Tips on applying touch-up paint

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 01:11 PM
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Tips on applying touch-up paint

Hi guys,

There is a chip mark on my hood and I have just picked up a touch-up paint from the dealership yesterday. I have experienced using a Honda touch-up paint that comes with a brush in the past but never use a pen touch-up paint. I think it is very difficult to use a pen touch-up paint especially on a small chip mark.

What is the procedure of applying a touch-up paint?
When should I apply a clear coat?
Old 08-09-2012, 02:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
yojcboy....I haven't seen the pen being provided by Acura on the RDX but does it have an a screw off cap? The one I have from my TSX (leftover) has a pen but if you unscree the cap, there is a brush also available. If that is the case and you like the brush, that would be an option....if the brush is too big and you don't like the pen, I frequently use a "toothpick" and just dab the tip and apply in the middle of the "chip" and allow the paint to fill the chip.

For a very small chip, I am not sure you need to apply the clear on it....
Old 08-10-2012, 01:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by weather
yojcboy....I haven't seen the pen being provided by Acura on the RDX but does it have an a screw off cap? The one I have from my TSX (leftover) has a pen but if you unscree the cap, there is a brush also available. If that is the case and you like the brush, that would be an option....if the brush is too big and you don't like the pen, I frequently use a "toothpick" and just dab the tip and apply in the middle of the "chip" and allow the paint to fill the chip.

For a very small chip, I am not sure you need to apply the clear on it....
Hey weather,

The one that I have doesn't have a brush. It looks like a felt pen with one side is the paint and the other side is a clear coat. You need to press the tip of the pen to the car really hard in order for the paint to come out.
Old 08-10-2012, 03:48 AM
Summer is Coming

Received 647 Likes on 373 Posts
I've used this on my old BMW with great results. I haven't used it on my TSX since I have a clear bra and NO paint chips in 6 years. I recommend it. It is basically a solvent that you use to get the paint 'blob' back flat with the surface. You let the paint dry, pretty much completly, then use this with a thin cloth and flat card to rub it flat.

http://www.langka.com/
Old 08-10-2012, 09:57 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1,267 Likes on 864 Posts
yojcboy...OK, that "felt" pen that you are describing was what I had for the RAV4 which worked well for me too....Much better than the Acura" ball pen type applicator which was why I was glad they had a brush also as part of the pen....
Old 08-10-2012, 02:24 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rocket_man
I've used this on my old BMW with great results. I haven't used it on my TSX since I have a clear bra and NO paint chips in 6 years. I recommend it. It is basically a solvent that you use to get the paint 'blob' back flat with the surface. You let the paint dry, pretty much completly, then use this with a thin cloth and flat card to rub it flat.

http://www.langka.com/
Thank you for sharing the link. The video looks great but I am still not 100% understand how does it work. Do I still require to use my own touch-up paint plus those 3 bottles together?