the dealer to provide a rental while the parts are coming in (sounds like mid-late summer).

Assuming $30/day rental x 90 days, that's $2700 of expense if we were to keep that somebody will have to pay.

Would it make sense to make this point if negotiating for a trade? I suppose it really depends on who shoulders the rental cost, Honda or the dealer (I'm assuming Honda, but any insight would be great).

Any other strategies on how you would approach this trade would be appreciated...thanks!!
Hate to break the news, but the 2013 - 2015 RDX are all affected by the airbag recall as well. Unless, your Honda dealer already fixed their RDX's on the lot, you cannot trade in to those as well. I have a 2015 RDX and had tried trading-in to a 2016 (late build) RDX but the dealer quoted me $3.5k below KBB, so no go for us. And the other dealer that I emailed didn't even bother replying to my inquiry. We tried the rental as well but we are unable to find something comparable in any Enterprise in our location.

I don't think we have any leverage trading in a vehicle that is affected by a recall where the fix is a few months from now. We only have 3 options:
1. Rental route - it might be easier for you because you didn't pay premium with your CRV. RDX owners paid a premium and can only get non-premium/luxury rentals. Not really fair for RDX owners.
2. Cut your losses and trade it in.
3. Drive your CRV/RDX and pray that you don't get into an accident.

I suggest you read the Takata Airbag Recall thread to get more info.
Old 04-08-2016, 11:55 AM
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
13-15 RDXs are also affected by the airbag recall, so you are just trading one problem for another. I thought they are not supposed to sell those at the dealership? The dealer tried to use the airbag recall to give me less money for my trade, so unless you goto a dealership that cares more about your safety than money, good luck with that.
Old 04-08-2016, 01:01 PM
mrgold35

Received 1,545 Likes on 1,201 Posts
I'm really surprised other car manufacturers aren't taking advantage and offering deals to switch brands? Honda/Acura should give us full trade-in value and a discount on purchase/lease as an option? At around $35 - $50 per day X 120 days = $4,200 - $6,000.

With the fix for the airbags should be there for most of us by the end of summer. I would repair and save any paperwork to prove the work was done. It still might be 6-18 months before the next recall with another manufacturer makes us forget about Takata. I'm willing to keep my rental (Chevy Silverado LT 4dr), wait for a fix, keep my 08 RDX to +17, and make a decision then. Any decision now to sell before 2017 will come out of our pockets.

Last edited by mrgold35; 04-08-2016 at 01:04 PM.